PIXAR and EPCOT

All topics relating to Disney theme parks, resorts, and cruises.
slave2moonlight
Diamond Edition

PIXAR and EPCOT

Post by slave2moonlight »

My apologies if this has been done before, but because of a convo on a different webboard, I started thinking about PIXAR, their presence at the Disney parks, and the attempt that's been made to make EPCOT more kid-friendly...

Frankly, I will always miss the wonderful EPCOT of the '80's and early '90's. I feel FutureWorld has been altered for the worse rather than the better, including some of the changes I have heard about The Living Seas. It's been a while since my last visit, and I haven't seen some of the alterations, but some I have, and to me the new Future World just isn't as overwhelmingly intelligent and thoughtfully futuristic as it once was. Oh well. Having said that, I am not really against the adding of Nemo to the Living Seas, and wouldn't be against adding other PIXAR characters to Future World. In fact, I'd prefer it to a PIXAR-LAND in Disney Hollywood studios, though even that is better than the concept of a Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor in Tomorrowland. Some of that stuff makes no sense to me, and I wish Disney would be more true to its themes nowadays.

Anyway, as I said, I was thinking about incorporating more PIXAR into EPCOT's FutureWorld, and I think it works out pretty well, both with new and extinct attractions. Here's what I was thinking:

First, I don't want to bump Figment from the mascot position if he still holds it. I don't ever want Figment to go and I'd like Dreamfinder to come back, but another general FutureWorld mascot I wouldn't mind at all is Wall-E. I think he'd be perfect! I would definitely love to see some Wall-E and Eve added to the Land pavilion. If the boat ride is still there, that would be a good place to work him in (and bring the original song back, and the Wall-E song could be played in the pavilion as well). Wall-E and Eve could also be in the decor too. Think about the art during the film's end credits. I also could easily see the A Bug's Life characters worked into the Land.

Next, Mission Space. How about Mission Space with Buzz Lightyear of Star Command? I'd also like to see a much better than Disney Studios version of Pizza Planet put in, and that could be part of Mission Space or it could be that restaurant located with Spaceship Earth.

Test Track: This is an easy one to figure out. Cars. It would have worked for World of Motion too.

Apparently, Wonders of Life is going to be gone soon. I don't get it. I don't see how the subject matter of these pavilions isn't relevant anymore. They should just change the attractions in the pavilions, because they were each so different and inviting, and it was fun exploring them. I loved the pavilion format, and just a bunch of rides is going to make EPCOT look like Tomorrowland after a while. Anyway, let's imagine that they do just reopen a new and improved Wonders of Life pavilion, maybe renamed to more clearly focus on the human body/fitness. Well, that would make it a great place for superheroes like The Incredibles!

With Universe of Energy, well, isn't that what the characters in Monsters Inc. were trying to get going? A new energy source? Reinvent this attraction, move the Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor here as part of it, but also have the aspect that shows how we humans get our energy.

The Living Seas, well, it's a done deal. Nemo.

Now, let me throw in the wild card. Unless I'm flat out forgetting something (and I'm not bring up "Up", because I haven't seen it yet), I've only left out Ratatouille so far. Well, I doubt they want Remy in the Paris section of World Showcase. But what if he and his brothers took over giving us the history of communication on Spaceship Earth? I think it could work well. Of course, if you don't like that idea, we could bring Wall-E and Eve in for this one again too, but then we have to put the rats in the kitchen of "The Land", and I don't know how well that would go over.

Finally, the Imagination Pavilion. Of course, I'd prefer the original ride be restored. Besides that, they really should put in a Muppet Labs theme here if they are going to have Bunsen and Beaker riding around EPCOT in their cart, but also, this could be Woody's area (or maybe that old hands on area they used to have or maybe still have?), though overall I think I want this section to focus on Figment.

