Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

The problem with Katzenberg's films is that after Beauty and the Beast became nominated for 'Best Picture' he became obsessed with making a - for want of a better word - "worthy" animated film, one which could, just possibly win best picture.

Look at the Disney films after BatB (allowing for long developement times) - Pocahontas, Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan or his films with Dreamworks - Prince of Egypt and Spirit.

Now, I don't want to critisise all these films - some are mighty fine films (Hunchback! - Hunchback!) and not all of them turned out as originally intended (Hercules and Mulan) but the reasons for selecting and making these films in the first place originate from the fact that Katzenberg was after "Best Picture".

Originally Pocahontas was to have more humour - she was to be given a comedy sidekick Turkey for example who was to spend the film avoiding being caught and eated by the British. However Katzenberg hated the idea and the character was cut. I don't know if this was the right or wrong decision - much as I find to enjoy in Pocahontas - such as it's art and music, I do feel the film lacks the humour needed to increase it's appeal. Pocahontas probably suffered most from Katzenberg's desire for a "worthy" animated film, as it was the first since Beauty and the Beast's nomination where he could influence the film from almost the beginning of its production.

Hunchback originally was going to end with the death of Esmeralda and the Gargoyles were strictly going to be shown as being figments of Quasimodo's imagination (as indeed they are in a few passages of the original novel). However Disney got cold feet and the concept was changed. It's a decision I regret, Hunchback is such a wonderful film as it is due to it being the most "adult" of all Disney animated movies (check out the "Hellfire" sequence) I can only imagine how great it would have been had Disney decided to go the whole distance when creating the film.

Hercules was to be more straight forward adventure, but after doubts were raised regarding the suitability of Hunchback for a family audience, Hercules was deemed to violent and reworked to add more humour and less conflict. Katzenberg's vision of Mulan originally was a straight retelling of the story with no dragon, just the cricket. (Incidently I'm amazed the content of Mulan wasn't cut down when Hercules' was - after all Mulan virtually commits genocide in one scene in the film!)

Of course it's hard to say how any of the films I've discussed above would turn out without Katzenberg. Most of them evolved from his original vision anyway during development, so who can say if his influence was positive or negative (I suspect it was both). Regardless each of the films range from fantastic to average (sorry, Pocahontas fans, but that's only my opinion).

I have to say that overall I think Katzenberg was an asset to Disney animation, but he does seem to have lost his touch at Dreamworks. It just goes to show that Disney animation is the best in the business and a group effort. A strong guiding hand is nothing, unless everyone on the team constantly does the best work.
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
jabroni76
Special Edition

gooooooooo Sinbad and Dreamworks....

Post by jabroni76 »

The following is a quote from the animated-movies.com website...

<< - SINBAD: LEGEND OF THE SEVEN SEAS had a very disappointing opening at
the
U.S. box office with a meager $10 million five-day gross. >>

also

<< - DreamWorks chief Jeffrey Katzenberg said that FINDING NEMO is "a
brilliant, brilliant film. John Lasseter and his people are talented
guys.
They've turned out five remarkable movies in a row. They're the best in
the
world. Their work is inspiring." >>

just thought, since all of us love dreamworks, we would like to know...

Has anyone seen it... And if so, what did you think of it?
indianajdp
Anniversary Edition

Post by indianajdp »

I haven't seen it yet...not sure if I will or not.

As for Katzenberg's comment, could he be greasing his hands for a run at Pixar Studios if Disney fails to close the deal later this year? I have read nothing about this situation so I don't know if this is even a possibility or has indeed been discussed here before.
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

Jake saw it and said that he liked it. The only thing that he said negative about it was that the cg and traditional animation didn't blend together very well, otherwise it was a good adventure movie.
poco
Special Edition

Post by poco »

I went to the movie house yesterday to watch Legally Blond 2 and there were these kids with cameras taking pictures of Sinbad and all the posters of it....I asked how the movie was and they said "it was great.. we want to see it again" I should have asked how it compared to Finding Nemo.

I also noticed a new movie poster. looks like there are doing SHREK 2

OH MY

due out June or July 2004
"I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living." -- Dr. Seuss
jabroni76
Special Edition

Post by jabroni76 »

^^^

Oh, you just found that out, my dear poco? :P... there's a lot of news on it... I'm sure you've been bound to have heard of it...
poco
Special Edition

Post by poco »

I;m a little slow on the upkeep. :brick:

:lol: :D 8)
"I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living." -- Dr. Seuss
Prince Phillip
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Phillip »

Well come November we can all rent it and see how good it is for ourselves :P . I was tempted to see this but I would rather see The League of Extrodinary Gentlemen :D
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

I had no desire to see Sinbad, but then I found out Catherine Zeta-Jones is in it....I love her! Maybe I will see it when it goes to the $1.50 theater...50 cents on Tuesdays for College Students! LOL :P
MickeyMouseboy
Platinum Edition

Post by MickeyMouseboy »

Trevor wrote:I had no desire to see Sinbad, but then I found out Catherine Zeta-Jones is in it....I love her! Maybe I will see it when it goes to the $1.50 theater...50 cents on Tuesdays for College Students! LOL :P
i hear you!!! i just think katzenberg is kissing up!
MickeyMouseboy
Platinum Edition

Sinbad Official biggest flops in the movie biz naz! lol

Post by MickeyMouseboy »

Sinbad's DVD Release Date Announced!

