Rio (Blue Sky Studios)

All topics relating to content owned by Disney that is not Disney-branded.
Hogi Bear
Special Edition
Location: New Zealand - Population: 60+ Million Sheep Origin: Unknown

Rio (Blue Sky Studios)

Post by Hogi Bear »

No signature needed - Kyoto Animation put out some beautiful animation
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Looks really impressive. I love the animation and the teaser made me laugh a lot. Looks like it could be Blue Sky's best film and with 2011's animated schedule being mainly sequels, this will be a nice breath of fresh air.
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

I never thought I'd say this but I'm actually looking forward to Megamind more the Rio. I personally can't stand George Lopez. I know this trailer really doesn't tell us shit about the actual story but I'm still underwhelmed. As always, Blue Sky provides excellent character animation and it's refreshing to see they don't rely on celebrity voices to sell the movie.
magicalwands
Collector's Edition

Post by magicalwands »

I think this film has to do with forcing the two birds, the last of their species, to fall in love. There's speculation that Pixar cancelled Newt because both stories are so much alike. :(
Hogi Bear
Special Edition

Post by Hogi Bear »

Okay, trailer number 2 is here and available via Apple Trailers:

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/fox/rio/

or using a User Agent for QuickTime.

Looks good though, I'm definitely going to see it next year.

In regards to Newt, I think it's stepping into the unknown for its discontinue. It could have been Rio, Story problems, disagreements with staff, may have been just postponed.... Though I don't think Rio would have really stopped Newt, unless they knew more about Rio's general story/script details (which means it could have been more developed in regards to being produced). Speculation anyway.

I think though if this has a good story it deserves to do well.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

I'm very much looking forward to this. It's probably up there with Winnie the Pooh and The Borrowers as one of the animated films I'm most looking forward to, next year. I really like the concept and I find Blue Sky to be a fairly under-appreciated studio (though I haven't gotten around to the Ice Age sequels yet).

I've also been wanting for another Jose Carioca feature to be made for years and though this isn't it, it's probably as close as we're going to get.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

But Jose Carioca is only a Disney character! He is a creation of Disney! How will some character who is not him at all by some other studio be nearly close enough?
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

I mean, in regards to this being a story about a bird having an adventure in Brazil.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Well I thought about that, it's just that Jose Carioca has his own...ness, lol. His own unique personality, voice, and he was made very well and endearing by Disney, and I thought that was the reason you like him in the first place. This movie won't have those things.
Hogi Bear
Special Edition

Post by Hogi Bear »

Just came back from seeing this and thought it was really good and is one of the best films I've seen this year. It is well worth seeing, Blue Sky did a superb job with this film.

I'm not really a fan of 3D, but it also is the best use of 3D I've seen. It's not in your face, but gives the movie depth.

I'd recommend anyone to see it, it has story and heart.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

^Your Avatar creeps me out :lol: :shifty:

On topic, I wanna see the movie, but I doubt I'll be able to for a while.
Hogi Bear
Special Edition

Post by Hogi Bear »

ajmrowland wrote:^Your Avatar creeps me out :lol: :shifty:
It's a Weta and has a semi-transparent layer with Kenai on it from Brother Bear (From the scene when Koda learns the truth about his Mother's death). I hope it's not too creepy. :)
AladdinFan
Special Edition

Post by AladdinFan »

Disneyphile
Special Edition

Post by Disneyphile »

Just saw this movie today. The plot is standard and predictable. Will the two leads fall in love? Will he overcome his fears to save her life? The suspense is killing me! But what makes the movie is the animation. There are birds of every color under the sun, and of course, in Rio they have to have Carnivale, so the people have even more garishly colored plumage than the birds. I saw it in 2D, but I can imagine what a lot of the flying scenes would look like in 3D. Some of the "stunt" casting was a bit distracting. Hey, that's George Lopez! That's Tracy Morgan! But it's still a reasonably entertaining movie. I'd give it a solid B grade.
TheValentineBros
Anniversary Edition

Post by TheValentineBros »

Just saw it.

'Twas amazing.
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

I was wayyy late in only getting to see this yesterday. :lol:

Sure the plot was predictable (aren't most DAC's just as much?), but everything was handled in such an entertaining way that it didn't matter; sometimes it's just best to sit back and enjoy the ride. The animation, scenery, and palette were just gorgeous. You can tell the animators did their homework on how they handled the birds just on the walking alone. The voice work was top-notch, even my husband (who is Hispanic) was impressed with the authenticity of the accents; many films like this wouldn't bother.

Some of it felt very 60's Disney, or maybe I've just visited the Enchanted Tiki Room one too many times. :p Disney essence, anyone? :lol: The music was great! I love how they even included Mas Que Nada, a song I grew up with:

<object width="425" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9U1v01SGtGE?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9U1v01SGtGE?ve ... n_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="349" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Anyway, not only did I thoroughly enjoy it much more than I expected to, it's by far more entertaining than a certain Pixar film I saw last week. :p I can't wait to pick up the Blu-ray next month. :D

Oh, and I painted something last night:

Yeah, I loved it that much. :)
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

enigmawing wrote:Some of it felt very 60's Disney, or maybe I've just visited the Enchanted Tiki Room one too many times. :p Disney essence, anyone? :lol:
No, not the Disney essence, just what you felt the movie was kinda sort like in your general opinion, right? :)

Your blue bird from the film is one of the most gorgeous things I've seen from you. I didn't know you could paint so lushly and beautifully as that.
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

Disney Duster wrote:No, not the Disney essence, just what you felt the movie was kinda sort like in your general opinion, right? :)

Your blue bird from the film is one of the most gorgeous things I've seen from you. I didn't know you could paint so lushly and beautifully as that.
I was joking about the Disney essence thing. ;) But my personal opinion still stands that parts of it felt very old-school Disney in some ways.

And thanks! :) I've been pushing myself to try new things lately.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Rio is coming to Blu-ray and DVD in August, 2011. I am already in line for this. Can't wait.

And "Rango" is this Friday, July 15!!!
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

Yep, can't wait to pick this up next month either. :) I wasn't sure about Rango but we hit the theaters anyway since Rey really wanted to see it. It was much better than I expected (it felt more like a live-action western than a typical animated film) and I'm anxious to pick up the Blu-ray for that too. :D