Faerie Tale Theatre: Special Edition coming to DVD!!!

Discussion of non-Disney DVD and Blu-ray.
Ariel'sprince
Platinum Edition
Location: beyond the meadows of joy and the valley of contentment

Post by Ariel'sprince »

Cordy_Biddle wrote:
Sleeping Beauty sucks,since when Sleeping Beauty is an arabian story?
The 'Arabian' segment of "Sleeping Beauty" tends to cause confusion. It's purely a device to show how far the wicked fairy Henbane went in preventing the Prince from ever trying to find his true love. The main story is set in Russia.
The fairies looks arabain,why there's a male fairy? shouldn't he be called some other name? or he can be still called a fairy?.
Russia? Sleeping Beauty isn't a Russian story either.
Anyway their version of Sleeping Beauty sucks.
PrincePhillipFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by PrincePhillipFan »

Yay! I'm so happy to hear this is finally getting a DVD release. I remember watching a few of these episodes as a kid in reruns, but recently got to watching them again after seeing some of the episodes on youtube. They always bring back such fond memories for me, and I love seeing their interpretations on the fairy tales.
Arielsprince wrote:but Sleeping Beauty sucks,since when Sleeping Beauty is an arabian story? it's Sleeping Beauty,not Aladdin,I also hate that they ripped-off Once Upon A Dream from the Disney version and the king was annyoing,oh,so his daughter can't be brave?
Even though I'm a huge fan of Disney's version, I personally love their version of Sleeping Beauty and think that it's very creative. I think the main reason why it's set in Russia is because they use most of the music from the Tchaikovsky ballet. And the melody for the song Once Upon A Dream is pretty much the song The Sleeping Beauty Waltz from the ballet, only with lyrics added. So if anything, Disney ripped off Tchaikovsky. :p
Arielsprince wrote:why there's a male fairy? shouldn't he be called some other name? or he can be still called a fairy?.
What's wrong with there being a male fairy? I know I'm one myself. ;)
-Tim
Ariel'sprince
Platinum Edition

Post by Ariel'sprince »

PrincePhillipFan wrote:
Arielsprince wrote:but Sleeping Beauty sucks,since when Sleeping Beauty is an arabian story? it's Sleeping Beauty,not Aladdin,I also hate that they ripped-off Once Upon A Dream from the Disney version and the king was annyoing,oh,so his daughter can't be brave?
Even though I'm a huge fan of Disney's version, I personally love their version of Sleeping Beauty and think that it's very creative. I think the main reason why it's set in Russia is because they use most of the music from the Tchaikovsky ballet. And the melody for the song Once Upon A Dream is pretty much the song The Sleeping Beauty Waltz from the ballet, only with lyrics added. So if anything, Disney ripped off Tchaikovsky. :p
I know that it's from the ballet but Disney already used it,why not making something more creative then that?.
Their princess is kinda ugly,and she didn't even got any attention!,Aurora is much heronic then her (Thought I liked that she got the gift of bravery,if only her stupid whouldn't say anything...),the Prince is okay but I think that Phillip is better then him,the Arabain girl was funny.
Arielsprince wrote:why there's a male fairy? shouldn't he be called some other name? or he can be still called a fairy?.
It's not bad,it's just.. shouldn't he being called something else? or he's still a fairy? (Kinda like calling Triton a mermaid).
I saw a bit of their Aladdin version and there some funny scene,it was something like-
Sorcerer:Aladdin is poor!!!.
Princess:No! no! no!.
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Post by PeterPanfan »

Ariel'sprince wrote:
PrincePhillipFan wrote: Even though I'm a huge fan of Disney's version, I personally love their version of Sleeping Beauty and think that it's very creative. I think the main reason why it's set in Russia is because they use most of the music from the Tchaikovsky ballet. And the melody for the song Once Upon A Dream is pretty much the song The Sleeping Beauty Waltz from the ballet, only with lyrics added. So if anything, Disney ripped off Tchaikovsky. :p
I know that it's from the ballet but Disney already used it,why not making something more creative then that?.
Their princess is kinda ugly,and she didn't even got any attention!,Aurora is much heronic then her (Thought I liked that she got the gift of bravery,if only her stupid whouldn't say anything...),the Prince is okay but I think that Phillip is better then him,the Arabain girl was funny.
It's not bad,it's just.. shouldn't he being called something else? or he's still a fairy? (Kinda like calling Triton a mermaid).
I saw a bit of their Aladdin version and there some funny scene,it was something like-
Er... How is that exactly funny?

And how the heck is Disney's Aurora more heroic? I'd say they're the same. Disney's Aurora did like, nothing.

