Star Wars Saga Blu Ray set confirmed to be in the works

All topics on all things Lucasfilm.
rexcrk
Anniversary Edition

Post by rexcrk »

^^ I was feeling a little down because a package I was expecting today didn't show up, but that deleted scene really cheered me up! Amazing!

And y'know? I don't need a completely restored version of the original versions of the original trilogy, I just want an anamorphic widescreen copy on either DVD or Blu-ray. :roll:
But the thing that makes Woody special, is he'll never give up on you... ever. He'll be there for you, no matter what.
DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

rexcrk wrote:^^ I was feeling a little down because a package I was expecting today didn't show up, but that deleted scene really cheered me up! Amazing!

And y'know? I don't need a completely restored version of the original versions of the original trilogy, I just want an anamorphic widescreen copy on either DVD or Blu-ray. :roll:
Same here. Doesn't matter if they are restored, just an anamorphic DVD version will do. I'm glad we got the Laserdisc transfers on DVD, but honestly they look terrible on a HDTV.

I'm excited about the Blu-ray release for scenes like the one above. Although I know more changes are probably going to be made to all the movies.

Anyway I sort of wish they had an option to just get the Originals instead of the entire Saga set. I rarely, if ever watch the Prequels and I'm fine with my DVD copies of them. The Originals (even the latest Special Editions) are some of my all time favorites, so an upgrade to Blu-ray is a must (even without any additional features).
rexcrk
Anniversary Edition

Post by rexcrk »

DarthPrime wrote:
rexcrk wrote:^^ I was feeling a little down because a package I was expecting today didn't show up, but that deleted scene really cheered me up! Amazing!

Same here. Doesn't matter if they are restored, just an anamorphic DVD version will do. I'm glad we got the Laserdisc transfers on DVD, but honestly they look terrible on a HDTV.
I know, I never had a problem with them on my old SDTV but then I got my HDTV and I was like "Ooohhhh so that's what people were bitching and moaning about" :lol:
But the thing that makes Woody special, is he'll never give up on you... ever. He'll be there for you, no matter what.
KubrickFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by KubrickFan »

DarthPrime wrote:

They do need restoration, otherwise good quality versions of the originals could be gone forever. Saying that it's a matter of costs is laughable. Lucas wouldn't have the funds to restore his own movies? Please. There's absolutely no reason to not include restored versions of the original trilogy on this Blu-ray set, apart from greed. I wish he would listen more to his friends and colleagues, like Spielberg, Coppola, Scorsese and Scott. They know that it's important to include the original version, and they actually do it.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

I watch the entire saga equally, so no complaints about the prequels being included.

And what an amazing scene! I wonder why they never included the deleted scenes-ones that never made the SE-as a bonus for the 2004 Box Set.
yamiiguy
Anniversary Edition

Post by yamiiguy »

Of course I'd love the Original's to be included but being born in 1996 means that I never saw them until they were released on DVD a few years ago and to be honest it doesn't bother me. I would rather the original trilogy with a CGI Yoda, fixed lightsabers, better SFX and Hayden Christensen as Force Anakin at the celebration.
DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

yamiiguy wrote:Of course I'd love the Original's to be included but being born in 1996 means that I never saw them until they were released on DVD a few years ago and to be honest it doesn't bother me. I would rather the original trilogy with a CGI Yoda, fixed lightsabers, better SFX and Hayden Christensen as Force Anakin at the celebration.
I can see a CGI Yoda in the Prequels (There are rumors that the puppet Yoda in Phantom Menace has/is being replaced.), but not in the Originals. I think it would completely ruin Empire and Jedi to replace him.

I'll agree whatever happened to the Lightsabers in the 2004 set was bad. Those need to be fixed. I have mixed feelings over Hayden at the end. It looks out of place, but its gotten better as I've seen it more.