And that's about it. Of course, I prefer old EPCOT with it's original characters and lack of interest in matching things up with movies and so on, with just the occasional Fab Five character here and there, but that doesn't seem to be the route Disney wants to take anymore, so these are my suggestions. Of course, if they build a PIXARLAND, this will be overkill for me, but I think this would be the better idea. Any thoughts?
Nala
Anniversary Edition

Post by Nala »

Are you talking about the boat ride that takes you into the greenhouses and part of the ride is outside. There are different vegetation to be seen. If that boat ride is the one you're talking about, it's still there. We were at WDW in September and went on that boat ride if that's the one you mean.
Last edited by Nala on Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Growing DVD Collection!

http://www.invelos.com/DVDCollection.aspx/Pocahontas

Disneyland Trips: 09/87, 12/08

Walt Disney World Trips: 09/08, 12/09, 06/11, 09/14

Knott's Berry Farm: 09/87, 12/08
slave2moonlight
Diamond Edition

Yes, that's the one from "The Land". Glad to hear it is still there. I think removing the Listen to the Land theme song hurt that ride a lot (at least, they had removed it last time I was there in 2004). I think they should bring that song back and also the Wall-E song maybe (I'd have to hear it again, but definitely incorporate Wall-E and Eve into the ride here and there.
JEANYLASER
Gold Classic Collection

The Incredibles attraction

Post by JEANYLASER »

I love that idea to take the wonders of life and turned into the Incredibles attraction will be nice! and maybe the Incredibles ride as well!
JEANY SANCHEZ
WonderlandFever
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WonderlandFever »

They could definitely do something with The Land! Also Universe of Energy desperately needs an update
Daisy Duck
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Daisy Duck »

I think a few Pixar characters here and there at Epcot is fine, but I wouldn't want to see Pixar characters associated with every pavilion. Epcot would lose some of it world's fair feel and it would probably be "character overload". I like Nemo and Crush at the Living Seas and I could see the Cars characters somehow going into Test Track, especially if GM has to pull out sponsorship. But I don't think more Pixar characters are needed, just better attractions in general.

I'd rather see the return of the original Journey into Imagination ride. I really like the character of Figment and would want to keep him there and not add to or replace him with Pixar characters. The Land has always been my favorite pavilion. I love the boat ride and Soarin'. Don't mess with those. If anything, I just want the return of Kitchen Kabaret there!
slave2moonlight
Diamond Edition

Daisy Duck wrote:I think a few Pixar characters here and there at Epcot is fine, but I wouldn't want to see Pixar characters associated with every pavilion. Epcot would lose some of it world's fair feel and it would probably be "character overload". I like Nemo and Crush at the Living Seas and I could see the Cars characters somehow going into Test Track, especially if GM has to pull out sponsorship. But I don't think more Pixar characters are needed, just better attractions in general.

I'd rather see the return of the original Journey into Imagination ride. I really like the character of Figment and would want to keep him there and not add to or replace him with Pixar characters. The Land has always been my favorite pavilion. I love the boat ride and Soarin'. Don't mess with those. If anything, I just want the return of Kitchen Kabaret there!
I would love for EPCOT's Futureworld to go back to exactly how it was in the late '80's, early '90's myself, except with updates in the technology put on display or discussed. Unfortunately, it seems common knowledge that many visitors found it dull and too educational, and Disney is on a kick now that they need to dumb it down and also to add more kid-appeal, so I am under the impression that the additions of Nemo and the Three Caballeros are part of this attempt. I only offer these suggestions because I feel that changes are inevitable, and adding a PIXAR character to a great attraction is better than destroying it and putting up something inferior, as I feel they have done before. I agree with you about the Imagination ride though. What I really meant to suggest was that maybe Woody and a Toy Story theme or Woody's Round-up theme could be integrated into the hands-on area they once had (and maybe still do have) in an upstairs area (I believe) of the pavilion.

