Frog Princess found & renamed!

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Tk2

Frog Princess found & renamed!

Post by Tk2 »

"The Planet Gossip side of E! News Online suggests that Anika Noni Rose, star of last year’s Dreamgirls, has landed the coveted lead role in Disney’s The Frog Princess. It is rumored that the actress was chosen from a list that also included fellow Dreamgirls star Jennifer Hudson, Alicia Keys and Tyra Banks. Meanwhile, the site also indicates that the film’s main character, once known as Maddy, may have experienced a name change, while the film itself is supposedly now titled The Princess and the Frog."

http://www.eonline.com/gossip/planetgos ... 0ee3432d89
Prudence
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prudence »

Good luck to Anika, if she did get the part.
That's hot.
slave2moonlight
Diamond Edition

Post by slave2moonlight »

I'm glad if it's "The Princess and the Frog" now, as I really didn't see the need for doing a rehash of the story since no one had really done a great, animated "Frog Prince" story before. Assuming it will be similar to that story. However, It's too bad they don't call it "The Frog Prince." But if they're making it a little different anyway, like if they're still setting it in New Orleans and all, then I guess changing the title a bit is reasonable. Of course, I think it's mainly to keep focus on the new Disney princess rather than prince, since Disney princesses are all the rage.
PapiBear
Banned

Post by PapiBear »

Glad to hear it. I like Anika Noni Rose.

Glad to hear of the name change, both of the title and of the character.

Now all they gotta do is dump the British prince and get her an African prince, dump the 1920s timeline, and dump the white plantation owners, and they should be good to go.
All have fallen short.
Let's stop throwing stones at people who have made mistakes in their life, and let's start throwing medicines and food at those who need it the most.
- Bono
darth_deetoo
Special Edition

Post by darth_deetoo »

I don't see why they have to do an 'african' princess version of the story. I'll reserve judgement until the film comes out but it just smacks of political correctness gone mad.
Left. Waiting for account to be deleted.
PapiBear
Banned

Post by PapiBear »

darth_deetoo wrote:I don't see why they have to do an 'african' princess version of the story. I'll reserve judgement until the film comes out but it just smacks of political correctness gone mad.
Yes, of course. God forbid Black people should have anything good. God forbid.

Did you know they even allow us into Disney theme parks? Does that ruin the experience for you?
All have fallen short.
Let's stop throwing stones at people who have made mistakes in their life, and let's start throwing medicines and food at those who need it the most.
- Bono
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

The more and more I think about it, the more and more I don't think this has much to do with the traditional "Frog Prince" story. I think it has some parallels (like someone turning into a frog at some point), but that may be about it. I could imagine if this were the case, why they would change the title.

Perhaps she's not the one who is turned into a frog. Maybe the prince is turned into a frog and that's how they meet. The evil voo-doo person transforms him into a frog for some evil scheme and she discovers hims an tries to save him, then falling in love at some point. Afterall, I'm still trying to figure out how the prince of england would fall for a servant on a plantation in New Orleans.
Disney-Fan
Platinum Edition
Location: Where it's flat and immense and the heat is intense

Post by Disney-Fan »

PapiBear wrote: Yes, of course. God forbid Black people should have anything good. God forbid.

Did you know they even allow us into Disney theme parks? Does that ruin the experience for you?
Gotta say, pretty radical interpretation of the text right there. I didn't get a prejudice vibe from the original poster at all. No need to snap at him.
"See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve." - The Joker
Disneyfreak1990
Special Edition

Post by Disneyfreak1990 »

i would hate for this to be true since there is a fairy tale called The Frog Princess invented by the russians. the story is of three princes of the king and he wants to test them for marriage and the youngest son finds a frog who takes pity on him and he kisses the frog and the frog is a girl. she became a frog thanks to the evil witch Baba Yaga. all the movie is doing is just makeing it an american version of a russian story and in order to do that they needed a time of magic and they chose Voodoo and it was strong in the early twentys and they needed a black princess so where better than New Orleans which i think is a good choice. we'll know more next year and 2009 after Rapunzal or American Dog.
Prudence
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prudence »

