Fantasia/F2K: 2-Movie Collection Discussion: Nov. 30, 2010

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

ajmrowland wrote: Right now, the set is far too expensive at amazon. I'll pay $30, but that's it.
Well, what I meant was that I just bought the bonus disc that came with the 'Fantasia Anthology', which has a crapload of bonus features on it. You could always buy that now, just in case the new releases don't include most of the material, and then save money to actually buy the 2 movies. I was lucky enough that my brother gave me both DVDs, so I only had to invest the $25 for this disc.

And who knows- maybe the new DVD of Fantasia will be uncut (:lol: That's funny.), or maybe some of the cut material, whether Sunflower or Deems Taylor's original narration, will be included, or at least mentioned, on the new disc.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

blackcauldron85 wrote:
ajmrowland wrote: Right now, the set is far too expensive at amazon. I'll pay $30, but that's it.
Well, what I meant was that I just bought the bonus disc that came with the 'Fantasia Anthology', which has a crapload of bonus features on it. You could always buy that now, just in case the new releases don't include most of the material, and then save money to actually buy the 2 movies. I was lucky enough that my brother gave me both DVDs, so I only had to invest the $25 for this disc.

And who knows- maybe the new DVD of Fantasia will be uncut (:lol: That's funny.), or maybe some of the cut material, whether Sunflower or Deems Taylor's original narration, will be included, or at least mentioned, on the new disc.
Oh, I wasn't replying to you, exactly. I wouldn't get the bonus disc, because I don't own the movies. That's why I'm holding off for now. You're lucky with your brother giving them both to you. I don't know anyone who already has them.
David S.
Special Edition

Post by David S. »

I'm hoping for an uncut version as well, or at least, I'm hoping that in the past 10 years, that they were able to locate the rest of the original Deems Taylor narration and restore it to the film!
"Feed the birds, tuppence a bag"- Mary Poppins
"How high does the sycamore grow? If you cut it down, then you'll never know"- Pocahontas
"I do not make films primarily for children. I make them for the child in all of us, whether he be six or sixty. Call the child innocence." - Walt Disney
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

David S. wrote:I'm hoping for an uncut version as well, or at least, I'm hoping that in the past 10 years, that they were able to locate the rest of the original Deems Taylor narration and restore it to the film!
Me too. I do appreciate Disney's efforts in making sure the narration was consistent by redubbing all of Taylor's lines, but I really like Taylor's voice! The new voice is adequate but sounds rather thin and harsh. It's quite an odd voice if you think about it.
yukitora
Special Edition

Post by yukitora »

I wonder if Disney will be advertising this towards children or adults. If children, then there's no chance it'll be uncut.

I just can't imagine amazing sales for this film :lol: How much has it sold in the past?
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

yukitora wrote:I just can't imagine amazing sales for this film :lol: How much has it sold in the past?
It actually sold quite well, considering the material (hence it's addition to the Platinum Edition line).
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
yukitora
Special Edition

Post by yukitora »

TheSequelOfDisney wrote:
yukitora wrote:I just can't imagine amazing sales for this film :lol: How much has it sold in the past?
It actually sold quite well, considering the material (hence it's addition to the Platinum Edition line).
Does anyone have figures for all the major disney dvd (and blu ray) releases?
blackcauldron85

ajmrowland wrote: Oh, I wasn't replying to you, exactly. I wouldn't get the bonus disc, because I don't own the movies. That's why I'm holding off for now. You're lucky with your brother giving them both to you. I don't know anyone who already has them.
Yeah, I didn't think you were replying to me, exactly. :) I guess my thought is, the price might go up when the new DVDs come out. Have you not seen the Fantasia films? If not, then I can understand not necessarily wanting to watch the bonus material without having seen the films. And, yeah, I didn't expect my brother to do that, but he can be nice sometimes. :)
CampbellzSoup
Anniversary Edition

Post by CampbellzSoup »

I hope they release another film along this time as well for example Hercules/Dumbo

I'm not too mcuh a fan of just musicals, but I've never seen this film either so I should go in with open thoughts.
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

I cannot wait for these films to come out. I missed my chance on buying them when I saw them at a drug store a few years ago. I hope that when they release this, they restore it and put the cut scenes back in (or at least have them as a bonus feature or easter egg).
zackisthewalrus
Anniversary Edition

Post by zackisthewalrus »

Has anyone heard any news about this release or seen a first draft of the cover(s)? Snow White's first draft cover was probably leaked about this far before its release.
"No day but today."
My YouTube Channel
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Post by PeterPanfan »

Could we combine this thread with the one I made not too long ago please?

