Ben Hur and Citizen Kane Heading To Blu-Ray Next Year!

Discussion of non-Disney DVD and Blu-ray.
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Ben Hur and Citizen Kane Heading To Blu-Ray Next Year!

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

2 great classics, Ben Hur and Citizen Kane are coming to Blu-Ray in 2011 from Warner!:

http://www.digitalbits.com/#mytwocents

"This is just a quick update with word from Warner Home Video that their DVD releases of Ben-Hur and Citizen Kane are about to go on moratorium, meaning they'll no longer be available in stores. Kane stops selling on 5/10, followed by Ben-Hur on 7/12. That's the bad news. The good news is that WHV has officially announced that both films will return in late 2011 to celebrate "a confluence of events: anniversaries, stunning remasterings, and spectacular new Blu-ray debuts." Both films are currently undergoing comprehensive restorations, and much new content is being created for their 2011 re-issues on both DVD and Blu-ray. Ben-Hur in particular is set to receive Ultimate Collector's Edition treatment. Make your plans accordingly."
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

YAY!! I love Ben-Hur, it's my favorite epic! Can't wait to buy the UCE, too!!

I haven't yet watched Citizen Kane, but I have plenty of time to check it out before I decide whether or not to buy the BD.
zackisthewalrus
Anniversary Edition

Post by zackisthewalrus »

"Ben-Hur" has already been announced on Blu-ray.com as coming out later this year on Blu-ray.
"No day but today."
My YouTube Channel
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

zackisthewalrus wrote:"Ben-Hur" has already been announced on Blu-ray.com as coming out later this year on Blu-ray.
I knew about that, but so little information has come out since BD.com first announced it, I was getting worried... So to hear confirmation again that it's coming soon is great!
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

Well, Ben-Hur was due fall of this year and has now been pushed to next year, so I think it's worth creating a thread about that (was there even one for the old release date to begin with?).

It's one of my all-time favorite movies, so I'll definitely be snagging it. I hope the post-ponement means they're giving it an amazing restoration. Apparently the 2005 set has some problems (none of which I even noticed) that don't make it quite fit for Blu-ray despite being an HD restoration. I also hope they find more supplements to dig out of the vaults.

As for Citizen Kane, it's a film I respect more than I like, but I'll be getting it for my collection (it's my goal to own every film that's either been a Best Picture winner or a part of AFI's top 100 lists, the latter of which applies here). That one's definitely getting a new restoration since the DVD was one of the first ones Lowry did, and it shows (the biggest thing being disappearing rain).
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

Disneykid wrote:I also hope they find more supplements to dig out of the vaults.
Ditto. One thing that annoys me (though it shouldn't) is that DVDaf continues to erroneously list that the 1986 documentary Directed by William Wyler is included (I believe it was planned to be included, but dropped either for disc space or rights issues). Of course, I can always just buy it in the double-feature Kino Video release with The Love Trap, but still...
Disneykid wrote:(it's my goal to own every film that's either been a Best Picture winner or a part of AFI's top 100 lists, the latter of which applies here)
Awesome, me too! As it stands, I've only got 22 of the AA winners (23 if you count Sunrise), 76 of the AA nominees, and 43 of the original AFI 100 list. Some movies I simply don't feel motivated in buying (the Godfather films, for example) while others are OOP and difficult to find (Wuthering Heights has been OOP for a decade and The Third Man went OOP last year).

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

I've yet to see Ben-Hur, but I WILL hunt it down and review it for my site.

Citizen Kane I am writing the review for it. I personally loved the film, especially the narrative. But I label it as the art house film of the classic film era because its so experimental I wouldn't be surprised if people doesn't care for it.
ImageImageImageImage

jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

pap64 wrote:I've yet to see Ben-Hur, but I WILL hunt it down and review it for my site.
I recommend both Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ (the 1925 silent version), and Ben-Hur (the 1959 William Wyler remake). I saw the epic remake first and never thought in a million years that the silent version could be as good but it was. To my surprise it was every bit a epic and enthralling (big budget sets and all). I love them both equally and really hope the 1925 version is restored and included on this Blu-ray set.

I must note that the old DVD set included all three films (1907, 1925, and 1959), so chances of them appearing on Blu-ray are good. I can't recommend the original 1907 Ben-Hur. If you must, watch it only for historical purposes, but don't expect a good movie (it only runs 15 minutes).
pap64 wrote:Citizen Kane I am writing the review for it. I personally loved the film, especially the narrative. But I label it as the art house film of the classic film era because its so experimental I wouldn't be surprised if people doesn't care for it.
I liked it when I first saw it. I was impressed with the makeup and story telling but wasn't sure why some insist it's the greatest movie ever made. Then I watched the two-hour documentary that was on the DVD: The Battle Over Citizen Kane. I gained a whole new perspective on the movie, learning all about William Randolph Hearst (who I'll admit I'd never heard of), and the controversy surrounding the film (all of which was common knowledge to the audience at the time). I re-watched it recently with that new perspective and enjoyed it far more then my first viewing, especially since Orson Welles (The Lady from Shanghai, The Third Man, Touch of Evil) and Joseph Cotten (The Magnificent Ambersons, Shadow of a Doubt, Gaslight, The Third Man) have become two of my favorite actors. It'll never hold up to it's reputation of being the greatest movie ever made, so in many ways it's damned to always disappoint, but I still found it very enjoyably.

I personally felt that the DVD's picture quality was amazing. Equal to or greater then Casablanca's restoration. There was some issues with the DNR (where's the rain) but I'm sure Lowry is making a new restoration that will look even better (without the problems). Can't wait for the Blu-ray.