And what's wrong with it being set in Russia? Just because something that you don't like happened, there is no need to repeatedly say, "It sucks."

:roll:
Ariel'sprince
Platinum Edition

Post by Ariel'sprince »

PeterPanfan wrote:
Ariel'sprince wrote: I know that it's from the ballet but Disney already used it,why not making something more creative then that?.
Their princess is kinda ugly,and she didn't even got any attention!,Aurora is much heronic then her (Thought I liked that she got the gift of bravery,if only her stupid whouldn't say anything...),the Prince is okay but I think that Phillip is better then him,the Arabain girl was funny. It's not bad,it's just.. shouldn't he being called something else? or he's still a fairy? (Kinda like calling Triton a mermaid).
Er... How is that exactly funny?

And how the heck is Disney's Aurora more heroic? I'd say they're the same. Disney's Aurora did like, nothing.

And what's wrong with it being set in Russia? Just because something that you don't like happened, there is no need to repeatedly say, "It sucks."

:roll:
Because she seems almost crying when she finds out that her husband doesn't really have any money :P.
Disney's Sleeping Beauty is a story about a princess,this is a story about a prince who hears about some girl who fell asleep,and we barely see her,oh well,let's not get into this.
It's just that the original story wasn't in Russia,it's like making a version of Aladdin with the story set in Greece or a version of Beauty and the Beast set in Italy.
By the way-Did you got the Enchanted Tales codes I sent you? (Sorry for off-topic).
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Fairy Tale Theater on Special Edition DVD

Post by Disney Duster »

Ariel'sprince, I'm surprised at what you said.

First of all, Tchaikovsky's Sleeping Beauty ballet is so famous everyone knows it and it is strongly and often associated with the fairy tale. So it makes sense to use the music and take the further step and set the fairy tale in the country the music's from. It also makes it look unique, and the fairies have headscarfs that wise old woman in Russia usually wear/wore long ago. The reason they have a male fairy who acts/sounds kind of girly is a joke that gay men who act like girls are called fairies. But there are male fairies. You should remember that boys are called fairies from Thumbelina. The new Disney Fairies franchise calls male fairies sparrow men which I think is dumb and they are too afraid of calling boys fairies and letting them like fairies or princesses.

The King not wanting the princess to be brave is a comment on how men are overprotective of their daughters and society doesn't want women to be like men, to be brave, to do things men do. They want them to only sew and cook and sing.

The princess in the Fairy Tale Theater version is wonderful. She is kind but she won't take someone she doesn't want no matter how much her parents love her and she loves them. She won't settle for a man she doesn't like or is not her true love. She is better than Aurora for not going to marry someone other than her dream prince, but she was going to at first and maybe Aurora wouldn't have married another man if she didn't fall asleep before. But she at least looked for things in a man like being kind and charitable like her instead of just being "tall and handsome".

But the magic of true love in fairy tales is that Aurora and Phillip knew they were good people they were meant to be with in very little time.
Ariel'sprince
Platinum Edition

Re: Fairy Tale Theater on Special Edition DVD

Post by Ariel'sprince »

Disney Duster wrote:Ariel'sprince, I'm surprised at what you said.

First of all, Tchaikovsky's Sleeping Beauty ballet is so famous everyone knows it and it is strongly and often associated with the fairy tale. So it makes sense to use the music and take the further step and set the fairy tale in the country the music's from. It also makes it look unique, and the fairies have headscarfs that wise old woman in Russia usually wear/wore long ago. The reason they have a male fairy who acts/sounds kind of girly is a joke that gay men who act like girls are called fairies. But there are male fairies. You should remember that boys are called fairies from Thumbelina. The new Disney Fairies franchise calls male fairies sparrow men which I think is dumb and they are too afraid of calling boys fairies and letting them like fairies or princesses.
Still,it didn't happend in the original story.
Those headscarfs made them look Arabian (That's why I thought it's in Arabain country,also because the castle looks like Jasmine's palace but now I know that's it's a Russian castle).
I didn't said he sounds girly I was just wondering if they should have a different name,like calling Triton a mermaid,in the original Thumbelina story? I guess it's like asking if a famale fish should have a different name,and like you call a female fish a fish you need to call a male fairy a fairy?.
Why? every living being need a male and a female,so that's silly.
I don't think that they don't allow male character,there's a lot of Princesses with Princes.
The King not wanting the princess to be brave is a comment on how men are overprotective of their daughters and society doesn't want women to be like men, to be brave, to do things men do. They want them to only sew and cook and sing.
They didn't showed it as a bad thing,nobody told him that he's wrong and he was.
The princess in the Fairy Tale Theater version is wonderful. She is kind but she won't take someone she doesn't want no matter how much her parents love her and she loves them. She won't settle for a man she doesn't like or is not her true love. She is better than Aurora for not going to marry someone other than her dream prince, but she was going to at first and maybe Aurora wouldn't have married another man if she didn't fall asleep before. But she at least looked for things in a man like being kind and charitable like her instead of just being "tall and handsome"
I think that Aurora whouldn't merry someone,she thought that she whould find him.
But the magic of true love in fairy tales is that Aurora and Phillip knew they were good people they were meant to be with in very little time.
Yeah :D.
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Sprince wrote:It's just that the original story wasn't in Russia,it's like making a version of Aladdin with the story set in Greece or a version of Beauty and the Beast set in Italy.
The original story for Aladdin (as it was written for Arabian Nights/One Thousand and One Nights) is set in China, yet a lot of people really enjoy the Disney version set in the Middle-East-Inspired Agrabah.