I hope Lucas reworks the Jabba and Greedo/Han scenes again in Star Wars (A New Hope). Those still look terrible. I'm really not sure how he could make the Jabba scene work, and the Greedo/Han scene should just be restored to how it was in 1977.
rexcrk
Anniversary Edition

Post by rexcrk »

^^^ A CGI Yoda would also be a disgrace to Frank Oz's amazing puppetry! Although I wouldn't mind replacing the one in Phantom Menace which was pretty bad >_>

As for Hayden at the end of Return of the Jedi... I'm not sure how I feel about that. I actually think the biggest problem I have with that is how the hell would Luke know who that is? A good guess? lol

And I really hope they don't **** up the lightsabers this time either lol.
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

http://www.digitalbits.com/#081610

"Well... as you might expect the discussion today is all about Star Wars on Blu-ray. Predictably, a LOT of fans bemoan word that Lucasfilm is only including the special edition versions of the film, and not the theatrical cuts. It could easily be done via seamless branching, much like we're seeing on Fox's comprehensive Alien Anthology or as Sony did on their Close Encounters Blu-ray. It seems the sad reality is that creator George Lucas just doesn't want to include them. That's really a shame, and I'm sure Lucasfilm will be hearing an earful from fans. Still, as I said on Saturday, I am at least encouraged to finally see more of the vintage deleted material from the original films. Again, I just personally hope all the DVD color timing issues will be fixed (more in line with that of the the original Star Wars laserdisc box set) and that the Episode IV soundtrack issues will be fixed (the reversed score in the surrounds and the missing/dialed back trumpet fanfare when the X-Wings first dive to attack the Death Star). I guess we all have our nits to pick.

Speaking of deleted material, it's worth pondering at this point exactly what that deleted footage might be. There's little doubt we'll finally see the fully-digital Yoda in Episode I, and if I'm not mistaken an unfinished deleted scene from Episode II (in which group of Jedi led by Ki-Adi Mundi and Plo Koon attack the Droid Command Ship on Geonosis) appeared on Star Wars.com briefly. Maybe that will be included as well. From the original Star Wars, there's all that infamous deleted footage of Luke on Tatooine watching the space battle with binoculars (see image below), then telling his friends (in Anchorhead) about the battle and having a lengthy discussion about joining the Rebellion with Biggs. Plus there are shots of Han with a woman in the cantina in Mos Eisley. All of that appeared on the Star Wars: Behind the Magic CD-ROM, so it's reasonable to assume it could be on the Blu-rays. For Empire, there's the infamous "Wampa attack" on the Rebel Base material, and there was an alternate Han/Leia scene at Cloud City in the Empire of Dreams documentary. And for Jedi, we've just seen the scene in which Vader talks to Luke via the Force and Luke finishes building his lightsaber. (The footage is linked in Saturday's post.) There's also a missing scene in which - having just freed Han and Leia from Jabba the Hutt - everyone returns to the Falcon and Luke's X-Wing on Tatooine in the middle of a sandstorm (again, see image below). There are many other rumored scenes as well, so it'll be VERY interesting to see how much of it we'll finally get to see on the Blu-rays, and just how finished/polished the scenes will be. For those interested in the topic, Wookieepedia has a list of these rumored scenes, and T'Bone has a pretty good page dedicated to known details about the cut scenes (with photos) as well."
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT!:

http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/stor ... 135953.asp

"Pre-order Star Wars: The Complete Saga on Blu-ray Now!

The most anticipated Blu-ray release ever -- the Star Wars Saga -- emerges from light speed this September 2011. For the first time, all six of George Lucas' epic films (Episodes I-VI) are united in one complete set. Fans worldwide are able to pre-order now with online retailers.

Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment will release Star Wars in three distinct sets to meet the needs of every Star Wars fan:

* Star Wars: The Complete Saga on Blu-ray (9-disc Set includes all six films)
* Star Wars: Prequel Blu-ray Trilogy (3-disc set includes Episodes I-III)
* Star Wars: Original Blu-ray Trilogy (3-disc set includes Episodes IV-VI)

Star Wars: The Complete Saga on Blu-ray will feature all six live-action Star Wars feature films utilizing the highest possible picture and audio presentation, along with three additional discs and more than 30 hours of extensive special features including never-before-seen deleted and alternate scenes, an exploration of the exclusive Star Wars archives, and much more.

