The Definitive Slipcover List/Discussion: DVDs & Blu-Ray

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Jake Lipson
Anniversary Edition

The Definitive Slipcover List/Discussion: DVDs & Blu-Ray

Post by Jake Lipson »

Due to the excessive volume of slipcover questions, I am adding a disclaimer to the top of this post (February 2007.) Pay attention!:

<b><i><u><font color=red>IF THE TITLE YOU ARE LOOKING FOR DOES NOT APPEAR IN THIS POST, IT DOES NOT HAVE A SLIPCOVER. PERIOD.</B></i></u></font color=red>

Over the last couple months I've noticed I've come to appreciate Disney's cardboard slipcovers for some strange reason, and I think they just look neat. I've also seen a few posts here and there which would seem to indicate I'm not the only one here like that. And seeing as there have been reports of DVDs originally released with slipcovers being seen without them I thought it'd be a good idea to start a defenative listing of all the DVDs with slipcovers.

A few important things to note:

1) This list is for Region 1 DVDs ONLY (USA and Canada.) International releases are a whole different deal. Also, this does NOT count Digipacks in the extremely rare occasion that Disney releases a title in a digipack. Similarly, the outer box to the Ultimate Toy Box or the Fantasia Antholegy, which are containers for their separate keepcases, do not count as slipcovers either; nor do the Walt Disney Treasures or other kinds of special casing count. Oh, and this list only deals with "Disney" DVD releases; other Buena Vista divisions such as TouchStone and Miramax may release certian films with slipcovers, but those are not dealt with here.

2) The list is organized in CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER of the DVD release. All DVDs released prior to Beauty and the Beast DID NOT come with a slipcover.

3) ALL SLIPCOVERS unless otherwise specifically noted ARE LIMITED TO THE INITIAL PRESSINGS OF THE DISCS. Thus, if the title is older, you will probably not find copies with slipcovers anymore. (You can usually tell its duration of release by where it falls chronologically on the list, or by looking at the Ultimate Disney DVD review of the title for the release date.)

4) If you would like a slipcover for a DVD that came with one, but you did not recieve one because you purchased the DVD later (or for whatever other reason), DISNEY WILL USUALLY SHIP ONE TO YOU if you call them and ask nicely (subject to them having the slipcover around, of course.) If you need to contact Walt Disney Home Entertainment Consumer Relations for a slipcover, or for any other reason (including if you are technical difficulties with a Disney DVD), they can be reached at 1-800-723-4763 (in the United States) or 1-888-877-2843 (in Canada.)

Oh, and, thanks to Luke for his aid in maintaining this list.

Okay, without further ado, here they are:

<b>Beauty and the Beast: Platinum Edition</b> -- The first Disney DVD ever with a slipcover, it opens like a book to reveal an artsy description of the bonus features found on the DVD. The DVD itself is rare, having gone out of print 1/31/03, and reportedly some people have seen copies without slipcovers. My guess is that these copies had their slipcovers manually removed by someone for some reason, since the movie was available for such a short time and was the first with a slipcover, I think they all had them. Not sure though, and this is just guessing of course.

<b>A Bug's Life: Collector's Edition (2003 Reissue Version Only)</b> -- The reissue of the popular Collector's Ediiton of this movie has a slipcover with a cool sort of special holographic shining effect. I don't want to really say it "glows," but I can't figure out how to describe it. It does not open like a book. Anyway, I don't know if it still has the slipcover or not, sorry. (Keepcase has same shiny effect.) <b>There are reports of this and other Pixar films turning up with slipcovers again in summer 2007</b>; this presumably has to do with the repromotion of the discs in conjunction with the theatrical release of <i>Ratatouille</i>.

<b>Sleeping Beauty: Special Edition (2003)</b> -- Opens like a book like Beauty and the Beast. Has been sighted without slipcover since release and newly pressed copies can be assumed to not have them. DVD was taken out of print 01/31/04.

<b>The Lion King: Platinum Edition</b> -- Opens like a book like Beauty and the Beast and Sleeping Beauty. Went out of print January 2005.

<b>Finding Nemo: Collector's Edition</b> -- Initial copies had a slipcover similar to that of A Bug's Life Collector's Edition, with a shiny effect; does NOT of opening like a book.

