HP 5 Discussion

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Prince Phillip
Anniversary Edition

HP 5 Discussion

Post by Prince Phillip »

DO NOT CONTINUE IF YOU HAVE NOT READ THE ENTIRE BOOK AS WE WILL BE DISCUSSING IT IN DETAIL... THIS IS TO PROTECT YOU FROM SPOILS TO THE STORY YOU MAY NOT HAVE READ YET AND TOO KEEP OUR CONVERSATIONS ON HP: ORDER OF THE PHEONIX. PLEASE ONLY JOIN IF YOU ARE A SERIOUS FAN OR REALLY WANT TO DISCUSS THE BOOK. THANK YOU.

I will write my own thoughts on the book later, write now I have to take a break...

Please start discussing.

If you need something to discuss, how about the different characters you thought would die and how[they would] and how you felt about each. How did you feel when it was Sirius.
Prince Adam
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Adam »

I was really disappointed that it was Sirius who died-I was hoping it would be someone else. Harry was so distraught when Sirius died (who wouldn't be?), but it just didn't seem that the two of them had a very close relationship. I mean, they hardly knew each other! Now if it had been Hagrid who died...I thought Hagrid was a definite father figure to Harry, and to have that taken away would be really hard. I think Harry has a better relationship with Hagrid than with anyone else (besides Ron and Hermione).
Defy Gravity...
MickeyMouseboy
Platinum Edition

Post by MickeyMouseboy »

so how did harry meet sirius?
Prince Adam
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Adam »

Remember in "Prisoner of Azkaban" Sirius was convicted murderer, and Harry thought he'd betrayed his parents? But then the two of them had everything solved by Professor Lupin, and Harry found out that Sirius was his godfather.
Defy Gravity...
Prince Phillip
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Phillip »

Well, I thought that it was going to be Neville that died, the majority of the book. I thought he was going to die trying to save Harry, and that I think would have been incredibly sad, considering all that Neville has gone through with his parents and upbringing and such. I thought the saddest part of the book was at Christmas, when Harry and the gang saw Neville at the hospital with his parents.

Later I thought it would be Minerva (can't spell her last name) when the ministry workers attacked her, and shot 4 stun spells at her. I thought that would have been sad.

Then I thought possably Hermione, when she was trying to help Harry in Umbrige's office and she was fake crying. And again when the light hit her.

I maintained thinking it would be Neville as he kept joining Harry as back up, at the ministry.

At times I thought it might have been Hagrid. I thought there was going to be an accident with Grawp, but this didn't sadden me like the rest.

I hate to say this, but it was kind of a relife when Sirius died. I thought he was a cool character in books 3 and 4, but in 5 he was a little annoying, that that he deserved to die, but I didn't think it was all that sad.

I'm glad Dumbledore and the rest are still around, although now that Dumbledore has told Harry pretty much all he needs to know there is no gaurentee that he will survive either of the next two books. And I hope that Minerva keeps her word and helps Harry become an Auror, if he survives...
Prince Adam
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Adam »

I'm really glad Hermione didn't die-she's one of Harry's best friends, and her death would greatly affect him. He needs her to be with him-without her, he'd be in big trouble in more ways than one. He needs her to help defeat Voldemort, but also as moral support in everything else he does. And, I think they really like eachother-isn't it strange how all Hermione had to do was ask to get Harry to do an interview with Rita Skeeter?
Defy Gravity...
poco
Special Edition

Post by poco »

What I thought was interesting was that Neville could have been the "chosen one" because of the prophet angle near the end of the book. I wouldn't be very surprised if somehow Neville and Harry teamed up in the next couple of books in order to kill "he who must not be named"
"I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living." -- Dr. Seuss
Prince Phillip
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Phillip »

JK Rowling has hinted several times in interviews and such, that Harry might die. While looking at it in a probable point of view, this is highly unlikely, but it would be cool if Harry was killed by Voldermort and Neville had to step up to the plate and full fill the prophacey.

However, I think it is more likely that Neville will die heroically. I wouldn't mind seeing that, I mean it would be invredibly sad if he did die, but then he would be down in Wizard history as a brave heroic wizard, and his Grandma would suddenly see him as, as great as his father.

