Create your own PE DVD Cover art!

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Vermin Friends
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Vermin Friends »

steve wrote:
Vermin Friends wrote:I'm about... two pages behind, but I just wanted to thank Steve for his amazing tutorial, and although this is just practice, I do want to try it out on some other characters in the future.
It's been a while (nearly a year) since I've been around - it's cool that someone actually used my tutorial, Vermin Friends!
I wasn't able to use your tutorial exactly (because, as I said, I don't have a graphics tablet and stuff), but the tutorial taught me a lot about linework and coloring- not just in this "PE style", but with my other graphic projects and other stuff. So thanks again! :D
Check out some of my other work @ my Deviant Art profile
steve
Gold Classic Collection

Post by steve »

I was going to redesign the upcoming Snow White DVD/Blu-ray (cause it's God-awful in its current state), but I did Beauty and the Beast instead, cause I know the characters better and was too lazy to figure out how to draw all the dwarfs...

In my head, this "Limited Edition 3D Case" is no more than an elaborate slipcase highlighting the fact that the movie is 3D, and though it wouldn't cost any extra than the regular Blu-ray, there would be a very limited number produced and would probably disappear from shelves within a few months. (The front is made up of different layers of plastic with parts of the picture on the different layers. The surrounding frame would be made of a slightly sturdier card than the regular slipcase, almost like the Collector's Edition DVD of The Nightmare Before Christmas.).)

I'm not really a slipcase nut, but I just thought it would be cool.
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

Oh..my...God. That is without question, impressive!
zackisthewalrus
Anniversary Edition

Post by zackisthewalrus »

Holy shiznipples!!! I could probably leak that across the internet and people would believe it was real!!!! I love it!!!
Vermin Friends
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Vermin Friends »

steve wrote:[...] I did Beauty and the Beast instead, cause I know the characters better and was too lazy to figure out how to draw all the dwarfs...
:shock: HOLY CRAP! This is so beautiful, the concept is so different than anything I would expect from Disney, using the winter scene rather than the famous ballroom scene. It actually makes a LOT more sense now that I think about it (with it being the first time he's shown to really have a heart, and the first time she's shown to possibly have feelings for him, etc.). Gosh, everything is so professional looking... it's so great to have you back! :D

And what an elaborate presentation! 3D LE casing?! I know a LOT of people would totally drool over that (... :oops: lol) and just... I love this so much. Absolutely amazing work, definitely a huge inspiration.

You should upload this on DeviantArt so those crazies can drool over it, too! :P
DisneyLuver
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DisneyLuver »

steve wrote:I was going to redesign the upcoming Snow White DVD/Blu-ray (cause it's God-awful in its current state), but I did Beauty and the Beast instead, cause I know the characters better and was too lazy to figure out how to draw all the dwarfs...

:shock:
I showed my friend that, and she started screaming, and then I told her it's fan made, and she punched me. :roll:
But for a second, I swear I died; THAT'S FREAKIN' AMAZING!!
Linguini
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Linguini »

wow, really impressive artwork and looks so real, wouldn't mind a cover art like that for the movie.
Vermin Friends
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Vermin Friends »

DisneyLuver wrote:I showed my friend that, and she started screaming, and then I told her it's fan made, and she punched me. :roll:
:lol: Well, unfortunate for you, but still funny. lol
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

:o

That's very good. My only criticism is that Mrs. Potts and Chip look off-model.
steve
Gold Classic Collection

Post by steve »

ajmrowland wrote:My only criticism is that Mrs. Potts and Chip look off-model.
Yeah, I know. I think it has something to do with her eyes (?) and Chip is just plain wrong. They're the last thing I did and I was kinda rushing to get it finished. Now that I've actually been called on it by someone else, I might go fix them when I get a chance.
DisneyLuver wrote:I showed my friend that, and she started screaming, and then I told her it's fan made, and she punched me.
:lol:
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

That is beautiful, steve!!!! Amazing work!!! I would love to see a cover like that used! :)
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

:jawdrop:

Wow... Just wow...

Beat that, Disney!

It's so beautiful!!! I love that you used that dress for Belle, it's by far my favorite. The gold one is overrated :p.
"A typical ideologue of all things social justice for the sake of sounding smart and politically proper."

:bow:
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Design Disney Covers!

Post by Disney Duster »

Like many in here, I'm an artist myself.

And what you did really is very impressive, to someone who draws. But what's also impressive is the clear photoshop and coloring skills. And that you know how to make it look so professional is amazing.

