Star Wars Saga Blu Ray set confirmed to be in the works

All topics on all things Lucasfilm.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Star Wars Saga Blu Ray set confirmed to be in the works

Post by disneyboy20022 »

thedigitalbits.com wrote:Also today, we've even got a little bit of Star Wars Blu-ray news for you - not the Clone Wars set mind you, but the actual 6-film Saga! Brian Young of Examiner.com interviewed Lucasfilm's Steve Sansweet down at Comic-Con, and he asked about the possibility of the long-awaited "ultimate" Star Wars Saga box set coming to DVD and Blu-ray. Steve says it's definitely coming in the next few years, and work is already underway on the content. You should definitely check out Brian's original story here for the full update on the set
http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-2730 ... -on-Bluray

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

The greatest Blu-Ray news in the history of Blu-ray history! :D
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Mickeyfan1990 wrote:The greatest Blu-Ray news in the history of Blu-ray history! :D
Amen to that....Live Long and Prosp...err May the Force be with us in the shade of Blu :P
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

It's nice to have confirmation, but did anyone really not think we weren't going to see this "in the next few years"?
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

Hopefully they include the original versions of Episode IV - VI on Blu-ray. The non-anamorphic versions on disc 2 of the DVDs look terrible, but they are better than nothing.

Either way I'll pickup IV - VI on Blu-ray if they are available separate. If not I'll pickup the box set.
rexcrk
Anniversary Edition

Post by rexcrk »

^^^ At least the lightsabers aren't all messed up in the "bonus disc" versions of the movies ;)
But the thing that makes Woody special, is he'll never give up on you... ever. He'll be there for you, no matter what.
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

Yay! George milks the cow again!

Will Phantom Menace at least have the CGI Yoda puppet replacement that was briefly shown in one trailer?
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

Mickeyfan1990 wrote:The greatest Blu-Ray news in the history of Blu-ray history! :D
Nah. The greatest Blu-Ray news in the history of Blu-Ray history is when The Rocketeer hits Blu with hours of special features and a sneak peek at Disney's latest franchise-taken-out-of-the-mothballs The New Adventures of The Rocketeer.

This is followed by the second greatest Blu-ray news in the history of Blu-Ray, when Disney announces Newsies is coming to Blu-Ray in an all-new "Pelvic Thrust Edition"...in 3-D!

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

Escapay wrote:This is followed by the second greatest Blu-ray news in the history of Blu-Ray, when Disney announces Newsies is coming to Blu-Ray in an all-new "Pelvic Thrust Edition"...in 3-D!

albert
"Pelvic Thrust Edition"? I thought it was going to be called the "Trash Your Lights by Amatuers" edition. :wink:
rexcrk
Anniversary Edition

Post by rexcrk »

Just got myself an HD TV and Blu-ray player last week, I can't wait till Star Wars comes to Blu-ray! I just watched The Empire Strikes Back last night (the 2004 DVD release) and it looked great, and that's just the DVD! I can only imagine how great it'll be in hi-def.

Ideally I'd love the original un-edited versions in hi-def as well. And I hope they fix the transfers on the Blu-ray, no crummy lightsabers this time, please ;)

And actually I hope they fix the credits. I know it sounds silly, but it's just kinda stupid when they have "The voice of The Emperor- Clive Revill" in the 2004 DVD when Ian McDiarmid played him in that one.
But the thing that makes Woody special, is he'll never give up on you... ever. He'll be there for you, no matter what.
Cordy_Biddle
Anniversary Edition

Post by Cordy_Biddle »

Great news! I could care less about the prequels but the original Trilogy is a must in BD. Now all we need is the "Indiana Jones" trilogy... 8)
I'm just valentine candy and boxing-gloves!

My DVD Collection :
http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

Barbossa wrote:Yay! George milks the cow again!

Will Phantom Menace at least have the CGI Yoda puppet replacement that was briefly shown in one trailer?
Exactly! You know, I was waiting to get the DVD's just because I was waiting for CGI Yoda in Episode One. Now, I don't think I really care enough anymore to wait.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

We most likely will be getting the CGI Yoda in Episode I for the Blu-ray release:
MovieWeb wrote:Are you going to go back and make Yoda completely CGI for the first prequel?

Rob Coleman: We've actually have gone ahead and done that. We did that between Episode II and III. It was really an exercise to get the team back into the character. On Episode II I was really stressing living up to what my friend here created. So a lot of our focus was on that final battle sequence between Yoda and Count Dookuu. We'd nver seen Yoda do that before. But in the process we were learning about acting as animators. So it was really exciting for me to have the team back again, between Two and Episode III. We used Episode I, as a test bed, because we really didn't know what was gonna be in Episode III, and got the team back up to speed and really honed in on our acting. And using that as springboard we went right into Episode III.

Don't you feel that by going back and digitizing Yoda in Episode I that you're losing 50% of Frank's performace? (Note: Frank Oz provided the puppeteering for Yoda in every film until he went completely CGI.)