If you want a good movie told in a similar style as Citizen Kane, I recommend the 1946 adaption of Ernest Hemingway's The Killers.
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

jpanimation wrote:I must note that the old DVD set included all three films (1907, 1925, and 1959), so chances of them appearing on Blu-ray are good. I can't recommend the original 1907 Ben-Hur. If you must, watch it only for historical purposes, but don't expect a good movie (it only runs 15 minutes).
:?

Is the 1907 version an Easter Egg? I remember seeing clips of it in the documentaries on the fourth disc, but never the whole thing (though it is on youtube). None of the reviews I've read (DVDBeaver, DVDTalk, DVDVerdict, etc.) for the 2005 DVD mention it being included.

albert
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

Escapay wrote:Is the 1907 version an Easter Egg? I remember seeing clips of it in the documentaries on the fourth disc, but never the whole thing (though it is on youtube). None of the reviews I've read (DVDBeaver, DVDTalk, DVDVerdict, etc.) for the 2005 DVD mention it being included.
Maybe I just watched it on YouTube right after I rented it and I'm confusing that for it being on the DVD. Either way, I could care less if it's on the Blu-ray set but I really like the 1925 version and hope it's there. As for the 1959 remake, the 65mm negative should make for an amazing looking Blu-ray.
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

jpanimation wrote:
Escapay wrote:Is the 1907 version an Easter Egg? I remember seeing clips of it in the documentaries on the fourth disc, but never the whole thing (though it is on youtube). None of the reviews I've read (DVDBeaver, DVDTalk, DVDVerdict, etc.) for the 2005 DVD mention it being included.
Maybe I just watched it on YouTube right after I rented it and I'm confusing that for it being on the DVD.
Ah, okay. I thought I was going crazy for awhile and that my DVD set was defective.
jpanimation wrote:Either way, I could care less if it's on the Blu-ray set but I really like the 1925 version and hope it's there.
Ditto.

albert
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
KubrickFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by KubrickFan »

Hopefully the 1925 version will be in HD as well. I'm very interested as to how those two strip color scenes would look.
my chicken is infected
Anniversary Edition

Post by my chicken is infected »

I used to own the 2005 4-Disc set, but I never even got around to watching the 1959 version - not a big Heston fan, but I remembered liking the '59 film. I ended up selling my copy, although I *ahem* made a DVD-R copy of the 1925 silent version. Maybe I'll pick up the new set next year, I don't know.

But I'm still excited to see more classics come to Blu-Ray. Even though I don't yet own a player.
-Joey
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

http://www.digitalbits.com/#mytwocents

"Well folks... I guess we have one MORE MAJOR update for you. Warner has just informed us that they'll be releasing their long-awaited Ben-Hur: 50th Anniversary Ultimate Collector's Edition on Blu-ray and DVD this fall! (You may recall, we first teased this release back in November of last year.) The "limited and numbered" edition will be available in stores in time for the holiday shopping season - specific street date and SRP TBA. Included will be a reproduction of the personal diary that Charlton Heston kept during the production, complete with personal photos and his own sketches. There will also be a new HD documentary on Heston's experiences during the making of the film, entitled Charlton Heston & Ben-Hur: A Personal Journey, which includes home movie footage shot by his wife Lydia inside the Colosseum set. That's in addition to all of the previous DVD special features, which include audio commentary, Ben-Hur: The 1925 Silent Version, the 2005 Ben-Hur: The Epic That Changed Cinema documentary, the 1994 Ben-Hur: The Making of an Epic documentary, the Ben-Hur: A Journey Through Pictures A/V presentation (featuring photos, storyboards, sketches, music and dialogue from the film), screen tests, vintage newsreels, highlights from the 1960 Academy Awards ceremony, trailers and more. You'll also get an exclusive book filled with production photos, production art and a reproduction of the original theatrical press book. The Blu-ray version will feature 2 BD-50s, while the DVD version will be a 5-disc set. And let me tell you, I've now had the chance to see before and after images of the new 6K HD restoration for Blu-ray, taken from the original 65mm camera elements, and the difference is stunning. Here's a look at the cover art for the package, and the open packaging for the DVD set..."
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

YAY!!! :D

Finally!

A little disappointed we might only get one new bonus feature, but I can live with that as long as the film looks stunning in hi-def.

I'm so excited! :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink:
disneyftw1
Gold Classic Collection

Post by disneyftw1 »

I'll pass the pricey box set and wait for the movie-only version. The 2005 DVD set is good enough for me in terms of bonus features. Why spend more for stuff that you would only watch once? (The Wizard of Oz Ultimate box set, though, was worth getting.)
Cordy_Biddle
Anniversary Edition

Post by Cordy_Biddle »

I know it sounds absurd for a self-confessed classic movie nut, but "Citizen Kane" has constantly eluded my path. Might wait a while longer and get the Blu-ray. Don't have much interest in "Ben Hur" though...
I'm just valentine candy and boxing-gloves!

My DVD Collection :
http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/
Cordy_Biddle
Anniversary Edition

Post by Cordy_Biddle »

Escapay wrote:
Disneykid wrote: Awesome, me too! As it stands, I've only got 22 of the AA winners (23 if you count Sunrise), 76 of the AA nominees, and 43 of the original AFI 100 list. Some movies I simply don't feel motivated in buying (the Godfather films, for example) while others are OOP and difficult to find (Wuthering Heights has been OOP for a decade and The Third Man went OOP last year).

albert
I recently got the UK edition of "Wuthering Heights". No extras at all but the transfer is good quality. Why MGM never decided to reissue the DVD is anybody's guess.
I'm just valentine candy and boxing-gloves!

My DVD Collection :
http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »