The Aristocats: 2-Disc (?) Special Edition DVD Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

magicalwands wrote:It seems animators were too lazy to erase all of their sketch marks.
Animators have never erased their sketchmarks.

Plus that was the intended use of the xerox process, to retain the animators lines.
Matt
Anniversary Edition

Post by Matt »

I must say, I did not like this Special Edition release AT ALL. It was not restored nice, it looked the same to me, just matted. the bonus features weren't even enough to upgrade, Disney has gone so down hill with there re-releases. :(
Billy Moon
Special Edition

Post by Billy Moon »

Matt wrote:it looked the same to me, just matted.
I think the previous release looked pretty good already. The TV episode (if only an excerpt) and the deleted song featurette were both great extras IMO. True, there isn't loads of material, but with a 16:9 transfer and two great new extras, I don't feel my money was wasted at all.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

I was really miffed about a minor thing that happened whilst watching the new Aristocats DVD (region 2).

As soon as "Ev'rybody Wants To Be a Cat" started, a subtitle appeared onscreen spelling out the name of the song. I found it to be very distracting and unsightly - especially since it's player generated and the characters are the expected way, all jagged and rough-looking*.

*Incidentally I have a similar problem with my Chicken Little region 2 disc. When the aliens are speaking gibberish out in space, the film displays text transalting what they say. On the UK DVD, the text is not on the film, but generated by the DVD player in ugly yellow letters. Yeuch!
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

OK, I'm bumping this up again (after just a few hours) so that at least someone might take notice and confirm if the above happens on all copies. It's really quite serious, you know.

Have I touched anyone's heart?
akhenaten
Anniversary Edition

Post by akhenaten »

cant u just turn off the subtitle?

as for the chicken little case..yea i hate it when official subtitles are not embedded into the film. for example my region 3 LOTR dvds..all the elven language translation are separate subtitles that automatically pops out instead of being in the film itself. i guess this was done to accomodate for different language dubbings.
Last edited by akhenaten on Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
do you still wait for me Dream Giver?
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Post by PeterPanfan »

No, Julian, that doesn't happen on my DVD.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

akhenaten wrote:cant u just turn off the subtitle?
But it is turned off. That's why it's a mysterious case. Unlike Chicken Little, there seems to be no point to it (to elaborate, why on earth should the name of "Ev'rybody Wants to be a Cat" appear onscreen as a subtitle at the song's start? It doesn't even happen to any of the other songs).
Peter Panny Fan wrote:No, Julian, that doesn't happen on my DVD.
Perhaps that's because you have the Region 1 disc? Nevertheless, most recently-released animation Disney DVDs in Region 2 are always almost identical to their Region 1 counterparts. I don't know ...