Important(?) BBFC Aladdin posting (Blu-ray soon?)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

blackcauldron85 wrote:Do other films have "Musical Masterpiece" editions?
No
blackcauldron wrote: What exactly is a "Musical Masterpiece" edition?
God knows.
blackcauldron wrote:Is it just the movie with the words on screen for the songs during the movie, or the words on screen for the songs as bonus features?
Well it would appear (as Netty showed in his original post) that the BBFC has classified it as "part subtitled", which suggests it may have forced subtitles like the old sing a longs. But who knows.
Scamander
Special Edition

Post by Scamander »

akhenaten wrote:but why aladdin? and not BATB which is more musical?
because BatB is still part of the PE-line ;)
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Scamander wrote:
akhenaten wrote:but why aladdin? and not BATB which is more musical?
because BatB is still part of the PE-line ;)
...and BatB is still part of the PE-line because it didgood in sales unlike Aladdin that flopped.

The world makes sense now. :P

Btw, i never understood why the Aladdin platinum didn't do well in sales since the film was the top-grossed film of 1992.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

Maybe because PE didn't sell well, they're just repackaging it and hope it will sell better. I don't know...

I think it's dumb to decide of a film's Platinum status based on sales only. It should be a matter of critical, public and artistic acclaim. And what kind of number is 14? It should be 10, 15, or 20 films with Platinum status. If I were in charge of the Platinum line, I'd put these in it:

Walt's first five features:
1. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
2. Pinocchio
3. Fantasia
4. Dumbo
5. Bambi

From the '50s:
6. Cinderella
7. Lady and the Tramp - Disney's first feature shot in Cinemascope
8. Sleeping Beauty

Dark ages :) :
9. 101 Dalmatians - first use of Xerox process
10. The Jungle Book - Walt's last film
11. The Rescuers - the last film for 9 Old Men

The renaissance films:
12. The Little Mermaid
13. Beauty and the Beast
14. Aladdin
15. The Lion King

I didn't put "Alice in Wonderland" and "Peter Pan" because Walt Disney himself said he never liked title characters.

And lay off B&H ESC entry, please? :wink:
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

mooky_7_sa wrote:And lay off B&H ESC entry, please? :wink:
You could always send Mirela to track ichabod down and rape him. :P
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Post by PeterPanfan »

marky, it has already been confirmed what the Aladdin: Musical Masterpiece is. Just a crappy DVD. :headshake:
Scamander
Special Edition

Post by Scamander »

Yeah, but why do you care? Looks like an UK-only DVD and in the US the Aladdin-PE is still available.
Ariel'sprince
Platinum Edition
Location: beyond the meadows of joy and the valley of contentment

Post by Ariel'sprince »

Do you think that this DVD is just a way that Disney are hinting us that Aladdin did got kicked out of the Platinum line?.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Scamander wrote:Yeah, but why do you care? Looks like an UK-only DVD and in the US the Aladdin-PE is still available.
Actually, Aladdin went in the Vault in January.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

And just when you think Disney's getting smarter and getting back on track, they pull a stunt like this.

:brick:

Ugh.
yukitora
Special Edition

Post by yukitora »

mooky_7_sa wrote:Maybe because PE didn't sell well, they're just repackaging it and hope it will sell better. I don't know...

I think it's dumb to decide of a film's Platinum status based on sales only. It should be a matter of critical, public and artistic acclaim. And what kind of number is 14? It should be 10, 15, or 20 films with Platinum status. If I were in charge of the Platinum line, I'd put these in it:

Walt's first five features:
2. Pinocchio
3. Fantasia
4. Dumbo
5. Bambi

From the '50s:
6. Cinderella
7. Lady and the Tramp - Disney's first feature shot in Cinemascope
8. Sleeping Beauty

Dark ages :) :
9. 101 Dalmatians - first use of Xerox process
10. The Jungle Book - Walt's last film
11. The Rescuers - the last film for 9 Old Men

The renaissance films:
12. The Little Mermaid
13. Beauty and the Beast
14. Aladdin
15. The Lion King

I didn't put "Alice in Wonderland" and "Peter Pan" because Walt Disney himself said he never liked title characters.

And lay off B&H ESC entry, please? :wink:
Walt didn't like Alice? Where did he say that? I personally thought she was great, plus it was Walt's fave children's novel.