I really, really do NOT want to see Harry and Hermione get together. I have been afraid since the first book that, that was going to happen, although now it really looks as if that connection is happening between Ron and Hermione. (Personally I think when we(harry) find out about them it will be because Harry(we) walk in on them, not because they tell Harry that they are together.)

I really HATE Umbridge and Fudge! By the way, why wasn't Umbridge catred off to Azkaban, where she belongs? She sent those Dementors after Harry and tried to perform one of the unspeakable (illegal) curses. Oh well... It's not like she would have stayed there any way I guess.

Oh and I forgot, I though for a moment that Snape would have gotten it, I would have felt really sad if this had happened. I like Snape, I think he really is a good guy, but is he is human and is a bit bitter sometimes. But any way even if he wasn't, he couldn't suddenly be nice to Potter as that would attract Malfoy's attention, and eventually Voldermort's.

I'm glad Fred and George's joke shop is working out.
poco
Special Edition

Post by poco »

One character I cannot figure out is Snape. His character can go either way and I worry for Harry sometimes being in his presence. Snape could change and go back and Harry knows this so he doesn't trust. Smart in my book. I could see Snape finally being the DADA teacher in the last book!!! Which way he goes only Rowling knows!!!
"I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living." -- Dr. Seuss
Prince Phillip
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Phillip »

Yeah hey that's true! I never thought of that, well I have but maybe in the next book, Harry will have ...Oh never mind. I thought Harry was giving up potions to be rid of Snape, I was going to say maybe he will not be so lucky and have hime for DADA, but then I remembered Harry has to keep potions to become an Auror, and it is possible Snape could turn out to be a double agent but I hope not. That could just be the great writing style of Ms. Rowling to keep us guessing!

Also Grawp at the end didn't seem like such a bad guy, I wonder if he is going to play his part yet in the war with Voldemort!!
Matty-Mouse
Special Edition

Post by Matty-Mouse »

Ron and Hermione will be together!
As for Sirius dieing I too wasn't very upset, I like him but he was never one of my favourite characters. I think that if there's a death in book six it will be a REALLY bad death (Hagrid, one of the Weasley Parents or Lupin) I don't know why I just get that feeling.

As for if it had been Hermione that had died then Harry wouldn't get half of the stuff he's done, done. In book one she told him how to get past the potions room, In book 2 she told him and Ron what the monster was and how it was getting around the school. In book 3 they used her time turner to rescue Sirius and Buckbeak. In book 4 she helped him get through the trails and in book 5 she helped him escape Umbridges office. If there wasn't Hermione Harry would be stuck!
Dust? Anyone? No?
Dust? Anyone? No?
Dust? Anyone? No?

Well thats actually low in fat so you can eat as much of that as you like.
poco
Special Edition

Post by poco »

Do you think Harry could ever reach the level of Auror? Herm sounds like she would be a better one. As for OWLS, i wonder how Harry did. that last test he just "freaked out"
Paka
Anniversary Edition

Post by Paka »

Alright, Phil - you've done this twice, and it's starting to annoy me. It's spelled Phoenix, okay? Sorry - I'm really anal about spelling, and besides, ya'd think one would know how to spell the title since it's been pasted all over media for the past few weeks. :wink:
Just make it a priority - if you know how to spell Maleficent, then you can spell phoenix and McGonagall easily. LOL

Anywho, I myself don't know exactly what happened to Sirius. I'd really like to find out what that archway is at the DoM. Maybe it's as simple as a "Realm of the Dead" kinda thing, but I dunno. In any case, I don't believe anyone still breathing could walk through it without harm, so it's off-limits to physical exploration, probably.
But that also makes me wonder if Harry will die by the end of the series. Three major clues point to this - 1) Even with the "killer or victim" end that the prophesy stated for Harry, there are still 2 potential boys - Neville and Harry. As Phil said, maybe Harry will die in a final showdown with Voldemort, and then Neville, the real Chosen One, will (truly) kill the Dark Lord.
2) Now that Sirius has been killed (supposedly), those that Harry cares about the most will be "on the other side". His parents being dead is one thing, but now his godfather, too. And since the thing Harry desires most is family, if he died and met up with them, it would be more of a bittersweet ending that way.
3) We also know that Rowling has said time and time again in interviews, when asked about writing more beyond book 7, that we should wait and see whether Harry even lives beyond the seventh book. That, and she has already written the last chapter of book 7, which has been described as an epilogue - a summary of all the characters and plots and whatnot. So... this is a postscript to what, I wonder?