DreamWorks wasted no time in moving on after the very disappointing opening of its latest film in U.S. theaters. Coming Soon! reports that Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas will hit DVD shelves on November 18, 2003.

ahhhhh hahahahaha i feel so happy! I bet Katzenberg is eating his words right now! excuse me! what did you say about treasure planet? that is was galaxy away from treasure planet? ahahaha well you got that right MR! that's why your stupid movie didnt make nothing!! ahahahahha im so happy! ::does the happy dance:: :lol:
Last edited by MickeyMouseboy on Sun Jul 06, 2003 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prince Phillip
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Phillip »

MMB, I'm getting the feeling that you don't care much for Mr. Ratzenburg, or all of DreamWorks for that matter. :lol:
MickeyMouseboy
Platinum Edition

Post by MickeyMouseboy »

Prince Phillip wrote:MMB, I'm getting the feeling that you don't care much for Mr. Ratzenburg, or all of DreamWorks for that matter. :lol:
you got that right! his pain is my pleasure! :lol: :lol: :twisted:
Prince Phillip
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Phillip »

MickeyMouseboy wrote:
Trevor wrote:I had no desire to see Sinbad, but then I found out Catherine Zeta-Jones is in it....I love her! Maybe I will see it when it goes to the $1.50 theater...50 cents on Tuesdays for College Students! LOL :P
i hear you!!! i just think katzenberg is kissing up!

:shock: I thought you didn't like Cat :wink:
Loomis
Signature Collection
Location: Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Post by Loomis »

Now I can understand why you would prefer to see a Disney film to a Dreamworks film - quite frankly their subject matter has been fairly dull.

However, the theatrical flopping of animation is not a good thing, and not something we should celebrate.

MMB, you are constantly going on about how much you hate DTV sequels. Your avatar (Stop Sequels - I'm not sure what that means? All sequels? Even good ones?) indicates you don't like the DTV animation.

However, if nobody goes and sees theatrical animation - and let's face it, Treasure Planet didn't really set the box office on fire either, and it was out on DVD pretty quickly - then all we are going to have is DTV animation.

Sure, I don't want to see Sinbad, but I see no reason to celebrate its failure. That in combination with other theatrical flops sends a clear message to naysayers and certain CEOs and heads of animation: 'traditional animation does return money at the box office - CGI and DTV all the way'.

That may not be a GOOD analysis, but it is one many money people will take.

Bad Sign 'O' the Times.... :(
Behind the Panels - Comic book news, reviews and podcast
The Reel Bits - All things film
Twitter - Follow me on Twitter
Prince Phillip
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Phillip »

You make good points Loomis, but I am just going to blow over everything you just said to comment on the Avatar. I think it just refers to the cheap disney sequels. :)
MickeyMouseboy
Platinum Edition

Post by MickeyMouseboy »

im just happy it flopped cause Katzenberg keeped going on about treasure planet and L&S been too good for his studio, that his studio was superior and wouldnt never make them. saying Disney is inferior to dreamworks rofl! he had something come to him! i just hate him that's why im happy his movie flopped and i would really enjoy seen sharkslayer and other future stuff flop too! he needs to stop his disney hating and maybe i will go spend money on his cheap animation!
Prince Phillip
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Phillip »

NEVER MMB! You must never give into him! Even if he gets down and kisses the feet of the Walt Disney statue :lol: . You can not let him win, it's what he wants... I hope stupid Shark Slayer and gag Shrek 2 fail, show them that their CGI is not superior to traditional, however I fear this will not be the case :evil: .
indianajdp
Anniversary Edition

Post by indianajdp »

Shrek 2 will do huge numbers, no doubt about it. I fully admit that I loved the first one but I'll most likely wait this one out for the DVD release (which will probably coincide with another Disney film premiere).

As for Sharkslayer, I think it will do well initially. But if the storyline is as dull as it sounds then it will lose steam quickly, IMO.
MickeyMouseboy
Platinum Edition

Post by MickeyMouseboy »

i mean 50 cent nights 8) :lol: