What Was the Last TV Show You Watched? Volume 2

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

Moribito - Complete Series

Its only 26 episodes long but Cartoon Network sure took their time showing it. After an entire year they finally finished showing it a couple weeks ago. Its from the same guy who did Ghost in the Shell: SAC, with the same incredibly high production values that comes with Production IG shows, but it just didn't have the depth Ghost in the Shell had to really keep my attention. Just like Ghost in the Shell, this has a strong female lead (Balsa) who is very likable and can kick some serious ass, but she's also hard to figure out sometimes (really didn't see the reasoning behind some of what she was doing). The biggest problem with the whole series is it felt way to dragged out and probably should've only been half the episodes. Had it been shorter, I may've enjoyed it more. One thing I really didn't like was Mona Marshall playing the prince in the english dub (using the same over-the-top girls-take-on-a-young-boys voice she used in Digimon). She just didn't match the character at all, the high pitched cartoony voice with the realistic character design, and it distracted me throughout the entire series. Cindy Robinson was perfect as Balsa, the main protagonist (just as perfect as Mary Elizabeth McGlynn as The Major in Ghost in the Shell). The animation and character designs are very good (none of that pointy nosed, big eyed anime crap I can't stand).

Overall, I'd say rent it or catch it on TV, but not a buy.
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

The West Wing- Season 2

So far, I've only made it to episode 5, so don't ruïn it for me.

Characters are all great, acting is flawless, writing is clever, dialogues are funny, the stories are exciting and involving. If only these people were really in charge of the White House!
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

I watched King of the Hill on Adult Swim last night before I went to bed.
niamh_nimrod

Post by niamh_nimrod »

I just watched FlashForward. I said I would not watch it because when I go back to college on the 20th, it's annoying having to keep up with tv shows. And since it's made by the people who created Lost, I suspect that it will go on for seasons and seasons after I lose interest, but I accidently started watching it, and I must admit I enjoyed it. :D
BelleGirl
Anniversary Edition

Post by BelleGirl »

Yesterday I watched the third episode of The Good Wife and the first episode of the second series of Dexter. I will have a good Tv-night every Friday for the coming weeks! :)

See my growing collection of Disney movie-banners at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/78256383@N ... 651337290/
GloomyEeyore
Gold Classic Collection

Post by GloomyEeyore »

Last night I watched the Red Wings game, it was a great game.
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Post by PeterPanfan »

niamh_nimrod wrote:I just watched FlashForward. I said I would not watch it because when I go back to college on the 20th, it's annoying having to keep up with tv shows. And since it's made by the people who created Lost, I suspect that it will go on for seasons and seasons after I lose interest, but I accidently started watching it, and I must admit I enjoyed it. :D
JJ Abrams didn't create FlashFoward. :?
tomorrow land 341

Post by tomorrow land 341 »

big brother!

i'm hooked on it as usual.
Scarred4life
Anniversary Edition

Post by Scarred4life »

Law And Order SVU on dvd
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Wow, The Secret Life of the American Teenager.

This is perhaps the most exceptional comedy ever produced for television. It's a wonder there's no laugh track.
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

<center>- - - - -</center>

Season 6, Episode #9: "Staired in Horror"
-
When R. Lee Ermey is the best actor in a movie or television episode, you know you're in trouble. D.B. Sweeney (who isn't even that foxy anyway) is a thief, murderer, and first-class jerk. We see him running through the woods in some southern state and he finds a plantation-like home and some dried-up southern-belle and the whole thing reeks of someone behind the camera having a thing for Gone with the Wind. He's a really bad actor and she's actually a much younger actress giving an inauthentic "old lady" performance. But the episode does get a lot better when the style really kicks in (director Stephen Hopkins has no real winners in the horror genre but his stuff sure looks GORGEOUS). As soon as Sweeney starts acting like an old man and can't give us his pathetic toughguy routine anymore. Think about that, seriously- he's bullying an "old woman." How tough is that? Thankfully- it's not sleazy at all, and the story gets really good once you know what the deal with the stairs is all about. And, shockingly- a classic twist ending. Surprisingly creepy.

