Frankenweenie (2012)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
REINIER
Anniversary Edition

Frankenweenie (2012)

Post by REINIER »

hi there, recently stumbled upon this ''rumormill'' that states that tim burton is set to direct a full length feature of his previous short
frankenweenie?

He is also working on another animation project (3d) called nine!

I knw this is a project he has postponed for like forever, but this time around it might just be realised.
When it comes to brains, I got the lion-share,
but when it comes to bruth strength, I'm afraid I'm at the shallow end of the gene pool
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

Well the rumour that Tim Burton will make a stop motion remake of Frankenweenie is interesting.

Can't say I'm exactly thrilled about it though. The original Frankenweenie is incredibly charming, but the story isn't strong enough without major plot additions to stretch out to make it feature length. Some serious rewriting would be needed. Also one of the best things in my view about Frankenweenie is the fact that it was filmed in Black and White. This added so much to the film in my opinion. Recreating the forgotton age of syrupy TV families and innocence and to be honest I think if the remake was in colour it would detract from the premise.

Although a modern day feature length animated film in black and white would certainly be interesting.
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

I bet ironic that in part, Frankenweenie contributed to Burton leaving Disney in the 1st place (it was too "inappropriate" for the Disney audience and they didn't know what to do with it) and now they not only want Burton back, but want him to remake said short.
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
littlefuzzy
Anniversary Edition

Post by littlefuzzy »

Frankenweenie worked perfectly as a short, in black and white, and with Shelley Duvall as the mom!
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Re: tim burton to direct ''frankenweenie''?

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

REINIER wrote:He is also working on another animation project (3d) called nine!
Not a bad word about Tim Burton, but that would be to give him a little to much credit. He is simply the producer of the movie called 9. The movie is directed by Shane Acker, who also did the short (if you havn't seen it on YouTube yet, you should), and written by Acker and Pamela Pettler.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

http://community.livejournal.com/ohnoth ... 83662.html
(their source was scifiwire.com)

One of the last tasks of former Walt Disney Co. chairman Dick Cook was to announce the stop-motion-animated, feature-length remake of Tim Burton's first live-action short, Frankenweenie, at the D23 Fan Expo on Sept. 11, and several details were revealed about the much-anticipated project.

In the short, a boy re-animates his dead dog a la Frankenstein, only to see his beloved pet rejected and persecuted by an angry mob. Now that Burton has graduated to literary remakes and musicals, a feature-length Frankenweenie will be a nice throwback to classic Burton.

In a press conference and subsequent exclusive interview at D23, we got Frankenweenie producer Don Hahn to reveal several key details:

1) It's black and white. Burton's short was shot in black and white, like the original Frankenstein movies. Shooting a cartoon for wide release without color must have been a tougher sell. "It was and it wasn't," Hahn said. "I think now, with Tim working at the top of his craft, the top of his game, on movies like Alice in Wonderland, I think Dick Cook really felt like if you're going to take a risk on anybody, why can't it be Tim Burton? A Tim Burton movie in black and white based on Frankenstein, how cool is that? Dick was very supportive of it." [It's unclear Cook's abrupt departure on Friday will affect the movie.]

2) The new script has more Frankenstein and more dog. At 30 minutes long, the original Frankenweenie barely covered the re-animation and angry mob elements of the Frankenstein legends. Hahn told the press conference that the expanded script is complete. "It's Frankenstein mixed with a boy-and-his-dog story, very much like the original one," Hahn said in an exclusive interview after the conference. "What's great is Tim grew up in Southern California, in Burbank, and the movie itself kind of takes that California suburban look at a monster movie story. I think that's what we're trying to do."

3) The Frankenstein family tree is growing. With the expanded script come more characters. The original short starred Barret Oliver as Victor Frankenstein and Daniel Stern and Shelley Duvall as his parents, Ben and Susan. Paul Bartel, Sofia Coppola and Jason Hervey played some of the neighbors. "There are a lot of great new characters in it, really great new characters," Hahn said in our exclusive interview. "It's the ensemble. It's the Tim Burton ensemble." Most of the original actors are still with us and could reprise their roles, but Hahn said it's too early for voice casting. Could Johnny Depp make an appearance? "The neat thing about Tim is he can pretty much call up anybody he needs and they'll be happy to work with him," Hahn said.

4) Now Tim Burton can do what he wants. Burton actually got fired from Disney for making the original Frankenweenie. The studio thought it was too scary for children. Only after his success at Warner Brothers did Disney realize there was a market for his work. Now they're clamoring for Burton, who is directing and designing the stop-motion puppets. "Unlike Tim's recent stop-motion movies, he's designing the characters himself," Hahn said in our exclusive interview. "So you really get kind of the hand of the artist in it and get to see Tim's work itself. It's Tim Burton at his best. I think that's why he leapt at it, because when he started out making movies, it was his first choice for a live-action movie. I think he felt like, 'Gee, I wish I could've made a feature back then.' So now to come back and revisit the material is pretty fun for him, I think."

