Why are the Disney Animated Classics differnet in the UK?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

I think what we can learn from this is that not even Disney knows or maybe even cares about this list anymore, save for the fact that it can help sell their movies! Sounds to me like it's now more of a personal list as there is no "official" list anymore. It seems to change from decade to decade, country to country!
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

Anybody got anything to say about the list as presented on the leaflet which I scanned and posted here to *discuss* it? TLM is off the Diamond list, according to this leaflet. How do we feel about that?
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

Well, so's Peter Pan according to that scan. [shrugs]

While its probably excisable to assume everything on the Platinum List would be carried over to the Diamond collection, probably it won't. But I think its far to early to assumed that (even if the listing isn't a mistake) any final decisions have been made at this point.

However, considering the Diamond collection is mainly aimed at Blu-ray releases (Snow White has proved that beyond a shadow of a doubt) perhaps its missing (for now?) because a suitable HD restoration/transfer is not yet available? Or they're having trouble creating one? The original Little Mermaid Limited Edition DVD was absolutely disgraceful picture wise, so perhaps the source isn't that great and while good enough for a restoration for the SD Platinum collection DVD its not good enough for a HD restoration?

But on the face of it, it seems like madness to omit The Little Mermaid.
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
yamiiguy
Anniversary Edition

Numbered Spine REISSUES (UK but US people read anyway)

Post by yamiiguy »

Apparently in the UK the Blu-Ray Dumbo release will have a numbered spine, if this happened in the US would you like it? Do you like uniformity?
Last edited by yamiiguy on Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
toonaspie
Anniversary Edition

Post by toonaspie »

I think the canon numbering though is different in different countries. I know some countries consider films like "Jungle Book 2" and "Return to Neverland" as canon films just because they were released in theaters.

I would like the numbering idea if Disney can make the packaging for all the films the same (and consistent) but that is never gonna happen as far as we know.
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!! Also, as long as they keep adding a border of some kind on the edges of each release, be it blue or gold, then they will have a more uniform look. This is a great idea!
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I'd go crazy if they did that in the US. I'd had to save up, buy all the Disney DVDs, then rearrange my alphabetized-chronological ordering of my DVDs. And only because I'm incredibly neurotic about this type of thing.
pvdfan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by pvdfan »

Not a fan at all. All my movies are arranged by title so they are easier to find. Thus the number on it would just look odd. Its already happened to me once on the Fox Studio Classic line.
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

I already keep my Disney movies in chronological order but I imagine the numbering system wouldn't match what I have going on.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

I think the number means Dumbo is the 4th Disney classic on Blu-ray.
Margos
Anniversary Edition

Post by Margos »

ajmrowland wrote:I think the number means Dumbo is the 4th Disney classic on Blu-ray.
It means it's the 4th Disney classic, period.
1. Snow White
2. Pinocchio
3. Fantasia
4. Dumbo
5. Bambi
(and so on and so forth)
http://dragonsbane.webs.com
http://childrenofnight.webs.com

^My websites promoting my two WIP novels! Check them out for exclusive content!
REINIER
Anniversary Edition

Post by REINIER »

Already they are no longer consistent with their own releases.

If they planned to produce such a line then why exclude sleeping beauty from number 16 (it's 16 right??)

I have always hoped that one day their would be a more consistent way of organizing our dvd/blu libraries..

be it

a- colourwise (using different colourschemes for silver/gold/ren.. period)
b- using some sort of banner to use on the spine of each movie
c- stop using different types of spine-colouring..

Actually I believe they are starting to use my last option, still it's a
pitty they waited untill bluray to start this :roll:
When it comes to brains, I got the lion-share,
but when it comes to bruth strength, I'm afraid I'm at the shallow end of the gene pool
yamiiguy
Anniversary Edition

Post by yamiiguy »

REINIER wrote:Already they are no longer consistent with their own releases.

If they planned to produce such a line then why exclude sleeping beauty from number 16 (it's 16 right??)

I have always hoped that one day their would be a more consistent way of organizing our dvd/blu libraries..

be it

a- colourwise (using different colourschemes for silver/gold/ren.. period)
b- using some sort of banner to use on the spine of each movie
c- stop using different types of spine-colouring..

Actually I believe they are starting to use my last option, still it's a
pitty they waited untill bluray to start this :roll:
Well Sleeping Beauty is a Platinum Edition and it will likely be re-released as a Diamond Edition. I don't have an explanation for Snow White though.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

yamiiguy wrote: I don't have an explanation for Snow White though.
See, what's the point of numbering if they don't remain consistent? If the Snow White or Sleeping Beauty Blu-ray was numbered too, then I would be more OK with this policy.
Last edited by Sotiris on Tue May 29, 2012 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
BK
Gold Classic Collection

Post by BK »

Apparently there's a Mulan DVD with #2 on it so I don't think they mean anything at all...of course they were put there for a reason...
JustOneBite87
Gold Classic Collection

Post by JustOneBite87 »

There's always the possibility that they will do a printing of Snow White with a #1 on it before it goes back to the vault.
The_Iceflash
Anniversary Edition

Post by The_Iceflash »

JustOneBite87 wrote:There's always the possibility that they will do a printing of Snow White with a #1 on it before it goes back to the vault.
There would be an uproar if they did that by those who already bought it. :lol:
BK
Gold Classic Collection

Post by BK »

Okay, it's been updated to a #36 and I'm just going to assume that's right.

However it's a DVD only Musical Masterpiece Edition which joins Aladdin and Pocahontas for the UK or maybe Region 2 as a whole.

I'm just beginning to wonder now whether Disney actually intends to release any other non-Platinums on BR/HD. From the past we already know Disney has no logic or reason for their decisions and it's pointless to try and analyze them from mistimed anniversaries, pointless double dips, lack of uniformity etc so is it really wise to assume they will release them?

I mean, eventually, yeah, but is anyone honestly going to care if they finally decide to release them 5 years from now? They've already botched up their chance with so many releases and bad advertising to get a new generation interested in Disney.

If what people said was true last time, that a lot of people forgot about Aladdin after 10 years, who the hell will remember Hunchback of ND which had piss-poor release and marketing? This whole elitism of Platinums and nonchalant f*** you attitude to everything else is idiotic. Just another day with executives though. :roll:
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

Someday when I'm the head of the home video division at Disney, I'm going to create my own system of numbering based solely on my whims. Perhaps it will be by how much pudding appears in a film. Then I will give each movie a spine number based on that.

...and wait for the heads to explode.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
yamiiguy
Anniversary Edition

Post by yamiiguy »

I can confirm that Disney UK IS reissuing titles with numbered spines, which no doubt will anger people! These are small images but you can tell:

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

I can't see anything on Snow White or Pinocchio yet though.