<b>Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2-Disc Collector's Edition)</b> -- The slipcover does NOT open like a book, but the title is engraved on it.

In related news, the 3-disc gift set of Pirates of the Caribbean which came out last November and adds a new third "Lost Disc" did not contain a slipcover on top of the still-available-separately CE that it includes.

<b>Alice in Wonderland: Masterpiece Edition</b> -- Opens like a book like Beauty and the Beast and Sleeping Beauty.

<b>The Lion King 1½</b> -- Opens like a book and matches the original Lion King DVD.

Note: Though widely expected to have one prior to release, Disney's 2-disc collector's edition release of <b>Brother Bear</b> (street date was March 30, 2004) <b>does not</b> currently have a slipcover and <b>never did.</b> So don't look for one unless you want to be looking in vein.

<b>The Lion King II: Simba's Pride - Special Edition</b> -- The final installment of the Lion King trilogy to appear on DVD in double-disc special edition form has a slipcover like its kin, opening like a book to reveal a description of the featuures included.

<b>Aladdin: Platinum Edition</b> -- Like Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King before it, initial pressings of Aladdin have a slipcover that opens like a book to reveal eye-catching visiuals describing the bonus features in the set.

<b>Mulan: Special Edition</b> -- It had a slipcover in its initial pressings, but it didn't open like a book, glow, or anything of the sort. Exactly the same as the keepcase cover art.

<b>Mickey's Twice Upon a Christmas</b> -- It does have a slipcover.

<b>Mary Poppins: 40th Anniversary Edition</b> -- This one's got a book-opening holographic slipcover that shines.

<b>Mulan II</b> -- It does have a slipcover.

<b>Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind</b>, <b>Porco Rosso</b>, and <b>The Cat Returns</b> all have slipcovers that simply duplicate the DVD cover art.

<b>Bambi</b> -- It does have a slipcover which opens like a book. Unfortunately, most are missing the velcro tabs which allow the slipcover to close, instead having two sticky gobs of glue, which are not very effective in keeping the slipcover shut. Still, if you keep it on the shelf between other discs for a while it should get easier to close.

<b>The Incredibles</b> -- Does have a shiny holographic slipcover, but many copies in its first week were missing them.

<b>Pocahontas: 10th Anniversary Edition</b> -- Has a slipcover, which slips and covers, but does NOT open like a book.

<b>Tarzan II</b> -- Slipcover, semi-holographic, does not open like a book.

<b>Pom Poko</b>, <b>My Neighbors the Yamadas</b> - These slipcovers simply duplicate the cover art.

<b>Lilo & Stitch 2: Stitch Has a Glitch</b> -- This slipcover simply duplicates the cover art.

<b>Toy Story: 10th Anniversary Edition</b> -- This slipcover simply duplicates the cover art, but the "10th" on the slipcover is engraved. <b>There are reports of this and other Pixar films turning up with slipcovers again in summer 2007</b>; this presumably has to do with the repromotion of the discs in conjunction with the theatrical release of <i>Ratatouille</i>.

<b>Cinderella: Platinum Edition</b> -- As is now the Platinum standard, the slipcover duplicates the cover art and opens like a book to display a visual summary of the big selling-point bonus features. Unlike the gluey foul-up with the other 2005 Platinum Edition, Bambi, it DOES have velcro tabs and closes perfectly well.

<b>Tarzan: Special Edition</b> -- This DVD exchanges a slipcover that simply duplicates the cover artwork for an entire second disc of extras. But hey, we're collectors and we don't care, as long as it's uniform. At least it has a slipcover, right? Oh, and Disney's habit of including cutouts for the UPC underneath the slipcover reportedly started as early as this October 2005 release, but definately started in earnest in December 2005. My personal copy of Tarzan does not have the UPC cutout.

<b>The Emperor's New Groove: The New Groove Edition</b> -- As with the concurrently-released Tarzan reissue, this wonderfully-titled DVD exchanges a slipcover that simply duplicates the cover artwork for an entire second disc of extras (and takes the 2-disc out of print at the same time.) But hey, we're collectors and we don't care, as long as it's uniform. At least it has a slipcover, right? Oh, and Disney's habit of including cutouts for the UPC underneath the slipcover reportedly started as early as this October 2005 release, but definately started in earnest in December 2005.