5) They've already started. Cook just announced a 2011 release for Frankenweenie. That's not much time to animate 90 minutes of film frame by frame, although they can get away with 70 or less. "I'm not sure it's a 90-minute film," Hahn said. Burton and his team have already built maquettes. "We're underway on it, and I think the most important thing is it has to be a good movie," Hahn said. "So if it's not ready for 2011, then we'll let it drift into the next year, but we're up and running already." Production is underway in London, where Burton did The Corpse Bride. "The primary reason to go there is Tim lives there, and there's a great group of talent over there also that is really into stop-motion animation," Hahn said.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

This makes me wonder if Walt Disney Animation Studios might ever tackle stop-motion animation again.

They do traditional hand-drawn animation. They do CG animation. And they've done stop-motion with Noah's Ark, and Tim Burton's Vincent and some segments of A Symposium on Popular Songs.

And let's not forget that Walt Disney Animation Studios was somewhat involved in the production of The Nightmare Before Christmas. Of course, that movie was officially produced by Skellington Productions, but the latter was apparently none other than a sub-division of then Walt Disney Feature Animation (somebody please correct me if I'm wrong).

In the end this makes one wonder whether Nightmare and/or James and the Giant Peach should be considered WDAS productions.
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

I can't wait for Frankenweenie now that I've heard more about it!

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
goofystitch
Collector's Edition

Post by goofystitch »

If they wanted to capture the Hannah Montana generation, they could rename it Frankentweenie. Just a thought.
blackcauldron85

Margos
Anniversary Edition

Post by Margos »

I am sooo excited for this film, already! I wish there was more stop-motion in Disney, and this was a pretty good short film. I'm sure it'll make an even better feature film, although I can't help but picture stop-motion Victor as a younger version of Victor from "Corpse Bride."
http://dragonsbane.webs.com
http://childrenofnight.webs.com

^My websites promoting my two WIP novels! Check them out for exclusive content!
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Am I then only one who found the short to be slightly disturbing?
Margos
Anniversary Edition

Post by Margos »

ajmrowland wrote:Am I then only one who found the short to be slightly disturbing?
The mutant Sparky is still so cute, though! :D

ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Oh, yeah, but there are moments, like when he drinks the water. Or, more importantly, when he dies and comes back to life......with stitches. :P
Margos
Anniversary Edition

Post by Margos »

Well, yeah... the water thing was a little odd. Plus, it made me wonder if he would smell kinda funny, I mean... he was dead for a few days, right? And, I mean, some of his fur looked like it came from other pelts.... how on earth did Victor get skin from other dogs?

Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Exclusive: Don Hahn on His Disney Animation 3D Projects
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=64300
Other than the Beauty and the Beast conversion and the upcoming Disneynature film Oceans, Hahn has been actively involved with producing Tim Burton's next stop-motion animated film Frankenweenie, also planned for release in 2011. As had been mentioned when the project was first announced, it will also be in 3D, although they still haven't decided how much of it will be filmed in 3D (as Henry Selick did with Coraline) and how much will be converted after the fact (like with Burton's blockbuster hit Alice in Wonderland).
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
littlefuzzy
Anniversary Edition

Post by littlefuzzy »

The dog Beck from the anime BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad reminds me of Frankenweenie:

Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Exclusive: Don Hahn is Waking Sleeping Beauty
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=64414
CS: Are you yourself thinking of going back to doing more animated projects or have you moved onto doing docs and the nature films?

Hahn: I am not in animation on a daily basis anymore. The only animated film I'm working on is "Frankenweenie" with Tim Burton. We're doing that as a stop motion movie that's coming out next year. So I love animation and still am involved, but I guess I was interested in doing something a little bit different and trying a different medium and trying to just try a different look. I had done plenty of hand-drawn movies. I just want to try something different. The chance to work with Tim again is pretty fun.

CS: Are you guys filming that in 3D or is that going to be converted to 3D afterwards? Do you have any idea yet?

Hahn: I don't, I don't. We're debating that right now. It will be in 3D though.

CS: I was curious about that, because when Henry Selick did "Coraline," he actually used a 3D camera system to shoot stop-motion.

Hahn: Yeah, it's amazing.

CS: Are you guys actually making that at the Disney Studios?

Hahn: We're doing it in London. Yeah, that's where we're writing it and directing it and so we want to be close to Tim.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
blackcauldron85

Disney sets 'Frankenweenie,' 'John Carter of Mars' release dates
http://www.laughingplace.com/Latest-ID-75163.asp
blackcauldron85