The Fantasia/Fantasia 2000 Platinum Edition Thread
brotherbear
Special Edition

Post by brotherbear »

So, I've been thinking of something that I'm sure others have at least considered, but I wanted to bring it up on here. As we know, the release of the newest Disney animated film (The Princess and the Frog) is going to be released in 2010, with the first black princess. Do you think this *may* be the kind of release Disney would need in order to finally distribute a TRUELY unedited version of Fantasia, that same year? :D I mean, Fantasia is one of my top 3 favorite DAC's of all time and it kills me that Disney keeps trying to keep these 4 scenes in the dark...despite the changing times, in its own way, these scenes are a part of history and should be shown...

-BB
MY "FAB FOUR": 1- FANTASIA, 2- THE LION KING, 3- BEAUTY AND THE BEAST, 4- THE JUNGLE BOOK

blackcauldron85

I think that with TP&tF, Disney is trying to please the African American community, and Sunflower surely won't please most of them...
zackisthewalrus
Anniversary Edition

Post by zackisthewalrus »

Well, I think that Leonard Maltin or someone should make an unskippable introduction about how the movie is a product of its time and the actions in it are not appropriate today and blah blah blah.
"No day but today."
My YouTube Channel
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Post by PeterPanfan »

zackisthewalrus wrote:Well, I think that Leonard Maltin or someone should make an unskippable introduction about how the movie is a product of its time and the actions in it are not appropriate today and blah blah blah.
Well, seeing that the film was made in 1940 could have the same effect. :P
brotherbear
Special Edition

Post by brotherbear »

PeterPanfan wrote:
zackisthewalrus wrote:Well, I think that Leonard Maltin or someone should make an unskippable introduction about how the movie is a product of its time and the actions in it are not appropriate today and blah blah blah.
Well, seeing that the film was made in 1940 could have the same effect. :P
While this is true, most people today who aren't huge Disney fans like we are, but more-or-less the average joe, don't think that Fantasia was made that long ago. When I showed my college friends Pinocchio after it came out in its PE, they were *shocked* that it was made in 1940...they apparently thought it was made in the 80s. My parents are the same way. So, I think you can't just let the fact that it was made in the 40's carry that message.

-BB
MY "FAB FOUR": 1- FANTASIA, 2- THE LION KING, 3- BEAUTY AND THE BEAST, 4- THE JUNGLE BOOK

singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

Although I wouldn't mind seeing the edited out scenes added back into Fantasia, I don't see why they are essential to anyone's enjoyment of the film. Sunflower is really a unnecessary character in the scene and has so little screen time that I doubt many who saw Fantasia originally in theaters and then saw the newer edition even noticed her absence.

Sadly another point is that even with a disclaimer there is enough people that would be outraged by the re-introduction that their opinions would be heard. It only takes a few to open a can of worms.

I just don't see why it would even be worth adding her in, to please a few fans who want to see it in it's entirety? I think the general population of people who will buy this film would care less if she were not included but would care a lot if she were.
brotherbear
Special Edition

Post by brotherbear »

singerguy04 wrote:
Sadly another point is that even with a disclaimer there is enough people that would be outraged by the re-introduction that their opinions would be heard. It only takes a few to open a can of worms.

I just don't see why it would even be worth adding her in, to please a few fans who want to see it in it's entirety? I think the general population of people who will buy this film would care less if she were not included but would care a lot if she were.
This is why I personally think that (while I don't want to buy the Bluray version..) I think that most of the more...hardcore fans..would. So, I think that the truely unedited version should be available AS WELL AS the censored one, for those who have kids or those who are just flat-out easily offended could buy the dvd, with only the censored version, while the Blu Ray has BOTH. That way, too, Disney can actually market the Blu Ray version and maybe even use it to market it. I would also be fine with having BOTH versions, censored and uncensored, on the set, so the viewers have the option.

Honestly, I wouldn't even mind it being an extra. "The Pastoral Symphony that Once Was." It might include a non-skipable introduction from Leonard Maltin explaining about the different times, etc, and then it shows the ENTIRE Pastoral Symphony, unedited and restored. And when watching the movie itself, its edited. I would honestly be fine with even that.

-BB

singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

A bonus feature about sunflower seems to be the most reasonable way to go about this issue. I could actually see Disney doing this option.

I just don't see Disney releasing the unedited version at all because the demand and the people that would actually buy it would probably be too small for them to put in the effort.

On a side note, I very excited for the release. Fantasia has always been one of my favorite Disney films and it keeps getting better for me the older I get. I hope that it doesn't get a kid treatment and stays focused on a mature audience.