Faerie Tale Theatre: Special Edition coming to DVD!!!

Discussion of non-Disney DVD and Blu-ray.
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Faerie Tale Theatre: Special Edition coming to DVD!!!

Post by Escapay »

TVShowonDVD has announced that "Faerie Tale Theatre" is returning to DVD in a brand new boxset, courtesy of Koch Vision, on September 2, 2008...

Click Here For The Press Release

And Here for the official site

It'll be a seven disc set with all 26 episodes, as well as the "lost" episode "Faerie Tale Theatre's Greatest Moments" (aka "Grimm Party"), which was a reunion special that featured many of the actors from the episodes, and has never been released on home video.

In addition to all 26 episodes and the lost episode, non-DVD gubbins include:
-110-page Illustrated Storybook (with introduction by producer Bridget Terry)
-Collectible set of Playing Cards (featuring 3 games in one)
-And the engimatic "And More..."

I'm REALLY excited for this, as I loved watching FTT when it was on Disney Channel. Also, now I can FINALLY own the FTT versions of "The Three Little Pigs" and "Sleeping Beauty" on DVD. I'm a bit sad that there's no retrospective interviews or commentaries (especially in a boxset called "Special Edition"), but then again, FTT isn't really a show I'd itching to learn more about, production-wise.

The original DVDs (by Starmaker II) were released in single volumes (one story per volume), then later as a 26-DVD set, and then as a boxset of 4 dual-sided DVDs, and finally there were a few "two-story" boxsets, but they all went OOP a few years ago. By some strange circumstances, I was able to find new and sealed copies of "Cinderella", "Hansel & Gretel", and "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" at Ross (Cindy) and Boscov's (H&G and Snow). Knowing how rare they were, I snatched them up. Of course, now I have no use for them once the new boxset comes out...

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
CornyCollins
Limited Issue

Post by CornyCollins »

That looks great! I used to love these when I was a kid - I have a lot of them on VHS, but I never did get them when they finally put them on DVD. I was going to buy them about six months ago when I saw that they were out of print on DVD - they really didn't last long - now I know why.

Glad I saw this!

My favorites were "The frog prince", "Cinderella", "Snow White", and "Rupunzel". It's funny looking back at these shows and seeing some pretty big actors/actresses in them.
"I'm the man who keeps it spinnin' round - Mr. Corny Collins with the latest, greatest, Baltimore sound!" - Corny Collins (Hairspray).
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Post by PeterPanfan »

I have a lot of random FTT tapes, because I was OBSESSED with it when I was little, especially Rapunzel and The Little Mermaid.

So, I will almost definitly purchase this, is only for sentimental reasons.
CornyCollins
Limited Issue

Post by CornyCollins »

I kind of hope they sell them individually - but it looks like they won't. I remember being crazy about 10 of them - but not all of them.
"I'm the man who keeps it spinnin' round - Mr. Corny Collins with the latest, greatest, Baltimore sound!" - Corny Collins (Hairspray).
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

Fantastic news! I've been wanting to pick up the Starmaker 4-disc set, but resisted when I heard all the problems people were having with its packaging.

Seven discs sounds a bit excessive for 26 half-hour episodes, unless the first six discs contain four episodes each, and disc seven has two episodes, the Grimm party, and several video features that hopefully fall under the "and more" category. Hopefully the list price won't be too high.
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Post by PeterPanfan »

I don't think the price will be too high, as it doesn't have an ecsessive amount of followers.
Cordy_Biddle
Anniversary Edition

Post by Cordy_Biddle »

as it doesn't have an ecsessive amount of followers.
I wouldn't be too sure about that. FTT has a very large and devoted following, mainly the children of the 80's who first experienced it. The FTT chatboard on the IMDB is quite a busy place.
I'm just valentine candy and boxing-gloves!

My DVD Collection :
http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/
Siren
Platinum Edition

Post by Siren »

I didn't buy it when it was first released so glad I didn;t now :D
Cordy_Biddle
Anniversary Edition

Post by Cordy_Biddle »

Seven discs sounds a bit excessive for 26 half-hour episodes
Most FTT episodes average at around a 45 minute running time. For video compression issues, I'm glad it's seven discs.

