Predict/Discuss Possible Special Editions...

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
The_Iceflash
Anniversary Edition

Predict/Discuss Possible Special Editions...

Post by The_Iceflash »

We know Oliver & Company, Lilo and Stitch, etc are getting special editions this year. Do any of you have any strong predictions or wish any particular "Special Editions" may be announced and released this year? (This thread is not for the discussion of platinum editions or already announced/released special editions.)
Last edited by The_Iceflash on Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

1.You might want to shorten the title of your topic.
2.Please use the search engine before Escapay gets angry.
The_Iceflash
Anniversary Edition

Post by The_Iceflash »

PixarFan2006 wrote:1.You might want to shorten the title of your topic.
2.Please use the search engine before Escapay gets angry.
1. I fixed it. (I posted this fast and then logged off)
2. I have and didn't see any threads in existence about predicting what other special editions will come out this year.
tlc38tlc38
Special Edition

Post by tlc38tlc38 »

This is not really a prediction but I'd love to see The Black Cauldron, Hunchback, Hercules, The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad, & Fun and Fancy Free get special editions!
Walmart: the perfect place to shop for a headache at a discount price.
Jack Skellington
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jack Skellington »

tlc38tlc38 wrote:This is not really a prediction but I'd love to see The Black Cauldron, Hunchback, Hercules, The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad, & Fun and Fancy Free get special editions!
Me 2 !

I love the fact that you and I have a lot in common. :)
Neal
Anniversary Edition

Post by Neal »

I'm willing to bet "The Black Cauldron" will see a special edition this year. The image/article in the Thai magazine was enough proof for me.
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

Here are mine:

-Who Framed Roger Rabbit (20th AE. Release under the Disney Label. Also on Blu-Ray)
-A Bug's Life (10th AE)
-The Witch Mountain Collection (3 Films and the '95 Remake with new transfers, and loaded with old and new extras. First film for Blu-Ray)
-Stich!: The Movie (SE)
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

You know something?

I am actually shocked that Robin Hood, Sword in the Stone, Aristocats, etc. were lucky enough that they were considered for special edition treatment.
4 Disney Atmosphere Images
disneyfella
Anniversary Edition

Post by disneyfella »

I doubt that The Black Cauldron release will have little more than a 5 minute Electronic Press Kit featurette that reveals little about the film or the behind the scenes at all. My guess is that everything else from the GC release will be ported over (except maybe the game.....but I'll bet it STILL gets ported over).

Also, the Witch Mountain films (the first two) ARE getting special editions. However, I think they are merely re-releases of the pretty solid single disc special edition released years ago.

My picks for what might actually and potentially get a special edition treatment this year? Hmmmm........Maybe.....

Pete's Dragon
Prince Caspian (extended cut)

My picks for what I wish would get a special edition treatment? Hmmmm.......if I can't pick 'everything'........Maybe.......

The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad - a REAL special edition, not just a re-release with a 15 minute doc. I want some solid few hours of bonus material!

The Moon Spinners - See above...and in it's 1.85:1 aspect ratio!

The Happiest Millionaire - See above

Candleshoe - See above

The Journey of Natty Gann - See above....and in it's 2.35:1 aspect ratio!

Night Crossing - See above....and in it's 1.75:1 aspect ratio!!!!

Baby...Secret of the Lost Legend - See above....and in it's 2.35:1 aspect ratio!

Never Cry Wolf - See above...a highly under appreciated cinematic masterpiece!

Homward Bound - See Above....and in it's original theatrical aspect ratio!

Return to Oz - See Above

Last but certianly NOT least:

WATCHER IN THE WOODS!!! - with 3 versions of the film. 1) the uncut version shown only to preview audiences before it got yanked from the screen and in it's 1.75:1 aspect ratio! 2) the re-edited more widely seen release. and 3) the 're-cobbled' fan edit with the pieced together alternate ending added on (I know this third version is overkill, but that's the type of special edition I'm talking about). Plus maybe a 2 hour doc called, "The Battle for Watcher in the Woods" a la The Battle for Brazil :lol: . Plus all the other extras ported over from the highly superior Anchor Bay release
"It's Kind Of Fun To Do The Impossible"
- Walt Disney

disneyfella
Anniversary Edition

Post by disneyfella »

OOOOOoooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I just thought of some awesome other possible special editions:)

Ernest Goes to Camp: Special Edition

Three Men and a Baby: Special Edition

huh? HUH?!
- Walt Disney

Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

Lazario wrote:You know something?

I am actually shocked that Robin Hood, Sword in the Stone, Aristocats, etc. were lucky enough that they were considered for special edition treatment.
I wouldn't call any of those editions 'special'. What was special about them? The carton sleeve?

I want a good special eition. Not even necessarily 2-disc. Just give me a worthy 'Making of' and/or audio commentary. Most of all, I want a decent special edition of The Rescuers!
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

If "The Black Cauldron" gets a R1 anamorphic release, I'll take that for now. I mean, who wouldn't want a super-deluxe DVD uncut edition, but let's face it, not anytime in the near future.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
tlc38tlc38
Special Edition

Post by tlc38tlc38 »

Based on what we got in 2008, I think what has already been announced is probably all we're going to get in 2009. This is only counting the Disney animated classics.

