Beauty And The Beast: Diamond Edition Discussion Oct. 5th!

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Rudy Matt
Special Edition

Post by Rudy Matt »

goofystitch wrote:Another thing to remember about films like Pinocchio that were filmed in fullscreen is that on Blu-Ray, the black bars are letterboxed onto the film. Blu-Ray can't output fullscreen.
I'm not sure that's correct.

"Mars and Beyond" on Blu-Ray is 4:3 and it plays in 4:3 on a 4:3 TV if your system is setup accurately. You just have to tell your blu-ray player what kind of TV you have.

Before I owned an HDTV, I had my BR player hooked up to a 4:3 set and watched Blu-Rays shots in 4:3, and played "Mars and Beyond", and never had an issue.
goofystitch
Collector's Edition

Post by goofystitch »

Rudy Matt wrote:
goofystitch wrote:Another thing to remember about films like Pinocchio that were filmed in fullscreen is that on Blu-Ray, the black bars are letterboxed onto the film. Blu-Ray can't output fullscreen.

"Mars and Beyond" on Blu-Ray is 4:3 and it plays in 4:3 on a 4:3 TV if your system is setup accurately. You just have to tell your blu-ray player what kind of TV you have.

Before I owned an HDTV, I had my BR player hooked up to a 4:3 set and watched Blu-Rays shots in 4:3, and played "Mars and Beyond", and never had an issue.
Well, I did get my info from a forum member on Blu-Ray.com. lol.

However, it is weird to me how SD bonus features on Warner Bros. releases that were filmed in fullscreen get stretched to fill the screen, yet Disney's SD fullscreen features get letterboxed. Maybe it's how they encode them or something?
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

Matt wrote:@ jpanimation, I know you didn't say that lol. I said I agree with what you said and then I put what I felt with the re-release.
Sorry, somethings must be wrong with me as thats the second misunderstanding I've made today :brick:
Rudy Matt wrote:

Actually, I have both a 4:3 Rear Projector HDTV and a 16:9 LCD HDTV. I've watched Casablanca, The Day the Earth Stood Still, Pinocchio, and Snow White on the Rear Projector and Blu puts bars on all sides :wink:

I've got my Panasonic BD-35 set to 4:3 and it still boxes the whole thing. What's worse, you can only zoom on DVDs, it won't let you on Blu. This is why I usually watch my 4:3 stuff on the LCD as I'd rather just see the pillar boxes and not the whole damn thing boxed in. Maybe you just bought a top-of-the-line player that has that as a special feature as I'm sure mine doesn't.
Rudy Matt
Special Edition

Post by Rudy Matt »

*sigh*.....Ultimate Disney servers are taking their sweet time tonight. See below.
Last edited by Rudy Matt on Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rudy Matt
Special Edition

Post by Rudy Matt »

Actually, I have both a 4:3 Rear Projector HDTV and a 16:9 LCD HDTV. I've watched Casablanca, The Day the Earth Stood Still, Pinocchio, and Snow White on the Rear Projector and Blu puts bars on all sides :wink:

I've got my Panasonic BD-35 set to 4:3 and it still boxes the whole thing. What's worse, you can only zoom on DVDs, it won't let you on Blu. This is why I usually watch my 4:3 stuff on the LCD as I'd rather just see the pillar boxes and not the whole damn thing boxed in. Maybe you just bought a top-of-the-line player that has that as a special feature as I'm sure mine doesn't.
How are you outputting? Your 4:3 HDTV obviously isn't HDMI, as something like that predates HDMI. My old set took S-VHS and component. How are you taking the Blu-Ray signal?
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

Rudy Matt wrote:How are you outputting? Your 4:3 HDTV obviously isn't HDMI, as something like that predates HDMI. My old set took S-VHS and component. How are you taking the Blu-Ray signal?
My 4:3 Rear Projector is using component cables and my 16:9 LCD is using HDMI.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

What's with the date confirmation on the thread title!?
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Thanks for posting the trailers, Matt! :thumb:
Rudy Matt
Special Edition

Post by Rudy Matt »

I own a Sony BDP

Go to System Menu on your remote control. Press it.

