The Lion King on Broadway

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

Go for the Broadway tickets as the digicam looks quite cheap (and only holds 40 pictures!).

Escapay
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

Like Escapay said, get the tickets. The camera would probably be useless like the MP3 players.
Disneyfreak1990
Special Edition

Post by Disneyfreak1990 »

get the tickets and if you have any points left save up for the camera. 8)
thompsoncory

Post by thompsoncory »

Definitely get the tickets. The show is absolutely phenomenal.
<i>You are allowed one signature image up to 500 pixels in width and 100 pixels in height.</i>
BEAUTY & THE BEAST - The best Disney film ever!
BVHE-Rep

Tickets for the Lion King on Broadway

Post by BVHE-Rep »

The tickets and dates have not been finalized, however I can let you know that the tickets will be for shows in late September and late October and a few dates to be finalized in early November.

The tickets are orchestra level seats.

Dates and details will be posted to the website very shortly for both the Lion King and Tarzan shows.
Cierra_Dancer
Limited Issue

Post by Cierra_Dancer »

If you like The Lion King, then go for the tickets. I saw the show a couple of years ago, and it was not my favorite. I thought a lot of it was a little bit boring, but most of the people in it were great, the costumes, and sets were great too. The best part of the show is the opening though. It wasn't a BAD show, but it wasn't as great as the other shows I saw while I was down there. Do you know if they will be selling Little Mermaid seats on the rewards? If I were you, that's what I would go for.
Simba3
Collector's Edition

Post by Simba3 »

BUMP

Sorry to double post, but I just got back from seeing The Lion King onstage fro the second time. Let me tell you, it was just as good the second time around. I saw the matinee show at the Broward Center for Performing Arts in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. I am so happy and lucky to have had the opportunity to see this amazing show once again. Anyone who has not scene this wonderful show yet, please take the time (and the money) to make sure you see this musical, trust me you will not regret it.
Signature courtesy of blackcauldron85!!
potterrules93
Special Edition

Post by potterrules93 »

did u get a program or a playbill? just wondering
~Ryn~

Upcoming shows i am seeing:
Cats-June 6 2007 youngstown ohio
The Lion King-Auguest 19 2007 cleveland ohio
Avenue Q-january 2008 cleveland ohio
Cats-Feburary 2008 akron ohio
Wicked-March 2008 cleveland ohio
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

I'm seeing it later this summer and am pretty excited for it. Can anyone say how the touring production compares to the stationary Broadway production?

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Simba3
Collector's Edition

Post by Simba3 »

AwallaceUNC wrote:I'm seeing it later this summer and am pretty excited for it. Can anyone say how the touring production compares to the stationary Broadway production?
I have never actually seen the show on Broadway, so I can't say, but I saw it twice on tour, in two different locations and both shows were amazing.
potterrules93 wrote:did u get a program or a playbill? just wondering
Actually yes. And funny you should ask because when I saw the show in Michigan I got a program, but it was not a Playbill. So, I assumed perhaps that authentic PLAYBILL programs were limited only to New York City, and Broadway. However, at yesterdays show in Florida, I recieved my program and it is a PLAYBILL, yet it still says Ft. Lauderdale on the front page. I was kinda excited about that.
potterrules93
Special Edition

Post by potterrules93 »

i just found out that some theaters call and ask for playbills to be made and others just make their own programs. so i hope that at all of my upcoming shows, i get playbills not programs
~Ryn~
Simba3
Collector's Edition

Post by Simba3 »

potterrules93 wrote:i just found out that some theaters call and ask for playbills to be made and others just make their own programs. so i hope that at all of my upcoming shows, i get playbills not programs
~Ryn~
Oh ok, good to know. I am seeing Wicked back in Michigan this summer, where I saw the Lion King, so unfortunately I will probably not recieve a PLAYBILL, just a Wharton Center program book. BUT, the most important thing is seeing the show. :)
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

The Lion King on Broadway

Post by PeterPanfan »

^ Credit to The Sequel of Disney for the banner.

THE LION KING
New Amsterdam Theatre July 8, 1997- Present

Original Broadway Cast

Jason Raize as Simba
Samuel E. Wright as Mufasa
John Vickery as Scar
Scott Irby-Ranniar as Young Simba
Max Casella as Timon
Tom Alan Robbins as Pumbaa
Tsidii Le Loka as Rafiki
Heather Headley as Nala
Geoff Hoyle as Zazu
Tracy Nicole Chapman as Shenzi
Stanley Wayne Mathis as Banzi
Kevin Cahoon as Ed
Gina Breedlove as Sarabi
Kajuana Shuford as Young Nala

Songs in the Broadway musical:

Act One

Circle of Life
Morning Report
The Lioness Hunt
I Just Can't Wait to be King
Chow Down
They Live in You
Be Prepared
Be Prepared (Reprise)
Hakuna Matata

Act Two

One by One
The Madness of King Scar
Shadowland
Endless Night
Can You Feel the Love Tonight
He Lives in You (Reprise)
King of Pride Rock
Circle of Life (Reprise)

Musical Adaptation

The musical incorporates several changes and additions to the storyline as compared to the film. The mandrill Rafiki's gender was changed to a female role, as Taymor believed there was generally no leading female character in the film. Rafiki was portrayed by Tsidii Le Loka in the original Broadway musical, and by Josette Bushell-Mingo in the original London production.