Rob Coleman: We don’t lose 50% of his performance because not only we have his voice which stays across of course, but we also have what he did in that movie and that was our touchstone. And we used it absolutely, exactly. It wasn’t my desire to do what he did. It was focusing my animators on what he didn’t do, and just bring that over into the CG world. It was a fantastic exercise for us to get a little bit inside his head, but very specifically to how Yoda moves and interacts with the actors.
This interview came from a press event held for the DVD release of Revenge of the Sith in 2005, where Lucasfilm confirmed plans to replace the puppet Yoda in Episode I with the CGI version known from Episode II & III for the eventual release of the 6-DVD collection (obviously that DVD collection was delayed and it's now a Blu-ray collection). As much as I hate Lucas tinkering with these films, I just never felt the puppet in Episode I was as well done as the ones in the original trilogy and that the CGI Yoda would fit perfectly in the prequel universe.

If Lucas insists on using his "Special Editions," then I hope he touches up the CGI Jabba again in A New Hope (as while he looks better than in theaters, he still looks bad). I personally feel that scene with Jabba is pointless and should be left on the cutting room floor (it's the only part of the Special Edition that bothers me). The Special Edition of Empire is actually not that bad and Jedi is only bad with the CGI Max Rebo Band (the changes to the ending are annoying but I can live with them).

You never know what Lucas will be giving us.
rexcrk
Anniversary Edition

Post by rexcrk »

As long as Lucas gives us the original unaltered trilogy on Blu-ray as well, he can do whatever the hell he wants to the movies :lol:

It just seems foolish for Lucas to not properly restore the unaltered versions, I'd pay extra for that, that's easy money right there, George!
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

But its his decision, in the end, and he puts out what he feels is ideal.

I dont care what version comes about, because all the movies are good as a whole.
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

This on Mania.com:

Star Wars Blu-ray Update

Maybe it's time to reboot and remake the Star Wars prequel trilogy with Christopher Nolan. :D

Would be cool if in this set they could include the original Star Tours film before it's replaced at Disneyland with Star Tours 2.0.
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

rexcrk wrote:As long as Lucas gives us the original unaltered trilogy on Blu-ray as well, he can do whatever the hell he wants to the movies :lol:

It just seems foolish for Lucas to not properly restore the unaltered versions, I'd pay extra for that, that's easy money right there, George!
Thats why I love the Blade Runner UCE Blu-ray and E.T. CE DVD set. They include all versions available. I personally prefer the 20th anniversary version of E.T. and the Final Cut of Blade Runner over the originals, but I'm really happy that I have the option to watch the originals if I wanted. It's a really good move to include both versions and I'm sure many would be willing to pay more for a set with that option.

I really hope they have a direct digital transfer for Episode I this time and I was never really happy that they used a film transfer on the DVD.
slave2moonlight
Diamond Edition

Post by slave2moonlight »

I have the saga on the original DVD releases of each, and I just never wanted to rebuy them yet again on DVD to get the original versions, though I wanted them (I had bought the saga twice on VHS, and Episode 1 on VHS once). I put it off and put it off, so I REALLY hope they are on the Blu-Rays. Otherwise, I'll just HAVE to get the DVDs with the original versions too. I also hope the Blu-Rays have some toy commercials and the Star Wars holiday special, as totally unlikely as that is. Yeah, I know Lucas hates it, but most of us Star Wars fanatics have copies anyway and would greatly appreciate GOOD copies.

And, when, oh when, will we get some decent releases of Ewoks and Droids?!!!

As for the changes, yeah, I'd like to see them replace the Episode 1 Yoda, though the original version should be included in deleted scenes, and same goes for the original version of the CGI Jabba in Episode 4, bad as it was. Frankly, I like it well enough now with the redone Jabba. I also really like the way Cloud City was opened up for Empire (though it would be cool to be able to watch it the old way again; the original versions of the classic films was a bit more claustrophobic, but to me that made it all feel more like being out in space). The Special Edition changes that really bother me are, more than anything, the musical number in Jabba's Palace, the replacement of old Anakin's spirit with Young Anakin (which I just don't think makes sense if he was redeemed right before he died), and the redubbing of Boba. That's all that comes to mind off the top of my head. Oh, never liked that the cut out the wolfman from the cantina either. I LOVED him! And while I was less bothered by the "Han Shot First" thing than everyone else, I still would prefer the original version there. I didn't mind them replacing the emperor in Empire, since it actually helped the continuity even for the originals, but the original was very creepy in his own way, so another reason I need to get the original versions in some form (other than my current VHS tapes that I think I still have).
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Escapay wrote:
Nah. The greatest Blu-Ray news in the history of Blu-Ray history is when The Rocketeer hits Blu with hours of special features and a sneak peek at Disney's latest franchise-taken-out-of-the-mothballs The New Adventures of The Rocketeer.

This is followed by the second greatest Blu-ray news in the history of Blu-Ray, when Disney announces Newsies is coming to Blu-Ray in an all-new "Pelvic Thrust Edition"...in 3-D!

albert
I was thinking more "Razzle Dazzle 'Razzy-Award Winning' Edition"