John Carter

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
magicalwands
Collector's Edition

Post by magicalwands »

I don't have any expectations for this because a live action is much different than an animated film...and Stanton has never worked with live action (except for a bit in WALL-E.) Even if his movie is a stinker, in the long run this experience will be good for him. As an artist, I get sick of one medium so I like to switch. Then when I'm sick of the new one, I go back to the previous one. Same with Stanton. I don't want him to be forced to work with animation and it turning out mediocre.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

I find it kind of odd having Pixar do it, but maybe it will be that much better. So does this mean Pixar is getting into live action? I'm mixed on that too, but I would not be surprised if after seeing this I'm sold. We'll see.

As for the story content, while yes, it has a lot of sex and violence, it would not be that hard to keep the spirit of the story and lessen the more graphic parts. Tarzan is actually the same way. I don't get why so many people aren't entertained unless someone is in bed with someone else or someone graphically kills someone else. I don't get it.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
goofystitch
Collector's Edition

Post by goofystitch »

milojthatch wrote:
I find it kind of odd having Pixar do it, but maybe it will be that much better. So does this mean Pixar is getting into live action? I'm mixed on that too, but I would not be surprised if after seeing this I'm sold. We'll see.
Pixar isn't doing it. Andrew Stanton is directing the film for Disney. It's almost like Pixar is loaning Stanton for this project. CG effects are being done by ILM. I know people say that this is wrong and that its all Pixar and blah blah blah, but it's not going to be billed as a Pixar film, which is what I mean. So yes, people from Pixar are working on it, but its not a Pixar film. That would be like saying that Walt Disney made The Wizard of Oz because MGM brought him in and took suggestions from him.
As for the story content, while yes, it has a lot of sex and violence, it would not be that hard to keep the spirit of the story and lessen the more graphic parts. Tarzan is actually the same way. I don't get why so many people aren't entertained unless someone is in bed with someone else or someone graphically kills someone else. I don't get it.
I agree. I haven't read the stories like some of the other members here, so I don't know for sure, but wouldn't it be possible for Disney to adapt the story without sex and without a ton of violence? And remember, we are living in an era where it is acceptable to have a PG-13 Disney film due to violence, so as long as they keep the violence PG-13 and the sex PG, then its fine. Although, like Pirates, this could be the film that pushes the boundaries even further.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

goofystitch wrote:milojthatch wrote:
Pixar isn't doing it. Andrew Stanton is directing the film for Disney. It's almost like Pixar is loaning Stanton for this project. CG effects are being done by ILM. I know people say that this is wrong and that its all Pixar and blah blah blah, but it's not going to be billed as a Pixar film, which is what I mean. So yes, people from Pixar are working on it, but its not a Pixar film. That would be like saying that Walt Disney made The Wizard of Oz because MGM brought him in and took suggestions from him.
I agree. I haven't read the stories like some of the other members here, so I don't know for sure, but wouldn't it be possible for Disney to adapt the story without sex and without a ton of violence? And remember, we are living in an era where it is acceptable to have a PG-13 Disney film due to violence, so as long as they keep the violence PG-13 and the sex PG, then its fine. Although, like Pirates, this could be the film that pushes the boundaries even further.
Oh, I thought I read that Pixar was making it? No? Intresting. I will be intrested to see what Stanton does, I am a fan of his so far.

Based on that other discussion, I'm suprised to see others on this board would agree with any stance of mine on violence and sex in films. I mean really, if you can't even trust Disney fans on this anymore, who is left? The World has truly become dark...
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
goofystitch
Collector's Edition

Post by goofystitch »

Well, I personally don't mind violence or sex in film as long as it serves a purpose to the story. When its unnecessary to the plot, I can usually spot it, but that is not really for this discussion.

At any rate, I think Disney has their hearts set on this being released under the Disney label, so they will do whatever it takes to make it suitable enough for that.
KubrickFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by KubrickFan »

milojthatch wrote: Oh, I thought I read that Pixar was making it? No? Intresting. I will be intrested to see what Stanton does, I am a fan of his so far.

