The Walt Disney Animation Studios Website

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Jules
Diamond Edition

The Walt Disney Animation Studios Website

Post by Jules »

I'm starting to get a little miffed. I love Disney and Disney animated movies - otherwise I wouldn't be here. Unsurprisingly, Walt Disney Animation Studios is my favourite animation studio. If it's so groundbreaking and all, then why doesn't it have one stinking website!? Other studios have their own websites, which are specific and concerned with the films produced, such as DreamWorks Animation SKG:

http://www.dreamworksanimation.com/dwa/ ... index.html

So do Blue Sky Studios:

http://www.blueskystudios.com/content/index.php

Pixar Animation Studios have one too:

http://www.pixar.com/

But where the hell is the site for Walt Disney Animation Studios!? Sure ... there's the humongous Disney Site for "All Things Disney", but probably only 80% of it is concerned with the studio's films, and that 20% is a muddled lump of information, concerned with selling the films on DVD. It doesn't really differentiate between a Pixar film, a WDAS film, or a DTV film. The closest thing I've been able to find on Disney's website, which actually seems to acknowledge the existence of Walt Disney Animation Studios is this page:

http://corporate.disney.go.com/careers/ ... udios.html

Kind of meagre don't you think - compared with the ones above?
Last edited by Jules on Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

For over 10 years there used to be a stite called the unofficial Disney Animation archive with all the information you could want. It was shut down earlier this year because Disney complained.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Flanger-Hanger wrote:For over 10 years there used to be a stite called the unofficial Disney Animation archive with all the information you could want. It was shut down earlier this year because Disney complained.
That's a shame. I never heard of it. I wonder if Disney are cooking up something. Could this signify the possible construction of an official site for WDAS?
reyquila
Anniversary Edition

Post by reyquila »

I'm with you in this crusade!!! They should know better!!! We need this badly!!
WDW Trips: 1992,1997,2005,2006, 2007, 2008, 2009-10 (Disney's Port Orleans-Riverside), 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2018 and 2022.
Disneyland Trips: 2008 (Disneyland Hotel) and 2016
Disney Cruises: 2007, 2010 (Wonder) and 2012 (Dream).
My Disney Movies http://connect.collectorz.com/users/peluche/movies/view
akhenaten
Anniversary Edition

Post by akhenaten »

I'M BUYING!

oops i mean, im seconding.
do you still wait for me Dream Giver?
musicradio77
Anniversary Edition

Post by musicradio77 »

RIP: Unofficial Disney Animation Archive (1996-2007) :(

Now the site got a new home, it's the Unofficial Dreamworks Animation Archive. Here is the link to a new non-Disney site.

http://www.animationarchive.net
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

you can still access the unofficial disney animation archive from the Internet archives.

http://web.archive.org/web/200705162049 ... chive.net/

not every nook and crany of the site is still there, but a lot of it still is. its kinda hit or miss.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

http://www.disneyanimation.com/index.html

(I just found this via blueskydisney.blogspot.com)

:pink:
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Awesome site! More signs of change at Disney. Confirmation on their upcoming films and their devotion to animated shorts. Wich I hope will strictly play in front of their animated features from now on, beginning with Bolt/Glago's Guest.

I'm so glad Lasseter is overseeing Disney animation nowadays. Looking at their upcoming films, I get the vibe I got from the Black Cauldron to Little Mermaid years. Transition and change.

so nice to have a website now like DWA and PIXAR have.
kbehm29
Anniversary Edition

Post by kbehm29 »

Awesome. About freakin' time. They could do a lot with it yet, but it's a great start. I sort of like the simplicity.
Disneyland Trips: 1983, 1992, 1995, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2016, Aug 2018
Walt Disney World Trips: 1999, 2007, 2011, 2014, 2016, ~Dec 2018~, ~Apr 2019~
Favorite Disney Movies: Peter Pan, 101 Dalmatians, Tangled, The Princess and the Frog, Enchanted, FROZEN
slave2moonlight
Diamond Edition

Post by slave2moonlight »

I couldn't get the link to work, but I hope they do make it a good site and with some animator interaction too, if possible. I'd definitely like to know when they are actually hiring artists again, and if a guy with a Fine Arts degree who has already reached his 30's but has no animation experience/training would have a shot at finding work there (and how best to go about it). Though, I figure they have plenty of experienced guys in the area they'd be seeking to hire back first (all the guys they fired...). Wish they still had an animation department in Florida. To live and work right in Disney World would be too neat!
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

Cool little site! Plus, there's some visual development pictures for The Princess and the Frog up that looks pretty cool. 8)
slave2moonlight
Diamond Edition

Post by slave2moonlight »

The link woked this time! I copied down the submission information! I think I'm going to apply to work there, though somehow I'd have to be able to move to California if I was hired, ha. First I have to get through Wizard World Texas in November though, and I also have to prepare some good stuff. Only thing that concerns me is my age and my lack of training specifically in animation. Nowadays, so may young artists have that specific training and even do it themselves at home. Who knows if they are training folks there again or now expect you to come already knowing how to do it...
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

AAAAAAAAAAAAAND the Disney animation site seriously needs to be updated.

I mean, they've been telling us to watch Prep and Landing this holiday season all through January, February and March. Who's responsible for the site? I bet they think the Berlin wall is still standing.

Also, I'm annoyed that no competent being has yet corrected "The Sword and the Stone" on the History page to "The Sword IN the Stone".

Harumph. Image
Jules
Diamond Edition

Re: The Lack of a Walt Disney Animation Studios Website

Post by Jules »

GOOD NEWS

The Disney Animation Studios website has been updated. In the "Our Films" section there is now an interactive timeline of all the WDAS films.

BAD NEWS

The work is very sloppy. With almost zero worthwhile information, no captions to explain any of the clickable imagery and the use of pictures riddled with JPEG artefacts, and in some cases embarrasingly low-res artwork.

Everytime the WDAS website is updated I get thrilled. The thrill, however, is always short-lived, as it's clear whoever designed and maintains the website has no love for the studio and its work. I patiently wait for the next update, in what will probably be two years' time. :roll:
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Re: The Walt Disney Animation Studios Website

Post by SWillie! »

Thanks for pointing this out. The fact that they didn't previously have a page for each of their films is ridiculous. The idea here is great, but the execution is awful, as you said. They really, really, really need an overhaul. Which is not likely, as they just had one last year. I would love it if whoever designed pixar.com to do it. I mean, talk about gorgeous. Intuitive, comprehensive... just the way it should be. And then there's the mess that is disneyanimation.com
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

SWillie! wrote:I would love it if whoever designed pixar.com to do it. I mean, talk about gorgeous. Intuitive, comprehensive... just the way it should be. And then there's the mess that is disneyanimation.com
Tell me about it. Pixar's site is drool-worthy. :drool:
Warm Regards
Special Edition

Post by Warm Regards »

I was browsing the Disney Animation website today, when I came across this page with profiles for some of the staff. I don't recall seeing it a few weeks ago, so I'm presuming it's new.

Otherwise, same old, same old. :P
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Walt Disney Animation Studios | A Magical Journey by Slyfer2812
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd_drC1JC_c

This made me cry, it made me smile. Sorry if this isn't the appropriate thread for it but it does deal with WDAS!
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Well, what do we have here? This is from the WDAS's Trainee Apprentice program page. Raya or Encanto?

https://disneyanimation.com/img/uploads ... dev-pm.jpg