Choose "Setup"

First option is "TV Type"

Your options are "16:9" or "4:3". Select "4:3"

Problem solved.

:roll:
CampbellzSoup
Anniversary Edition

Post by CampbellzSoup »

Yeah they're always under TV options on your television the Blu Ray's aren't doing this.
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

Julian Carter wrote:What's with the date confirmation on the thread title!?
Yeah, where was it officially confirmed? Link please.
Rudy Matt wrote:I own a Sony BDP

Go to System Menu on your remote control. Press it.

Choose "Setup"

First option is "TV Type"

Your options are "16:9" or "4:3". Select "4:3"

Problem solved.

:roll:
My options are 4:3 Pan&Scan, 4:3 Letterbox, 16:9 Widescreen or 16:9 Full. I've had it set to 4:3 Letterbox since day one. If I choose any of the 16:9 options, it just gets rid of the letterboxing but leaves the pillaroxing, stretching the picture vertically. I'm pretty sure its on the right setting.
CampbellzSoup wrote:Yeah they're always under TV options on your television the Blu Ray's aren't doing this.
Really, I'll have to check that out. Its just crazy that my DirecTV HD box allows zooming on 4:3 material, but my Blu player doesn't, so if my TV would do that for me that would be awesome. Watching 4:3 stuff on a 4:3 HDTV, no pillarboxing, sounds great!
goofystitch
Collector's Edition

Post by goofystitch »

I don't know how official it is, but Blu-Ray.com has Beauty and the Beast on their release calendar for October 5th, 2010.

They also have Fantasia and Fantasia 2000 listed as separate releases coming May 4th.
geniuswalt
Gold Classic Collection

Post by geniuswalt »

The fact that Fantasia and Fantasia 2000 are being released in May (an unusual time for such important titles) makes me think that a few months later (holiday 2010) Disney is going to pack them both in a super spiffy deluxe edition to milk more money out of us.
JDCB1986
Gold Classic Collection

Post by JDCB1986 »

geniuswalt wrote:The fact that Fantasia and Fantasia 2000 are being released in May (an unusual time for such important titles) makes me think that a few months later (holiday 2010) Disney is going to pack them both in a super spiffy deluxe edition to milk more money out of us.
I was thinking, they will probably release Fantasia/Fantasia 2000 the way they released the Aladdin sequels. Each in it's own case, but packaged together.
Rudy Matt
Special Edition

Post by Rudy Matt »

goofystitch wrote:

Well, I did get my info from a forum member on Blu-Ray.com. lol.

However, it is weird to me how SD bonus features on Warner Bros. releases that were filmed in fullscreen get stretched to fill the screen, yet Disney's SD fullscreen features get letterboxed. Maybe it's how they encode them or something?
Goofy, I think you mean "pillarboxed". Letterbox are black bars on the top and bottom. Pillarboxes are black bars on the sides. It is only fitting that 4:3 material is pillarboxed on a widescreen TV.
goofystitch
Collector's Edition

Post by goofystitch »

Rudy Matt wrote:Goofy, I think you mean "pillarboxed". Letterbox are black bars on the top and bottom. Pillarboxes are black bars on the sides. It is only fitting that 4:3 material is pillarboxed on a widescreen TV.
That's what I meant, but had never heard the term "pillarboxed" before.
Matt
Anniversary Edition

Post by Matt »

blackcauldron85 wrote:Thanks for posting the trailers, Matt! :thumb:
You are very welcome Amy! :wink:

As of right now, BATB is scheduled for next fall release. if Disney changes it, I will change it lol
Rudy Matt
Special Edition