On the subject of the overall World's Fair feel of the park, I feel this has been lost greatly, particularly in Future World, with the loss of large, multi-subject (but one theme) pavilions in favor of rides like Test Track and Mission Space. Disney seems to feel that the World's Fair idea didn't work and they need to go more theme park with it. This is disappointing, but maybe more of the older but still relevant attractions can still be salvaged the way The Living Seas was by Nemo. I don't think it would do much harm to something like "Spaceship Earth" to spice it up a bit by making some popular Disney character, perhaps the very well-spoken Remy from Ratatouille, the narrator. Or maybe the live-action Buy N Large president from Wall-E if the rats just make more sense hosting a new Kitchen Cabaret type of show. And, yes, I would love to see the original Kitchen Cabaret return too, but I heard that it was removed because the food groups had been reworked into the food pyramid, or something. Food Rocks was an inferior show, then we had nothing. Why not a new show with Remy and the gang? And I think just sticking in Wall-E and Eve now and then would add just enough kid-appeal to The Land's boat ride without really altering it much. I love that ride, but some time back they had removed the original song, which just took so much of its charm away and actually made it rather dull. It needs something, and so does Spaceship Earth, to keep us from napping through those rides, yet that doesn't mean the rides themselves can't still be good and entertaining with the right flourishes added. After all, again, that's all they did with The Living Seas. Though, I agree that I don't want to feel bombarded by cartoon characters in EPCOT, but heck, it's not like they're not there already, both in the attractions and in meet 'n' greet form. In some cases, their integration into the attractions can be done very subtly. For example, with Cars I only meant perhaps some imagery here and there, perhaps in a showcase section of cars of tomorrow, like they once had (don't recall if they still have such an area). Or with the Incredibles, reopen Wonders of Life as a full-on pavilion again, but with the Incredibles as our hosts just the same way Sport Goofy was before, not overwhelmingly. And they could also have some sort of Incredibles attraction to replace Body Wars. As for Cranium Command, that should be brought back with a new show sequence filmed. Even make it a girl if you like, just to make it different. :) I still would like to see original characters here and there, and not everything have to do with PIXAR, but I think having a PIXAR host for each Future World pavilion is a good idea.
Daisy Duck
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Daisy Duck »

You have a lot of good ideas, Slave2moonlight. Yeah, if they couldn't bring back Kitchen Kabaret because of the new food pyramid, then the Ratatouille characters could add a fun attraction about food. Right now, there's that Lion King film about recycling which is a bit dull. Wall-e characters could also be incorporated to do something on environmental issues in that space.

I actually like Spaceship Earth as is, with Dame Judy Dench narrating. The last part of the ride where they place your picture in your chosen world of tomorrow is funny. I laughed so hard when I saw that. But maybe I'm in the minority of really liking the ride. :oops:

You're right about Disney making Epcot more appealing to kids, especially with the character greeting spots, the Kidcot activities and the Kim Possible game. I think those are great things. I do like that it's still a more "adult" park than the others, though.

I've never been to the Wonders of Life pavilion as it hasn't been open when I'm there. But I like your idea of incorporating the Incredibles characters in an attraction there. I'd be all for that.
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

The tie-in ideas are good, s2m, but I'd have to disagree with all of them. After all, not every attraction in the parks has to be tied to a Disney or Pixar film. And some were better before they became movie-ized (the original POTC for example, or Alien Encounter before they Stitch-ed it up). ;)

And Epcot just seems like the park that really shouldn't be as tied to the movies/franchises as the other parks. I mean, yeah, I do like some of the tie-ins (El Rio del Tiempo becoming Gran Fiesta Tour) but others seem done simply for marketing and merch opportunities than for the benefit of the attraction (The Seas with Nemo, though I do like Turtle Talk with Crush).

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
slave2moonlight
Diamond Edition

Escapay wrote:The tie-in ideas are good, s2m, but I'd have to disagree with all of them. After all, not every attraction in the parks has to be tied to a Disney or Pixar film. And some were better before they became movie-ized (the original POTC for example, or Alien Encounter before they Stitch-ed it up). ;)

And Epcot just seems like the park that really shouldn't be as tied to the movies/franchises as the other parks. I mean, yeah, I do like some of the tie-ins (El Rio del Tiempo becoming Gran Fiesta Tour) but others seem done simply for marketing and merch opportunities than for the benefit of the attraction (The Seas with Nemo, though I do like Turtle Talk with Crush).

