Important(?) BBFC Aladdin posting (Blu-ray soon?)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
2099net
Signature Collection

Important(?) BBFC Aladdin posting (Blu-ray soon?)

Post by 2099net »

For those who don't know the BBFC is like the UK's MPAA - the difference is unlike America where unrated material is allowed to be released, by UK law all video content has to be classified with a rating before being released.

Anyhow, today the following appeared on their website:
ALADDIN Video Feature
Classified 14 May, 2008 . Run Time 86m 38s

Consumer Advice: No consumer advice is available for this work

This work was passed with no cuts made.

The BBFC has placed this work in the ADDITIONAL PRODUCTION MATERIAL genre(s). The main spoken language in this work is English.

Directed by John Musker; Ron Clements
The cast for this work includes: Robin Williams (voice), Scott Weinger (voice), Linda Larkin (voice), Jonathan Freeman (voice), Frank Welker (voice), Gilbert Gottfried (voice).

When submitted to the BBFC the work had a running time of 86m 38s.

This work was submitted to the BBFC by Buena Vista Home Entertainment .
Buena Vista Home Entertainment identified this work as Additional material: MUSICAL MASTERPIECE - ALADDIN
So what exactly is this - its labeled as additional material, runs for the same time as the film itself does, and is not from the previous Platinum/2 disc release.

Could this be a Blu-ray extra? A Picture in Picture track? Interactive commentary? Information subtitles? Who knows?!?! (Note: All Blu-ray discs are currently all at 60fps just like NTSC DVDs, so there is no PAL speed-up. PAL and NTSC do not exist in the HD formats).

You can see the document here.

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/website/Classifie ... enDocument
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
Jack Skellington
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jack Skellington »

This could be possible, since Aladdin isn't part of the Platinum line any more which I've always said was a good thing coz I'll get the bluray sooner !
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

netty wrote:Information subtitles?
The 2004 DVD had information subtitles ("Pop Up Fun Facts"), but would they have to be re-classified again?

I have a feeling that using the term "Musical Masterpiece" could make it a tie-in to the California Adventure stage show. Perhaps it'll be a picture-in-picture comparison of the stage show to the animated film.

Then again, it also says "Part Subtitled" in the General Remarks, so it could just be the Pop Up Fun Facts again...

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
nomad2010
Special Edition

Post by nomad2010 »

Jack Skellington wrote:This could be possible, since Aladdin isn't part of the Platinum line any more which I've always said was a good thing coz I'll get the bluray sooner !
wait it's not in the platinum line anymore? it was... so why would they remove it?
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

Well i noticed this before, but decided to ignore it, for two reasons. First of all it's all gone through for online sales, so I'm assuming there will be some kind of itunes thing going on.

Also as you mention, the running time. The running time is the 86 minute PAL version, so couldnt be for a bluray release.

Although whilst flicking through the previous classifications for Aladdin i spotted it has been passed in the past with 95 and 96 minute runtime. Anyone got a clue what is going on there? Probably just lumping the film's runtimes with the trailers I guess.
drfsupercenter
Anniversary Edition

Post by drfsupercenter »

This work was passed with no cuts made.
Yeah, right... at least no cuts they were told about... we all know what they did to Arabian Nights and that "good kitty, take off" line...
This could be possible, since Aladdin isn't part of the Platinum line any more which I've always said was a good thing coz I'll get the bluray sooner !
WTF? Of course it's still part of it. Last I checked the PEs don't disown titles...
That being said, the PE of Aladdin sucks because of the edits...
Scamander
Special Edition

Post by Scamander »

In the Platinum Edition Aladdin was replaced by Alice in Wonderland. On the german PE-Site Disney actually pretend there was never a release in the PE.

http://www.disney.de/DisneyVideos/platinum/

I guess they will release it soon as a regular DVD and that's why it was rated by the BBFC.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Scamander wrote:In the Platinum Edition Aladdin was replaced by Alice in Wonderland. On the german PE-Site Disney actually pretend there was never a release in the PE.

http://www.disney.de/DisneyVideos/platinum/

I guess they will release it soon as a regular DVD and that's why it was rated by the BBFC.
That video shows clips from "Aladdin", and none from "Alice in Wonderland", but if you click on the scroll next to Peter Pan on the site, it doesn't list a title for 2004! "Alice in Wonderland" still isn't listed or mentioned...but they erased history! The timeline makes it look like there was no Platinum Edition released in 2004!!! That's strange! :?

But, in the pull-down timeline, located when you click the yellow bar above Aurora's head, "Alice in Wonderland" IS listed!!! WTF?!?!?
Scamander
Special Edition

Post by Scamander »

The Video is just older than the decision to remove Aladdin from the PE. Month ago there was Aladdin listed for 2004 and in the pull-down menu instead of Alice.
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

I doubt it'll happen. I think that's just a glitch or mistake on behalf of Disney.de administrators. I've seen the same image on Disney Brazil and "Aladdin" is included in it.

From what I've heard the main factor in deciding which Disney title would get a Platinum billing is the number of copies sold. Wouldn't it make more sense to replace "Aladdin" with "Mulan", "Tarzan" or "Fantasia 2000", or even "Pocahontas" (given that they all were all commercial and critical success), instead of "Alice", which many Disney fans consider a failure and a really bad film?