Now, I know that Rowling has the HP storyline set in stone, but I wonder what the backlash would be like if Harry died. I've heard or read a fair amount of negative reaction so far for the fifth book alone - many think it's a great read, but a good chunk of people were disappointed by it in one way or another - most finding the darker tone distasteful. If Rowling killed her star, would that - not be dramatic - but would that, perhaps, kill her series? Will people think of HP as "great for the first few books", or will their acceptance of the darker ones even out with time?

So many questions remain, obivously. Only two books to go, now. Get that computer fired up, Rowling!! :D
Life often leaves us standing bare, naked and dejected with a lost opportunity. Over the bleached bones and jumbled residues of numerous civilizations are written the pathetic words: "Too late."

~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Matty-Mouse
Special Edition

Post by Matty-Mouse »

I think it would be better if Harry did die in book seven. I don't want a "After Harry left hogwarts he went and became minster of magic and had three children with Ginny and they lived happily ever after, visiting Ron and Hermione for sunday lunch every weekend". Apart from a death I don't think theres a more powerful, emotional way to end the series.
Dust? Anyone? No?
Dust? Anyone? No?
Dust? Anyone? No?

Well thats actually low in fat so you can eat as much of that as you like.
Satoshi
Special Edition

Post by Satoshi »

I loved the darker tone. Some parts of the story weren't too great in my opinion, but the darker tone just made the whole book better for me. I thought Sirius's death was a bit sudden but I wasn't sad about it because Sirius had been a jerk in the rest of the book. I'm just glad Dumbledore wasn't the one to die.

I would say that Harry is going to die in the last chapter of book seven when he kills Voldemort (he's going to sacrifice himself to kill Voldemort), and then have an epilogue stating what happened to all of the other characters, but that would mean that Harry would never become an auror so I really have no idea.
Prince Phillip
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Phillip »

Yes the tone was not a happy one, but this is no longer for children, as Harry matures, so do the books, the series has become a teen series and will have that mood to it.
Also didn't any of you hear Sam's speach at the end of Two Towers about how any story worth telling, has those dark periods that you just don't want to live/read through, but you have to because in the end everything will work out. Well I believe we kinda just read through 1 of those times.

:oops: Oh and sorry Paka, I am a terrible speller. Be warned for when you read my posts :wink: . :lol: .
jabroni76
Special Edition

Post by jabroni76 »

Well, here is my take on the book. It was good, but it was bad.

The reason I say this is because while the story was entertaining and suspensing, it lacked something new. What I'm saying is that the first book the following happens:
  • Something happens to harry at the Dursleys
  • Harry goes to school. Something happens there
  • Harry play's hero
  • book ends
the same goes with the next books in the story. And you know that from books 1-6 that harry will NOT die, so... Well, you get the point...
Prince Phillip
Anniversary Edition

Lupin!!!

Post by Prince Phillip »

I really like Lupin! I thought a lot of people liked him. I really want to see more of him. I realize that Sirius was Harry's Godfather, as well as his father's bestfriend, but, Lupin was also one of his dad's bestfriends. How come Harry doesn't turn to Lupin the same way he does Sirius, after all, Harry does know Lupin better, and Lupin appeared to be somewhat of a father figure to Harry in book 3, more so than Sirius has ever. I look forward to POA next summer, because of Lupin. I hope Harry kind of turns to Lupin in book 6, because he is not alone and I am sure Lupin would jump at the chance to take in Harry.

I also like Tonks, and think the name Nymphadora is cool. I think it would be cool if she was next year's DADA teacher, that is if it isn't Snape or Lupin.

I don't think we've seen the last of Umbridge.

Does anyone else think that Fugde wasn't just turning a blind eye to Voldemorts return? I think he whad a pretty good idea he was back. Well I guess we will see how things unravel...
Prince Phillip
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Phillip »

Oh... and Jabroni, some people like the familiarity of the plot structure. It is nice to have change, but it is also nice to have something you can always rely on :) .
jabroni76
Special Edition

Post by jabroni76 »

^^^

I guess... but doesn't it sort of suck knowing basically what will happen throughout the book before you read it?