The Disney Attractions Discussion Series: Haunted Mansion

All topics relating to Disney theme parks, resorts, and cruises.
dizfan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by dizfan »

Super Aurora wrote:
Also from reading the information, It seems the WDW version is the better version than DL one as it has more stuff and experiences to see. Yet I always hear that many prefer the DL one. Know why? What's your preferred version?
That more then likely because the DL one has received constant attention and upgrades almost on an annual basis, while the WDW one just continued to fall into desrepair. Before the WDW redo, the one in DL was vastly superior in quality. Now the one in WDW takes the lead a little bit.

Based on past practices, there is a shot of history repeating itself. Another big refurbishment/enhancement is already on the radar for DL's.

Personally, the one in Disneyland Paris is my favorite. Even though it is in DESPERATE need of a refurbishment (the last time I rode it the dancing ghosts were not even dancing). It is the most unique and the best storyline.
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

WOW AWESOME! Thanik! i see so all those ones were concept arts that Davis did but the ones we see actually in the WDW mansion are by Ed kohn or Clem Hall?

So which Portraits are the finalized Changing portraits? Or What are the DL ones?(never been to DL).

So is the Dracula portrait that turns into a werewolf--a pre concept or did it actually became a finalize changing portrait?

Holy crap Marc's concept of pre medusa SO look like Aurora. it's almost uncanny.

and opera glasses concept art is even creepier than actual portrait. But love the portrait one better. i dunno it just draws me in. She like beautifully haunting with gorgeous lighting glow.

Same goes for the Marc Davis Villager. His is even creepier than actual one. i thinik it's the eyes where the black is surrounding the bright white eyes gves it a very alluring and haunted vibe. Same with BG. Marc's has very cool and dull colors for BG where as the final one has the fire which gives it a warm feeling that ikinda contradict the main focus of pic.

Marc's idea for couple is hilarious. lol

interesting history on the december lady. i like her young portrait n both final and Marc's. Marc's idea to me seem better than actual one.

I'm curious what made them decide to scrap Rasputin for a generic man. Although Marc's changing idea is... bizarre..

Thanks for clearing up the Witch's confusing. personally prefer Marc's over the actual one mainly that the background s more elaborate and the witch herself is creepier.

LOL at Mariner concept.
PrincePhillipFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by PrincePhillipFan »

Actually, sorry I made a mistake. All the portraits (with the exceptions of the stretching portraits) are done by Ed Kohn. The stretching portraits were originally done by Kohn too, but in 1982, Clem Hall came in and painted new more realistic versions of them. Since the stretching room mechanisms puts so much wear and tear on those portraits, they need to be changed every couple of years, and sometimes new different versions of them are painted. I'll probably do a post on the stretching portraits soon.

But anyway, here are the final versions of what the original changing portrait corridor at DL was like starting in 1969. First you had the Panther Lady

ImageImage

The Black Prince
ImageImage

Medusa
ImageImage

The Flying Dutchman
ImageImage

And Miss April/December
ImageImage

Originally, the portraits changed to coincide with the lightning flashes outside the windows, and then later just slowly morphed back and forth.

Sometime around in 2003-2004, they then made a major change to the corridor. They went back to the original effects of the portraits flashing and changing with the lightning flashes, using fiber optics this time to replace the old rear projection slide system. However, with the new fiber optics system, it meant that the after stage of the portraits had to be brighter than the before stages so the effect could show through. So they went back and had to change a few of the portraits for the effects.

One now is that the changed the Panther Lady now to a White Tiger Lady.
ImageImage

However, since they couldn't get Miss April/December to work with the new flashing fiber optic effect, so they replaced her at DL with a copy of WDW's Master Gracey/Ghost Host portrait in the foyer. Here's the full Gracey changing portrait stages in WDW's foyer scene.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

However, at DL's Portrait Corridor, they obviously couldn't do all six stages like WDW's has, so they simplified to just from the first stage to the final skeleton one, and brightened up the whiteness of the skeleton for the effect to work. When they brought the new portrait gallery to WDW to replace the Sinister 11 Gallery, they used copies of the White Tiger Lady, Black Prince, Flying Dutchman, and Medusa portraits. Since WDW already has the original expanded version of the Master Gracey portrait in the foyer since it opened in 71, there was of course no need for him to be in the corridor again like at DL.

