The Black Cauldron special edition?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
IagoZazu
Gold Classic Collection

Post by IagoZazu »

Flanger-Hanger wrote:From the Main page today:

"June 11, 2010 - Disney has announced a release date for the oft-delayed new edition of one of their lowest regarded animated films. The Black Cauldron: 25th Anniversary Edition will arrive on DVD on September 14th at a $19.99 list price with long-overdue 16:9 enhancement.
Extras will include the new Witches' Challenge game, the Quest for Black Cauldron game, Donald Duck and his nephews in the classic short Trick or Treat, a still gallery, and a deleted scene."

Great news to hear it's now named a "25th Anniversary Edition" and that the still gallery will be carried over. Only thing that would likely be missing is the original theatrical trailer.
I'm glad that they have a release date now and that it will have the 25th Anniversary edition name. It sounds better than Ultimate Quest Edition. Actually, I wouldn't mind the trailer, but I really wished for a "making of" documentary.

As far as the cover art, it's still better than the Gold Collection edition, so it's good enough for me.
Say no to moldy, disgusting crackers!
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

IagoZazu wrote:

"June 11, 2010 - Disney has announced a release date for the oft-delayed new edition of one of their lowest regarded animated films. The Black Cauldron: 25th Anniversary Edition will arrive on DVD on September 14th at a $19.99 list price with long-overdue 16:9 enhancement.
Extras will include the new Witches' Challenge game, the Quest for Black Cauldron game, Donald Duck and his nephews in the classic short Trick or Treat, a still gallery, and a deleted scene."

Great news to hear it's now named a "25th Anniversary Edition" and that the still gallery will be carried over. Only thing that would likely be missing is the original theatrical trailer.
I'm glad that they have a release date now and that it will have the 25th Anniversary edition name. It sounds better than Ultimate Quest Edition. Actually, I wouldn't mind the trailer, but I really wished for a "making of" documentary.

As far as the cover art, it's still better than the Gold Collection edition, so it's good enough for me.
Well, that's not much. I'm still mad that they promised deleted scenes when they only managed to put in one. :x

Oh, well. I may get it for the better transfer, if they can manage to do THAT.
rj.disney
Gold Classic Collection

Post by rj.disney »

"June 11, 2010 - Disney has announced a release date for the oft-delayed new edition of one of their lowest regarded animated films.
Plural. For a while there it made me think that Hunchback and Herc also got their release dates. :D

I'll be picking this up since this is one of the few classics I don't own.
"Hey Disney, we still exist!"
-Herc and Quasi
gardener14
Special Edition

Post by gardener14 »

rj.disney wrote:

"June 11, 2010 - Disney has announced a release date for the oft-delayed new edition of one of their lowest regarded animated films.
Plural. For a while there it made me think that Hunchback and Herc also got their release dates. :D

The original quote states "...one of their lowest regarded animated films." There is nothing plural about "one."
Spottedfeather
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Spottedfeather »

Why not on blu-ray ? I'd love to have this in blu-ray.
Think about this. Once bread becomes toast, you can't make it back into bread.
rj.disney
Gold Classic Collection

Post by rj.disney »

gardener14 wrote:
rj.disney wrote: Plural. For a while there it made me think that Hunchback and Herc also got their release dates. :D

The original quote states "...one of their lowest regarded animated films." There is nothing plural about "one."
oops. how embarassing :lol: I just woke up when I checked the thread.

I hope we get an R3 of this. The original Gold Collection along with the 40s package films were never released in R3 as I recall. Importing would cost me more and I'm saving since I'll be importing the BATB DE the following month.
"Hey Disney, we still exist!"
-Herc and Quasi
The_Iceflash
Anniversary Edition

Post by The_Iceflash »

yamiiguy wrote:
The_Iceflash wrote:So, here's the question of the day Blu-ray owners, do we hold out for a future BD release or get the new 25th Anniversary DVD?
I've stopped buying DVDs. I'll hold out for the Blu-Ray.
BrandonH wrote:For those who don't own the movie at all yet, this new DVD is worth a pick-up.

