Father Ted set for US makeover

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

Oh, you'd be surprised how many 'Whovians' are over here! If they would have had the Daleks in the movie instead of or in addition to the Master, maybe it would have done better. I liked the telefilm as well, although it lacked something that the series had. Just that strange... quirkiness?

Did you know that the Fox Network here once did a pilot for an American version of Red Dwarf? I never saw it, but they say that all the actors were replaced except for Creighton the robot. The reason why that series was so funny was the actors! I also hear that they are working on a movie version of it, that should be good!
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

I thought the telemovie had enough quirkyness. It was critisised in the UK for being to violent but:

(a) I'm all for violence in order to show "evil" - the stronger the "evil" the greater the "good"
(b) If you watch the film, the Doctor does nothing violent himself. All he does is defend himself by shoving the Master away a couple of times. No kicks, no punches. He refuses to carry a gun. In addition when he does carry a gun he threatens himself with it! And in the end he offers to help the Master avoid his fate.

I'm my opinion, both of these points just show how special the Doctor is, and the producers (and Paul McGann) got the character spot on.

I don't know if your buying/renting the Dr Who DVDs, but the Dalek Invasion of Earth set is the best yet! The Talons of Weng-Chiang set is no slouch either for your Tom Baker fix!

My only complaint with the telemovie (yes I don't mind the Kiss or the Half-Human thing) is that it's not really a typical "Who" story.

As for Red Dwarf, I understand that they are filming it now in Australia. Chris Barrie held the schedule back a bit so he could work on Tomb Raider II. I have mixed feelings about Red Dwarf - the later seasons were much poorer than the earlier ones. I hope the movie is a return to form.
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

I had no problem with the violence in it either, I really didn't think that it was that violent. The kiss was odd and the motorcycle chase, that sort of thing never seemed to happen in the show. I loved the actor who played the Doctor, no problems there. Ain't-it-cool-new.com keep posting rumors about a Dr. Who movie or new show. Maybe one of them will turn out to be true!

I only have the first three Docotr Who DVDs, I HAD the movie box set, but one of the discs were bad so I had to return it and I haven't got around to buying it again. I plan to though.

I hope the Red Dwarf movie is a return to form as well. The early episodes were hillarious!
Matty-Mouse
Special Edition

Post by Matty-Mouse »

Gotta love Red Dwarf!
I hope we see Dwain Dibbley in the movie.

As for Doctor Who come you guys tell me what the story was called that had Sylvester as the Doctor and his "woman" was an actress called Sophie something (thats her real name, she's in loads of kids educational TV now) I think I remember there being a slime tank in one episode and a vampire in another. Am I nuts or is there such an story?
Dust? Anyone? No?
Dust? Anyone? No?
Dust? Anyone? No?

Well thats actually low in fat so you can eat as much of that as you like.