About the concepts, I do agree that Marc's concept for Medusa looks eerily so much like Aurora. I thought they could be sisters. :p

Dracula actually never became a changing portrait, but the before stage did become a Sinister 11 portrait. And actually the reason why they didn't use the Rasputin portrait was Walt was worried about being sued. In an interview that Marc did for the E-Ticket Magazine, he said that Walt was worried about there still might be relatives of Rasputin out there who might sue if they found out. And as Marc stated, sure enough, sometime in the 80s, some distant niece of Rasputin's had passed away.
-Tim
PrincePhillipFan
Anniversary Edition

This was a post I had done for Micechat and Doombuggies a while ago, but I thought I would post it here since it involves a lot of people who's work spanned into many classic Hollywood films and classic Disney films too.

I'm a huge fan of voice artist and studio singers in general, so this has always been a personal work of love for me. Many people who are fans of the mansion tend to all know Paul Frees (the Ghost Host), Eleanor Audley (Madame Leota), and Thurl Ravenscroft (the lead 'Uncle Theodore' singing bust) and their voice work for the mansion. But so many of the other great talents tend to go unnoticed, particularly my favorite are the graveyard singers. With the originals' replacement with new vocals at WDW last year (although thankfully they still have the originals at DL and Tokyo), I feel they never get the love they deserve, and I love that each vocal adds their own disctinction to the song. So here is my labor of love that I have been working for years, and years worth of information I've culled over and discovered to bring to you...

A TRIBUTE TO THE GRAVEYARD SINGERS

In the graveyard, after the singing busts, are the duke and duchess drinking wine at a small picnic table and singing in thick British accents. The duchess is voiced by Betty Wand, a long time Hollywood singing dubber. Not much I can find on Miss Wand, but from what I've found her credits includes a vocal dubber for Leslie Caron in Gigi, for South Pacific, and for Rita Moreno in West Side Story. She also worked as a steady chorus singer at MGM, and sung backup for Frank Sinatra, Judy Garland, and Harry Belafonte. She also sings for one of the female birds in the Enchanted Tiki Room.

The duke is voiced by Bill Lee, a multi-talented, but seldom talked about, Disney singer and voice actor. For the group's entire formation from the 1940s to the 70s, Lee was the baritone singer for the Mello Men quartet, singing on the soundtracks for Alice In Wonderland, Peter Pan, Lady And The Tramp, Sleeping Beauty, 101 Dalmatians, Mary Poppins and The Jungle Book. The Mello Men also sang with many popular stars of the day, including Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra and Rosemary Clooney. Lee also had a career outside the Mello Men as a solo singer and dubber. He dubbed Christopher Plummer as the singing voice of Capt Von Trapp in The Sound Of Music, and Lt Cable in South Pacific. Lee also sang as various pirates in Pirates Of The Caribbean, and in the chorus for the Enchanted Tiki Room and Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln. Besides the duke's voice, Lee's other solo moments for Disney include Roger's singing voice in 101 Dalmatians, the Bing Crosby impression during Let's All Sing Like The Birdies Sing for the Enchanted Tiki Room, the voice of Melvin The Moose in Country Bear Jamboree, and one of the geese quartet for America Sings. He can also be heard as Bert and Mr. Banks on the second cast recording Mary Poppins album from the 1960s, and numerous other singing and voice acting roles for the Disneyland Records label in the 1950s and 60s.

Next up is the hearse group, consisting of a coachman, duchess, corpse, and sea captain having a tea party and singing in hushed monotone voices. The voices are provided by Betty Wand once again, and Bill Days, Ernie Newton, and Allan Davies who we'll get to later.

The next group includes a mummy trying to mumble Grim Grinning Ghosts through a number of bandages, as an old man with a hearing horn shouts "Ehh! What's that?! LOUDER!"

The mummy is voiced by Allan Davies (second from the right). Davies was a singer for the well-known vocal group the Pied Pipers in the 1950s, making numerous appearances on television and movies, and backing up many popular recording artists. He also was a regular vocalist for The Johnny Mann Singers, and sang backup for Eartha Kitt and Fess Parker. In the 1960s, Davies worked as a choral arranger for Disney with Buddy Baker, his two most notable projects being the Mansion and Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln, as well as singing in the chorus. In the 1980s, he contributed to Disney again, this time as a music contractor for the new soundtracks for the dark rides in the New Fantasyland. Davies can also be heard on the soundtracks for Mary Poppins and Seven Brides For Seven Brothers.

