Maleficent (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
slave2moonlight
Diamond Edition

Maleficent (Live-Action)

Post by slave2moonlight »

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but I just read it and thought it was pretty cool. From Ain't It Cool News:

"Hey folks, Harry here with the coolest whisper I've heard in a while. I was chatting to a fella I know tonight, and this person heard that Tim Burton is developing another classic Disney fairy tale in a quasi Live Actiony kinda way. It seems that Tim has a hankering for SLEEPING BEAUTY... but not really... You see, he's going to tell the story from Maleficent's point of view. In fact, it'll be called MALEFICENT.

She was always the most interesting character in that story, but we never knew why she hated those three little fairy wenches... or what indignity she suffered at the hands of Aurora's parents. Yeah, I'm on board... if only it ends with Maleficent with a sword in her heart in dragon form. Cuz that'll rule. Think about how long this plotline was carried out over. She has quite a tale to tell. Let's see where it pops up in Burton's filmography. We're hearing that DARK SHADOWS is stumbling a bit... Let's see what Tim does next, he has some interesting choices before him."

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/43678

Disappointed to hear that about Dark Shadows though. I am a huge fan and was eager for that one! Wished a long time that I could make it myself (in the form of two trilogies, but that's something I used to talk about a lot).
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

http://www.ultimatedisney.com/forum/vie ... t&start=80

Still, we didn't even know if the film would be a DTV or a theatrical, so this is great news! Especially that Tim Burton is directing.

I hope this film is produced, I'd love to see it.
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

Wow, that would be nice, really nice...
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Do I see a franchise in the making? :) :wink:
Cordy_Biddle
Anniversary Edition

Post by Cordy_Biddle »

Fantastic news!
I'm just valentine candy and boxing-gloves!

My DVD Collection :
http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

Helena Bonham Carter = Maleficent?
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
Cosmic Creepers

Post by Cosmic Creepers »

I can't wait for this movie to be released. I love Tim Burton! I hope he can find some way to work Johnny Depp into this film. :mickeyface:
Duckburger
Special Edition

Post by Duckburger »

Tim Burton can't do wrong in my eyes, except if it's a movie called Planet of the Apes. :lol:

I do hope he'll keep the motion capture to a minimum (if used). I wonder what roles Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter and Christopher Lee will get, they seem to be standard in each Burton production, luckily they're good actors - so it's all good.

Still anticipating Alice in Wonderland.
Siren
Platinum Edition

Post by Siren »

OMG..... :o That is EPIC!
IagoZazu
Gold Classic Collection

Post by IagoZazu »

Very intresting. I knew that not being invited to the party wasn't the only reason why she cursed Aurora.
Say no to moldy, disgusting crackers!
MadasaHatter
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MadasaHatter »

rs_milo_whatever
Anniversary Edition

Post by rs_milo_whatever »

I see Hot Topic overstocking their store with merchandise for this movie. I would love to see this happen! There's just so many ways I see this going wrong with Tim Burton directing. It took me such a long time to get used to the look and feel of Alice in Wonderland and I expect Maleficent would look too similar to Alice. I'll hold my skepticism until I see some pictures from the set.

I really want to know if this is going to happen soon! I don't want to see Helena as Maleficent, though. I think somebody like Michelle Pfeifer would be perfect, I see Meryl Streep taking this on, Even if I don't like her I would accept Nicole Kidman in this eventually. Oh the possibilities.
bradhig
Anniversary Edition

Post by bradhig »

Why??? It will give sleeping beauty some dark ending and ruin it.
rs_milo_whatever
Anniversary Edition

Post by rs_milo_whatever »

You don't know that. Some of the greatest stories are tragedies, and this could very well be one for Maleficent.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Tim Burton's Maleficent?!

Post by Disney Duster »

IF THIS IS TRUE...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

WHO WOULD OF...WHAT?!AWESOMELYEPICALLYHUH?!!!!!

Tim Burton's adapting another film that isn't his own original story? Well, alright. This should end up looking much more like the original film in design, though, as Burton's Alice was not based on Disney's version, but this one is.

However, this has all but dashed my hopes for directing my own live-action Disney Sleeping Beauty feature, complete with Maleficent's backstory...!

Well, Disney did register MaleficentMovie.com!

Color me IMMENSELYEPICALLYEXCITED!!!!! HOLY SH!T A TIM BURTON DIRECTED MALEFICENT MOVIE!!!!!!
Siren
Platinum Edition

Post by Siren »

bradhig wrote:Why??? It will give sleeping beauty some dark ending and ruin it.
Not necessarily. This is simply Maleficent side of the story. It would be like saying Wicked gave a dark ending to Wizard of Oz.
Widdi
Anniversary Edition

Post by Widdi »

bradhig wrote:Why??? It will give sleeping beauty some dark ending and ruin it.
As opposed to the ever so happy ending where the Prince rapes her while she sleeps and she gets knocked up and her children are cooked and fed to the prince?
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Tim Burton's Maleficent?!

Post by Disney Duster »

Yo, the Prince doing the princess in her sleep was the earliest version, not Perrault's, she's only asleep and she wakes up before he does anything to her. He takes her to his ogress mom, but the cook hid the children and used other meat as the meals so the ogress only thought she was eating her son's children. She was going to throw her daughter in law and her grandkids in a pit of poisonous animals but when the prince returned from war she jumped in herself.

In the earliest version of the story, though, the ogress was the king's first wife, and that's when he went and had sex with a girl who he guessed was enchanted or something was up with her. That's why his old wife wanted to feed his own kids to him. She didn't though. The cook hid them, too, and served the king lamb. The king ordered his old wife to be thrown into a fire that she had prepared to burn the king's new mistress. The king and his mistress get married and then she's the new queen.

I think the cook that hides the children in a cottage in the forest is where Disney got Aurora hiding in a cottage in the forest...even though I feel that's already like Snow White.

As you can see, Perrault's hungry ogress mother of the prince makes way less sense than the earlier old jealous wife of the king, and Disney's version with Maleficent being the evil fairy with an ego serves the roles of both Perrault's and Grimm's angry old fairy and hungry ogress mother/ angry wife, and was the best.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

rs_milo_whatever wrote: I really want to know if this is going to happen soon! I don't want to see Helena as Maleficent, though. I think somebody like Michelle Pfeifer would be perfect, I see Meryl Streep taking this on, Even if I don't like her I would accept Nicole Kidman in this eventually. Oh the possibilities.
Why not someone like Susan Sarandon or Tilda Swinton?
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

I could see Tilda, but part of me wants to see a slightly younger actress than most of the ones listed here.

Acting-wise I guess Nicole Kidman could be okay, but with all the plastic surgery she's had, it might be better to just project the movie onto her forehead than to put her in it.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"