Walt Disney Treasures: Wave 7 DVDs Press Release

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Gurgi30
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Gurgi30 »

I received all three from Amazon yesterday and they were in flawless condition.

Yes Virginia there is a Santa Clause.
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

Pluto Region1 wrote:
Big Disney Fan wrote:Yesterday, I went to Best Buy to see if I could get the Treasures. The only one I could find was Oswald. The next day, I went to Costco to again get them, but again, all I found was Oswald. Needless to say, I was getting mad. Then, acting on a tip from a fellow forum member, I went to Sam's Club to try again. But all they had was the WWII DVD from long ago. Needless to say, I was so mad, I started feeling like I was being cheated. How DARE they don't have ALL of the Treasures, and at Christmas, when they're needed most! I'm beginning to think that the ONLY place to reliably find them ALL is at Amazon. What am I gonna do?
That is exactly how I felt, driving around and around to Best Buy, etc to no avail. See my earlier posts. You can order from Best Buy, order from Amazon (if you don't mind the condition of the tins when they arrive), I guess try Sam's Club, Costco, or order from Disneyshopping.com (see my earlier post for the link for the site).
Well, I guess Amazon is probably the best bet for me. As for the tins, I don't really care about them. I just care about the DVDs themselves.
wdwleesa
Gold Classic Collection

Post by wdwleesa »

I am so glad everyone is finally receiving their Treasures and that they are happy with condition, etc. I am one, too, who drove all over town to store after store trying to hunt them down. Next year, it's Amazon for me as well. I am one that really doesn't care about the dings on the tins but I do prefer to buy from a store rather than order because I like that instant gratification feeling!! But, it was more frustration than anything this year so I guess I will order next year. Hopefully with the demand, Disney will see that they need to continue this line.

Leesa :minnie:
Timon/Pumbaa fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Timon/Pumbaa fan »

I finally got around to going to Best Buy and they had an unlimited supply of Oswald, but no Donald or Disneyland.

They even had The Chronological Donald Vol. 1(yes Vol. 1), Mickey Mouse Club, Mickey Mouse in Black and White Vol. 2, The Hardy Boy, The Adventures of Spin and Marty and Pluto Vol. 2.

Of course, this is the same Best Buy that didn't get Donald Duck Vol. 2 until over year after it was released, so I'm hoping Best Buy just has it in stock and won't put it out for a while.

But I have to wonder why Disney is so daft into thinking Oswald would be such a big seller. No one but animation fans really know who Oswald is, and before last week almost no one has seen an Oswald short, and while I'll probably buy it at some point, it's low on my priority list.

Frankly, I always somewhat thought it was a mistake to buy Oswalds' rights back, and it looks like I was right.
TM2-Megatron
Anniversary Edition

Post by TM2-Megatron »

But I have to wonder why Disney is so daft into thinking Oswald would be such a big seller. No one but animation fans really know who Oswald is, and before last week almost no one has seen an Oswald short, and while I'll probably buy it at some point, it's low on my priority list.
I'm not sure we can say yet that it's not as big a seller as the other two. There were 70,000 more Oswald tins produced than either of the other sets this wave; which is probably a big contributor to the excess most of us have seen in its stock level compared to Donald and Disneyland.
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

TM2-Megatron wrote:
I'm not sure we can say yet that it's not as big a seller as the other two. There were 70,000 more Oswald tins produced than either of the other sets this wave; which is probably a big contributor to the excess most of us have seen in its stock level compared to Donald and Disneyland.
My mom asked me if I wanted Oswald more or Disneyland and I instantly replied, "Disneyland."
Timon/Pumbaa fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Timon/Pumbaa fan »

TM2-Megatron wrote: There were 70,000 more Oswald tins produced than either of the other sets this wave; which is probably a big contributor to the excess most of us have seen in its stock level compared to Donald and Disneyland.
Yeah, but that's my question.

Why would Disney create over twice as many Oswald sets than Disneyland and Donald? Disneyland is easily waaaaaay more popular than Oswald and the Donald sets probably the sets people who don't normally buy Treasures would buy(even a couple people here have express having only interest in Donald).

