King of the Elves

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
toonaspie
Anniversary Edition

Post by toonaspie »

I read in another forum last night (though it might be a rumor) that theyre halting production on this film in favor of getting Snow Queen done by an earlier date.

Cant confirm anything but I'll look for that thread I read this in.
Babaloo
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Babaloo »

What I thought they were doing was getting this done right after Winnie the Pooh, because it seems that they want to release one traditionally animated movie then one CGI, and continue with that pattern (PatF, Rapunzel, Winnie the pooh, King of the Elves). And there is that two year gap between Winnie the Pooh and King of the Elves, so that would give extra time for finishing The Snow Queen, but I was actually looking forward to King of the Elves, since it sounds like something different. Yet I wouldn't object to Snow Queen :P!
Margos
Anniversary Edition

Post by Margos »

Really, toonaspie!? I mean, I'm looking forward to "King of the Elves," but "The Snow Queen" seems much more interesting! So if that's true.... That could be great! As long as the halting isn't indefinite. They need to do it sometime!

And yeah, Scaps, I did mean songs sung by characters.... But I have a feeling that if it's supposed to be an "epic" feel, it would follow TP more than PP, RH or "Mulan." Now TP is one of my favorite Disney movies, and "I'm Still Here" is a great song! But... a musical adventure, now that I would love to see. Obviously, it wouldn't have worked well with TP (can you imagine Jim and Silver breaking into song!? :P ), but hey, this could be different.
http://dragonsbane.webs.com
http://childrenofnight.webs.com

^My websites promoting my two WIP novels! Check them out for exclusive content!
Neal
Anniversary Edition

Post by Neal »

Here's what we know:

Rapunzel - behind schedule, animators will begin working 6 or 7 days a week to get it out on time for its definite 2010 release.

Pooh - ahead of schedule. The film will be complete with plenty of time to spare before its 2011 release.

King of the Elves - in a re-tooling stage. It is not sure if it will make its 2012 release.

Snow Queen - just entering production - was planned for 2013.

Basically, depending upon which gets done first is if we will see Snow Queen or King of the elves first. Either one could be 2012, it all depends upon which is completed first.

Joe Jump is set at 2014.
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

If this is true, then the 3d, 2D pattern could be screwed up and not going to be followed.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
Neal
Anniversary Edition

Post by Neal »

Eh, as long as both films do come out - I'm not too concerned about a swap.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

As long as the film isn't being canceled, then I'm all for switching up the schedule if need be. Remember, Home on the Range was supposed to come out before Brother Bear- it's not the first time that the schedules have been switched!
Neal
Anniversary Edition

Post by Neal »

Yeah, schedule switches happen all the time.

I'd rather have quality than a consistent 2D/CGI swap.
toonaspie
Anniversary Edition

Post by toonaspie »

Well I havent been able to find the thread about the production in, although it was somewhere in an IMDb, which can barely considered credible. Though if a delay in production really is the case, I wouldn't be surprised if the hype behind bringing back 2D animation had a little something to do with it.

I do agree, that keeping up with deadlines isnt as important as making sure the film is good and ready before a release.
Neal
Anniversary Edition

Post by Neal »

The production issues are noted on both the TAG Blog and BlueSky Disney.

Also, earlier someone asked if their was going to be any songs - while it's not a musical, keep in mind only three Disney films (besides the Fantasias) haven't had any original song written for it - either to be sung, or played during the film/credits:

The Black Cauldron
The Rescuers Down Under
Dinosaur

So I say the chances are pretty high there will at least be a song for the credits.
Margos
Anniversary Edition

Post by Margos »

Aww... well a credit song doesn't really count, IMO.

Neal
Anniversary Edition

Post by Neal »

Do you consider songs played during the film that no characters sing (just an overlay)? Such as the songs in "BOLT" or "Brother Bear"?
Last edited by Neal on Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Margos
Anniversary Edition

Post by Margos »

Yeah, I do.... I don't know, it seems fairly arbitrary, but, to me, during the end credits, the movie is already over. I still sit and watch them, but any songs that play don't really count as "songs from the movie" to me.

estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Neal wrote:Do you consider songs played during the film that no characters sing (just an overlay)? Such as the songs in "BOLT" or "The Emperor's New Grove"?
"Perfect World" wasn't sung by an on-screen character? :?
Margos
Anniversary Edition

Post by Margos »

Actually, it was sung by Kuzco's "Theme Song Guy."

estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

I know. Hence my confusion at his assessment that The Emperor's New Groove had no songs sung by on-screen characters.
Neal
Anniversary Edition

Post by Neal »

Okay, well it's hard to know what they'll do with this film - it's a fantasy, which they don't have many of (I consider fairy tales separately):

Alice in Wonderland
Peter Pan
The Sword in the Stone
The Black Cauldron

It's also an adventure/"journey" film, which Disney is not known for:

Dinosaur
Atlantis: The Lost Empire
Treasure Planet

This film is modern and very different from anything Disney has done before, as its a fantasy set on modern day earth - not another world or time period.

It also stars Disney's oldest protagonist besides Carl in "Up. Shadrach Jones is nearing retirement age, and is a gas station attendant who takes in some elves and when their king dies, he becomes king.

They want him to wage war against their enemies - the trolls and

SPOILER

the king of the trolls turns out to be his neighbor and best friend, Phineas.

This film doesn't seem like it'd lend itself to song overlays or any songs sung by characters. But Disney has surprised us, and Disney may severely alter the story from the original.
Brer Brandon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Brer Brandon »

Neal
Anniversary Edition

Post by Neal »

Ha, the fourth quote in that article is mine! 8)
Babaloo
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Babaloo »

Neal wrote:Ha, the fourth quote in that article is mine! 8)
That's right! Represent the UD community! Represent! lol :P

I don't remember where I read this, but I heard they didn't stop this project but just move it to a later date. I would rather them take time with this to make as good as they can. But for some reason I sort of expected them to push back the project or shelve it because there wasn't much about it. Maybe that was because it was planned for a 2012 release, but I knew nothing about this at all.