The old man is voiced by Dallas McKennon (pictured with Fess Parker), a prolific voice actor for both Disney and other studios. McKennon appeared on screen in dozens of films and television shows. He's perhaps best known for his voice work, including his long career as the voice of Gumby. For Disney, McKennon's credits include one of the pound dogs in Lady And The Tramp, the owl hooting in Sleeping Beauty, and the fox in Mary Poppins. For the theme parks, McKennon can be heard as the voice of the narrator on the old Mine Train Thru Nature's Wonderland, Zeke in Country Bear Jamboree, Ben Franklin for Epcot's The American Adventure, and perhaps his best known "This here is the wildest ride in the wilderness!" for Big Thunder Mountain. McKennon was also a prolific voice actor for the Disneyland records label from the 1950s to the 80s.

Next, is a pair of Wagernian opera singers, with a fat soprano prima donna, and her skinny tenor Siegried.

Loulie Jean Norman provided the wailing crazy soprano for the opera singer. More than any other singer, Loulie has probably had the greatest brush with fame. Her credits include as a backup singer for Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby, Judy Garland, Ray Charles, Nat King Cole, Randy Newman, Dean Martin, and many, many others. Her other contributions in the industry include a chorus singer on many Hollywood musicals, and as a regular vocalist for the Ray Conniff Singers. Perhaps her best known work however remains as the singer of the Flipper theme song, the background soprano for The Tokens' famous hit The Lion Sleeps Tonight, and as the soprano who warbles out the theme to the Star Trek television series. For Disney, Loulie sang with the chorus for Alice In Wonderland and Peter Pan, and for Great Moments With Mr Lincoln and the Carousel of Progress. She can be also heard as one of the voices for Bunny, Bubbles, and Beulah in Country Bear Jamboree. Coincidentally, before the Mansion, Loulie worked with Paul Frees on a Spike Jones horror-comedy themed album A Spooktacular In Screaming Sound. Frees voices Dracula, while Loulie provided the voice and vocals for Vampira.

Longtime Hollywood singer Bill Reeve sang as the tenor singer in the graveyard. Not much I've managed to uncover for Reeve other than the mansion, except for him as a chorus singer for the Enchanted Tiki Room, Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln, and America Sings. Reeve also work for MGM as a chorus singer on numerous movie musicals, and backed up Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby, Harry Belafonte, Dean Martin, and Fess Parker in the 1950s and 60s.

After them is the medieval trio, consisting of a decapitated German knight who holds his singing head in his hand, a fat and burly hooded executioner with an axe, and a short scruffy bearded prisoner with a ball and chain.

Ernie Newton provided the thick German accent for the decapitated knight. Newton's work includes as a Hollywood studio singer also for MGM for many musicals in the 1940s and 50s, and as a backup singer for Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby, and Judy Garland. Newton also provided the singing voice of Boo-Boo for the special Hey There, It's Yogi Bear. His other vocal work for Disney includes Great Moments With Mr Lincoln, and as the voice of Pierre in the Enchanted Tiki Room, and several singing pirates with Thurl and Frees in the burning city for Pirates Of The Caribbean.

The great Candy Candido provides the voice of the gravelly executioner. Candy was a bass player in the 1930s and 40s, and a well-known personality himself on Jimmy Durante's radio show, and as an actor in films. Candido later became a voice actor, mostly for Disney. Some of his best-known parts include the angry apple tree in Wizard Of Oz, the Indian Chief in Peter Pan, one of Maleficent's goons in Sleeping Beauty, the Captain of the Guards in Robin Hood, and Fidget in The Great Mouse Detective.

The prisoner is voiced by Bill Days (pictured at far left, with a very young Thurl there too at far right). Days' high pitched voice is the one many mistake as the "voice of Mickey." Days worked with Thurl starting back in the 1930s, when both of them were vocalists for The Sportsmen quartet. The Sportsmen appeared in movies and on many popular radio shows at the time, including on the soundtrack of Pinocchio. While Thurl left the group for service in WWII, Days continued to stay with the quartet all the way into the 50s, where he backed up Bing Crosby on many songs, and appeared as regulars on The Jack Benny Show. I haven't been able to find if he's done other things for Disney other than the Mansion.

