Why Cars Is So Overrated?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Ariel'sprince
Platinum Edition
Location: beyond the meadows of joy and the valley of contentment

Why Cars Is So Overrated?

Post by Ariel'sprince »

I think Cars is the most overrated Pixar movie and it gets more and more attention and I have no idea why it's so overrated,that's the rank of Pixar films who get the most attention IMO:
1.Cars.
2.Finding Nemo.
3.Toy Story films.
4.WALL-E (Thought it's early to say since it's only out now,the DVD wasn't released yet).
5.Ratatouille.
6.The Incredibles.
7.Monsters Inc.
8.A Bug's Life.
A Bug's Life is the most underrated Pixar movie,Ratatouille's promotion was weak and I"m glad that WALL-E got a much bigger promotion but I think it's got more attention then The Incredibles or Monsters Inc,Ratatouille was already released on Blu-Ray while The Incredibles and Monsters Inc weren't released yet,even Finding Nemo and the Toy Story film weren't released on Blu-Ray (But we already know that Finding Nemo will be released on Blu-Ray soon while there aren't plans for the Toy Story films yet).
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

I wouldn't say its overrated, though. Film reviews were pretty weak and I believe the overall box office gross is weak compared to the films that came before it.

However, it is popular among kids because a lot of them like cars. The Cars merchandise has proven to be very popular among kids and toy collectors.

As for it being the first Pixar film to get a Blu-Ray release I thought it was because it was the most recent film, plus it was pretty to look at so they chose the movie to show case Blu-Ray. They did release Ratatouille and will release Wall.E too, so its mainly a case of releasing recent films first then the classics later.
ImageImageImageImage

Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

I don't see how its overrated. I think its the worst pixar movie, previously a title held by a bugs life. now, I don't consider any pixar movie to be bad movies, but there has to be a bottom one, and for now its cars. and Ive always seen it treated as such. there will be the occasional person who gushes over it, but their in the minority.
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

Apparently I liked Cars more than the average Disney/Pixar fan. Not the greatest in my book but certainly quite enjoyable.
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

enigmawing wrote:Apparently I liked Cars more than the average Disney/Pixar fan. Not the greatest in my book but certainly quite enjoyable.
I personally loved Cars. It wasn't perfect, but was very enjoyable. Compared to the other movies released in 2006 it was a masterpiece and proved that Pixar are great at what they do.
ImageImageImageImage

Poody
Anniversary Edition

Post by Poody »

I liked it. I think I've seen it twice..... but I really don't feel a need to see it again. Talking cars really isn't an original idea, so.... :P

I know it's quite popular simply because kids like to play with toy cars.....
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

pap64 wrote: I personally loved Cars. It wasn't perfect, but was very enjoyable. Compared to the other movies released in 2006 it was a masterpiece and proved that Pixar are great at what they do.
Exactly! I think the fact that they were talking cars threw a lot of people off but it still had a great, meaningful story and groundbreaking animation.
slave2moonlight
Diamond Edition

Post by slave2moonlight »

I have to agree with folks who find it the weakest, and I do feel it is overrated, because I remember when it came out what a big deal they were making about it everywhere. Perhaps that was just the promotion though, but it seemed to be more than that, and they're still milking it. Personally, I haven't seen Wall-E yet, but among the others, I think Ratatouille was the best, but Incredibles might be the most enjoyable over all. And, yeah, A Bug's Life is very underrated. I consider them all to be excellent though. However, I think I might have enjoyed "Monster House" a bit more than Cars, really.
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

I personally don't think its overrated, just over merchandised. Cars characters are on everything from bed sheets cups, and even candy. Out of all the Pixar films, Cars is probably my least favorite.
ifoceanscollide

Post by ifoceanscollide »

I love Cars, I thought it was really cute. I agree that it does get a bit overrated in terms of merchandise, but I think it's because it's a movie that is easily considered "boy-ish" and often serves to even out the more girly princess merchandise.
Skellington or Sparrow
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Skellington or Sparrow »

lots of you will get angry, but in my opinion, the trophy for most overrated is DEFINATELY ratatouille. it's a looooooong film (or feels long) and it goes by with very few laughs, very few surprises, and very little charm. it was cute, but underwhelming. and perhaps more people will feel even more angry, but the incredibles follows next in line as my least favorite, and the most overrated, but i find it MUCH more enjoyable, seeing as i've seen it more than once, (opposed to ratatouille, which i have seen ONLY once), but i cannot stand to watch it anymore than that.

cars.. definately overrated. i've only seen that a few times as well. i really, really enjoyed it the first few times, but now can never get beyond the "real gone"/"life is a highway" scenes.

