Haunted Mansion (2023)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Margos
Anniversary Edition

Post by Margos »

UmbrellaFish wrote:
Super Aurora wrote:I'm more amaze that PrincePhillipfan isn't on this thread by now.
I know! That's who I immediately thought of when I saw the thread's title. He must be taking a break from UD.
When he comes back, I think he'll be like: :o :D
http://dragonsbane.webs.com
http://childrenofnight.webs.com

^My websites promoting my two WIP novels! Check them out for exclusive content!
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Del Toro's Haunted Mansion!

Post by Disney Duster »

Milojthatch, I think your opinion is a good one, but here's some info that may make you feel better.

First, Del Toro isn't so bad. Some of his stuff is too scary but also because it is aimed at adults. But when it is aimed at families, naturally, he will make it more suitable for them.

But better than that, Del Toro is actually a huge Disney fan! He loved the Haunted Mansion as a little kid! And he even mentioned how Disney films actually do have really scary things.

You said if you were a fan of scary stuff you wouldn't be a Disney fan, that's not true. Lazario is a huge horror and Disney fan, and I like scary stuff, and so does PrincePhillipFan who loves the Haunted Mansion so much.

And didn't Atlantis, where you got your name from, have some rather scary things? Though actually Walt made much scarier things. Things in Snow White, Fantasia, Bambi, Sleeping Beauty...

Del Toro said that the movie would be fun, I think he even said funny, but the scary will be scary instead of just eh...because the ride is actually scary at times.

And I still think it's horrible to removed Walt's name from the logos but maybe this was a better choice I don't know.

But here is an article that I think would make you feel better about this:

Why Del Toro is Right for Haunted Mansion

And don't forget to actually read the original announcement about Del Toro's involvement.
PrincePhillipFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by PrincePhillipFan »

Margos wrote:
UmbrellaFish wrote: I know! That's who I immediately thought of when I saw the thread's title. He must be taking a break from UD.
When he comes back, I think he'll be like: :o :D
:lol: It's nice to know that I've become with synonmous around here with both Greek mythology and the HM around here. :p Just got back from a nice long week at the shore so you can imagine my surprise when I heard of this.

I'm just incredibly floored by this news. I absolutely can't wait to see what Del Torro has in store for the Mansion! :D To me he is the perfect director for the role. Having read many of this interviews, this seems just as much of a dream to him as it would to any Doombug who is given the chance to produce a big budget HM picture. As Duster already stated, he has long proven to be a huge HM fan (he even stated in an interview he has a room full of HM memrobilia, including some original Marc Davis sketches!), and I can't think of anyone else better suited to make a HM movie.

"Only producing and co-writing with Matthew Robbins for now. I would love to direct it if the timing allows it but I already have the next directing project ready to be announced in a week or so. Big and unexpected and full of invention. Haunted Mansion is, however, so perfect--because into it I can finally pour decades--most of my life--of admiration and veneration for Rolly Crump, Marc Davis and Claude Coats and the incredibly stylized and impossibly cool world they created. The movie I am imagining and that I dream of bringing forth is a full-on shrine to the feel we had as kids going into these E-ticket rides. For some people Haunted Mansion is just a ride for others, like me, who got caught in it at the precise age, it is almost a way of life."

This quote to me alone absolutely makes me giddy. Not just knowing how much of a big fan he is of the attraction, but how much high esteem he holds for the original Mansion creators and their work.

As for the original Mansion movie, I don't really dislike it, but to me it's just a very mediocore film that really does very poor justice to the attraction and the genius of Davis, Coats, and Crump. As Del Torro said, it's time Disney went back to their dark past such as Chernabog or Maleficent and create scenes that are very chilling. To me the original film just lacked any suspsense or eerieness of the attraction (aside from the very missplaced zombies), and turned it into a silly romp with poor writing. What makes the ride so enduring is that is has many Claude Coats dark and even frightening elements in it (lost souls trapped behind locked doors, an undead man trying to escape a nailed up coffin, the pop up ghosts), the darkly humorous Marc Davis characters, and the pure macabre bizarre oddities of Rolly Crump, such as the human body parts of the architecture. Knowing Del Torro and the work that he's done, combined with his love for the Mansion, I can't think of a more perfect person for this film.
-Tim
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Well it's about time you showed up, Howard.

And you were at the shore all week? Which one?

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
kbehm29
Anniversary Edition

Post by kbehm29 »

Video Interview with Guillermo del Toro:

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/co ... p?id=15995
Disneyland Trips: 1983, 1992, 1995, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2016, Aug 2018
Walt Disney World Trips: 1999, 2007, 2011, 2014, 2016, ~Dec 2018~, ~Apr 2019~
Favorite Disney Movies: Peter Pan, 101 Dalmatians, Tangled, The Princess and the Frog, Enchanted, FROZEN
DiscoDan
Limited Issue

Post by DiscoDan »

Great interview, he's definitely the perfect guy to make this movie. I'm super excited!
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

What I would like to know is, (and sorry if it has already been answered!) would this be following the story of Phantom Manor, or Haunted Mansion ? Or the revamp of the ride, with the new Bride, Constance ? I think the Constance storyline would be awesome, myself.

