Treasure Planet Appreciation Thread

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
slyslayer3000
Gold Classic Collection

Post by slyslayer3000 »

Treasure Planet's animation is absolutely brilliant. BUT something's missing in the plot, which makes it one of Disney's weak and underrated films. I myself, loved the film but I think it's still mediocre.
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

The premiere of Disney's Treasure Planet is only 2 days away. So get ready to stay home and watch. Unfortunately I am going to a party. Fortunately, I have DVR, so I'm taping. Remember 2 days left.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
Harbinger
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Harbinger »

I've never really watched Treasure Planet. The previews were terrible. But since I hear it is in fact a good movie, I'll watch it for the first time on friday. :)
jediliz
Special Edition

Post by jediliz »

I thought it was a good movie. In fact, not long after I rented it, I started looking for it on DVD. Cheapest I saw was $19.95. Most expensive, over $20 (like $25).

I'm at my sister's house so I don't know if I'll get to watch the premiere friday (however, Disney is like the ONLY channel that's ever on the television here). I did set my VCR to record it. That will be a backup copy until I can buy the DVD.
Disney Channel died when they stopped airing movies with Haley mills (Parent Trap and Pollyanna) and fun adventure movies like Swiss Family Robinson. R.I.P. the REAL Disney Channel. Date of Death: When the shows became teenie bopperish.
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Only 1 day left! :D I have everything set to tape the 3 things that I wanted to tape. Anyway, I too don't have the DVD, but am really truly hoping that a 2-discer will come out. Since it wasn't very "successful", it probably won't get one, and I'm just getting my hopes up for nothing. See ya, after the movie I will be happy.
Fidget1234
Special Edition

Post by Fidget1234 »

it's a pretty underrated movie. It doesnt rank up there w/ the classics like Snow, Cindy, Peter Pan, Pinoke, or the 4 block busters of the late 80s/early 90s...but its def worth seeing/owning. A new sci-fi twist on a great classic.
"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin"
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

I just finished watching Disney's Treasure Planet, and I just have one word to say: Magnificent!

The Visual Effects: Totally awesome. I especially liked Silver's right arm, and eye, and B.E.N. The ships and sails, and "the loot of a thousand worlds!" I think it's a thousand, looked great. The treasure and where it was was brilliantly done by CGI, and I think that without CGI, everything in the movie wouldn't be the same.

The Characters: Superb, especially Morph, Jim, Silver, and that Doctor guy. The stunning collaboration between CGI, and 2D animation was brilliantly done with Silver, props to Glen Keane! All of the characters looked great, so props to all of the animators, and clean-up artists!

Story/Plot: I love how it is similar to the book, but with futuristic aliens, and flying ships. I liked how everthing flowed, and the way the story unfolded into one thing after another.

Music: The music really brought everything to life between the characters, story, and the mood all together. I loved the one original song, can't think of it right now, but it set a great tone to the story.

I loved this movie Disney, wish it wasn't as underrated as it is. A++ :D
Loomis
Signature Collection
Location: Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Post by Loomis »

I think time is going to tell on this one.

It does what Disney does best: takes an existing well-known story and puts its own spin on it. When you think about it, this is what they have done with everything from Snow White to Chicken Little. To set the pirate tale in space is a logical step is a dream scenario on paper, and why it failed to connect with audiences - which may be partly blamed on half-hearted marketing - is beyond me.

The animation itself is up there with the best that Disney has done. The traditional and CG elements combine perfectly, and I really think we are seeing some 'new' for the first time in years from the House of Mouse.

Plus it had a solid story at its heart. The father-son stuff is done really well.
Behind the Panels - Comic book news, reviews and podcast
The Reel Bits - All things film
Twitter - Follow me on Twitter
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

Does anyone think Treasure Planet is becoming the next Sleeping Beauty? The 1959 fairy tale classic wasn't successful at first, yet over time, got more and more acclaimed, getting to the point where people group it along with the likes of Pinocchio and Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs? Treasure Planet was a flop, yet seems to be getting more and more of a fan base as time goes by.