albert
Don't get me wrong, I agree with you totally. I just am under the impression that this is a direction Disney is going in whether we want them to or not, so that is why I'm offering what I think are the best suggestions (and I'd have preferred tie-ins like these over new attractions that don't appeal to me replacing the old, great stuff). I think it's something that could work well if they are going to continue dumbing down EPCOT anyway and could be used as a way to save/restore some of their older but still relevant attractions/concepts. Plus, I'd rather see Monsters Inc.'s Laugh Floor at a new EPCOT Energy Pavilion than Tomorrowland. A fully realized PIZZA Planet would just rock too. Besides, right now they just have this one random PIXAR subject in FutureWorld (Nemo). At least the section would feel unified again with the consistent PIXAR theme. To me, it is totally mixed up now with the old attractions and the new ones, and the old ones are still better than the new ones...
Prince Charming 12
Gold Classic Collection

Epcot

Post by Prince Charming 12 »

I am not in favor of every attraction having a movie based theme either and I do not think the Imagineers have "dumb down" the park. For example, Test Track and Mission:Space were huge improvements over their predecessors.

For instance, Test Track demonstrates the quality testing phase of automobile production in a thrilling ride and Mission: Space has many interesting exhibits about the space program and a neat opportunity to "enlist" for a misson. I think both of these attractions offer educational experiences for most ages and present them in a fun format that blends learning and entertaiment rather nicely.

I understand your affinity for nostalgia, which has it's place at WDW, but do not put it ahead of advancement!
Remember the Magic!
slave2moonlight
Diamond Edition

Re: Epcot

Prince Charming 12 wrote:I am not in favor of every attraction having a movie based theme either and I do not think the Imagineers have "dumb down" the park. For example, Test Track and Mission:Space were huge improvements over their predecessors.

For instance, Test Track demonstrates the quality testing phase of automobile production in a thrilling ride and Mission: Space has many interesting exhibits about the space program and a neat opportunity to "enlist" for a misson. I think both of these attractions offer educational experiences for most ages and present them in a fun format that blends learning and entertaiment rather nicely.

I understand your affinity for nostalgia, which has it's place at WDW, but do not put it ahead of advancement!
Oy. I've explained before that it's not about nostalgia. I'm all for advancement, but I also believe if it ain't broke, don't fix it (the original Figment ride is a great example), and in my opinion, the attractions that existed before Test Track and Mission Space were far more appealing and had the futurist angle Future World was all about, something stuff like Test Track lacks. Frankly, I drive a long way to get to Disney World, and I don't need attractions that simulate the driving experience, nor the test driving experience. It's FutureWorld, not Industryland. And I must say, that's the first time I've heard it described as a "thrilling ride". And Horizons was all about advancement, a sort of "Beyond the Carousel of Progress" attraction, and far more enjoyable and inspiring to me than an attraction about the Space Program, something most of America hardly seems interested in anymore.

And, like I said, I'm not against redoing or replacing old attractions if you keep the aspects about them that still "work" today, or at least the themes which worked so well to tie the park together. And by themes, I don't mean theme songs, but yeah, those too. The theme songs added something to each of the attractions, and all they decided to do was remove them, not replace them (at least, based on my last visits), and how is that progress? But putting that aside, as I've said in other threads, it is NOT being nostalgic to want the park to be as good as it once was and maintain a certain quality level, focus, and theme. Take "Wonders of Life" (or any of the original FutureWorld pavilions). Eliminating this pavilion isn't advancement, especially when the replacement will likely be as uninspired as Test Track and Mission Space. The topic of the pavilion wasn't suddenly irrelevant to today. It's not a nostalgia thing. Change what's inside the pavilion if you want to stay current with the attractions, but why lose the great theming the park already had? Right now, FutureWorld feels like two different parks, and the older stuff is the more entertaining/enjoyable, though weakened by the removal of the upbeat music. I'm not against new attractions, I just don't feel they should replace entire pavilion themes and feel they should keep inline with the futurist theme of FutureWorld, which I don't get from Mission Space and especially from Test Track. And I think it was better when all the pavilions felt more unified than they do today. It just all lacks congruency to me now. The main reason I suggest more PIXAR theming is because it would help tie Future World together with a consistent theme (Educational attractions hosted by PIXAR characters), and because it's a little odd to only have one such attraction. I mean, seriously. Plus, pavilion style is just more appealing, in my opinion, than the specific ride focused style of the new stuff. That makes it feel like any old theme park to me, and frankly, I don't like non-Disney theme parks. As much as I love Disney World, I tend to hate other theme parks. And I sincerely hate that the futurist aspect of Future World is disappearing. I would rather see them maintain the theme of educational attractions (pavilion style) with a futurist angle tying them all together. Without that (and I have heard of the plans to fully drop the futurist angle, which perhaps they ARE moving towards one attraction at a time), it just isn't as interesting and is plain old educational... This is the main reason I prefer the old attractions to the new, not really nostalgia. Basically, they want to replace FutureWorld with Discovery World, or something like that (I believe the planned title was something like that), and that's what I'm opposed to and what the new stuff represents. To me, this is just plain dull in comparison. My PIXAR suggestions are only to make that boring new direction they still seem to be taking just a little more fun and interesting, and unified. And after all, they started it (with Nemo).
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Daisy Duck wrote:Right now, there's that Lion King film about recycling which is a bit awesome.
Fixed. ;)
Daisy Duck
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Daisy Duck »

