Avalon High

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Avalon High

Post by blackcauldron85 »

tommy2.net says:

Work has already begun on a Disney Channel Original Movie based on Meg Cabot’s (Princess Diaries) popular novel Avalon High.

Here's the Wikipedia page of the book, if you want to know plot information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avalon_High

I don't have any information other than what those 2 websites have, but we'll be hearing more about this sometime in the future.

The plot summary on Wikipedia, though, is hurting my brain...It could be because it's early, or that it really is that confusing.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Hmm... I've never read Meg Cabot and when I opened this thread I thought it was Gail Carson Levine who wrote the books...

Certainly sounds pretty dark for a DCOM, but it's likely to get watered down. It does sound intriguing, though. Can't wait to see it.

By the way, am I only the one who's surprised Cabot sold the movie rights, and to all studios, Disney? I've heard that in the "Princess Diaries" books published since the 2001 and 2004 movies she's taken stabs at the PD movies.
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Post by PeterPanfan »

The Princess Diaries books were EXTREMELY different than the movies. The second film was not based off of any books, either. Disney just made it up.
Thomas J
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Thomas J »

I wish Disney made a Princess Diaries 3. The first two are my favorite non-animated movies by Disney.
Disney on Broadway:
Beauty and the Beast - December 2, 2006
The Lion King - February 28, 2007 & February 16, 2008
The Little Mermaid - December 12, 2007, December 22, 2007 & January 7, 2009
Mary Poppins - February 1, 2009
Joshrzmeup
Special Edition

Post by Joshrzmeup »

UmbrellaFish wrote:Hmm... I've never read Meg Cabot and when I opened this thread I thought it was Gail Carson Levine who wrote the books...

Certainly sounds pretty dark for a DCOM, but it's likely to get watered down. It does sound intriguing, though. Can't wait to see it.

By the way, am I only the one who's surprised Cabot sold the movie rights, and to all studios, Disney? I've heard that in the "Princess Diaries" books published since the 2001 and 2004 movies she's taken stabs at the PD movies.
It was only in one book, that I can recall, that it was made fun of, and only in brief. And the book really isn't THAT different from the movie, but unless the author wants to get paid next to nothing for the rights, they don't have control over it. See Ice Princess as an example. Meg wrote the screenplay, but then Disney almost completely changed it when they had someone else re-write her version.

Avalon High really isn't that confusing if you read the book. All it is is a modern-day King Arthur story. That's it.
User formerly known as LizzieMcGuire Image
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

It was only in one book, that I can recall, that it was made fun of, and only in brief. And the book really isn't THAT different from the movie
I'll take your word for it. :) But I have read a few examples of those jabs. There were at least three, and the article made it seem like it was a running joke. It's quite possible those were just Wikipedia crap, though.

However you are the first person (who's read the books) I've ever met who's said that the movie and the book aren't that different. Maybe it's just in the details, I guess.
PrincePhillipFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by PrincePhillipFan »

I haven't heard of either this upcoming movie or the book, but now I'm intrigued. I love learning about both the medieval ages and the Arthurian legend, and any variations on it. I might have to pick this up and give it a read before the movie airs.
-Tim
Joshrzmeup
Special Edition

Post by Joshrzmeup »

From Meg Cabot herself (via her blog)

Disney is currently holding auditions for AVALON HIGH: THE MOVIE

Answer:
This rumor is FALSE. Numerous web pages such as this one linking to credible looking industry sites claim that Disney is holding a casting call for AVALON HIGH: THE MOVIE. I have received many excited emails from actors and actresses and even agents asking for more details. Here is the truth straight from the producer himself:

“THERE IS NO CASTING CALL FOR THIS MOVIE. We are awaiting the first draft of the script by the new writer. We are not in prep on the show yet.”

This casting call is a vile RUMOR. Please disregard.
User formerly known as LizzieMcGuire Image
blackcauldron85

Production has begun on the Disney Channel Original Movie "Avalon High"
http://www.laughingplace.com/News-ID10038380.asp
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

So THAT'S why Gregg Sulkin was on "Wizards of Waverly Place"...he's going to be in Avalon High. TBH, I'm not surprised. Disney Channel reuses their actors more often than our family reuses water bottles.

On the plus side, Sulkin can actually act (anyone who's seen Sixty Six will agree with me). Some of the rest of the cast sounds totally unfamiliar, though I'm glad to see Molly Quinn is included. She's great on "Castle". And at least there's Steve Valentine. I still can't believe the guy's resume went from "Crossing Jordan" to "I'm in the Band" but so long as he's acting, that's surely got to be a good thing.

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
blackcauldron85

Trailer for Disney Channel Original Movie Avalon High
http://www.laughingplace.com/Latest-ID-75520.asp

I have mixed feelings just based on the trailer...it's a different kind of DCOM, more epic, I guess; other DCOMS have had magic, but not in a while (except for WoWP, which I haven't seen yet)...