As an artist, I'm gonna have to talk about the drawing! Mrs. Potts I think also has something not right with her spout and body shape. Chip actually looks fine to me.

Belle's chin need a lot of help. And maybe her expression in general.

Now, I admit that Belle's expression, as well as the whole thing, fits with the slightly off-model, extra bright and happy official Disney covers of late, but...I expect more from someone as good as you, actually! And Snow White's actually isn't even as bright and happy, actually. And the first Platinum Beauty and the Beast one actually made the characters look so extremely good.

I know the scene is a naturally bright, and yes, happy one in the film, but Belle really doesn't look as mature as she was originally designed. Look at her smiling from behind the tree during that scene in the movie. Or maybe it's just her lips looking wrong, and maybe her eyes too big, I'm not sure. But I would also make the scene a little less bright. It's pretty much white behind them in your cover. It wasn't like that in the film.

And that's all I would do. But, it's your art, with your own intentions and reasons, of course!

And hey, how did you do the font? I would think you'd have to take a pic of the original logo, not draw it on your own, unless you're even better than I thought, damn!
The Little Merboy
Special Edition

Post by The Little Merboy »

So pretty, just the winter makes me think of the christmas movie. Not the actual BatB film.
Vermin Friends
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Vermin Friends »

The Little Merboy wrote:So pretty, just the winter makes me think of the christmas movie. Not the actual BatB film.
Yeah, that's actually exactly what I was thinking, too. lol But after the second look, I was like "OH!" lol It's still so beautiful.
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

Ok....well, first, I am an animator and illustrator myself. And I must say i am very impressed with Steve's Beauty and the beast cover. I like the choice of the scene, and the coloring is superb. And the line quality is excelent (actually, i wonder...did you clean it up tradicionally or with a Wacom?)
Ok, so the characters are a bit off model (especially Mrs.Potts and Belle), but Belle and the Beast are way more on model than on the actual PE dvd cover. Here is where I disagree with Disney Duster. I think the original PE dvd cover was a disaster. Belle and the beast are just a bad tracing and re painting of the original video cover, and clearly not done by a good artist, who understand what everything is. There are lines missing in the Beast's face, and Belle's eyes look like there are about to pop out.

And did anyone notice that Cogsworth is missing? My take on it....since the other enchanted objects were just taken off of the original video, they couldn't take cogsworth because much of his body was covered by Lumiere, and they couldnt bother to draw him again. Unbelievable! There is NO reason why the other three should be there and he wouldn't.

Anyways... Steve, kudos on the beautiful cover.
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

Marce82 wrote:but Belle and the Beast are way more on model than on the actual PE dvd cover. Here is where I disagree with Disney Duster. I think the original PE dvd cover was a disaster. Belle and the beast are just a bad tracing and re painting of the original video cover, and clearly not done by a good artist, who understand what everything is. There are lines missing in the Beast's face, and Belle's eyes look like there are about to pop out.
Agreed. Not to mention Belle looks like an old lady on the PE cover.
"A typical ideologue of all things social justice for the sake of sounding smart and politically proper."

:bow:
universALLove
Collector's Edition

Post by universALLove »

steve wrote:I was going to redesign the upcoming Snow White DVD/Blu-ray (cause it's God-awful in its current state), but I did Beauty and the Beast instead, cause I know the characters better and was too lazy to figure out how to draw all the dwarfs...

In my head, this "Limited Edition 3D Case" is no more than an elaborate slipcase highlighting the fact that the movie is 3D, and though it wouldn't cost any extra than the regular Blu-ray, there would be a very limited number produced and would probably disappear from shelves within a few months. (The front is made up of different layers of plastic with parts of the picture on the different layers. The surrounding frame would be made of a slightly sturdier card than the regular slipcase, almost like the Collector's Edition DVD of The Nightmare Before Christmas.).)

I'm not really a slipcase nut, but I just thought it would be cool.
Wow! This looks totally believable, I'd love to see more covers from you! :D
REINIER
Anniversary Edition

Post by REINIER »

Simply marvelous, Steve, as always you have outdone yourself.
If only you could design all of them, I could rest easily :lol:
You should have a sign up on your door:

''genius at work!''

But enough praise, you've had plenty already :D

As everyone here I'm curious to what you might come up with next.
Keep up the good work :wink:
When it comes to brains, I got the lion-share,
but when it comes to bruth strength, I'm afraid I'm at the shallow end of the gene pool
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

He'll come up with a couple of Fantasia designs, of course!