Luke wrote:
Daisy Duck wrote:Right now, there's that Lion King film about recycling which is a bit awesome.
Fixed. ;)
Sorry, Luke. I didn't realize you were such a fan of that film. :) I saw it last year, but I didn't find it entertaining enough to want to see it again when I was at Epcot last month. I love the Lion King characters and I'm all for saving the environment, though! So I'll give it another view the next time I'm there since you think it's so awesome. :wink:
slave2moonlight
Diamond Edition

Daisy Duck wrote:
Luke wrote: Fixed. ;)
Sorry, Luke. I didn't realize you were such a fan of that film. :) I saw it last year, but I didn't find it entertaining enough to want to see it again when I was at Epcot last month. I love the Lion King characters and I'm all for saving the environment, though! So I'll give it another view the next time I'm there since you think it's so awesome. :wink:
Once you see a film like that, it sometimes seems hard to rationalize spending theme park time seeing it again on a further visit (though if I can spare the time I still like too). Really do wish that theme park films would get DVD releases when they are no longer being shown in theme parks. Disney could surely make a DVD with multiple extinct theme park films on it by now.
Daisy Duck
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Daisy Duck »

I don't think this was mentioned before, but I just read that Remy can now be seen in France at the World Showcase. As reported here: http://www.allears.net/tp/ep/ep.htm
Ratatouille Remy -- As of March 9, guests who dine at Les Chefs de France restaurant are being treated to a unique kind of entertainment, allowing them to meet the culinary rat Remy, from the movie Ratatouille. Remy is an Audio-Animatronics puppet who, along with the restaurant maitre d' (a comedic actor), engages guests by performing a series of humorous, theatrical vignettes, using a moving food cart with a silver-domed cheese platter as their stage.Remy can be seen 12:30 - 6 p.m. at Les Chefs de France through September 5, 2009.
Unfortunately, it sounds like it's only for a limited time, but I think it would be fun to see.
slave2moonlight
Diamond Edition

Thanks for posting about Remy! Seeing videos of him on YouTube is so cool! I love their new Living Character Initiative! I hope they keep progressing with it, and one day we will be able to see/meet/hug more accurate, 3 ft versions of Mickey, Donald, and so on! I do think Remy would be cooler if he actually talked rather than squeaked, and if he moved a bit better, but still very cool! I also saw a vid of their Wall-E on YouTube, who is like RIGHT OUT OF THE MOVIE! And, of course, we all know about Bunsen and Honeydew in the Muppet Mobile Lab by now. I want to see this stuff in person so bad, but my last trip was 2004! Hope they do more like these!!!!
Daisy Duck
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Daisy Duck »

I just checked out Remy on YouTube, too. That would definitely be fun to see in person! I think it's OK that he just squeaks and doesn't talk, since in the movie the humans could only hear him squeak.
slave2moonlight
Diamond Edition

Daisy Duck wrote:I just checked out Remy on YouTube, too. That would definitely be fun to see in person! I think it's OK that he just squeaks and doesn't talk, since in the movie the humans could only hear him squeak.
Yeah, people have been telling me that same thing, and I know, but I just think it would add to the interaction/entertainment value if he talked as fluently as he did in the movie. More complicated to do though, I'm sure, since his mouth would have to move and all...