Here is a link to the story of Constance and her many husbands ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpjQg8tu ... re=related

I could totally see this being an awesome movie !
Jack Skellington
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jack Skellington »

I'm really excited already, and I knew Timbo would love the idea as well ! ;)
ColorsOfTheWind
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ColorsOfTheWind »

Disney Duster wrote:You said if you were a fan of scary stuff you wouldn't be a Disney fan, that's not true. Lazario is a huge horror and Disney fan, and I like scary stuff, and so does PrincePhillipFan who loves the Haunted Mansion so much.
I can attest to this as well. I adore horror movies and yet I'm an enormous Disney fan too :)
atlanticaunderthesea wrote:What I would like to know is, (and sorry if it has already been answered!) would this be following the story of Phantom Manor, or Haunted Mansion ? Or the revamp of the ride, with the new Bride, Constance ? I think the Constance storyline would be awesome, myself.

Here is a link to the story of Constance and her many husbands ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpjQg8tu ... re=related

I could totally see this being an awesome movie !
I love the Constance aspect of the ride myself, so I would love to see it in the movie. I'm so excited to see what Del Toro will do with this movie. I remember I thought the original was alright when I saw it in theaters, but I knew that it could have been much better.

By the way Altantica, did you ever go to the character audition? :P
Phil Johnson

Post by Phil Johnson »

I too am stoked to see Del Toro on the case for this one. Pan's Labyrinth scared the heck out of my girlfriend and I thought it was fantastic.

I can only hope that Eddie Murphy just stops doing camp films and goes back to doing stand-up (as he's been hinting at lately).
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

http://miceage.micechat.com/mc/mc072810a.htm
Q. A lot of readers asked basically the same question after the Haunted Mansion movie "reboot" was announced at Comic-Con this past week: "Are they going to add or change anything in the Haunted Mansion ride just like they did with Pirates?"

A. The buzz seems to indicate that we should expect changes to the ride(s) to tie in with the movie. With Guillermo del Toro in charge it shouldn't be too bad... especially considering it could've been much worse. Apparently there was a lot more to the rumors about a High School Musical movie set in a haunted house than people realize.

Guillermo Comes Out To Socialize...
http://blueskydisney.blogspot.com/2010/ ... alize.html
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

To be honest, I don't know if adding new things/changing stuff to the HM rides to tie in with the new movie will be necessary. Simply because the ones in WDW and DL have already gone through a refurbishment recently.
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

The Hatbox Ghost's return has long been planned/rumored. Bringing him back now to create awareness of the the character beyond HM fans before the movie is released would make sense.
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

Flanger-Hanger wrote:The Hatbox Ghost's return has long been planned/rumored. Bringing him back now to create awareness of the the character beyond HM fans before the movie is released would make sense.
This
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Flanger-Hanger wrote:The Hatbox Ghost's return has long been planned/rumored. Bringing him back now to create awareness of the the character beyond HM fans before the movie is released would make sense.
Well, just as long as they don't make any drastic changes to the ride, like say having it all centered around the Hat Box Ghost- even though he's the villain of the movie-, then I'll be happy.
DiscoDan
Limited Issue

Post by DiscoDan »

Looks like this is going to be put on hold, James Cameron is helping fund Del Toro's dream movie adaptation of H.P. Lovecraft's At the Mountain of Madness.

I'm super excited about both projects, and I'd die happy if Guillermo finds time to direct both!

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/avatar/ ... llaborate/
DisneyDude2010
Special Edition

Post by DisneyDude2010 »

Wow Very Exciting !!
According to Wikipedia it will be a Disney Dares You Project - ... Scary :lol:
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

DisneyDude2010 wrote: According to Wikipedia it will be a Disney Dares You Project - ... Scary :lol:
According to Del Toro, DDDY is no more...
KubrickFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by KubrickFan »

DiscoDan wrote:Looks like this is going to be put on hold, James Cameron is helping fund Del Toro's dream movie adaptation of H.P. Lovecraft's At the Mountain of Madness.

I'm super excited about both projects, and I'd die happy if Guillermo finds time to direct both!

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/avatar/ ... llaborate/
Del Toro will only produce the Haunted Mansion movie, so it probably won't be put on hold.
Kraken Guard
Special Edition

Post by Kraken Guard »

So THATS Why he decided not to direct The Hobbit!

The other movie with Eddie Murphy was good, but it wasn't great. Would be interesting to see how this one turns out!