Planes (DisneyToon Studios)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Neal
Anniversary Edition

Post by Neal »

Disney sure is getting weird lately.

Enchanted 2 is likely in some stage of production.

Disney is planning a re-Make
of "The Yellow Submarine"

A new TV series is going to star some classic Disney characters on pirate adventures.

Well, back in June, this came from the TAG Blog:
I was able to get a look at some of the visual development for the next group of Toon Disney features (waay different than Tinkerbell) and my first reaction was: "That's going to make the Mouse a lot of money!"

Because it is a real commercial property.

(And no, I'm not going to say anything about what it is, since the company hasn't announced much about it yet.)
I thought (as seen in the pirates thread) it could be this:
Also slated for production in the next few months is the new series about pirates (mentioned here earlier) that has had a title change, and involves some well-loved Disney characters. (Since I don't spy any details for the project out on the internets, -- and let's stipulate that I may just have overlooked it -- I won't break detailed news about it here. I have problems enough without getting huffy corporate phone calls as it is.)
Turns out, they are two separate entities. New word today from the TAG Blog (via Steve Hulett in the comments section):

There's also a new c.g.i series of features at Diz Toons -- apart from the Tinkerbells -- in early development.

Stories being scripted, characters being developed. (New characters, but cousins of other creations in the Disney empire ...
So, we're going to have a new CGI TV show starring classic Disney characters somehow involved in pirate adventures.

AND

New CGI features starring the relatives of classic Disney characters in various adventures.

Both projects sound interesting, but, we'll have to see how this pans out.
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

So, this is basically a Disney version of "Tiny Toons"? Tiny Toons stars descendants of classic Looney Tunes characters, so this Disney Cousins projects sounds a lot like that.
ImageImageImageImage

UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

pap64 wrote:So, this is basically a Disney version of "Tiny Toons"? Tiny Toons stars descendants of classic Looney Tunes characters, so this Disney Cousins projects sounds a lot like that.
I didn't know that. But I never really dug into Tiny Toons, either.

I would certainly enjoy this "Cousin" project. Bring classic Disney characters back to the spotlight in a contemporary manner. Isn't that what we've been wanting?
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

They haven't brought back the idea of Power Princesses, have they? :shock:
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

What I got from "cousins" was new characters from exisiting worlds. Like, it could be set in the 100 Acre Wood, but Pooh, Tigger, Piglet, Eeyore, Rabbit, Gopher, Kanga, and Roo wouldn't be involved. Or it could be set in Wonderland, but not deal with the characters from the film. Of course I could be wrong, but that's what I thought when I read it.
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

It makes me think of something along the lines of Ducktales or Goof Troop. It'll have a classic character or two in it but mostly star new characters. At least that was the first thing that came to mind for me.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

This sounds like a brilliant idea! Maybe we should bring Eisner back as well. I think I want that Snow White sequel now...

Anyway, Pixar is developing a Cars DTV called Planes! Why you ask? Because it is the right and artistic thing to do. The universe has demanded it. We NEED it.

EXCLUSIVE: Pixar Developing Cars Spinoff Planes

http://www.movieline.com/2010/07/exclus ... planes.php
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

Coming soon...Trains!

Pixar will then re-name Cars as Automobiles...

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Well...it had to happen sooner or later I suppose....Pixar is now making DTV Spin offs/Sequels....after 10 films I guess the ideas dry up??
Last edited by disneyboy20022 on Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

I wonder if people will bash the almighty Pixar for money making spin off mania?

:)
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Oh Pixar, don't do this...
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

Sounds like a bad idea. I hope it does not ruin Pixar's reputation (or that it is just a joke).
robster16
Special Edition

Post by robster16 »

Is this a bad joke?
Duckburger
Special Edition

Post by Duckburger »

*checks calender*

Huh, no April Fools. Well then, I think I can guess who proposed this idea. The Disney executives wanted more merchandise to sell. What the executives want, the executives get.

Can't wait for Bicycles, though. Or better, just Pedestrians. Genius. I think I'll copyright the idea right now.
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

Now I'm thinking about the parody they did on The Simpsons of a CGI animated film called "Cards" (It was actually a DreamWorks film they spoofed).

I don't have a clip of it, but it just came to mind).
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

PixarFan2006 wrote:Now I'm thinking about the parody they did on The Simpsons of a CGI animated film called "Cards" (It was actually a DreamWorks film they spoofed).

I don't have a clip of it, but it just came to mind).
they had a joke on American Dad where Stan mentioned the new Pixar movie "Clothes"... he added that 'John Ratzenberger plays a tie' :lol:

we're really only two film away from that becoming a reality. Imagine the clothes they could sell. "wear your favorite characters from the film!"
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Hmm, interesting. I guess Lasseter needs to give the direct-to-video Disney department something to do besides Tinkerbell spin-offs.

Though, am I the only person who thought of that talking airplane that wears the cap? I think it's a children's show on PBS, but I'm blanking on the name.

EDIT: Found it.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

estefan wrote:Hmm, interesting. I guess Lasseter needs to give the direct-to-video Disney department something to do besides Tinkerbell spin-offs.

Though, am I the only person who thought of that talking airplane that wears the cap? I think it's a children's show on PBS, but I'm blanking on the name.

EDIT: Found it.
I thought about that show, too, but I couldn't remember the name either so I didn't mention it. :lol:
Neal
Anniversary Edition

Post by Neal »

First image that came to mind:

First thought: "oh please, no!"

For the "we're owned by Disney but we are not Disney" company, a DTV spin-off, three recent sequels (Cars 2, Toy Story 3, Monster's Inc. 2), a name change - "Bear and the Bow" to "Brave", and the cancellation of "Newt" - heck, they sure are acting like WDAS!
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Pixar's track record should earn them the benefit of the doubt, at the very least. Come on guys, how many times do they have to get people worried about something their doing, only to prove the doubters wrong before we finally catch on and realize they know what their doing? We go through this nearly every time something new is anounced. its a cycle.

Even after doing the impossible and making the third toy story entry 11 years after the second and having it be arguably the best of the 3 why are we still so dead set on expecting their next project to fail miserably?

For one thing, its a spin off, this means it wont dilute the brand like say, the lilo and stitch franchise. Even if it were to suck, at least its separate from the Cars movies. There's nothing inherently wrong with spin offs and sequels if the quality is there and their able to keep things fresh.

Second, this being done by their new Canadian studio. smaller projects like these will be very beneficial in building up their talent pool for greater things. they plan to eventually get their new studio in feature film shape. lucky for us they can use smaller stuff to work out any kinks they might have. its important to remember they are not taking resources away from their more promising projects, but growing as a studio (and now studios) to get more stuff out there.

We have no logical reason to be skeptic here until they fail at least once. even Cars, which I feel is clearly their worst efforts still manage to be worth watching. and I can only see it getting better in the sequel and even Planes.[/b]