What TV show has made you cry?

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
NarniaDis
Special Edition

Post by NarniaDis »

The West Wing: The Episode that aired right after John "Leo MacGarry" Spencer Died last december. of Course next week when they have his funeral, I'll probably ball my eyes out.

...Several Touched By An Angel episodes... also the episode of Little House when the Blind school burns down and the baby dies.

NarniaDis
Im a riding on cloud Nine.
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

Damn you, Mark Schwahn. Damn you, "One Tree Hill". "Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly." made me cry tonight. And not the annoying blubbery hiccups and sniffles cry. It was the more powerful "I'm letting the tears come and I won't bother rubbing them away while I suddenly find it harder to breathe or say anything without choking up" cry.

Why the hell do you have to write such emotional television?

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

Funny enough, I don't watch that much TV. Most of the programs fail to capture my interest, and those that do are comedic shows.

But there was one Japanese Drama that had me crying at two points. The show was "Densha Otoko". You can read my summary on my "Favorite Love Story" thread if you are interested.

At the time that I watched the series I was suffering a depression caused by many events in the family, including my father's prostate cancer. A friend of mine sent me the series to watch as he felt its the perfect thing to watch when you are down.

He was right. Its a corny series but one that is fun to watch. I laughed through many of its episodes. However, there were two occasions that had me crying real hard because of how profound the emotions were.

In the first one the main character Densha sets out to give Hermes a present. But before he does he starts a monologue thanking his friends for giving him the advice and courage to move on. I cried a lot during this scene because his feelings reflected that of my own. During a very dark point in my life my friend was there to give me courage and advice and told me to not give up. His influence shall be with me forever and I thank him dearly for it. So Densha's speech caught me and didn't let go.

In the second one Densha is invited to a dinner with Hermes and her family. Her mother is going through a painful divorce and the father arrives to sign the papers. But their pride is making things harder and Hermes is emotionally destroyed. Just before he leaves Densha starts another monologue, this time about parents and their children. He starts talking about his own parents aren't perfect but are happy with each other. It was a good monologue but what really got me crying like an idiot was this line...

"I guess, all children want their parents to be happy"

That did it. When I watched the series my parents were very unhappy and their marriage was almost destroyed. Everyday I wish they would just forget everything and be happy once more. So you can understand why that line got me in tears.

There have been series that had me laughing to the point of tears, but the one that did this most often was Mystery Science Theater 3000". These are the episodes that had me laughing the most.

Manos: The Hands of Fate: The beach fight scene KILLED ME. The scene alone was hilarious thanks to all the horrible fighting and the hilarious music. But the commentary by Joel and the Bots drove it over the edge and I nearly died of laughter!

Bogey (forget the whole name): The line "Ironically, she was Bambi's stepmom" had me ROFL like crazy, but the scenes in which Mike and the bots spoof the film's concept of a flashback was fantastic.

Cheating and "The Wild, Wild world of Batwoman": The short before the movie was hilarious because of its sensationalistic portrayal of cheating, and the bots had great commentary. "Mother Theresa called, SHE HATES YOU!" is one of my all time favorite lines. Batwoman was a mess, though, and that's why I love it. The stereotypical Chinese man speaking, the impromptu Go go dance sequence, the scene in which the girls are spaced out while Batwoman plays her organ, and the redundant beach scene had me laughing.
ImageImageImageImage

Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

Glad to hear you like MST3K pap64. of the shorts I find "The Home Economics Story" ("Tonight is the big dance, everyone will die, I will dump pigs blood on Carrie") and Progress Island ("Why even aliens from Mars live here") and Alphabet Antics to be the funniest. The Selling Wizard, and of course Mr. B Natural deserve to be mentioned as well.
Dottie
Collector's Edition

Post by Dottie »

I can only remember two shows and episodes I've ever cried when watching. One was Denny's death on "Grey's Anatomy" and the second one was this year's finale of "House" when Wilson and Amber say goodbye. I cried again when I rewatched it on DVD.
Siren
Platinum Edition