I love "Aladdin". It's a great film, it's a part of Disney's '90s Renaissance, it's extremely popular, and its sequels are among company's highest rated DTV sequels. I see no reason for kicking it out of Platinum line. Even if it's true, wouldn't the simpler solution be to include both "Aladdin" and "Alice in Wonderland" in the line?
Jack Skellington
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jack Skellington »

It's really obvious why disney is kicking this movie out.
It's because of a certain person who's still playing hide and seek after succesfuly spoiling the reputation of a whole religion and race. :roll:

I bet if it was the Germans who were driving the plane Snow White would have been kicked out instead. Funny how movie companies think these days. :roll:
drfsupercenter
Anniversary Edition

Post by drfsupercenter »

What "Disney" are you referring to here?

Disney.com is the official site, not sure why you're using Disney.de...
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

Disney.de = official Disney site for Germany (Deutschland).
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Jack Skellington wrote:It's really obvious why disney is kicking this movie out.
It's because of a certain person who's still playing hide and seek after succesfuly spoiling the reputation of a whole religion and race. :roll:

I bet if it was the Germans who were driving the plane Snow White would have been kicked out instead. Funny how movie companies think these days. :roll:
Do you really think that that's the reason that Aladdin got "kicked out" of the Platinum Edition line? I can't imagine. I think that this subject has been discussed before, but the Aladdin PE was put out in 2004, 3 years after 9/11. I don't think that people associate Aladdin with terrorism, if that's what you're implying. I mean, I definitely can see where you're coming from, but I don't know. My guess is that, if Aladdin indeed won't return as a Platinum Edition title, it is because the DVD didn't sell as well as hoped; it was on shelves a LOT longer than the other Platinum Editions. Why people didn't want to buy the bonus-feature-filled PE I don't know. Unless Disney made a heck of a lot more copies of Aladdin than other PEs and wanted it to seem that no one wanted to buy it. But that doesn't make much sense.
Scamander
Special Edition

Post by Scamander »

Well, maybe it's just a mistake by disney.de

But there are facts against that:

1. Alice in Wonderland is since January OOP worldwide
2. If it's a mistake, disney.co.uk did it, too

http://www.disney.co.uk/DisneyDVDs/ ->DVDs -> Disney Vault

3. Month ago there was Aladdin listed instead of Alice in Wonderland
4. Aladdin is in the US still available (or again???)
5. many rumours by many different sources here on UD

So, dou you really believe it's a mistake??
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

I guess you're right then :(.

Does this mean Jasmine's on the way to be kicked out of Disney Princess line?
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

drfsupercenter wrote:That being said, the PE of Aladdin sucks because of the edits...
So aside from the amazing audio/visual presentation that's been digitally remastered, the hours of bonus material from commentaries to a well-done documentary that's actually worth watching/listening, and the fact that it's a great movie regardless if it were being presented from a 16mm projector onto a bedroom sheet hanging in a garage...you're saying that the DVD still sucks?

There's no pleasing everybody is there? I'm against the edits as well, but it doesn't stop me from enjoying the movie or its presentation. And it certainly doesn't make me write off the wonderful efforts of the filmmakers and DVD producers in creating one of the best DVDs Disney has ever done.
Jack Skellington wrote:It's really obvious why disney is kicking this movie out.
Do you *seriously* believe that the only reason why a mega-company like Disney is "kicking out" a movie like Aladdin from the "beloved" Platinum line is because they're afraid ignorant consumers will come to the conclusion that Disney supports terrorism just because a 1992 animated film happens to be set in a very fictional presentation of the Middle East? Whether we like it or not, every nation has its own little group of terrorists. Just because the Middle East is the most well-known/popular to discuss and rag on doesn't mean they're a major factor in why a movie studio decides that a not-selling-as-well-as-they-hoped DVD of an animated movie be removed from its overinflated-in-its-importance Platinum line. Don't let politics cloud economic judgment.
Jack Skellington wrote:I bet if it was the Germans who were driving the plane Snow White would have been kicked out instead. Funny how movie companies think these days.
Yes, and if Australians were crashing planes into skyscrapers Disney would cancel its plans for The Rescuers Down Under: Special Edition.

Or, heaven forbid, some French radicals decide to bomb the US Treasury and suddenly Beauty and the Beast is forever vaulted and forgotten...

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
DaveWadding
Collector's Edition

Post by DaveWadding »

Escapay wrote:
Or, heaven forbid, some French radicals decide to bomb the US Treasury and suddenly Beauty and the Beast is forever vaulted and forgotten...

Albert
Now now Al...everybody knows the first word every Frenchman ever learns is "surrender" :p
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

DaveWadding wrote:Now now Al...everybody knows the first word every Frenchman ever learns is "surrender" :p
What? Don't we have rules about insulting nations or races? Seriously, this is not funny.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
drfsupercenter
Anniversary Edition

Post by drfsupercenter »

My guess is that, if Aladdin indeed won't return as a Platinum Edition title, it is because the DVD didn't sell as well as hoped; it was on shelves a LOT longer than the other Platinum Editions. Why people didn't want to buy the bonus-feature-filled PE I don't know. Unless Disney made a heck of a lot more copies of Aladdin than other PEs and wanted it to seem that no one wanted to buy it. But that doesn't make much sense.
Because it was edited. :lol:

Seriously, wtf is so bad about "where they cut off your ear if they don't like your face"? They reference cutting off hands and slitting throats as it is... jeez.

That being said, I bought it about a month ago after learning it was in the Vault and seeing what happened to prices of The Lion King and Beauty and the Beast (though I personally hate what they did to them) after it was OOP. You can still buy it new from Amazon, I got mine from Buy.com shortly before they sold out. It even came with the "rare" paper slipcase. So dunno.

And as far as not selling well, they still have Cinderella in stock and even the limited edition gift pack! If those didn't sell out I expect the normal one to be in stock for a long, long time.