<b>Kronk's New Groove</b>

<b>Toy Story 2: Special Edition</b> -- The characters are also engraved on the slipcover, and it features a removable sticker calling the DVD "Woody's Roundup Edition" that, thankfully, is not on the normal keepcase. <b>There are reports of this and other Pixar films turning up with slipcovers again in summer 2007</b>; this presumably has to do with the repromotion of the discs in conjunction with the theatrical release of <i>Ratatouille</i>.

The filthy abomination called <b>Bambi II</b> -- according to Luke on page 13 of this thread -- "not only comes with a slipcover, and not only does it have the rectangle on back to see the UPC underneath, but -- get this! -- it's a holographic and embossed slipcover. The titles and characters have a little bit of depth to them and when the light catches it right, it practically sings!"

<b>Lady and the Tramp: Platinum Edition</b> - Yes, but it doesn't open like a book.

<b>Howl's Moving Castle</b>, <b>My Neighbor Totoro</b>, <b>Whisper of the Heart</b> - slipcovers seem to be prevalent for <i>Howl's</i> than the other two, which are in fairly limited supply

<b>Remember the Titans: Director's Cut</b> - Yet the DVD is inferior to the film's original release

<b>The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe</b> - Special Two-Disc Collector's Edition only. Opens like a book and not like any previous slipcover (i.e. it doesn't duplicate the keepcase cover art at all). The 4-disc extended edition released later in the year utalized a digipack package.

<b>Dumbo: Big Top Edition</b>

<b>Lady and the Tramp II: Scamp's Adventure</b> (2006 re-release)

<b>Brother Bear 2</b>

<b>The Wild</b>

<b>The Little Mermaid: Platinum Edition</b>

<b>The Fox and the Hound: 25th Anniversary Edition</b>

<b>Cars</b>

<b>Robin Hood: Most Wanted Edition</b>

<b>Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest - 2-Disc Special Edition</b>

<b>High School Musical: Remix Edition</b> (2-disc set)

<b>The Fox and the Hound 2</b>

<b>Air Buddies</b>

<b>Cinderella III: A Twist in Time</b>

<b>Peter Pan: Platinum Edition</b>

<b>Mickey Mouse Clubhouse: Mickey's Great Clubhouse Hunt</b>

<b>Jump In!: Freestyle Edition</b>

<b>Pirates of the Caribbean with Lost Disc (New Wal-Mart Exclusive)</b>

<b>Bridge to Terabithia</b>

<b>The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh: The Friendship Edition</b> - The artwork is engraved on the slipcover for this 2007 reissue of the film.

<b>High School Musical: The Concert - Extreme Access Pass</b>

<b>The Jungle Book: Platinum Edition</b>

<b>Ratatouille</b>

<b>Pixar Short Films Collection, Volume 1</b>

<b>The Santa Clause 3: The Escape Clause</b>

<b>High School Musical 2: Extended Edition</b>

<b>Underdog</b>

<b>Cinderella II: Dreams Come True - Special Edition</b>

<b>National Treasure: 2-Disc Collector's Edition</b>

<b>The Game Plan</b>

<b>The Aristocats: Special Edition</b>

<b>Snow Buddies</b>

<b>101 Dalmatians: Platinum Edition</b>

<b>Classic Caballeros Collection: Saludos Amigos & The Three Caballeros</b>

<b>National Treasure: Book of Secrets</b> (2-Disc Collector's Edition)

*Moderators Note - Part of this thread has been archived here.*
Last edited by Jake Lipson on Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:31 am, edited 40 times in total.
<a href=http://jakelipson.dvdaf.com/owned/ target=blank>My modest collection of little silver movie discss</a>
CJ
Anniversary Edition

Post by CJ »

It has been over a year since Jake has updated the first post. For the time being, I will add to his list in this post. I have also archived all the posts between his and mine. If anyone is interested in reading them, you can find them here.