Disneyfreak1990 wrote:i would hate for this to be true since there is a fairy tale called The Frog Princess invented by the russians. the story is of three princes of the king and he wants to test them for marriage and the youngest son finds a frog who takes pity on him and he kisses the frog and the frog is a girl. she became a frog thanks to the evil witch Baba Yaga. all the movie is doing is just makeing it an american version of a russian story and in order to do that they needed a time of magic and they chose Voodoo and it was strong in the early twentys and they needed a black princess so where better than New Orleans which i think is a good choice. we'll know more next year and 2009 after Rapunzal or American Dog.
No, Disney is making a gender-reversed version of The Frog Prince. The Russian story is completely different.
That's hot.
Poody
Anniversary Edition

Post by Poody »

I thought all along they were making "The Frog Princess"based on the russian story as well.... :roll:
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I'm pretty sure The Frog Princess is supposed to be an original story. I mean, what would a little girl in New Orleans have to do with a magically transformed frog?

I'm glad for the name change of the heroine, but The Princess and the Frog is kind of a crappy title. It sounds like a less classic imitation of Beauty and the Beast.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I'm pretty sure The Frog Princess is supposed to be an original story. I mean, what would a little girl in New Orleans have to do with a magically transformed frog?.
Well, the same thing "Oliver Twist" has to do with stray dogs living in New York City...
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
darth_deetoo
Special Edition

Post by darth_deetoo »

PapiBear wrote:Yes, of course. God forbid Black people should have anything good. God forbid.

You know, I actually find your response quite offensive, but I kind of expected some people to take my comment the wrong way.

For the record, I don't have a problem with anyone of any race.

You know, I love Mulan and Pocahontas, if I was racist, I would have been up in arms about an Asian and Native American Princess.

In fact, I might even take exception to an Atlantican Princess, a Gypsy Princess, an Atlantean Princess. Come back to reality for a moment!

You know the new Doctor Who girl is a coloured girl (geeze, it's so hard picking out a word to describe black people these day because you have to walk on eggshells so as not to offend them!)

You know what, I love Freema Agyeman in Doctor Who. She is far superior to Billie Piper, and she's probably my favourite Who girl for a long time, easily going back to Peter Davison's run. I think she's beautiful, and the character she plays is strong and intelligent - I love her!

I just felt that this was a story based on a classic fairytale, where the lead was not coloured, and it was not set in a New Orleans location. It feels as though it's an attempt at political correctness. Gee, we've never had a Black Princess before. The Princesses are such role models for young girls, we have to have a Black Princess. To be honest, I would be more offended by that than the fact that they are actually doing it.

But if you had bothered to read my post properly and considered my words instead of reacting against them, you'd have seen that I said I'd reserve judgement until it came out.

You know, it's crass reactions like that which are preventing Song of the South being released onto DVD!!!
PapiBear
Banned

Post by PapiBear »

darth_deetoo wrote:
PapiBear wrote:Yes, of course. God forbid Black people should have anything good. God forbid.

You know, I actually find your response quite offensive,
Really? Well I found your original comment quite offensive.