I own the previous DVD release, and even though it's not 16 X 9 enhanced, it will serve me well enough for now. I gave it a 4/5 rating on my last viewing, and it's not one that I will watch over and over. I might cave in and get the new DVD if I see it for $5 somewhere.

Those who love the movie should get the new edition because a Blu-ray release is unlikely in the near future.
A contradiction here.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Personally, I still buy both DVD and BD.

The way I see it, if it's a newer release, I'll buy the available BD. If it's the case of Bedknobs and Broomsticks, Oliver and Company, and The Black Cauldron I'll buy the available DVD because since those are rather unappreciated titles, chances are they won't be out on Blu for awhile. On the other hand, I didn't buy Mary Poppins' new two disc because since it's one of Disney's cash cows, I expect a Blu-Ray in the not-so-distant future. It's all about decisions.

Using this system, I've only had to repurchase Sleeping Beauty and Enchanted, because I bought both of those on DVD before I ever had any inclination of going Blu.

Of course sometimes my system fails, for instance I bought the 1995 Victor/Victoria Broadway Production on DVD last summer, because I didn't think that they would release it on BD anytime soon. But it's coming out on BD in a couple of months. However, this isn't a Disney release and most of the time Disney is fairly steady with how they put out DVDs/BDs.

Back to The Black Cauldron- if you want to buy it, I say go ahead because the chances of a BD release anytime soon is slim.
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

Spottedfeather wrote:Why not on blu-ray ? I'd love to have this in blu-ray.
I propose BluRay-fans quit bitching about every film that doesn't come out on BluRay, seeing how they already get the best releases for classics like Snow White and Beauty and the Beast with a shitload of extra's that DVD-owners don't get. If anybody should complain, it's the DVD-people.
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

Goliath wrote:
I propose BluRay-fans quit bitching about every film that doesn't come out on BluRay, seeing how they already get the best releases for classics like Snow White and Beauty and the Beast with a shitload of extra's that DVD-owners don't get. If anybody should complain, it's the DVD-people.
Woah. Um, asking why not and stating that you'd love to see something doesn't exactly sound like a complaint.
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

enigmawing wrote:
Goliath wrote: I propose BluRay-fans quit bitching about every film that doesn't come out on BluRay, seeing how they already get the best releases for classics like Snow White and Beauty and the Beast with a shitload of extra's that DVD-owners don't get. If anybody should complain, it's the DVD-people.
Woah. Um, asking why not and stating that you'd love to see something doesn't exactly sound like a complaint.
Seriously... And even if it was a more complainy complaint... at this point in time, I think blu-ray has caught on well enough that films should no longer be being released only on DVD, and so I think it's completely legit to wish this was coming to blu. God knows I wish it was.
disneyguy
Gold Classic Collection

Post by disneyguy »

Goliath wrote:
I propose that the DVD people quit complaining about the BD releases..
This is a free country..Don't read the complains if you don't want to..

DG :roll:
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

disneyguy wrote:
Goliath wrote: I propose BluRay-fans quit bitching about every film that doesn't come out on BluRay, seeing how they already get the best releases for classics like Snow White and Beauty and the Beast with a shitload of extra's that DVD-owners don't get. If anybody should complain, it's the DVD-people.
I propose that the DVD people quit complaining about the BD releases..

But you're complaining about someone who is complaining thus mean you are no different from the dvd complainers. LOL

This is free country, we have right complain if we want anyhow.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
disneyguy
Gold Classic Collection

Post by disneyguy »

Super Aurora wrote:
disneyguy wrote: I propose that the DVD people quit complaining about the BD releases..

But you're complaining about someone who is complaining thus mean you are no different from the dvd complainers. LOL

that is true..now we just need a complaining threat to complain in..

This is free country, we have right complain if we want anyhow.
:lol :lol:
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

I still think this is because of the economy as well as the piss-poor marketing department. It affects big business. Disney is packing all the money into their most popular films: aka the Daimonds. They're not gonna take any risks even advertising their more obscure films.

