Fantasia/F2K: 2-Movie Collection Discussion: Nov. 30, 2010

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I like brotherbear's idea of having "The Pastoral Symphony That Once Was" as a bonus feature. Sounds like a fair deal.
KubrickFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by KubrickFan »

If it's going to be uncensored on the disc it has to be in the movie. Just do it with seamless branching, so you can choose. If you choose the original version you get Leonard Maltin or Oprah or someone else to explain why the scene was the way it was.
MrIncredible
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MrIncredible »

So, I knew this would happen, as soon as we know about a new edition, I finally found a copy of the old Anthology Collection at a store near my work. It was behind the counter, but I think it was going for $100, plus a 25% discount cause of a sale going on, so it's like $75. I'm SO tempted to pick it up, but with these coming early next year, I think I'll try to live without them for the time being.
KubrickFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by KubrickFan »

MrIncredible wrote:So, I knew this would happen, as soon as we know about a new edition, I finally found a copy of the old Anthology Collection at a store near my work. It was behind the counter, but I think it was going for $100, plus a 25% discount cause of a sale going on, so it's like $75. I'm SO tempted to pick it up, but with these coming early next year, I think I'll try to live without them for the time being.
If you're a big fan of bonus material, I would buy it if I were you. Not only does it have multiple audio commentaries and a thorough making of documentary (better than the average ones on the platinum editions, I think) there's also information on every separate short, on the third disc. It's a lot of information, and I highly doubt it that Disney would add all that on the new discs.
musicradio77
Anniversary Edition

Post by musicradio77 »

I'm definitely looking forward to get the "Fantasia" DVD next year. This is going to be my last Disney DVD that I'm going to get for a while. After that, I would start getting into some other stuff like probably western movies that I would really look forward to get it.

There are a few Disney films that are western, "Ten Who Dared", "The Apple Dumpling Gang", "The Apple Dumpling Gang Rides Again" and a few others.

Fir those of you haven't heard the soundtrack to "Fantasia", I do have the original vinyl record of the soundtrack by Leopold Strowkoski and it was released in 1957 and it's still a classic. This was first released on Disneyland Records and later released on the Buena Vista label. It has all 3 records plus a 24-page full color booklet filled with illustrations and paintings from the film. The front and back of the record was pretty cool with oil painting on it. The records are not original, but it was dated on wax "2/12/71", but this was a reissue.

The album was first released in stereo and it was the first Disney soundtrack album released in stereo, kinda like the one when it was originally used in Fantasound, I guess Fantasound was an early development of stereo. Stereo wasn't introduced until 1958 when "Fantasia" continues to sell well along with the original Hi-Fi LP, a lot of people who bought stereo consoles and stuff to hear "Fantasia" on your stereo.

My vintage GE Wildcat portable record player is stereo plays 3 records, one that plays in correct order, record 1 had sides 1 and 6, record 2 had sides 2 and 5, and record 3 had sides 3 and 4. Perfect for use with record changers. If you have a Hi-Fi record player, "Fantasia" can play them to get monaural sound which is stereo compatible.
santiagocapra

may 2010

Post by santiagocapra »

Neal
Anniversary Edition

Post by Neal »

What a busy year for Disney DVD/Blu-ray collectors! 2010 is going to be expensive! :lol:
steve
Gold Classic Collection

Re: may 2010

Post by steve »

[re-reads article frantically] Where's Destino damnit?!
zackisthewalrus
Anniversary Edition

Re: may 2010

Post by zackisthewalrus »

:pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!! I was so worried that the 64 minute elephant was gonna kill Fantasia! Haha. I'm hoping they still release F2K and Destino along with Fantasia!

Edit: Just looked it over again! Yay for F2K! Still hoping for Destino!
"No day but today."
My YouTube Channel
CampbellzSoup
Anniversary Edition

Post by CampbellzSoup »

so Dumbo, Fantasia, and Beauty and the Beast? :o
zackisthewalrus
Anniversary Edition

CampbellzSoup wrote:so Dumbo, Fantasia, and Beauty and the Beast? :o
And, hopefully, some non-Platinum Blus!
"No day but today."
My YouTube Channel
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

If we really are getting Dumbo, Fantasia and Beauty and the Beast next year, it's gonna be one awesome year!

