Walt Disney Treasures Wave IX Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Cordy_Biddle
Anniversary Edition

Post by Cordy_Biddle »

Escapay wrote:
ajmrowland wrote:Good for you! Now you won't be able to watch them! :roll:
I had no idea that laying a DVD down onto a bedspread for 30 seconds to take a picture makes them unplayable.

:brick:

albert
Gawd, someone's being either incredibly sarcastic or incredibly anal... :roll: If laying a DVD onto a soft bedspread was so damaging, I'd hate for you to receive a DVD in the mail where the disc had become dislodged and all scratched up by the time it arrived.
I'm just valentine candy and boxing-gloves!

My DVD Collection :
http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

Oddly enough, when I ordered the Ultimate Superman Collection in 2006, the 14th disc (Bryan Singer's Video Journals) was loose and so it was a bit scratched up. But it played fine! :lol:

I wonder what happens if I lay a DVD label-side-down on the bedspread. Would it cause it to suddenly look ugly and faded?

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
goofystitch
Collector's Edition

Post by goofystitch »

Escapay wrote:I wonder what happens if I lay a DVD label-side-down on the bedspread. Would it cause it to suddenly look ugly and faded?
I just tried it with my Platinum Edition of Beauty and the Beast. I took disc one and placed a Kleenex brand tissue against the bottom ever so gently. Then I put it in my DVD player and you know what? I think that all of the people who say it looks like a Hannah Barbara cartoon probably had a Kleenex touch their disc too, because that's what it looked like. It didn't look that when I watched it in July before the gentle piece of tissue touched the bottom.

Just for kicks, I rubbed a cheese grader against the bottom of The Boatniks and I couldn't tell a difference between before and after. Go figure!
I'm currently watching and reviewing every Disney film in chronological order. You can follow along at my blog, The Disney Films, and also follow me on Twitter.
Margos
Anniversary Edition

Post by Margos »

rotfl
http://dragonsbane.webs.com
http://childrenofnight.webs.com

^My websites promoting my two WIP novels! Check them out for exclusive content!
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

goofystitch wrote:Just for kicks, I rubbed a cheese grader against the bottom of The Boatniks and I couldn't tell a difference between before and after. Go figure!
I did a similar experimant where I took an eraser to The Haunted Mansion with the hopes of erasing Eddie Murphy. Unfortunately he's there for Evers and Evers. :wink:
NarniaDis
Special Edition

Post by NarniaDis »

Barbossa wrote:
goofystitch wrote:Just for kicks, I rubbed a cheese grader against the bottom of The Boatniks and I couldn't tell a difference between before and after. Go figure!
I did a similar experimant where I took an eraser to The Haunted Mansion with the hopes of erasing Eddie Murphy. Unfortunately he's there for Evers and Evers. :wink:
:lol: this made my night, thanks guys!
Im a riding on cloud Nine.
a-net-fan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by a-net-fan »

Got my sets today. Undented and looking great. Awesome presentation! Cant wait to watch!
JUST ANOTHER 27 YEAR OLD DISNEY BUFF.....
Mason_Ireton
Banned

Post by Mason_Ireton »

Already on Disc 3 of Season 1 and the series is amazing, Walt pulled out all the stops when it came to TV, really knew how to excite the audience.
bcotter

Some thoughts on the Zorro DVDs

Post by bcotter »

Please visit http://www.billcotter.com/zorro/dvd-treasures.htm for a look at the DVD contents and some thoughts on them.

Regards

Bill
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Thanks for the link, Bill. I was especially intrigued by this:
  • A few fans have written to ask why there isn't more in the way of supplemental materials. For example, why didn't Disney include the original commercials, or copies of public service announcements Guy did as Zorro? Or a collection of still photographs, or copies of press kits, etc? The answer, as you might imagine, is a combination of money and time, or more precisely, the lack of. Some things that seem simple are often complicated. Take the original commercials, for example. Although some of them, such as the 7-Up and AC Delco ads, might have been produced for Disney, they were done under contract for the original advertisers. Who owns the rights, then? Did the original voce-over contracts allow for use on DVDs? Obviously DVDs didn't exist then and all that would need to be sorted out. That would all take time and money, and to be fair to Disney, would it help sell the additional number of DVDs required to break even on the expense? I really doubt it.
It really puts some perspective into the whole point of Treasures releases, which is to get the content out there. The special features really are just icing on the cake (which unfortunately seems to get smaller and smaller each year :( ). So while I'm upset that the Sing-Along song version of the Zorro thee isn't there (with a Masked-Mickey-The-Bouncing-Ball), I'm glad for the special features that *are* present.

albert
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
goofystitch
Collector's Edition

Post by goofystitch »

I don't count the third season as bonus features even though Disney does, but the first thing I did when I got my set was watch the three new featurettes and the clip from the anniversary show. I felt the newly made bonus features were well done and of a decent length too. I mean, there is always more that they can do with any release, but I think they gave Zorro fans a nice batch of extras. We're lucky to even have them. Every studio except Disney has stopped making bonus features for older content.
I'm currently watching and reviewing every Disney film in chronological order. You can follow along at my blog, The Disney Films, and also follow me on Twitter.
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

So with 30,000 editions available of each season, how long until these will be sold out do you guys think?

I'm up to episode 12 now. Good show.
blaing
Special Edition

Post by blaing »

My guess, it'll be all sold out before Christmas.
Doctor Syn

Post by Doctor Syn »

blaing wrote:My guess, it'll be all sold out before Christmas.
They are starting to sell out now. What were they out less than a week? Get Zorro while you are able before prices go crazy. :o
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

Here's a question, which episodes made up The Sign of Zorro and what year did it come out? UD has it listed as 1960 but IMDB has 1958 listed.
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

It was released overseas in 1958, but not released to the US until 1960. Wikipedia says it's from episodes with the Monastario storyline.

Zorro, the Avenger was based on the end of the Eagle storyline and was released overseas in 1959.

albert
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

I was just thinking about those Zorro lithographs Disney offered thru DMR earlier this year to promote Wave IX. Were they the same as the ones that came in the tins or were they different?
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Our review of "Zorro": Season 2 is up: http://www.ultimatedisney.com/zorro-season2.html

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Darby
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Darby »

Just finished discs 1 and 2 on Season One and disc 1 on Season Two and I am absolutely beaming. The restoration job is top-notch and any true Zorro fan will think he or she has died and gone to Heaven, ar at least the Pueblo de Los Angeles.

Bravo Disney on a job well done on these Treasures sets!

Darby
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

I am currently on disc two and so far I think it's a pretty good series. I remember watching a few episodes when they aired on Vault Disney. It might take me a while to finish both sets as I am very busy with work and college.