So really, what's with the high expectations for such a rare and unknown character?
Last edited by Timon/Pumbaa fan on Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

Timon/Pumbaa fan wrote:So really, what's with the high expectations for such a rare and unknown character?
You know, instead of asking us, why don't you ask Disney itself?
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

Timon/Pumbaa fan wrote:Why would Disney create over twice as many Oswald sets than Disneyland and Donald? Disneyland is easily waaaaaay more popular than Oswald and Donald is probably the sets people who don't normally but Treasures would buy(even a couple people here have express having only interest in Donald).

So really, what's with the high expectations for such a rare and unknown character?
well it does seem strange, as I pointed out on this thread (or another) earlier. Perhaps Disney have a big Oswald push lined up for 2008? But even then, people purchasing the Treasures set on a whim from seeing some advertising are likely to be disappointed.

My Tins are of course winging their way over here as I type, but are unlikely to arrive before 2008. But I know the black and white Mickey set could be tiring to watch at times. I expect the Oswald toons to be more so.
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
MK Sharp
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MK Sharp »

Timon/Pumbaa fan wrote:Frankly, I always somewhat thought it was a mistake to buy Oswalds' rights back, and it looks like I was right.
Because a better outcome would have been to leave these films with Universal so they could stay locked in a vault somewhere, and people who want to see then couldn't. Plus there's the added benefit that a couple of the films might have laid undisturbed in a foreign archive until they finally turned to powder. :roll:

Just because you don't appreciate something doesn't make it bad or wrong. I'm looking forward to it immensely, and I'm sure I'll return to watch the Oswald set again and again. For me, this is one the finest releases Disney has put out, and I'm hugely grateful they've committed the time and effort and resources to make it happen.

I think Disney may have been a little over-optimistic about the number of units of Oswald they might shift, but that's no reason for not doing it at all.
"I hope we never lose sight of one thing - that this was all started by a little girl and a cat. And a rabbit."
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

MK Sharp wrote:I think Disney may have been a little over-optimistic about the number of units of Oswald they might shift, but that's no reason for not doing it at all.
Well, I suppose you're right, but still, the least they could do was have the amounts of Donald and Disneyland DVDs equal those of Oswald.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Has anyone noticed that the Oswald shorts on the "Woody Woodpecker" set that came out earlier this year seem to be in better condition? Just something I noticed while watching.

:)
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

I got the Disneyland DVD for Christmas and will be getting Donald 3 at a later date (got an IOU of sorts, explaining such through an Amazon image that it would be coming soon).

But for now, all I got is the Disneyland DVD.
Gregbert

Post by Gregbert »

2099net wrote: My Tins are of course winging their way over here as I type, but are unlikely to arrive before 2008. But I know the black and white Mickey set could be tiring to watch at times. I expect the Oswald toons to be more so.
Speaking for myself, I thought the Oswald shorts were easier to watch. They seemd to be very energetic and just fun. I hope you enjoy it. :)
Anne
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Anne »

Today I received Donald in the mail from Amazon. It is in PERFECT condition! I'm really happy!

Now I have the three sets :D
Jeffel
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Jeffel »

You get post on Boxing Day?
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

Just thought I'd put this question here. How many movie rewards points do you get with the WD Treasures Wave 7? Someone told me 100 for each tin, but I just wanted to confirm. :?
Anne
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Anne »

Jeffel, actually I received it on the 24th but I wasn't home so I needed to go and pick it up today at the post office ;)
Anne
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Anne »

Barbossa, it's 125 points each.
Loomis
Signature Collection
Location: Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Post by Loomis »

Got all of mine in perfect condition from Amazon, and have only really watched the primary documentary on the 'Disneyland' one as yet (it was the one I've most been waiting for, to be honest). Top stuff, and the Ticket book is pure icing.

I was thinking about the Oswald numbering, as the certificate instantly jumps out as a high number. Is it possible that because Disney have finally got Oswald back, and as such this is their first opportunity to make some money off him, that they are simply trying to make as much as possible? Donald and Disneyland packages they have had many opportunities to do things with before, and indeed the Donald shorts usually pop up somewhere else from time to time. Perhaps this is the first big push to make Oswald "cannon"? (Or more likely, to make Oswald profitable).
Behind the Panels - Comic book news, reviews and podcast
The Reel Bits - All things film
Twitter - Follow me on Twitter