Everybody please pray that at least we do get Fantasia.
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

I guess I feel slightly better that the films are coming out and not being replaced, but I still feel very strongly about Dumbo not being in there. Fantasia/2000 was added for a reason, Dumbo was added because they felt like it. Still, I wish the films were coming out in March as planned.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

TheSequelOfDisney wrote:I guess I feel slightly better that the films are coming out and not being replaced, but I still feel very strongly about Dumbo not being in there. Fantasia/2000 was added for a reason, Dumbo was added because they felt like it. Still, I wish the films were coming out in March as planned.
Well....look on the bright side...at least it will be a 2 month wait and not a 2 year wait (2012)

although I think there's still something missing oh yes I know..

But where is Destino in all of this???
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

Since i'm not exactly a spanish speaking person... does that article say that Dumbo and Fantasia are going to be released as PE's (or DE) in spring 2010?
Coolmanio
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Coolmanio »

Translation:

Disney Studios announces the launch of Fantasia Platinum Edition in May 2010. Both the DVD and the Blu-Ray will be released on the same day.

The experimental masterpiece of Walt Disney, Fantasia won two Oscars for its innovative use of animation and music. Fantasia, whose last release was in 2000, will be available in this restored and remastered edition in 2010. Along with this launch, they will also release the Fantasia 2000 Platinum Edition, which has been recently restored and remastered. Fantasia 2000 begins where its predecessor, Fantasia, left off, with seven completely new segments and the return of the popular "Sorcerer's Apprentice."
azul017
Special Edition

Post by azul017 »

I would think Disney would want to time the Platinum/Diamond release of Fantasia to be released closer to July, because the related Sorcerer's Apprentice is coming July 16th and Disney could use a promotional tie-in.
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

Julian Carter wrote:If we really are getting Dumbo, Fantasia and Beauty and the Beast next year, it's gonna be one awesome year!

Everybody please pray that at least we do get Fantasia.
That will be awesome!
Now...
Everybody please pray that I can find a job so that I can buy these as I don't have them yet. :huh:
zackisthewalrus
Anniversary Edition

Here's a quote from That1GuyPictures from Blu-ray.com who's apparently close to Disney:
Platinum titles will still continue to be released. Look for the number to increase from 2 per year to either 3 or 4, also Look for new titles to enter Platinum status for the first time. Dumbo will be a special edition, not a platinum release. Snow White & Beauty and the Beast are Diamond editions.
Fantasia 1940 & 2000 will both be Platinum Editions, The Diamond editions are upgrades from the platinum editions. For example a title will not have two platinum editions, it will have one platinum followed by an upgraded Diamond editon. The other main title I would look for next year sometime is Aladdin. The moniker used may be either Diamond, Special or Platinum, but I actually think it will stay a Platinum edition and simply be re-released as the first Disney Blu-Ray exclusive release, where NO DVD will be re-issued.
:D
"No day but today."
My YouTube Channel
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

Okay, so let me see if I'm following this right. There will be three different collections on Blu-ray (no, I'm not starting yet another DVD vs. BD debate. I'm focusing on BD because, frankly, it's a heck of a lot easier to follow than if you threw in half-baked DVD re-releases into the mix).

Diamond Editions: Films that have previously been released under the Platinum Collection.
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Beauty and the Beast
The Lion King
Aladdin? (this is the mystery floater title, I guess)
Bambi
Cinderella
Lady and the Tramp
The Little Mermaid
Peter Pan
The Jungle Book
One Hundred and One Dalmatians

Platinum Editions: Films that are deemed worthy enough to join this collection for the first time
Sleeping Beauty
Pinocchio
Fantasia
Fantasia 2000
Alice in Wonderland?

Special Editions: Films that apparently aren't quite good enough but merit enough attention and effort
Dumbo

So Disney is going to surprise us with more Platinums (the later 90s films like Hunchback and Hercules, perhaps?), Dumbo is inexplicably not important enough for Platinum status, and Aladdin could be dumped just about anywhere? This is getting more and more convoluted. I think the real question in all this is how substantial Dumbo's release will be. If it's basically the old DVD thrown onto BD, then that makes the SE line just at half-baked as the last few DVD SEs (Robin Hood, Oliver & Company, etc.).

I know I've said I'm done caring about Disney's haphazard collections, and I am. The only reason why I'm musing over all this so much is because, like it or not, Disney does put more care into their PE/DEs, even if it's not enough for our standards at times. Only Pixar titles and big live-action releases get quality treatment nowadays, so it's important to me to know what animated films Disney is holding in high esteem. If all of the films listed in this post (and then some) receive thoughtful, meaty releases, then I don't care how they're delineated. I guess Dumbo and Aladdin will be icebreakers that indicate what Dsney's intentions really are.