That said, the (Disney) movies I've had to re-buy on Blu-ray since its advent are Enchanted, Cars, Ratatouille, Bridge to Terabithia, and National Treasure(though that was a rerelease) and At World's End. Ones that have yet to be rebought are MtR, Pixar Short Films, and Narnia.
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

disneyguy wrote:I propose that the DVD people quit complaining about the BD releases..
This is a free country..
Exactly. That's why I'm free to ask you to quit whining about BD every time a film doesn't come out on BD. You can play it on your BD-player; you have no reason to complain. The people who don't have BD and only get discs without any bonus features have reason to complain. The BD-owners who keep complaining are so spoiled.
disneyguy wrote:Don't read the complains if you don't want to..

Well, how can I know something is a complaint until I've read it? :roll:
disneyguy
Gold Classic Collection

Post by disneyguy »

Goliath wrote:
disneyguy wrote:I propose that the DVD people quit complaining about the BD releases..
This is a free country..
Exactly. That's why I'm free to ask you to quit whining about BD every time a film doesn't come out on BD. You can play it on your BD-player; you have no reason to complain. The people who don't have BD and only get discs without any bonus features have reason to complain. The BD-owners who keep complaining are so spoiled.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
you will never see a post where I complain about BD or SDs..I have both
and watch both..Guess I'm more flexible..
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
disneyguy wrote:Don't read the complains if you don't want to..

Well, how can I know something is a complaint until I've read it? :roll:
glad to see you can read :lol:
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

I think its in the best interest of everyone who Does want a Blu ray to buy the DVD Version this time around. It's very cheap compared to some of their other re-releases in the past (Oliver & Co. Alice in Wonderland, Robin Hood MWE. etc..) because in my mind. If it doesn't sell well enough on DVD they probably will be that much more less than enthusiastic to release it on Blu ray outside a possibly DMC exclusive. The Black Cauldron is a great film but also the black sheep of the family, It's not well known outside of Disney Aficiando's or people on this site. I mean....I would think they would offer up Alice In Wonderland (animated) on blu ray before they even touch TBC on Blu ray due to what will sell better. The way I see it and i could be wrong is that the the dvd is test subject to see if this film can sell well enough and if it doesn't, they probably won't get to the blu ray of this for a while. So IMO it's $13.99 on Amazon right now....order it if you can...I mean....it's not a bad deal for $13.99 at all. and I feel similair feelings about if the dvd doesnt sell well....the Blu ray won't be here for a while, such as The Great Moust Detective MIM edition (although TBC Special features are much more of a good deal at $13.99 than the Mystery in the mist edition of TGMD is)

And also the fact that this is being labeled as 25th anniversary edition not Munchies and Crunchies edition or some other lame title (Mystery In the Mist, Big Top, Friendship, etc, etc)
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
BrandonH
Special Edition

Post by BrandonH »

Iceflash, I'm not sure what contradiction you're referring to. Some posters may think that there is a Blu-ray of this movie coming, and they may even be right. I think it is unlikely based on the poor reputation of the movie and the lackluster treatment it has received from Disney in the past. Even if a Blu-ray is in the works, I can see it happening for mid-level classics like Mulan and Pocahontas much sooner than for The Black Cauldron.

The reasons the die-hard TBC fans should pick up the new DVD are two:

1. The 16 X 9 enhancement
2. High sales of the DVD may encourage Disney to make a Blu-ray in the future

The new bonus features are barely worth mentioning and could be viewed with a rental or YouTube.
"Mustard? Don't let's be silly!"
--Mad Hatter, Alice in Wonderland

My DVDs
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

Yes but I think there's a lot of people who are really, really sick of double dipping.

Disney wanted everyone to go out and get Bluray players. There are many who have. Now they release things on DVD and not on Bluray, great way to support/push the new format. There are other titles that I've double dipped on DVD but I'm not really interested in doing that anymore. I'd buy a title like Black Cauldron on Bluray in a heartbeat but I'm not really into getting this movie on DVD again. Especially since it sounds like its not even uncut.