So there's my tribute to the graveyard singers. While many of them aren't well-known as some of their fellow Disney voice actors, I think their work and prolific careers alone speak for the tremendeous talent these people had.

If you have any feedback or questions about my tribute or the people, I would love to hear them here and what you think. :)
-Tim
WonderlandFever
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WonderlandFever »

I love this thread! I totally love the Haunted Mansion. I also prefer the one in WDW to DL and I love the update. Thanks for all the great articles on it :D
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

Yo anyone got images of the stretching portraits from Phantom Manor? I read up that they are completely different paintings. I wanna see what these ones look like.

kAlso do they have places were they sell posters of sinister 11? Cause I'd really love to get a big poster of Opera glasses woman and hang it on my wall. I heard they have posters of the stretching portraits so wonder if Sinister 11 have them too.
Prince Charming 12
Gold Classic Collection

HAUNTED MANSON

Post by Prince Charming 12 »

Prince Phillip Fan,

Thanks for the interesting history on the Haunted Manson. What are your source(s) for your in depth analysis of this attraction? I find it amazing that there are resources (Disney or non-Disney) available that detail back up singers, voice actors, etc. for the many detailed scenes of this wonderful attraction.

I always try to ride it several times, too (WDW version). There is so much to see and hear - it becomes sensory overload on the first pass through!
Remember the Magic!
PrincePhillipFan
Anniversary Edition

Super Aurora wrote:Yo anyone got images of the stretching portraits from Phantom Manor? I read up that they are completely different paintings. I wanna see what these ones look like.

kAlso do they have places were they sell posters of sinister 11? Cause I'd really love to get a big poster of Opera glasses woman and hang it on my wall. I heard they have posters of the stretching portraits so wonder if Sinister 11 have them too.
These are the stretching portraits from Phantom Manor. You can see they all depict the ride's bride Melanie Ravenswood, as Phantom Manor in Paris's storyline is mostly all about Melanie and her struggle with the Phantom, and is much more melodramatic and serious than the Mansions in California, Florida, and Tokyo.

I don't think Disney has actually ever sold any prints of the Sinister 11 portraits. They only sell the attraction poster at WDW, and at DL they used to sell Marc Davis's concepts for the stretching portraits, and the after stage of the Panther Lady changing portrait.
Prince Charming 12 wrote:Prince Phillip Fan,

Thanks for the interesting history on the Haunted Manson. What are your source(s) for your in depth analysis of this attraction? I find it amazing that there are resources (Disney or non-Disney) available that detail back up singers, voice actors, etc. for the many detailed scenes of this wonderful attraction.

I always try to ride it several times, too (WDW version). There is so much to see and hear - it becomes sensory overload on the first pass through!
Thank you very much for the compliment Charming! I was worried most people would look past my post on the singers or just not care. :p I feel they really don't get the recognition or love they deserve.

I'm pretty much a sponge when it comes to information on the Mansion, lol. All of my publicity pictures, fan pictures, Imagineer concept sketches, and audio tracks and recording sessions for the mansion all come from my 8 years of collecting them from various Disney and non-Disney books, magazines, Haunted Mansion and Disney websites, the park CD, and unofficial Disney theme parks CDs.

The information I got on the singers just comes from my own labor of love. I'm a big fan of voice actors and studio singers from the golden age of them in the 40s-80s, and I feel many don't get the recognition they truly deserve. I managed to locate the names of the singers from a Persistence Of Visions magazine issue a few years ago which talked all about Buddy Baker's music for the mansion. I then went out myself scounging up any information I could find on them. I think my most helpful sources on tracking down who did what, was Mouse Tracks (a terrific book on the history of Walt Disney Records and mini-bios on many of the studio singers and voice actors for the label), and The Sounds Of Disneyland book which talked about the music and voices for each attraction. Most of the stuff I've discovered they have done outside for Disney I've gotten from the help of IMDb, websites dedicated to groups like the Pied Pipers and the Sportsmen and MGM vocalists, and actually Barnes and Noble's website. You can type in a name there and track down which singer sang on what album for which artist. So that's where pretty much how I gathered most of it.