Based on that other discussion, I'm suprised to see others on this board would agree with any stance of mine on violence and sex in films. I mean really, if you can't even trust Disney fans on this anymore, who is left? The World has truly become dark...
Pixar is producing it, as far as I know, or at least put up something of the budget.
goofystitch
Collector's Edition

Post by goofystitch »

Again, Pixar is NOT producing it. Creative people from Pixar ARE involved, but this is NOT a Pixar film and funding did NOT come from Pixar's budget. Funding is provided by Disney and that is who's name is planned to go above the title. As mentioned before, its possible that Disney will move it to Touchstone if it is too objectionable, but as of right now they have no plans to bill this as a Disney/Pixar film. Just Disney.
depooter

Post by depooter »

yep. there will be creative folks from Pixar involved (quite a few of them actually), but this will not be a Pixar film..

I don't believe Brad Bird's 1906 will be either...
kbehm29
Anniversary Edition

Post by kbehm29 »

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=57192

Willem Dafoe Joins John Carter of Mars

Willem Dafoe (Spider-Man) is set to star opposite Taylor Kitsch and Lynn Collins in Walt Disney Pictures' fantasy epic John Carter of Mars, to be directed by WALL•E and Finding Nemo helmer Andrew Stanton.

Variety says Dafoe will play the role of Tars Tarkas, a fierce green Martian warrior, who's unusual among his savage race for his ability to love. Tars develops an alliance with John Carter in the first film, which is based on "A Princess of Mars."

He fights battles alongside Carter through the entire series of Edgar Rice Burroughs books, so he will be hanging around for sequels.

Stanton wrote the script with Mark Andrews.
Disneyland Trips: 1983, 1992, 1995, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2016, Aug 2018
Walt Disney World Trips: 1999, 2007, 2011, 2014, 2016, ~Dec 2018~, ~Apr 2019~
Favorite Disney Movies: Peter Pan, 101 Dalmatians, Tangled, The Princess and the Frog, Enchanted, FROZEN
blackcauldron85

Some info on new casting:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/con ... d6c0?imw=Y
(via LaughingPlace.com)
blackcauldron85

Something that a commenter posted:

http://thedisneyblog.com/2009/09/12/d23 ... ovie-news/

Oh, and Andrew Stanton’s John Carter of Mars was officially announced for release in summer 2012, and will most likely be a trilogy.
blackcauldron85

http://blueskydisney.blogspot.com/2009/ ... tians.html

Thomas Haden Church, James Purefoy and Mark Strong have all joined the cast of Walt Disney Pictures “John Carter of Mars.” All three will play Martians that Civil War vet Carter encounters in his adventures on Mars. Church will portray Tal Hajus, an ambitious and viciously cruel Thark warrior who wishes to rule Mars. Purefoy will play Kantos Kan, the captain of the Xavarian, the kingdom of Helium’s grand warship. Strong will be Matai Shang, the ruler of the Thems who is worshiped almost as a god.

All of these actors join William Defoe, Lynn Collins and Taylor Kitsch, who plays the title role in this epic adaption of Edgar Rice Burroughs famous series of novels.
blackcauldron85

Bryan Cranston heading to 'Mars' for Pixar
http://www.heatvisionblog.com/2010/01/b ... dafoe.html
(via miceage.com)
Margos
Anniversary Edition

Post by Margos »

So... it's not Pixar, but a lot of Pixar people are working on it, right? But it is Disney..... And is it animated, or what? I'm kind of confused. What is this?
http://dragonsbane.webs.com
http://childrenofnight.webs.com

^My websites promoting my two WIP novels! Check them out for exclusive content!
blackcauldron85

It's live-action and it's Disney, but Pixar people are working on it, making it confusing. :p
Margos
Anniversary Edition

Post by Margos »

Oh. Just live action? No animation at all? If so, then my interest went from piqued to non-existent. Which is a disappointing sensation. :(

blackcauldron85

I'm sure there will be CGI special effects...
Margos
Anniversary Edition

Post by Margos »

blackcauldron85 wrote:I'm sure there will be CGI special effects...
I meant something like Enchanted. Or at least So Dear to my Heart for goodness sakes! :( It's just disappointing, since I had assumed this would be CG when I heard that Pixar people were working on it....
The only upcoming live-action film I'm even mildly interested in is "Alice in Wonderland," and that has so much mo-cap that I think it can only be called live-action in the loosest terms. Maybe this will be similar? *fingers crossed*

Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Margos wrote:
blackcauldron85 wrote:I'm sure there will be CGI special effects...
I meant something like Enchanted. Or at least So Dear to my Heart for goodness sakes! :( It's just disappointing, since I had assumed this would be CG when I heard that Pixar people were working on it....
Until we have the capability of actually shooting ON Mars, live-action/CGI hybrids will just have to do. ;)

Maybe it'll be like Avatar. I hope so.

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?