Criterion Collection Sale

Discussion of non-Disney DVD and Blu-ray.
Darby
Gold Classic Collection

Criterion Collection Sale

Post by Darby »

All Criterion Collection DVDs and Blu-rays are 50% now through August 1st at Barnes and Noble.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com

Darby
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

I love their annual 50% off sale! I'll be picking up the new two-disc version of The Red Shoes (1948 ). I need to special-order Indiscretion of an American Wife / Terminal Station (1953), since none of my B&N's have it in stock.

If there's any money left in my wallet, I want to get "Two Films by Yasujiro Ozu" which contain's 1936's The Only Son and 1942's There Was A Father.

Too bad Malick's The Thin Red Line doesn't come out until September. :( Guess that will have to wait until next year. Maybe by then Criterion will also release Badlands.

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

I don't have any money...

Maybe next year.
4 Disney Atmosphere Images
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Yeah, I don't have any extra money to spend, either. And I really want Sullivan's Travels and Jean Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast. I wasn't aware this was an annual sale, though. I guess I too will just wait until next year.
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

UmbrellaFish wrote:Jean Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast.
If you want just the movie and don't need the extras (though they are very very very very good*), you can get the Essential Art House version for only $10 this month. It's Criterion's movie-only editions that they started a couple years ago (and unfortunately, a few got their debut in EAH, like Mayerling), for people who just want the movies.

albert

*Two commentaries, the Philip Glass opera, a 1995 documentary, two TV interviews, two trailers, a restoration demonstration, and a still gallery.
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Escapay wrote:
UmbrellaFish wrote:Jean Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast.
If you want just the movie and don't need the extras (though they are very very very very good*), you can get the Essential Art House version for only $10 this month. It's Criterion's movie-only editions that they started a couple years ago (and unfortunately, a few got their debut in EAH, like Mayerling), for people who just want the movies.

albert

*Two commentaries, the Philip Glass opera, a 1995 documentary, two TV interviews, two trailers, a restoration demonstration, and a still gallery.
Yeah, I knew about the Essential Art House version, too. I was going to buy it off Amazon when they had that version for about 14 dollars or so, but seeing as I can just wait a year and get the two-disc version for a couple dollars extra from B&N, I think I'll wait.
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

It's actually only one disc, but still quite packed. :)

albert
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
Darby
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Darby »

The sale actually runs through August 2nd.

Darby
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Well, the sale will be over in 20 minutes, and I made a special order for a few movies since I couldn't make it to a B&N today (they weren't in stock anyway):

Heaven Can Wait (1943)
A Canterbury Tale (1944)
I Know Where I'm Going! (1945)
Indiscretion of an American Wife / Terminal Station (1953)

Two Powell & Pressburger movies, a Don Ameche/Gene Tierney movie, and a Jennifer Jones/Montgomery Clift movie. I wanted to order Night and the City, but B&N didn't have it available for ordering. :( I hope it doesn't mean it's going out of print.

albert
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Barnes & Noble is having their 50% off Criterion sale again, both online and in stores.

:)

albert
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
Darby
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Darby »

Escapay wrote:Barnes & Noble is having their 50% off Criterion sale again, both online and in stores.

albert
Thanks for the update, albert!

Darby
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

You're welcome, Darby!

Incidentally, I got an e-mail from Criterion Collection too that advertised the sale. They also pointed out that it's only until November 21, not for the whole month of November.

albert
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
bringtytlaback

50% off criterions

Post by bringtytlaback »

Escapay wrote:Barnes & Noble is having their 50% off Criterion sale again, both online and in stores.

albert

First time poster. I have been following the disney discussion for a few months to find out about new releases of the animated classics, and I happened upon the general dvd discussion for the first time this week by a fluke.

WOW! I've been buying Criterions for three years and was never aware of this Barnes and Noble sale. All of my stuff has come from Amazon.

Just placed this order on Sunday.
The Battle of Algiers (1966)
The Fire Within (1963)
My Dinner With Andre (1981)
Paris, Texas (1984)
Pickpocket (1959)

I've been waiting for these to go on sale on Amazon forever.

How big of a selection do they have on the shelves in stores? They can't possibly have copies of every title, can they? Am I better off just ordering from the website, or can I rely on the store having the titles that I'm looking for?
The_Iceflash
Anniversary Edition

Re: 50% off criterions

Post by The_Iceflash »

bringtytlaback wrote:

albert

First time poster. I have been following the disney discussion for a few months to find out about new releases of the animated classics, and I happened upon the general dvd discussion for the first time this week by a fluke.

WOW! I've been buying Criterions for three years and was never aware of this Barnes and Noble sale. All of my stuff has come from Amazon.

Just placed this order on Sunday.
The Battle of Algiers (1966)
The Fire Within (1963)
My Dinner With Andre (1981)
Paris, Texas (1984)
Pickpocket (1959)

I've been waiting for these to go on sale on Amazon forever.