Post by Rudy Matt »

goofystitch wrote:
Rudy Matt wrote:Goofy, I think you mean "pillarboxed". Letterbox are black bars on the top and bottom. Pillarboxes are black bars on the sides. It is only fitting that 4:3 material is pillarboxed on a widescreen TV.
That's what I meant, but had never heard the term "pillarboxed" before.
That's cool. But just so you know, 4:3 material from a Blu Ray player displays in 4:3 on a 4:3 tv. No pillarboxing. Assuming, of course, the BRD is set-up correctly. Whoever told you that Blu-Ray can't output 4:3 material to a 4:3 set is out of their minds.
nomad2010
Special Edition

Post by nomad2010 »

so i had this thought tonight concerning the colors and the diamond editions trailer/imax print.

i'm wondering if the imax print was not intentionally brightened for theaters because it was such a large screen that they felt certain details would be lost if they didn't (especially with the horrible lighting some theaters have). obviously when doing the 3d version they would you the same brightened one since it was already ready. i'm wondering however if the original cap files will not be used for the diamond edition when they do their "restoration" of sorts... they will most likely call it a restoration.. and looking at the clips in the newer princess and the frog featurettes.. (see the ones on rotten tomatoes posted this week) they are no longer the bright yellow-ish material (especially look at the "podcast one" and note that when belle is singing in the town with the book in her hands, the sky is no longer yellow.. it's white) we had seen before. i'm assuming that the trailer used the old imax print just because it was finished and ready. so we could end up seeing a true colored beauty and the beast on blu-ray... what those true colors are we aren't for sure but i bet that what we get on the diamond edition will be the correct colors.
Dottie
Collector's Edition

Post by Dottie »

I just got my SnowWhite Blu today and watched the new BatB Diamond Edition trailer right away. Now, let me start by saying that my mom has seen this movie many times both my old VHS and the DVD (though only 3-4 times on the DVD on our old TV before we got the HD TV).
About 10 seconds into the trailer she was like "What's wrong with that picture? It's so bright and cartoonish. Where are the shadows".
And I have to say myself, I was a little shocked at how different the trailer looked, even from the DVD, and not in a good way.
(I was especially shocked at how Lumière looked, he was bright bright yellow and not with a little golden tint as I though he is supposed to be)

To make my point in response to nomad2010 I also think that the IMAX version was brightened to go better with the giant screen and I remember reading an interview with Kirk Wise from when the IMAX version came out and the mentioned how they did not only add detail to the background (like for example putting faces on the Beast and Belle when Lumière and the others are watching them during their snow fight), but also correct lines in the animation. According to Wise when they first tested BatB on an IMAX screen back in 2000 or 2001 some of the thicker animation lines looked like "telephone polls" on the huge screen. So they went back and corrected those lines, i.e. making them thinner.
Of course, if you use that print for a DVD the thinner lines basically disappear on the way smaller TV screens thus giving the impression that somehow depth has been lost, because all those lines that create a style and shadows are so thin they are too small to be seen on the small screen.
However that does not yet address the color issue yet. But I think that might be a reason why the IMAX print on the DVD looks so weird to some of us.
I guess they adjusted the print too much for the IMAX screen and I guess they also used that for the new Diamond Edition trailer. They usually use unrestored or stuff from previous restorations/prints for their trailers.

Now, for the new Diamond Edition, I really hope they will only use the original CAPS files for the print that don't actually need any restoration because they are digital and that this will result in the right colors and right depth of the picture with all the lines and shadows as they were originally drawn.

I guess the best solution would be to put the original CAPS files print on Disc 1, together with the work-in-progress version using seamless branching since those two are basically the same movie.
And then the IMAX print with the new scene on Disc 2.
Make Disc 3 all bonus features and voilà a perfect Diamond set for BatB :D

And carrying over all the stuff from the previous PE would be nice, like all the TV spots and the original Dion/Bryson music video, the art galleries...

Here's also a link to the interview I was referring to:
http://www.rossanthony.com/interviews/kirkwise.shtml