Star Wars: The Complete Saga on Blu-ray will be available for $139.99 US/$179.99 CAN and the Star Wars: Trilogy Sets for $69.99 US/89.99 CAN. Pricing for each set will vary by international territory.

Flanked by a legion of his finest Imperial stormtroopers, Darth Vader himself joined Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment President Mike Dunn at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) to announce the release, vowing "The forces of the Empire will be at your disposal to assure the success of this endeavor."

"The Star Wars Saga is the most anticipated Blu-ray collection since the launch of the high-def format," Dunn said. "The epic franchise pioneered sound and visual presentation in theaters and is perfectly suited to do it again in the home, with a viewing experience only possible with Blu-ray."

"With all six episodes available for the first time in one collection, this is a great way for families and home audiences to experience the complete Saga from start to finish," said Doug Yates, Vice President of Marketing, Online, Distribution, Lucasfilm Ltd. "And with the quality of high-definition, Blu-ray provides the most immersive home experience possible."

"The Star Wars franchise has been the most anticipated Blu-ray release by Amazon's customers," said Bill Carr, Vice President of Music and Video at Amazon.com. "We think that Star Wars will be incredibly popular with our customers, and we expect pre-orders to be very strong."

Pre-order Star Wars: The Complete Saga on Blu-ray and the Star Wars: Trilogy Sets at Amazon.com today!"

And here's the trailer:
http://www.starwars.com/video/view/001175.html

And here are the pre-order links:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... eimprovemz

Happy day people, happy day! :D
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

I have a question, the latest DVD releases that pair the original films and the new ones together in two sets, are the discs in those sets the exact same as each film individually on DVD, or is there a difference?
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

Yes they are exactly the same.
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

I am torn on wether or not to get the sets. I just hope they release the unaltered versions of all the films.
FigmentJedi
Gold Classic Collection

Post by FigmentJedi »

Looking forward to hearing what's all on the Complete Set for extras.
DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

PixarFan2006 wrote:I am torn on wether or not to get the sets. I just hope they release the unaltered versions of all the films.
I hope those are included, but I kind of doubt they will be.

I'm interested in seeing whats on the bonus discs in the Complete Saga set. If it wasn't for those I'd probably only get the Original Trilogy on Blu-ray. The Prequels just haven't held up that well for me the past few years.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

Mickeyfan1990 wrote:Yes they are exactly the same.
Thanks.

DarthPrime wrote:
PixarFan2006 wrote:I am torn on wether or not to get the sets. I just hope they release the unaltered versions of all the films.
I hope those are included, but I kind of doubt they will be.
I agree, I doubt this is the last Blu Ray release for these films. I bet in a few years, they get re-released with the unaltered versions.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

Official Release Date!: 09/16/11!:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=6117
DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

Mickeyfan1990 wrote:Official Release Date!: 09/16/11!:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=6117
Nice. I'm very curious whats on the bonus discs, and what changes have been made (I know Lucas has done something).

Also I'm very tempted to just get the Original Trilogy since I rarely if ever watch the Prequels, but I'm tempted by those bonus discs...
REINIER
Anniversary Edition

Post by REINIER »

Won't most of us wait for the 3d-bluray's instead :?
When it comes to brains, I got the lion-share,
but when it comes to bruth strength, I'm afraid I'm at the shallow end of the gene pool
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

DarthPrime wrote:Also I'm very tempted to just get the Original Trilogy since I rarely if ever watch the Prequels, but I'm tempted by those bonus discs...
Ditto. The last time I even watched any of the prequels was probably '08 or so, and I generally can do without them.
REINIER wrote:Won't most of us wait for the 3d-bluray's instead :?
I have no interest in 3-D anything, so I'm content with just the regular ole Blu-Rays.

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?