Haunted Mansion (2023)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
kbehm29
Anniversary Edition

Haunted Mansion (2023)

Post by kbehm29 »

SDCC: Guillermo del Toro Takes on the Haunted Mansion! Source: ComingSoon.net July 22, 2010

Guillermo del Toro made a surprise announcement at Disney's panel for Tron Legacy that he will next co-write and produce a 3D Haunted Mansion reboot. He may direct as well. A teaser was shown and he appeared on stage.

"We are not returning Eddie Murphy's calls... and we are not making it a comedy," del Toro said. "We are making it scary and fun, but the scary will be scary."

The story will be built around the Hatbox Ghost and del Toro hopes that he'll be reintroduced to the ride as well.

http://www.comingsoon.net
Disneyland Trips: 1983, 1992, 1995, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2016, Aug 2018
Walt Disney World Trips: 1999, 2007, 2011, 2014, 2016, ~Dec 2018~, ~Apr 2019~
Favorite Disney Movies: Peter Pan, 101 Dalmatians, Tangled, The Princess and the Frog, Enchanted, FROZEN
kbehm29
Anniversary Edition

Post by kbehm29 »

First Thought: :shock:

Second thought: It's too soon.

Third thought: It could be awesome if they do it right. I like the previous version of Haunted Mansion, because I never thought the ride was meant to be too scary. But the movie was too silly and not scary enough - it didn't have the correct balance between the two.

Fourth thought: I hope they don't change the ride too much if this happens. It shouldn't be something that's ONLY scary, it should still be silly and fun as well. I hope they put a lot of thought into this.
Disneyland Trips: 1983, 1992, 1995, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2016, Aug 2018
Favorite Disney Movies: Peter Pan, 101 Dalmatians, Tangled, The Princess and the Frog, Enchanted, FROZEN
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

I was hoping for Tim Burton but Del Toro might be a better choice.

Now bury that Eddie Murhpy abortion next to Cinderella II
kbehm29
Anniversary Edition

Post by kbehm29 »

PatrickvD wrote:I was hoping for Tim Burton but Del Toro might be a better choice.
So....was this previously rumored somehow and I just completely missed it? This came as a complete shock to me out of nowhere.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

kbehm29 wrote:
PatrickvD wrote:I was hoping for Tim Burton but Del Toro might be a better choice.
So....was this previously rumored somehow and I just completely missed it? This came as a complete shock to me out of nowhere.
no it was not rumored. not as far as I know.

I know a lot of people wanted to erase the original film from their minds so there's been a lot of discussion on a reboot.
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

yes, Yes, YES :D

I always felt the original was wasted potential. It had amazing costumes, sets, and stayed pretty accurate to the attraction from which it was based. Unfortunately, the story and tone of the movie was WAY OFF (to put it lightly). I still feel the poster artwork (HERE and HERE) was amazing and made me think it was going in an entirely different (darker, more serious) direction then it ended up going.

Now I trust Del Toro. Pan's Labyrinth is an amazing piece of film. Hopefully he will keep this film grounded more spiritually than mythically. I really hope this turns out to be the next Curse of the Black Pearl (not meaning the blockbuster action/adventure aspect but as far as overall quality and memorable story/characters). If it's successful and they decide to incorporate unwanted crap from the movie into the attraction like they did with Pirates of the Caribbean, I'll end up wishing the movie was never made.
Last edited by jpanimation on Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

kbehm29 wrote: Second thought: It's too soon.
Too soon? By the time this movie comes, eight or nine years will have passed since the release of the Eddie Murphy film. I mean, that's a more reasonable time than what's happening with Spider-Man, and also, the first Haunted Mansion didn't leave half the mark that the original Spider-Man trilogy did.

Very excited to see this! Especially with del Toro!
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

OMFG!!!!! This is freaking awesome news!!!!! I've loved Del Toro's past work, and The Haunted Mansion is easily one of my favorite attractions at the parks. I didn't hate the Eddy Murphy film, but I wasn't pleased about it either. Ever since that film came out I've been hoping Disney would attempt the idea again.

I cannot even begin to say how much this made my day! :D :D :D
Duckburger
Special Edition

Post by Duckburger »

Finally somebody gets it over at this company. You don't have to act like your target demographic is a bunch of two year-olds. A few scares isn't going to mess up your kids. Frickin' AFA.