Season 6, Episode #10: "In the Groove"
-
Miguel Ferrer is such a hottie. Now, here's a man who can (somehow) get away with a toughguy front. Though not so much in this episode, where he plays a frustrated D.J. whose show has a theme about sex. He just... complains too much. And, taking the awful twist into account, is so easy to manipulate that you realize he didn't have a strong character to begin with- unlike the toughguys in earlier episodes (i.e.: Lance Henriksen's Reno in "Cutting Cards"). The only person here with any real character is sitcom pro Wendie Malick, who is stunning as always as the evil, bitchy sister. It's not a great bitch role, but she looks great playing it. Then, we've got the blonde (Linda Doucett) who is pretty flat. I have a hard time believing she gets in anyone's head. Anyway, the twist in this episode is so bad, that you realize how much you wish they would have gone for something supernatural. Heck, the Ben Stiller Show did a parody of Tales from the Crypt that is a lot like this episode and that had a better twist than this boring "conspiracy" plot. Who else was waiting to see the ghost of the evil dead mother come back and kill someone? Also, not enough shots of Ferrer in those leather pants. Cameos include the adorable Rusty Schwimmer (Candyman, Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday) as a jilted caller (why is she dressed like she works at a fast-food chicken franchise?), and - believe it or not - the real Slash from Guns 'N Roses playing another D.J. who I can only assume is supposed to be a fake Slash.

Season 6, Episode #11: "Surprise Party"
-
One bad door closes and another bad door opens. This time, it's Adam Storke stinking things up (his performance here makes Stephen Shellen in "Lover Come Hack to Me" look like Laurence Olivier) as a greedy little bastard son of a corrupt property owner (something to do with food, since he's a business man who owns a farm) who feels he must visit the burnt-down building his father spent so much time at. Only to discover it's full of sorta-hippies having a drugged-out party there. Truly, the only plusses to this terrible episode are a little style and Bette Ford (I immediately thought: "Betty Ford?! Is that the real Betty Ford?" I'm sure she didn't mean to copy someone else's name :D ). I don't know who she is or where she came from, but she's amazing here. She's so good, she should have been the old women in "Staired in Horror." The only moment (other than her scene) that sparked any interest in me whatsoever was after the bastard-son's non-fling upstairs, you look up and see... are there huge holes in the ceiling and wall? It's trickling rain outside- it's been raining during the entire episode. They would have gotten soaked! Painfully bad twist. Bad episode. Skip, skip, skip!

Season 6, Episode #12: "Doctor of Horror"
-
Finally; an episode in a string I can honestly say I had fun with! The comic talent here is just incredible- country singer Travis Tritt (who I didn't know was also an actor but is nonetheless very amusing here), the Weasel-King himself: Austin Pendleton (The Muppet Movie, My Cousin Vinny, Mr. Nanny, Guarding Tess), hunky wild-man Hank Azaria (who we all know is a genius and has huge mainstream credits to prove it), and an A-typically angry Ben Stein (usually he's just mockingly deadpan- Casper, The Mask). I laughed, I smiled, I was entertained and grossed out. The writing here is really good, the ideas are interesting, and the performances really work. However, it eventually suffers from the series' need for a twist. So, we get the most cliched and obvious choice for a twist, not satisfying or fun in the least. Otherwise, this is a great episode. And... newly-2nd careered Republican slimeball Stein is viciously murdered, then violated post-mortem by weirdo Azaria. Yay!
Last edited by Lazario on Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4 Disney Atmosphere Images
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

Currently watching The Bad Girls Club, haha. Before that, I watched GREEK last night! I love that show!
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