Peterpan, on the other hand, was horrible. Ugh I hate him, and Tinker bell, and Wendy's brothers, and Wendy. Wendy would have saved that movie if she wasn't so fascinated by such jerks!

Just for kicks, my dream platinum lines would be:

2. Pinocchio
3. Alice in Wonderland
4. Lady and the Tramp
5. Sleeping Beauty
6. One Hundred and One Dalmatians
7. The Jungle Book
8. The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
9. The Little Mermaid
10. Beauty and the Beast

and 11. The Lion King to replace whichever movie has the lowest sales.
Ariel'sprince
Platinum Edition

Post by Ariel'sprince »

yukitora wrote:Peterpan, on the other hand, was horrible. Ugh I hate him, and Tinker bell, and Wendy's brothers, and Wendy. Wendy would have saved that movie if she wasn't so fascinated by such jerks!
Alice is one of my favorite character but I just can't stand Wendy,gosh,she's so annyoing,except this part:
"Squaw no get 'em firewood! Squaw go home".
:lol:.
but she's still annyoing.
Back on topic-The cover is much better and pretty (Jasmine looks the best and Aladdin is on model).
yukitora
Special Edition

Post by yukitora »

I tend to dislike UK DVD Disney covers; the huge ugly banner at the top; the information bar that takes up a third of the cover; the fact Genie's body just cuts off (:o) and that Aladdin looks like a retarded retard. But I couldn't care less, I'm not a fan of the movie anyway :lol: The TV series I liked though :) They should release that on DVD instead.
Scamander
Special Edition

Post by Scamander »

@yukitora: Yeah, about the UK- and AUS-DVDs I thougt always the same way. Until May 2008 when german gouvernment passed a law which says the rating-logo has to be on the front-cover in 1200mm² bigness- that will look like this:

:x
Last edited by Scamander on Fri May 23, 2008 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

The link won't work - it asks for one to log in, you salamander! :P
Scamander
Special Edition

Post by Scamander »

@Julian: LOL, yeah, I would love to be one :D
the picture-link is edited ;)
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Ahh, it's hideous! Is it a sticker at least that can come off or is it part of the cover art?
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
steve
Gold Classic Collection

Post by steve »

yukitora wrote:Walt didn't like Alice? Where did he say that? I personally thought she was great, plus it was Walt's fave children's novel.
It's well-documented that Walt didn't like Alice. He said that there was no heart to the character. He believed that they didn't achieve what they had with Cinderella in Alice or Peter in that you just don't feel for the character or root for the character.
yukitora wrote:I tend to dislike UK DVD Disney covers; the huge ugly banner at the top; the information bar that takes up a third of the cover; the fact Genie's body just cuts off and that Aladdin looks like a retarded retard.
1. Normally, UK covers are almost identical to the US releases, so saying you "tend to dislike UK DVD Disney covers" is like saying you "tend to dislike DVD Disney covers"... :?

2. It's very unlikley that this is the final cover - the clipart of the Genie is straight off the Platinum Edition (if they're removed Aladdin from the line, wouldn't they want people to not be reminded that it was there in the first place?), the banner has never been that big, and the dark blue glob under the Disney DVD logo hasn't been on a DVD in aaaages, and where's the FastPlay logo? (Although the fact that the certification logos are there threatens that theory...)

3. The information bar looks like something off one of the 2-movie packs such as The Fox and the Hound double-pack or the Mulan double-pack, so it's possible that what we're seeing is just a slipcover.

4. I completely agree with you about Aladdin, though I would have phrased it exactly like that... :lol:
Ariel'sprince
Platinum Edition

Post by Ariel'sprince »

steve wrote:
yukitora wrote:Walt didn't like Alice? Where did he say that? I personally thought she was great, plus it was Walt's fave children's novel.
It's well-documented that Walt didn't like Alice. He said that there was no heart to the character. He believed that they didn't achieve what they had with Cinderella in Alice or Peter in that you just don't feel for the character or root for the character.
That's werid,I think both of them are great,no heart? I really felt for Alice in Very Good Advice (Thought the lyrics are funny,"I always give myself a very good advice but seldom follow it" :P),thought Cinderella does have more heart.
Maybe it isn't the final cover,UK cover have Fast Play?,Genie does looks werid and Aladdin looks high (But at least he's much on model here) but Jasmine looks very pretty,also the logo is from the PE.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I always loved the fact that I had the same opinion as Walt did on this subject. Even before I heard of this, I always felt Peter Pan and Alice were rather hard characters to like.