2008:
The Aristocats (Feb. 5, 2008)
101 Dalmatians (Mar. 4, 2008)
Saludos Amigos/The Three Caballeros (Apr. 29, 2008)
The Sword in the Stone (Jun. 17, 2008)
Sleeping Beauty (Oct. 7, 2008) (also on Blu-ray)

Announced for 2009:
Oliver & Company (Feb. 3, 2009)
Pinocchio (Mar. 10, 2009) (also on Blu-ray)
Bolt (Mar. 24, 2009) (also on Blu-ray)
Lilo & Stitch (Mar. 24, 2009)
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (Oct. 6, 2009) (also on Blu-ray)

Announced non-animated animated classics for 2009:
Mary Poppins (Jan. 27, 2009)
A Bug's Life (unknown release date) (also on Blu-ray)
Monsters, Inc. (unknown release date) (also on Blu-ray)

Announced so far for 2010:
Fantasia (Mar. 2, 2010) (also on Blu-ray)
Fantasia 2000 (Mar. 2, 2010) (also on Blu-ray)
Beauty and the Beast (Oct. 5, 2010) (also on Blu-ray)

Movies I wish would be re-released in 2009 and/or 2010 on DVD and Blu-ray:
Dumbo (my favorite DAC and the "Big Top" release was very poor...2011 will be the 70th anniversary)
Make Mine Music (2011 will be the 65th anniversary)
Fun and Fancy Free (2012 will be the 65th anniversary)
Melody Time (2008 was the 60th anniversary)
The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad (2009 will be the 60th anniversary)
The Rescuers (2012 will be the 35th anniversary)
The Great Mouse Detective (2011 will be the 25th anniversary)
The Rescuers Down Under (2010 will be the 20th anniversary)
The Hunchback of Notre Dame (2011 will be the 15th anniversary)
Hercules (2012 will be the 15th anniversary)
Last edited by tlc38tlc38 on Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:38 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

Disneyfella, the new editions of the Witch Mountain films will include new trivia track viewing options for each. Same for 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

I'm guessing will see more live-action repackagings later this year, plus the likely Black Cauldron 25th Anniversary-ya-we-know-it's-early-but-what-are-you-going-to-do-about-it? Edition. As for any other DAC this year, my guess will be a 60th anniversary edition for Ichabod and Mr. Toad on par with other recent 1 disc "special" editions.
tlc38tlc38
Special Edition

Post by tlc38tlc38 »

Flanger-Hanger wrote:Disneyfella, the new editions of the Witch Mountain films will include new trivia track viewing options for each. Same for 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

I'm guessing will see more live-action repackagings later this year, plus the likely Black Cauldron 25th Anniversary-ya-we-know-it's-early-but-what-are-you-going-to-do-about-it? Edition. As for any other DAC this year, my guess will be a 60th anniversary edition for Ichabod and Mr. Toad on par with other recent 1 disc "special" editions.
If "Ichabod" is released, I'd say it will probably be around October for Halloween.
disneyfella
Anniversary Edition

Post by disneyfella »

Flanger-Hanger wrote:I'm guessing will see more live-action repackagings later this year, plus the likely Black Cauldron 25th Anniversary-ya-we-know-it's-early-but-what-are-you-going-to-do-about-it? Edition.
Maybe an Apple Dumpling Gang repackage? AGAIN :? If they do it, they better release "Apple Dumpling Gang Rides Again" in the original theatrical aspect ratio, and put as much love and care into it as they did on the first one's DVD. Wait.....this is Disney......they won't :roll: So sad the way people talk about Disney DVDs these days......no one expects anything from them.
- Walt Disney

DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

SpringHeelJack wrote:If "The Black Cauldron" gets a R1 anamorphic release, I'll take that for now. I mean, who wouldn't want a super-deluxe DVD uncut edition, but let's face it, not anytime in the near future.
An uncut version is ONE of the things I'm hoping for! :D
tlc38tlc38
Special Edition

Post by tlc38tlc38 »

DisneyJedi wrote:
SpringHeelJack wrote:If "The Black Cauldron" gets a R1 anamorphic release, I'll take that for now. I mean, who wouldn't want a super-deluxe DVD uncut edition, but let's face it, not anytime in the near future.
An uncut version is ONE of the things I'm hoping for! :D
I honestly don't think we'll get an uncut version...ever. If aything we MIGHT get the deleted scenes as bonus features included on the release, but I don't think they'll be re-edited into the film.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

tlc38tlc38 wrote:
DisneyJedi wrote: An uncut version is ONE of the things I'm hoping for! :D
I honestly don't think we'll get an uncut version...ever. If aything we MIGHT get the deleted scenes as bonus features included on the release, but I don't think they'll be re-edited into the film.
If we can't have the deleted scenes added BACK into the movie, then having the deleted scenes as bonus features would most definitely be the next best thing. :)

BTW, if you guys want to see The Black Cauldron deleted scenes released any time soon.... BADLY...... then feel free to sign the petition. :wink:

http://www.petitiononline.com/2288756x/petition.html
JDCB1986
Gold Classic Collection

Post by JDCB1986 »

I've been seeing a lot of copies of Hercules on store shelves with low price tags. They could be trying to get rid of what stock they have in preparation for a re-release soon. If not this year, maybe early next.

Also I've been seeing a lot of the package films out lately... I think it's likely that we'll see another 2 pack (like the SA/TC set last year.)