:P

And some of Shakespeare plays are re-adapted for different locales/time periods. The 1999 film version of A Midsummer Night's Dream takes place in 19th century England rather than ancient Athens. She's the Man is a horrible modern re-telling of Twelfth Night. And Julie Taymor's Titus is adapted from Titus Andronicus and is unique in that it constantly jumps to various times and places, while maintaining the same characters.
Mike wrote:The new Disney Fairies franchise calls male fairies sparrow men which I think is dumb and they are too afraid of calling boys fairies and letting them like fairies or princesses.
Whoa, seriously? Sparrow Men? Talk about a huge step backwards in gender equality...
Mike wrote:The princess in the Fairy Tale Theater version is wonderful.
It's hard to go wrong when you've got Bernadette Peters. ;)
Sprince wrote:Still,it didn't happend in the original story.
That's the beauty of adaptations. They have the original story to work off of, but they don't need to follow it so closely, and they can add a bit of their own material as well. For example, compare these well-known versions of Beauty and the Beast:

-The 1946 Jean Cocteau film (La Belle et la Bête)
-The 1984 Faerie Tale Theatre version (with Susan Sarandon)
-The 1987-1990 CBS series
-The 1987 Cannon Group version
-The 1991 Disney Animated Classic

Each one takes the basic tale and adapts it to what the filmmakers envisioned, adding their own touches as well. Should we argue that the 1991 Disney version is bad because it didn't follow the Cocteau version? Will there be endless debates that the CBS series shouldn't even be considered an adaptation since it's so far gone from the original tale?
Sprince wrote:I guess it's like asking if a female fish should have a different name, and like you call a female fish a fish you need to call a male fairy a fairy.
Agreed.

I do this when it comes to "actor" and "actress". The process of acting is still acting whether someone's a man or a woman, so I use "actor" to cover both, regardless if I'm saying "Dustin Hoffman is an awesome actor" or "I prefer Miley Cyrus's talents as an actor rather than as a singer"

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Post by PeterPanfan »

Bernadette is in this? Throw in some Patti LuPone and I'll definitly buy this!
Cordy_Biddle
Anniversary Edition

Post by Cordy_Biddle »

Bernadette is in this?
Yup. And she even gets to sing!
I'm just valentine candy and boxing-gloves!

My DVD Collection :
http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/
Ariel'sprince
Platinum Edition

Post by Ariel'sprince »

Escapay wrote:
Sprince wrote:It's just that the original story wasn't in Russia,it's like making a version of Aladdin with the story set in Greece or a version of Beauty and the Beast set in Italy.
The original story for Aladdin (as it was written for Arabian Nights/One Thousand and One Nights) is set in China, yet a lot of people really enjoy the Disney version set in the Middle-East-Inspired Agrabah.

:P
Good point,It is similar,then I guess it's okay that it's set in Russia :).
Mike wrote:The new Disney Fairies franchise calls male fairies sparrow men which I think is dumb and they are too afraid of calling boys fairies and letting them like fairies or princesses.
Whoa, seriously? Sparrow Men? Talk about a huge step backwards in gender equality...[/quote]
Yeah,that's how they call them,maybe they should have add a Sparrow Man to their group (How about TinkerBell's boyfriend?).
Sprince wrote:I guess it's like asking if a female fish should have a different name, and like you call a female fish a fish you need to call a male fairy a fairy.
Agreed.