<center>- - - - -</center>

Season 6, Episode #6: "The Bribe"
-
The world's always been a sad, sad place- if you've had the guts to keep your eyes open, you can see it. Is this episode about what a dirty, sick place it can be too? Is about nihilism and selling out and a father's hardship? No. That's what eventually makes it a successful and subversive little episode. It sets up the poor, put-upon father as an ultra-moral and conservative guy who is willing to do anything to believe his daughter is really a good girl at heart. Well, she is. But there's no such thing as a good girl who lives a completely clean life. He's not willing to believe this, and pays the price for it at the end. And we the viewer aren't expected the empathize with him. We know how naive he is. Best of all is, when he does become a hypocrite- he thinks he isn't one. He's completely clueless. And the episode doesn't glorify the strip club people either. They backstab each other too (in subtle ways). The two main villains of the episode get what they deserve (in this case, Terry O'Quinn becomes a villain by not accepting that he can't control other people- he's an oppressor) and the underdog 'Bonnie' and 'Clyde' of the episode get the chance to ascend from the ashes of their failed superiors.

Great music too. I don't know who Pray for Rain are, but I like 'em.
Last edited by Lazario on Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Sordid Lives The Series: A Black Comedy About White Trash.
I LOVED IT!!!!!!
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

Played a bit of a game since the entire series of Scrubs was added to Netflix: Watch Instant, I've been watching only the first 7-10 episodes of seasons 2, 3, and 4. Then, I realized that I knew the beginning of the first season much better than I knew the middle, so I went into the middle of season 1. My last watched:

Season 4
1. My Old Friend's New Friend
2. My Office
3. My New Game
4. My First Kill
5. Her Story
6. My Cake
7. My Common Enemy
8. My Last Chance
9. My Malpractice Decision
10. My Female Trouble

Season 3
1. My American Girl
2. My Journey
3. My ... White Whale? (I still don't know the right order of this season)
4. My Lucky Night?
5. My Brother, Where Art Thou?(?)
6. My Advice to You?
7. My Fifteen Seconds
8. My Friend the Doctor
9. My Dirty Secret

Season 2
1. My Overkill
2. My Nightingale
3. My Case Study
4. My Big Mouth
5. My New Coat
6. My Big Brother
7. My First Step
8. My Fruit Cups
9. My Lucky Day
10. My Monster
11. My Sex Buddy
12. My Old New Friend
13. My Philosophy
14. My Brother, My Keeper
15. His Story
16. My Karma
17. My Own Private Practice Guy

Season 1
6. My Bad
7. My Super Ego
8. My Fifteen Minutes
9. My Day Off
12. My Blind Date
13. My Balancing Act
14. My Drug Buddy
15. My Bed, Banter, and Beyond
17. My Student
18. My Tuscaloosa Heart
19. My Old Man
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Body of Proof on Tuesday nights after Dancing With The Stars for now. Dana Delaney is excellent as a former surgeon who, because of an accident, can't practice medicine any more so she becomes a Medical Examiner.

Only three shows in, but this series looks like it has what it takes to be a winner.
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
Mason_Ireton
Banned

Post by Mason_Ireton »

Boy Meets World Season 1-5 Love it love it love it, it kinda reflects my emotions that I went thru and mirrored some things that I'm currently goin thru. Highly recommend this show.
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

Gotten into The Nostalgia Critic's stash. The episodes he did for The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (animated tv series), The Neverending Story 2, and Care Bears Movie 2 had me laughing so hard, I literally became stained. I had to toss off my shirt and open the windows (even though it was 40 degrees outside!).
TheValentineBros
Anniversary Edition

Post by TheValentineBros »

Lazario wrote:Gotten into The Nostalgia Critic's stash. The episodes he did for The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (animated tv series), The Neverending Story 2, and Care Bears Movie 2 had me laughing so hard, I literally became stained. I had to toss off my shirt and open the windows (even though it was 40 degrees outside!).
Well, call me crazy, but I don't like the Nostalgia Critic anymore.
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

I haven't seen most of his videos (or even half). He's not usually funny. But I do think he's very insightful.