Several new scenes are present, including a conversation between Mufasa and Zazu about whether Mufasa is raising Simba correctly, and a perilous scene where Timon finds himself nearly drowning in a waterfall while Simba feels powerless to help him. A major narrative addition is the depiction of Nala's departure in the scene "The Madness of King Scar", where the mentally deteriorating villain tries to make Nala his mate. Nala refuses, and later announces her intention to depart the Pride Lands and find help. She receives the blessings of the lionesses and Rafiki during the new song "Shadowland."

Awards:

Tony Award for Best Musical
Tony Award for Best Scenic Design for a Musical
Tony Award for Best Costume Design for a Musical
Tony Award for Best Lighting Design for a Musical
Tony Award for Best Choreography
Tony Award for Best Direction of a Musical
Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Featured Actress in a Musical - Tsidii Le Loka
Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Choreography - Garth Fagan
Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Direction of a Musical - Julie Taymor
Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Set Design of a Musical - Scenic Design by Richard Hudson
Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Costume Design - Costume Design by Julie Taymor
Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Lighting Design - Lighting Design by Donald Holder
Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Sound Design - Sound Design by Tony Meola
Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Puppet Design - Puppet Design by Julie Taymor, Michael Curry
Theatre World Award

Official Websites

http://disney.go.com/theatre/thelionking/ Broadway
http://www2.disney.co.uk/MusicalTheatre ... /index.jsp West End

All taken from Wikipedia.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That said, has anyone seen this musical?

Thoughts, opinions, reviews?

Please discuss!!
Last edited by PeterPanfan on Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Simba3
Collector's Edition

Post by Simba3 »

I haven't seen it on Broadway, but I've seen the Nation Tour twice, once in Michigan and once in Florida. The Lion King is tied for my favorite musical (alongside RENT). The show is amazing on many different levels.

First of all, the story is amazing, and though it is told through lions, it is a very human story. It goes above and beyond the simplified Disney animated version and reaches new depths, thanks to director Julie Taymor.

The music is beautiful too, all of the favorite songs from the film version are still there, plus many new ones that help tell the story. Some of my favorites in the musical include "He Lives in You" (and Reprise) as well as Shadowland. These songs are very beautiful and help advance some of the most key sequences in the show.

Another great aspect of the show is the choreography. Grath Fagan is incredibly talented and did an amazing job of bringing this show to life. The way that he has humans moving around to portray animal characters. The movements and the dance sequences are really special.

One of the most notable things about the show is the visuals. When you see The Lion King on stage, your eyes are really in for a treat. The costumes are very beautiful and intricately made. The animal characters are really brought to life through the creative costume work. Also, the lighting and the props are very colorful. Every scene, especially the opening sequence, is breathtaking.

The Lion King is one of the most incredible shows you can possibly see on stage. It is truly deserving of all the hype that is received. Fans of the animated film would love the musical, and I think even those who are not fans of the film would even find the show to be rather enjoyable. I have seen the show twice already and I hope to see it again in the future. I think this is an amazing story being told through the form of a Broadway musical, and I think this show will be around for a long time. IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN IT YET, I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND SEEING IT!! It is worth every penny.
xxhplinkxx
Collector's Edition

Post by xxhplinkxx »

I've never seen it, and to be honest, I'm not too interested in seeing it. I'd watch it if I had nothing better to do. Although I'd probably watch it and end up loving it lol.

"Hip hop frightens you, doesn't it....Hmmm...Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate. Hate leads to endlessly posting threads about stupid white people. Hmmmmm....."

I love Siren!
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Never seen it, though I'd like to. It's just that my boyfriend and I get to Manhattan so infrequently that other shows are a priority with us. And, truth be told, my guy's not into Disney as much as I am. The last shows we saw were Hairspray & Xanadu. I DO have the OC album, though. Actually I haven't seen ANY Disney on B'way! :o

jon
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

I alot liked it better than the movie than inspired it. The energy of the live performances, the puppetry, the way the songs were sung it made the story 100% better for me. Only problem was seeing this show and having a couple of kids talk through certain parts because they couldn't realize this wasn't a movie.
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

Probably the best Disney show on Broadway at any given point, mostly because of Julie Taymor's inspired direction. It could have so easily become a goofy abstract mess *coughcoughTHELITTLEMERMAIDcoughcough*, but she somehow managed to make it work.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
Widdi
Anniversary Edition

Post by Widdi »

While I haven't seen it in New York, I have seen it during it's tenure at The Princess of Whales Theater in Toronto. It wasn't just a play, it was an experience. I would watch this a million times over and would definitely watch it over the movie.

The Broadway recordings used to be on repeat on my iPod, but it's recently been replaced (not entirely mind you, many songs still remain on my player) by the recordings of Hairspray and Wicked. "He Lives In You" is still one of my all time favourite songs though.
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Post by PeterPanfan »

I actually haven't seen it, either.

I'm pretty sure we're seeing it next year, though. I want to see it so bad, though. It looks amazing, and the addition of songs is totally welcome in my book. A lot of people don't like how they changed it a little bit, but really, what did they change? I think they just improved upon it, and made it better.