Dvds:
-101 Dalmatians (1996)
-101 Dalmatians II: Patch's London Adventure - Special Edition
-102 Dalmatians
-Bedtime Stories: Deluxe Edition
-Beverly Hills Chihuahua
-Bolt: Deluxe Edition
-Bunnytown: Hello Bunnies!
-The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian - 3-Disc Collector's Edition
-Hannah Montana DVD Game
-High School Musical DVD Game
-High School Musical 2: 2-Disc Deluxe Dance Edition
-High School Musical 3: Senior Year Extended Edition
-The Jungle Book 2: Special Edition
-Lilo & Stitch: 2-Disc Big Wave Edition
-The Little Mermaid Trilogy Gift Set (all 3 movies have a slipcover)
-The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Beginning
-The Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea (Special Edition)
-Mary Poppins: 45th Anniversary Edition
-Meet the Robinsons
-The Nightmare Before Christmas: 2-Disc Collector's Edition
-Oliver & Company: 20th Anniversary Edition
-Pinocchio: Platinum Edition
-Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End 2 disc Edition
-Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End 1 disc Edition
-Return to Never Land: Pixie Powered Edition
-Return from Witch Mountain (Walt Disney Family Classics)-The Secret of the Magic Gourd
-Sleeping Beauty: Platinum Edition
-Sword in the Stone 45th anniversary Edition
-Tinker Bell
-Walt Disney Animation Collection: Classic Short Films
Volume 1: Mickey and the Beanstalk
-Walt Disney Animation Collection: Classic Short Films - Volume 2: Three Little Pigs

Blu-Ray:
-Bedtime Stories
-Bolt
-Cars
-Chronicles of Narnia, The: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
-The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian 3-Disc Collector's Edition
-High School Musical 3: Senior Year
-The Nightmare Before Christmas
-Pinocchio: Platinum Edition
-Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl
-Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
-Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
-Pixar Shorts
-Ratatouille
-Sleeping Beauty: Platinum Edition
-WALL-E: 3-Disc

(Thanks, Netty, for the link to the Blu-Ray list)

If I have missed any, let me know, and I will add them to the list.
Last edited by CJ on Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:02 am, edited 6 times in total.
tlc38tlc38
Special Edition

Post by tlc38tlc38 »

CJ wrote: If I have missed any, let me know, and I will add them to the list.
DVD- Sword in the Stone 45th anniversary edition has a slipcover
tlc38tlc38
Special Edition

Post by tlc38tlc38 »

Does anyone know if the TINKER BELL Blu-ray comes with a slipcover? I purchased mine at Wal-Mart and none of the copies they had in stock had a slipcover.

Thanks.
drfsupercenter
Anniversary Edition

Post by drfsupercenter »

They had slipcovers at Target. At least I think those were slipcovers... I didn't buy it as I have no interest in owning the DTV sequels.

Howard Ashman:
He gave a mermaid her voice, a beast his soul, and Arabs something to complain about
Arabian Nights (Unedited)
Savages (Uncensored)
If it ain't OTV, it ain't worth anything!
rexcrk
Anniversary Edition

Post by rexcrk »

I wish I knew what the appeal of slipcovers is... I mean I love them too, but I don't know why O_O
But the thing that makes Woody special, is he'll never give up on you... ever. He'll be there for you, no matter what.
tlc38tlc38
Special Edition

Post by tlc38tlc38 »

rexcrk wrote:I wish I knew what the appeal of slipcovers is... I mean I love them too, but I don't know why O_O
It's not that they "appeal" to me. If the movie is supposed to come with a slpcover, I want it basically because I'm paying for it. If it doesn't come with one and it's supposed to, I want some money back or a slipcover in return.
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

i think we like them because they are shiny and the inner 3 year old in all of us cannot deny the appeal of something that blinds us with it's pointlessness, or because they capture our attention distracting us from how pointless a said release really is.

At least that works in regards to a majority of the public, us UD folk see right through the trickery.

*singerguy then goes and hangs up his new Tinkerbell slipcover on his wall with the others and stares at them all aimlessly for a few moments...*
Anne
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Anne »

tlc38tlc38 wrote:Does anyone know if the TINKER BELL Blu-ray comes with a slipcover? I purchased mine at Wal-Mart and none of the copies they had in stock had a slipcover.