as far as wall-e goes, the best of those four films, but that's barely saying anything. at least i thought it was more original, and very bold/risky for disney. and i think i could probably watch it again.

my favorite is finding nemo, it was the family themes of the incredibles, the "wit" everyone thinks ratatouille has, the wit wall-e DOES have, and the commerical success cars has. plus it's fun and moving. and beautiful to watch.

all the rest, a bug's life, monster's inc, and the toy story films sort of tye.

this is just MY opinion, and i don't want people getting all hurt over it. :)
:ears: I heart Disneyland :ears:
JaceDisney91

Post by JaceDisney91 »

I feel the opposite way. Commercially, of course it's over-hyped with all the original toys, the Hot Wheels range using the Cars characters and tie-in video games and what not (plus, of course being a movie about Cars, there was sponsorship a-plenty from fellow car manufacturers) but still as a decent Pixar movie, it's rather over-looked.

The word you're looking for is over-hyped, not "overrated for attention". But I do see what you mean, the hype is kinda ridiculous in comparison to other Disney/Pixar movies... XD

As for me? I liked "Cars" as a movie! It was good fun! :D
ToyStoryFan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ToyStoryFan »

Cars is not overrated. It's only one of two Pixar films not in the IMDB's Top 250 films, and if you even check here on "Rank Pixar films" lists, it's in 99% of everybody's bottom 3.

For it to be overrated, it has to be a film that basically everybody loves to death, always get GREAT reviews and press, and has people willing to stick up for it, no matter what is said about it. That doesn't apply to Cars at all.

Now, the merchandise sells. No question.

I personally though, LOVED Cars. It's probably in my Top 3 Pixar. I actually found Incredibles and Ratatoullie to be extremely overrated -- not that they are bad films, I quite enjoyed them. But I just don't think they're worthy of the praise they constantly get.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

While Cars is far from overrated, it is extremely marketable and Disney most likely takes advantage of that fact to make up for what they consider to be a less-than-stellar performance at the box office (not that I think it was a bad take-in, personally, but less than many other Pixar films). I find Finding Nemo to be the most overrated as far as public opinion goes, while The Incredibles and the Toy Story's are the best they've done so far to me.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Siren
Platinum Edition

Post by Siren »

I was completely unimpressed by Cars. Out of all of Pixar's movies, I found it least entertaining.
Matt
Anniversary Edition

Post by Matt »

I still never saw it yet and I have the DVD. :D
MerXAN
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MerXAN »

I dislike Cars. I've only seen it once. It's pretty lame.
toonaspie
Anniversary Edition

Post by toonaspie »

I was expecting Cars to be dreadful but it turned out to be better than I expected.

I think Ratatouille is the most overrated. With Toy Story a close second.

I do agree with A Bug's Life being underrated though. Yeah it was cliche but it was funny cliche.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

I think that everyone here is being very hard on a cartoon. CGI or 2-D, let's face it they are cartoons. These are not real, and those of you who don't like "Cars", "Finding Nemo", or "Monsters Inc." need to have a reality check with what life is all about. It is imagination. Something that Walt Disney preached about for so many years. That's what Disneyland and Disneyworld are all about = Imagination!!!

C'mon, we all have our favorites, we all have different likes and dislikes, but we all have imagination, and that is what I like about ALL of the Pixar/Disney films - their IMAGINATION!!!

Every animated film has characters that talk - whether it is the teapot and teacup in "Beauty and the Beast", or the rustling leaves in the trees in "Bambi", or how about a mouse that talks or a duck that talks and a dog that talks, or even, yes even, "Cars" that talk. Imagination is what we are talking about here, and Disney/Pixar does the best imagining there is. What would "Enchanted"have been, without any imagination. It would be just another silly movie with little plot, and very little story. "Cars" is a film with a very good story and moral, that every child should be taught from a young age.

I think most of you have forgotten what it is like to be a child again, and have lost your 'true' imagination.

Now, as the resident Grumpy Old Man here on UD, I think we all need to take back our imagination and start looking at these animated gems as what they really are. Movies to peak our imagination. Watch each and every film for the story, and the moral to the story, and don't forget to use your imagination.

:D
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
rexcrk
Anniversary Edition

Post by rexcrk »

Cars over rated?

HAH! Best joke I've heard in a while.

On the Internet I hear nothing but "Gah! Cars = WORST PIXAR MOVIE!" and "Cars wasn't so good" and the like.

Actually I'd rank Cars as my 3rd favorite Pixar movie, right after the Toy Story movies.

Ratatoullie is the Pixar movie that I like the least.
But the thing that makes Woody special, is he'll never give up on you... ever. He'll be there for you, no matter what.