How big of a selection do they have on the shelves in stores? They can't possibly have copies of every title, can they? Am I better off just ordering from the website, or can I rely on the store having the titles that I'm looking for?
It depends on the title. You can check the store inventory online to see which they have in the store. You can always call them to confirm it before taking a trip to your local store. That way you can figure out which you need to order online and which you can get in the store.
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

bringtytlaback wrote:First time poster.
Welcome! And awesome username.

:thumb:
bringtytlaback wrote:How big of a selection do they have on the shelves in stores? They can't possibly have copies of every title, can they?
They usually have the most recent ones (usually anything from the past 50 or so spine numbers) and a lot of the popular titles (e.g. you'll always find Seven Samurai or 8 1/2 in stock).
bringtytlaback wrote:Am I better off just ordering from the website, or can I rely on the store having the titles that I'm looking for?
You can check if your local B&N has the title you're looking for. Go to the B&N website and look up any particular title, put your zip code in the "Pick Me Up" section, and click "Find In-Store". It'll then show the five closest B&N's in your area and if they have it in stock. Then you can reserve a copy for up to 3 days and go to the store to pick it up. And if they don't have it, then you can just order it online. The sale ends on Sunday, so if you want any particular titles, you'll have to either buy them this week or order them online by Sunday night to get the sale price.

albert
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
bringtytlaback

Post by bringtytlaback »

Thanks Iceflash and Escapay. It looks like I'm going to be ordering from the website since most of my list was out of stock at my Barnes and Noble.
Escapay wrote:
bringtytlaback wrote:First time poster.
Welcome! And awesome username.

:thumb:

Thanks. I had to think of something that would display my Disney preferences. I'm all about the first five, and Vlad Tytla getting booted out the door over that animators strike was one of the saddest things I can remember.
I mean, the guy did Grumpy, Chernabog, and Dumbo! HOW do you get rid of that guy! :o
bringtytlaback

Post by bringtytlaback »

Sorry to clutter up the thread, but in the previous post, what did I erase that includes all of the Escapay remarks in a quote box?
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

bringtytlaback wrote:Sorry to clutter up the thread, but in the previous post, what did I erase that includes all of the Escapay remarks in a quote box?
You forgot the second "(/quote)" tag at the end (I used parentheses instead of brackets so that the BBCode isn't actually used).

I've had no luck finding Modern Times on Blu-Ray when I went to two different B&N's on Wednesday, they all seemed to have sold out the day before. But according to B&N online, Deptford has copies again, so I did the In-Stock "Pick Me Up" option, hopefully tomorrow morning I'll get an e-mail saying they put a copy aside for me. This month, I picked up the following Criterions from B&N:

Make Way for Tomorrow (1937)
49th Parallel (1941)
Heaven Can Wait (1943)
The Small Back Room (1949) - OOP, I was so excited when I found it at Cherry Hill
Night and the City (1950)

And ironically, a few days before the Criterion sale started, I found the Blu-Rays for The Red Shoes (1948 ) and Black Narcissus (1947) used at my local Tunes, and picked those up for $22.99 each. It was $3 over what I would have paid at Barnes & Noble, but they're worth it anyway.

albert
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
The_Iceflash
Anniversary Edition

Post by The_Iceflash »

Escapay wrote:
bringtytlaback wrote:Sorry to clutter up the thread, but in the previous post, what did I erase that includes all of the Escapay remarks in a quote box?
You forgot the second "(/quote)" tag at the end (I used parentheses instead of brackets so that the BBCode isn't actually used).

I've had no luck finding Modern Times on Blu-Ray when I went to two different B&N's on Wednesday, they all seemed to have sold out the day before. But according to B&N online, Deptford has copies again, so I did the In-Stock "Pick Me Up" option, hopefully tomorrow morning I'll get an e-mail saying they put a copy aside for me. This month, I picked up the following Criterions from B&N:

Make Way for Tomorrow (1937)
49th Parallel (1941)
Heaven Can Wait (1943)
The Small Back Room (1949) - OOP, I was so excited when I found it at Cherry Hill
Night and the City (1950)

And ironically, a few days before the Criterion sale started, I found the Blu-Rays for The Red Shoes (1948 ) and Black Narcissus (1947) used at my local Tunes, and picked those up for $22.99 each. It was $3 over what I would have paid at Barnes & Noble, but they're worth it anyway.

albert
They have one pulled aside for me right now actually. I called it in yesterday. I'm picking it up today.
bringtytlaback

Post by bringtytlaback »

Escapay wrote: If there's any money left in my wallet, I want to get "Two Films by Yasujiro Ozu" which contain's 1936's The Only Son and 1942's There Was A Father.

albert
The Only Son is the most recent Ozu film that I have been introduced to (loved it; probably leapt into my top 3 behind Floating Weeds (1959) and Late Spring).

Have you seen I Was Born, But... ? Right now I'm debating whether or not to get that Silent Ozu Eclipse set, mostly for I Was Born, But..., which I haven't seen.

Is it on the same level as The Only Son, or perhaps better?