My DVD Collection :
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

Oh, nevermind. I could've sworn they were half an hour each, but a quick look at the episodes posted on YouTube proves you're right; they're about 45 minutes each. Seven discs sound right for this set, then. I definitely don't want compression artifacts cropping up on these as the picture quality's likely to be soft enough as it is thanks to the series being taped rather than filmed.
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

According to Koch's website, the SRP will be just a shade under $100. Exciting news, in spite of that... especially that the lost episode will be included.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I used to LOVE FTT! I don't really remember it being on Disney Channel (maybe that was during the brief period my parents stopped paying for it), but I used to watch it every weekend on non-cable TV. I won't be able to afford this this year, but maybe Santa Claus can bring it to me...

This is really exciting! The "Pinocchio" episode (and the opening credits, because of the "Pinocchio" shot), used to scare the crap out of me, because long noses (besides Disney's Pinocchio) scared me..."Roxanne" with Steve Martin also scared me. But now I'll actually be able to enjoy the Paul Reubens' Pinocchio without getting frightened! That excites me... :lol:
CornyCollins
Limited Issue

Post by CornyCollins »

I also don't remember these being on the Disney channel - but I used to rent them on VHS at the video store back in the 80's...
Ariel'sprince
Platinum Edition
Location: beyond the meadows of joy and the valley of contentment

Post by Ariel'sprince »

Oooh!.
I only seen the Little Mermaid and Rapunzel version,I should see the Sleeping Beauty and Beauty and the Beast versions.
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

Forgive my ignorance, but is this the series that had Jeff Goldblum playing the big bad wolf in a version of The Three Little Pigs? Because I distinctly remember a movie where he asked a man which way the pigs went, when the man pointed him in their direction, the following exchange happened...

Wolf: Oh, and by the way, if you're wrong, I'm going to come back here and chew on your face. You ever had a wolf chew on your face before?

Man: ...No...

Wolf: Well it's no joy ride.

:lol:
Cordy_Biddle
Anniversary Edition

Post by Cordy_Biddle »

Forgive my ignorance, but is this the series that had Jeff Goldblum playing the big bad wolf in a version of The Three Little Pigs?
Yes, the FTT version is the one you are remembering. It's one of my favourites too!

My DVD Collection :
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

lord-of-sith wrote:Forgive my ignorance, but is this the series that had Jeff Goldblum playing the big bad wolf in a version of The Three Little Pigs? Because I distinctly remember a movie where he asked a man which way the pigs went, when the man pointed him in their direction, the following exchange happened...

Wolf: Oh, and by the way, if you're wrong, I'm going to come back here and chew on your face. You ever had a wolf chew on your face before?

Man: ...No...

Wolf: Well it's no joy ride.

:lol:
YES! That's one of my favorite lines from the story. I think my favorite, though, will always be "You're nothing but garbage!", which the wolf says when he randomly kicks a flower that's growing in the middle of the road.

It's on YouTube if you wanna watch the whole thing again...

Part One
Part Two
Part Three
Part Four
Part Five
Part Six
Part Seven

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

Thank you Cordy_Biddle and Escapay (especially for the youtube clips)! I'm very excited that I remembered right!
Ariel'sprince
Platinum Edition
Location: beyond the meadows of joy and the valley of contentment

Post by Ariel'sprince »

I saw their Sleeping Beauty and Beauty and the Beast versions,Beauty and the Beast was great (Thought it made me think of Enchanted,because here Susan Sarandon plays a fairy tale princess and in Enchanted she plays Narrisa,she was really great by the way) but Sleeping Beauty sucks,since when Sleeping Beauty is an arabian story? it's Sleeping Beauty,not Aladdin,I also hate that they ripped-off Once Upon A Dream from the Disney version and the king was annyoing,oh,so his daughter can't be brave? :roll: this sucks.
Cordy_Biddle
Anniversary Edition

Post by Cordy_Biddle »

Sleeping Beauty sucks,since when Sleeping Beauty is an arabian story?
The 'Arabian' segment of "Sleeping Beauty" tends to cause confusion. It's purely a device to show how far the wicked fairy Henbane went in preventing the Prince from ever trying to find his true love. The main story is set in Russia.

My DVD Collection :