Also, is this going to be part of that Disney Double Dare You label they announced last year? I couldn't make that out from the article.
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

If only the Eddie Murphy movie could be erased...from existence, then it'd be easier to be excited about this movie. I haven't been terribly impressed by anything of Del Toro's that I've seen, either, including his "great" one.
"Fifteen years from now, when people are talking about 3-D, they will talk about the business before 'Monsters vs. Aliens' and the business after 'Monsters vs. Aliens.' It's the line in the sand." - Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Duckburger wrote:Also, is this going to be part of that Disney Double Dare You label they announced last year? I couldn't make that out from the article.
I wouldn't think so, because I thought that label was supposed to be DTV. Or am I just going crazy?
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Duckburger wrote: Also, is this going to be part of that Disney Double Dare You label they announced last year? I couldn't make that out from the article.
That was my first thought...I'm just putting 2 and 2 together, but I'd assume so.

I've only seen the Eddie Murphy film once, and it was just alright...I didn't dislike it, but I don't remember much about it. I think that it's interesting that they're making a Haunted Mansion movie so soon after the first one, too...but, the 2nd Freaky Friday movie was in 1995, if I'm not mistaken, and then the Lindsay Lohan one was in 2003, so that was only 8 years apart (although one was a TV movie)...

I think that both Haunted Mansion movies will be able to be their own movie...like, the new one won't make the old one obsolete or anything...!
kbehm29
Anniversary Edition

Post by kbehm29 »

Luke wrote:If only the Eddie Murphy movie could be erased...from existence
Great BTTF quote, Luke! :)

I didn't mind the Eddie Murphy movie that much. I didn't DISlike it, I enjoyed it for the comedy that it was.

I am looking forward to a new version, though.
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

kbehm29 wrote:
Luke wrote:If only the Eddie Murphy movie could be erased...from existence
Great BTTF quote, Luke! :)

I didn't mind the Eddie Murphy movie that much. I didn't DISlike it, I enjoyed it for the comedy that it was.

I am looking forward to a new version, though.
Thanks. Yeah, it wasn't awful. But it is awfully recent and that's just weird. (Though less so than Sony's premature <i>Spider-Man</i> reboot.)
"Fifteen years from now, when people are talking about 3-D, they will talk about the business before 'Monsters vs. Aliens' and the business after 'Monsters vs. Aliens.' It's the line in the sand." - Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

I hope they do the following things with the movie:

- Don't call it "The Haunted Mansion"
- Don't use Madame Leota or "Master Gracey" as characters
- Base the exterior of the house on the WDW/TDL version (DL's been done)
- Don't try and make everything in the ride appear and relate to each other

and most importantly...

- Don't make it suck
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Interesting. I love the attraction, but I haven't seen the Eddie Murphy film. I look forward to what Del Toro does with this.
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

I'm also one of the people who didn't hate the Eddie Murphy film, but did think it was pretty mediocre (outside of some gorgeous production and costume design). I really enjoy Del Toro's work and think this project could suit him very well. He likes to lean towards the bizarre angle of things, and the film needs someone not afraid to examine weirdness or darkness (something the generic Murphy version was guilty of). I do hope he shows some slightly restraint, though. I don't want this to be a bland comedy like the old one, but a full-blown horror one doesn't really feel right, either. It needs to strike a balance between the two, something Tim Burton's always been good at. There needs to be a sort of wink-wink, nudge-nudge feeling if they want to keep it in the spirit of the attraction. Scare the audience, but make them laugh about it afterwards.
slave2moonlight
Diamond Edition

Post by slave2moonlight »

Though it wasn't great as a movie (not the best story or story devices going on in it), I actually really enjoy the first one, if mostly because of all the references to the ride, and I appreciate how the story tried to be like the ride experience, taking a family through the mansion to see the various things one sees on the ride... It was a very interesting idea, though more what I'd think a Made for IMAX 3D movie would be like as far as story quality (I've never seen a made for IMAX 3D movie though).

Anyway, I'm very psyched for this next one. I don't think it would work to NOT have Haunted Mansion in the title though, as was suggested before. Maybe this should be an anthology film: Tales from the Haunted Mansion, ha.
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

Wire Hanger wrote:I hope they do the following things with the movie:

- Don't call it "The Haunted Mansion"
- Don't use Madame Leota or "Master Gracey" as characters
- Base the exterior of the house on the WDW/TDL version (DL's been done)
- Don't try and make everything in the ride appear and relate to each other

and most importantly...

- Don't make it suck
Memo to Disney:

Hire Wire Hanger.

That is all.

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
SwordInTheStone777
Special Edition

Post by SwordInTheStone777 »

I would be up for going to see this, but THM it's self isn't a scary attraction, its a very fun ride and very comedic. Rebooting THM should stick to being funny, and even a bit campy too. I agree with Wire Hanger, this version should have WDW Haunted Mansion, as it screams haunted, were as DL is more Tara from Gone With The Wind. Also I think WDW Mansion should be in the movie, because it also looks like the Addams Family house too.