I do this when it comes to "actor" and "actress". The process of acting is still acting whether someone's a man or a woman, so I use "actor" to cover both, regardless if I'm saying "Dustin Hoffman is an awesome actor" or "I prefer Miley Cyrus's talents as an actor rather than as a singer"

Albert[/quote]
Yeah,like calling a female a hero insted of heroine or a villain insted of villainess,actor for both sounds better.
katielb

Post by katielb »

A year ago, I found this set for extremely cheap on Amazon (I think I saw it for $40) and I passed on it. I COMPLETELY regretted my decision when I saw it was no longer in print anymore and the asking price for a used copy was outrageous. I searched for it again a few days ago on Amazon and found this information as well and it is now back on my wishlist! I grew up with this TV show as a child and I can't wait to get my hands on my own personal set. :)
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Well, this boxset came out this week, but I have yet to purchase it.

Also, the official site shows the back cover of the box, which shows what all the special features are. In addition to the already-announced "lost episode" and the non-DVD stuff (book, card game), there's a vintage presentation reel and B-roll promo footage that's included. Both sound interesting from a promotional point of view (I love b-roll, however boring or interesting it is), and fits the bill as part of the enigmatic "and more" that was on the press release.

Still, I would have preferred if some of the more notable episodes had commentaries with the cast/crew, or if a new retrospective documentary was made about the entire series. Oh well...

Anyway, I look forward to getting this one of these days (it's not a high priority), perhaps post-Christmas.

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
CornyCollins
Limited Issue

Post by CornyCollins »

I just placed my order for this - I only remember loving about 7 or 8 different titles, but look forwarding to refreshing my memory of some of the other shows that I know i've seen, but weren't my favorites and probably only viewed once or twice.

www.familyvideo.com has it for $54.99 - w/ $1.99 shipping - I couldn't pass up this price since it's over $70.00 everywhere else. I've never ordered from here before, so I hope all goes ok - I'm sure it will though.

So just a heads up if you're looking for a bargain.
"I'm the man who keeps it spinnin' round - Mr. Corny Collins with the latest, greatest, Baltimore sound!" - Corny Collins (Hairspray).
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I haven't bought it, but DeepDiscount.com has the set for $58.91 with free shipping, just in case someone isn't comfortable buying from a site that they've never heard of (DeepDiscount is a good site to buy from).
CornyCollins
Limited Issue

Post by CornyCollins »

I got this set a few days ago in the mail and I have to say, it's nicely done packaging wise, however, the picture quality is pretty bad. It doesn't even look like DVD - it's more like VHS. I know this is a pretty old series, but it could have been at least DVD quality. Maybe it's just me - has anyone else noticed this? I haven't watched all the episodes, so maybe it's just the few that I watched??

If anyone else has this set, i'd be interested to know what you think of the Picture quality.
"I'm the man who keeps it spinnin' round - Mr. Corny Collins with the latest, greatest, Baltimore sound!" - Corny Collins (Hairspray).
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I'm glad this doesn't really have that much "bonus" to it, considering I bought the earlier release about 2 years ago. I despise buying something, especially a collection of television episodes, and then it becomes obsolete. You'd think with something like this, which probably won't receive very much attention, they'd release it right the first time.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I need help. I want the entire amount of all Fairy Tale Theatre titles in one collection, I'm getting super nostalgic for them and they will make me very happy, but I need to know which set to get!

Can someone please tell me what is the best set to get? If you search on Amazon.com, there's like three complete sets that appear!

I'm thinking I'll order from Amazon (on that note, how do I order through UD to give UD money?), so here's the page showing them:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... le+theatre
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

I don't have the DVD set, but I did have a little look on Amazon. I'd say go for the first set that appears, from 2008. First of all, it's far cheaper than the second complete set, which dates from 2005. It also has proper extras (including the presumed lost episode "Grimm Party"), and there are proportionally less episodes to each disc on the 2008 set (the 2005 set has four discs, while the 2008 set has seven), which I suppose should provide better picture quality.

A lot of the other discs (for example "Faerie Tale Theatre: Funny Tales" or "Faerie Tale Theatre: Princess Tales") are actually compilation DVDs of three or four episodes, so there's no point bothering with them if you want all the episodes. But I'm sure you probably realised that anyway. ;)

As for supporting the site, you'll see a link to Amazon.com in the links list next to the "DVDizzy.com" banner. But for the hell of it, I'll provide it here: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redir ... eimprovemz :)
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I never thanked you for helping me Wonderlicious! Sorry! Thanks a lot!

It's rather funny, but I didn't order it online...instead I asked for it for Christmas, and today's Christmas, so I surprisedly and fortunately just opened up the newer, 7-Disc, GOOD set! I am so happy! So I'm sorry I didn't help UD this time...but there's lots of things I want to buy online in the future, that I will try to remember to order through UD for!

The only thing is I liked the old set's golden cover better with the purple panel. It looked like a storybook. And had no weird bubbles. It just looked nicer to me. But there's something more woah and majestic in a way about the new cover too. I just still prefer the old cover.