darth_deetoo wrote:For the record, I don't have a problem with anyone of any race.
No, of course not. You just don't see why we should get a Disney princess that looks like us.
darth_deetoo wrote:You know, I love Mulan and Pocahontas, if I was racist, I would have been up in arms about an Asian and Native American Princess.
You might have. You might not have. Racism isn't necessarily an across-the-board thing. Some people are biased against certain groups outside their own but give others a pass.
darth_deetoo wrote:You know the new Doctor Who girl is a coloured girl (geeze, it's so hard picking out a word to describe black people these day because you have to walk on eggshells so as not to offend them!)
How about "Black people"? That's what we are. Or "Africans"? That's also what we are (although some of us deny the term, which is ridiculous). The term "colored" is antiquated, and most of us consider it offensive. The term "people of color" or "person of color" (POC) is acceptable, however. I realize you're ignorant about us (or unaware, if you'd prefer), but you don't have to "walk on eggshells," just learn about us and treat us with the same respect you treat your family.
darth_deetoo wrote:I just felt that this was a story based on a classic fairytale, where the lead was not coloured, and it was not set in a New Orleans location. It feels as though it's an attempt at political correctness. Gee, we've never had a Black Princess before. The Princesses are such role models for young girls, we have to have a Black Princess. To be honest, I would be more offended by that than the fact that they are actually doing it.
OK, let me see if I have it right - you thought the story was based on a European fairy tale (which is unconfirmed), but because it's being made with an African American lead female character, it's an attempt at political correctness, yet you claim that we need to have a Black princess, yet you're offended that that's what's actually happening. Right? So, you don't like the idea of a Black princess, yet you admit that a Black princess is necessary, yet you don't like the fact that they're making a movie with a Black princess. OK, got it.
darth_deetoo wrote:But if you had bothered to read my post properly
Excuse me? "Properly"? Tell me, your highness, just what is the "proper" way to read your royal posts? Whilst having a spot of tea?

Ever stop to consider that maybe you just wrote it wrong? (I doubt it.)
darth_deetoo wrote:and considered my words instead of reacting against them, you'd have seen that I said I'd reserve judgement until it came out.
If you'd have considered your own words more carefully before posting, you wouldn't be in the position you are now.
darth_deetoo wrote:You know, it's crass reactions like that which are preventing Song of the South being released onto DVD!!!
And little miss Londontown's true colors come out after all.....
All have fallen short.
- Bono
akhenaten
Anniversary Edition

Post by akhenaten »

papibear..i think what deeto meant was its OKAY and highly applauded to have an african princess, it's just the reason behind it and the execution thats bothersome. is it essential to the story? politic? marketing? complaints? request?

imho, if its done simply to please the black community by slapping it to any story just to be PC. then i wouldnt be pleased. like u suggested, put african princess in african stories that it belongs, or any story that fits. :D
do you still wait for me Dream Giver?
darth_deetoo
Special Edition

Post by darth_deetoo »

You know, I think someone's got a chip on their shoulder.

It's amazing how some people will take a person's comments and misinterpret them to try and score a point.

I'm still trying to work out where I said I didn't like the idea of a black princess, but I felt a black princess was necessary.

I'm going to say again - Mulan, Kida, Pocahontas, Esmeralda. Mmm, let's throw in Jasmine, Tigerlily, Nita, Shanti and Nani.

You know this is exactly the same kind of misguided reasoning where people decide that it's time that we had a black or female James Bond or Doctor Who. Just to satisfy political correctness.

It extends to anything, be it race, sexual preference or gender. The PC brigade decides that it's time to have a black princess, a gay Doctor, a female Bond.

Any decisions should be in service to the story. As I understand it, this is based on a story which does not have it's roots in African culture. But as I said, I'll reserve judgement until that time.

My concern is that this is just pandering to a vocal minority who scream racism at the drop of a hat. But I see this same person is also beating their chest on the theme park board about gay issues too.

Mmm, I bet this person was the same kind of person who accused George Lucas of racism with the Star Wars Saga. How Anakin was a sweet, wholesome white boy until he was corrupted and became the baddest brother in the galaxy. Get over it!
darth_deetoo
Special Edition

Post by darth_deetoo »

For the record, I also think it's pretty cheap to take other people's posts, and isolate quotes outside of the whole posting, then twist them to try and make them look bad.

If you'rs so insecure, or so angry at life, that you feel you have to do that - well, I just pity you.
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

The Princess and the Frog? That shows a lot of imagination. I'm glad the old Disney is magic back. Lasseter is really firing on all cylinders now!
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
brownie
Special Edition

Post by brownie »

I think they chose to have a Black princess in New Orleans to present a different culture that wasn't in past films. Disney could do the same European-style Disney princess film again and again, but it would get boring, wouldn't it? I doubt they chose to have her solely for the sake of being politically correct.

And I don't really like the new title. I don't really know what role frogs play in the movie, though, so maybe The Princess and the Frog is more relevant to the film.