Post by Siren »

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer: Episode, The Body. When Joyce died....not the event itself, but the part in that episode when Giles was listening to the same song he listened to with Joyce in Band Candy. So very sad.
I was also near tears when Buffy died, not because she died, because I knew she'd be back and frankly, I know the show is about her, but don't have feeling enough for her to cry about it...no, it was seeing Spike collapse and the rest of the Scoobies cry that got me.
I know other key characters in the series died, Anya and Tara...but the shock of their deaths was quickly over taken by the action that there was little time to grieve, though my eyes were wet when Tara died. She was a wonderful character.

Gargoyles: Episode, Future Tense. When Broadway died. "I see the sun" got me.

A few episodes of Cold Case and CSI have made me cry too. Don't remember which though.
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

Flanger-Hanger wrote:Glad to hear you like MST3K pap64. of the shorts I find "The Home Economics Story" ("Tonight is the big dance, everyone will die, I will dump pigs blood on Carrie") and Progress Island ("Why even aliens from Mars live here") and Alphabet Antics to be the funniest. The Selling Wizard, and of course Mr. B Natural deserve to be mentioned as well.
I'm a recent fan of the series. While I knew the series existed I never got into it till 2005, which is when I was introduced to "Manos". I honestly regret missing out on the Sci-fi channel run as there were some awesome moments.

I've been watching some of the shorts. Mr. B Natural was HILARIOUS! I also loved "A date with your family". Man, those 50's shorts were overly pretentious! I'm glad Joel/Mike and the bots mock them till another day!

"Using your voice" was also a funny one, mainly because the line "Lip and tongue action" had me cackling like a Disney Villain :p .

Oh yeah, the "Santa Claus" episode (not the martians one, mind you, the Mexican one) was great, especially at the beginning when Mike spills hot chocolate on the bots and they go crazy :lol: :lol: :lol:

Great series, even better with friends.
ImageImageImageImage

BelleGirl
Anniversary Edition

Post by BelleGirl »

Typical tearjerker-series almost always manage to make me cry, particularly when heavy emotions are shown by the actors. Call it manipulative all you want but some episodes of Dr. Quinn, medicine woman had me in tears. First, when the Indians were massacred except for a tiny baby, and much later when Anthony died and the sister of Dr. Quinn.

I also spilled a few tears watching All Creatures Great and Small when some beloved animals had to be put down. In particular the episode with a dog named Duke: he was the only creature loved by a boy who otherwise was misbehaving - but who also had the misfortune to have cold unloving parents. :cry:

There must have been more series that made me cry but this is all I can recall now.
Isidour
Diamond Edition

Post by Isidour »

Dr. House

At the end of the 4th season, when SPOILER heartless b***ch dies in Wilson's arms end of spoiler...It made me remember my ex :cry:
Last edited by Isidour on Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dottie
Collector's Edition

Post by Dottie »

That was the 4th season. I am sorry about your girlfriend.
Isidour
Diamond Edition

Post by Isidour »

(hug)
Thanks Dottie
at least she's ok now and she sent me a great couple
SofaKing381222
Anniversary Edition

Post by SofaKing381222 »

Escapay wrote:Damn you, Mark Schwahn. Damn you, "One Tree Hill". "Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly." made me cry tonight. And not the annoying blubbery hiccups and sniffles cry. It was the more powerful "I'm letting the tears come and I won't bother rubbing them away while I suddenly find it harder to breathe or say anything without choking up" cry.

Why the hell do you have to write such emotional television?

albert
HAHA! I was just coming to write this exact thing! It was amazing! and I was sitting in my school's foyer watching it, and everyone around kept staring at me. Anyway, I love OTH and the scene's with his mother hit me the hardest, that and the actual funeral. I was in tears, literally...
We need season sets of all DCOSs and all DCOMs on DVD! And Better Cover Art!

My DVD's / My Space