By the way, did anyone not like Treasure Planet first time round and like it on second viewing? I didn't like it when I saw it during Christmas 2004, but I was wondering if it was worth watching again to try and like it.
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Wonderlicious wrote:........but I was wondering if it was worth watching again to try and like it.
I think that it is worth watching it again and trying to like it. This was sort of my first viewing, because I don't really remember anything about it now, but I do remember seeing it once, but don't remember what happened. I liked it, but that's just IMO. I think you should try again, and if the second time you don't like it, just forget about it. Well forget about tring to like it, not forget about the movie itself. :D
coolinout1

Post by coolinout1 »

Chernabog_Rocks wrote:I loved Treasure Planet, especially Morph, one of the main reasons why I love it so much is because it's underappreciated.
I agree. I watched "Treasure Planet" as a rental because I didn't think much of it when it was in theaters (plus the fact that it was considered another disappointment for Disney) and I was pleasantly surprised that I enjoyed it very much. I was about 17-18 around the time it came out so I was able to relate to it (compared to being 12-13 and watching "Mulan" in theaters).

Morph's become one of my favorite Disney characters because not that many people (outside of the ones who still watch Disney movies) know who he is. Most of them look at the Morph plush I have and think he's a fish.

Okay, that's all I've got to say about "Treasure Planet".
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

I also really enjoy this film and i think that it was very nicely done. It's downfall was definately that it wasn't what people were expecting from Disney. I've often wondered if Dreamworks would've released this, whether it would've done better.

I think that this movie, like The Black Cauldron and some others, will grow more popular with time.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

There were only three things I didn't like about this movie: 1. The comedic characters (excluding Morph). 2. The bad mix of computer and traditional animation. 3. The aliens were kind of stupid in concept almost all of the time.

Besides that, I loved it.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

I love Treasure Planet! I've only watched the movie twice, but both times, I loved it. I thought that this movie brought some "Disney Magic" back to the screen, even though the Box Office seemed to disagree with my statement. Over time, I think that Treasure Planet will gain the recognition it deserves! :D
slyslayer3000
Gold Classic Collection

Post by slyslayer3000 »

As I can see, Treasure Planet is one of Disney's underrated animated classics. The movie itself is far from perfect unlike its successful predecessors (Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King).
The Little Mermaid and Aladdin has more sparkling Disney magic unlike this, despite being directed by the same people. But hey, this movie isn't one of the worse. Maybe just mediocre or above average. It's not one of my favorites but it still have some positive sides. One is the brilliant animation. The wonderful combination of hand-drawn and computer animation is just dazzling and beautiful to watch. Also, the plot is simple yet clever, filled with non-stop action and adventure.
Treasure Planet have done poorly in the box office, but worthwhile to watch again and again. It's not Disney's best, but it's a perfect entertainment for everyone.
Stinky Pete
Limited Issue

Post by Stinky Pete »

I too enjoy Treasure Planet. It gets better each time you watch it. For all nay-sayers, give it another chance. Follow the Treasure Island storyline in space. It doesn't get any better.

Morph rocks!!
...and so you two are absolutely identical? You know I'm sure I can get you a part in Toy Story 3... I'm sorry. Are we back? All right girls...lovely talking to you.

Outtakes from Toy Story 2
Finchx0rz
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Finchx0rz »

I didn't take much notice of Treasure Planet when it was released. In my eyes, Disney's post-<em>Hunchback</em> movies were hit-or-miss and I didn't want to drag myself to the movies and spend $10+. I watched it for the first time when it was shown on the Disney Channel a few weeks ago and I was so impressed I started scouring the DVD auctions on eBay the following morning.
<a href="http://www.justfuckinggoogleit.com/" target="_blank">Got a question? Ask Google first.</a>
Raowenblackbird

Post by Raowenblackbird »

Oh man I adore treasure planet! I honestly think it get's so little credit for being such an amazing film! Not only is the music fabulous the animation itself it phenominal and the characters are amazing in themselves. I, being the sci-fi nerd that I am, adore this movie. It kind of reminds me of Titan A.E., where they are both just so magnificent works but both get such little credit. I wish more people appreciated Treasure Planet.
CampbellzSoup
Anniversary Edition

Treasure Planet: The Black Sheep of Modern Classics.

Post by CampbellzSoup »

I still haven't gotten a chance to see the film, but having discussed with Adam on here he says it 's a very good film comparable to Hercules since that's my favorite Disney film.

How could you go wrong with Clements and Musker? Did they lose their charm for this film.

I'm going to give this a chance as I love all modern classics from the 90's era up to Tarzan
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

I read somewhere that Treasure Planet had always been Musker and Clement's dream project. They had always wanted to make it, but they *had* to do Hercules first before Disney would let them. Which makes me feel bad for them that the film flopped. I haven't seen the film in its entirety, but what I've seen I don't like. The CG animation is very badly integrated with the 2D animation. I think it would have looked much better if they had just done everything in 2D. The film, from what I've seen of it, looks moe like a computer game than a movie, to me.