And I agree that I love the Mansion because in a way it's so much like a sensory overload. That's what was one of the genius things that Walt believed in the parks for shows like Pirates and Mansion, is that there is so much little things you see each time, there's something new every time you ride it again.

And just for funsies if anyone wants to listen, here's a track of all the graveyard singers I listed above earlier and their individual isolated tracks in the graveyard. I think you can hear them a lot better and clearer than in the actual attraction. Just click on it below to listen

http://fs06n1.sendspace.com/dl/11365c65 ... ingers.mp3
-Tim
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

Thanks. Although Melanie look a lot like the girl on the tight rope. They aren't the same people are they?
PrincePhillipFan
Anniversary Edition

Nope, they're meant to be two completely different people. Melanie is an official name given to the Bride by Imagineers, and I've heard the tightrope girl at the mansion called Lily O'Malley Gracey, a name made by Haunted Mansion Cast Members in the Ghost Gallery book for her character.

Although Julie Svendson, who did the paintings for Phantom Manor, did say she used the design of Marc's concept for the tightrope girl as inspiration for her look in the stretching portraits, especially the waterfall one.
-Tim
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

Wow! Some of these images are rather frightening in their design! The bearded man portrait, in particular, must look very creepy in motion (if it exists at all).
ImageImageImageImage

Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

pap64 wrote:Wow! Some of these images are rather frightening in their design! The bearded man portrait, in particular, must look very creepy in motion (if it exists at all).
I take it you only been to DL not WDW?
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

Super Aurora wrote:
pap64 wrote:Wow! Some of these images are rather frightening in their design! The bearded man portrait, in particular, must look very creepy in motion (if it exists at all).
I take it you only been to DL not WDW?
I've never been to any of the parks. The travel is either too expensive or we don't have the time to plan a trip. I hope to save up for a trip someday.
ImageImageImageImage

PrincePhillipFan
Anniversary Edition

pap64 wrote:I've never been to any of the parks. The travel is either too expensive or we don't have the time to plan a trip. I hope to save up for a trip someday.
I hope you get to go to the parks one day, pap. The parks are truly an immersful experience, and simply Disney at it's best. I find it amazing too how so many people from animation came to work from the studios for WED Imagineering, and Walt finding their hidden talents - Marc Davis's character animation and designs for audio-animatronics figures and portraits, Claude Coats's ability in background design to be an atmospheric set designer and concept illustrator, Blaine Gibson as a sculptor, Yale Gracey and Rolly Crump as special effects and kinetics men, etc. To me the Haunted Mansion is pretty much an example of Imagineering at its peak, and was one of the last projects that Walt heavily supervised himself before he passed away.

Anyway, here are some more colleges I made myself a while, this time showcasing the two centerpiece scenes of the attraction - the Grand Hall and the Graveyard.

-Tim
Prince Charming 12
Gold Classic Collection

HAUNTED MANSION

The Grand Hall is probably my favorite scene. There is so much attention to detail in it and a great testament to the Imagineers' creative talents.

You mentioned that you purchased the park attraction's CD. What are your thoughts on it? I was thinking about purchasing it on my last visit, but I ended up choosing a couple of other CDs over it. After reading your posts, now I am regretting it! :lol: Your evaluation of it would be most helpful. Thanks.
Remember the Magic!
PrincePhillipFan
Anniversary Edition

I think the Haunted Mansion CD is a great find if you decide to pick it up. It has so much on it that satisifies an HM geek. :p These are the tracks

1) Disneyland's 10th Anniversary Special (Haunted Mansion Excerpt)
This is a brief 30 second snippet from the Disneyland Tencennial special, where Walt promises "We're going to bring ghosts from all over the world. And we're making it very attractive to them hoping they'll know to come and stay at Disneyland, so we're putting in wall-to-wall cobwebs, and we guarantee them creaking doors and creaking floors."

2) Ghostly Welcomes
This track is an unused welcome recorded by Eleanor Audley for the introduction of the Ghost Host, and includes Paul Frees speaking an alternate foyer and loading area narration. It also includes an unused alternate version of the foyer organ by Gaylord Carter (a famous silent movie organist that Buddy Baker used to perform the organ music in the attraction).

3) The Haunted Mansion
A full audio ride thru tour of Disneyland's Haunted Mansion.

4) Ghostly Additions From Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom
The Ghost Host narration additions for the library and music parlor scenes at Disney World's Mansion, with the music room piano in the background.

5) A Ghost Host In Japanese From Tokyo Disneyland
The Ghost Host narration in Japanese for the foyer and stretch room from Tokyo's Haunted Mansion.

6) The Genius Of Paul Frees
Various excerpts from the Paul Frees recording session for the Ghost Host with Marc Davis and X. Atencio overseeing it. It also includes an early unused take Paul tried in a Bela Lugosi impression, and then in a Peter Lorre voice. I have the audio of the full 30 minute recording session with Paul, Marc, and X. myself, so the 4 minute exercept on the CD was a bit of a disappointment, but it is interesting to hear the early Lugosi and Lorre impressions Frees did.

7) Otherworldly Music - Performed by Gaylord Carter
Unused organ music variations for the foyer and ballroom organ music played by Gaylord Carter.

8) Three Ghostly Voices
Exercepts from three different recording sessions. First is Eleanor Audley, recording unused takes for Little Leota and the Raven. Next is Pete Renoudet recording narration as the Ghost Host for the Story And Song From The Haunted Mansion album that was released in 1969 with the attraction's opening. And lastly Leota Toombs (who later did the voice of Little Leota), recording an unused early narration demo for Madame Leota.

9) Creaking Doors And Creaking Floors (Sound Effects)
A great track full of sound effects from the Mansion. This track includes the loading area music, wolf howl, creaking doors, the corridor of doors screams and sounds, the Attic Bride's heartbeat, the Caretaker's dog, the raven's squawks, the graveyard cats, and the graveyard band.

10) Radio Spots
Various radio advertisements that were used to promote the ride's opening. Lennie Weinrib does the voice as the "daring reporter" who interviews varies ghosts, while Frees lends his voice talents again as the Ghost Host, and characters Granny Ghoul, Phineas Pock, and Willie the Wisp.

11) Exit Spiels
A brief recording session with X. Atencio recording breakdown spiels and unused unloading area spiels.

So, in short, I would definitely say the Haunted Mansion CDs at the park are more than worth the price with the audio goodies it has on it. I have two copies of the CD, the original one released in 2000, and the 2006 reissue. The current version I just listed that's availabe at the parks now is the 2006 reissue. The only difference is that the 2000 version had a great 12 minute audio ride thru of Phantom Manor at Disneyland Paris, with Vincent Price's original narration as the Phantom. Hope the information helps you out. :)
-Tim
Prince Charming 12
Gold Classic Collection

PARK CD

Thanks Prince Phillip Fan, that was very helpful. I was surprised that the complete ride through track featured the DL version and not the WDW version. I remember watching Disneyland USA (Wave One Treasure Tin) -the Tenth Anniversary special- where Walt introduces the concept of the mansion and an invitation to all the ghosts to reside there. A neat promo.

I think I will pick up a copy on my next visit, as it would be a nice addition to my collection. Thanks again.
Remember the Magic!
PrincePhillipFan
Anniversary Edition

I know it's not the 9th yet for some people, but since it's past midnight here, I thought I would ring in and say...

HAPPY 40TH ANNIVERSARY HAUNTED MANSION!

Celebrating 40 years of hot and cold running chills and wall-to-wall creeps of many's favorite ghostly retreat. I hope you see many more, and I envy all those who will be able to attend the 40th celebration at Disneyland next month. :)

-Tim
dizfan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by dizfan »

Check out this great article at D23...
http://d23.disney.go.com/articles/07290 ... ineer.html
Nala
Anniversary Edition

Post by Nala »

Is the Haunted Mansion scary. I've been to DL twice and WDW once but haven't ever gone into the Haunted Mansion. In '87, we couldn't find it. When we were at WDW in September, the lineups were too long and same thing happened when we were at DL in December. We're going to WDW in December.
My Growing DVD Collection!

http://www.invelos.com/DVDCollection.aspx/Pocahontas

Disneyland Trips: 09/87, 12/08

Walt Disney World Trips: 09/08, 12/09, 06/11, 09/14

Knott's Berry Farm: 09/87, 12/08