Thanks.
I bought my Tinkerbell Blu-Ray at HMV here in Canada and no copies had slipcovers... I went to Future Shop too and none of their copies had a slipcover.
Chernabog_Rocks
Collector's Edition

Post by Chernabog_Rocks »

tlc38tlc38 wrote:
rexcrk wrote:I wish I knew what the appeal of slipcovers is... I mean I love them too, but I don't know why O_O
It's not that they "appeal" to me. If the movie is supposed to come with a slpcover, I want it basically because I'm paying for it. If it doesn't come with one and it's supposed to, I want some money back or a slipcover in return.
Actually your paying for the dvd itself ;) Also, you don't get money back just because a cardboard condom is missing, if you do ask for your money back let me know the response :P

tlc38tlc38: Hi, I'd like some of my money back

Employee: Is there something wrong with your dvd?

tlc38tlc38: Yes, it's missing it's dvd condom

Employee: .....let me get my manager *phones security*

Basically, you don't get any money back for a piece of cardboard your paying for the dvd and the case it comes in :) Also, you don't get a slipcover in return if there weren't any to begin with.
My Disney focused instagram: disneyeternal
tlc38tlc38
Special Edition

Post by tlc38tlc38 »

I wouldn't ask for my money back. That's just an example of how I feel sometimes when you get "ripped off". I wouldn't return it to the store where I bought it from, I'd call (and I'm going to call today) that little number on the disc and ask if it came with a slipcover and if it did, maybe they'll send me one.
tlc38tlc38
Special Edition

Post by tlc38tlc38 »

I called today. The lady said that TINKER BELL did not come with a slipcover. I'm fine with this, but if a slipcover was made I would want it.
disneyguy
Gold Classic Collection

Post by disneyguy »

tlc38tlc38 wrote:I called today. The lady said that TINKER BELL did not come with a slipcover. I'm fine with this, but if a slipcover was made I would want it.
When you buy it the store you have the choice of buying what is there..
No one is making you buy it without a s/c that is you choice. Don't know
why you think you should get money back...
DG
goofystitch
Collector's Edition

Post by goofystitch »

Did anybody notice the new slipcovers made for Disney Halloween movies at Wal-Mart? Certain Halloween themed DVDs, such as Mickey's House of Villians and The Haunted Mansion, had slipcovers on them with an orange boarder around the main cover art. I think this was more of something that Wal-Mart did because non-Disney movies had the same thing, such as Universal's Casper. However, the spine of the Disney releases had the Disney DVD logo on them and I didn't see Wal-Mart on the package.

When shopping at Best Buy the other day, I saw the Gold Collection of Mickey's Once Upon A Christmas, but it was housed inside of a clear plastic slip cover. It created a red boarder around the front cover that said something like "Disney Holiday Classic" on it. The rest of it was clear so that the regular DVD art could be seen underneath. I wonder what other releases will add this and what stores will carry them.
BrandonH
Special Edition

Post by BrandonH »

Today, I gained a couple inches of storage space on my DVD shelves. I threw out about 30 slipcovers from various DVDs. I only kept one, which was holographic and thus different from the image behind it.
"Mustard? Don't let's be silly!"
--Mad Hatter, Alice in Wonderland

My DVDs
CJ
Anniversary Edition

Post by CJ »

I have gone back through the UD reviews, and I have added more dvd slipcovers to the list in my original post.
MrIncredible
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MrIncredible »

The Wall-E 3 disc Blu-ray has a slipsleeve, 2 disc does not. I imagine this will be the same for Prince Caspian next week.

Anyways, this is probably the wrong thread for this, but I was at one of my favourite places around here the other day, and noticed they had a huge number of Finding Nemo's with the slipsleeve (if anyone from wants to know- it's the big HMV at Burrard and Robson, here in Vancouver).
CJ
Anniversary Edition

Post by CJ »

I have updated the list again. Does anyone know if the other editions of Prince Caspian and Wall-e have slipcovers?
JasonSolaris

Post by JasonSolaris »

Hi. I noticed that the Wall-E 3 disc DVD edition has a slipcover in a normal DVD case in a Bestbuy here in Canada. I haven't seen it at other retailers though. Perhaps when they start getting new copies after the cardboard case one starts selling out..
Later
DisneyLuver
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DisneyLuver »

CJ wrote:I have updated the list again. Does anyone know if the other editions of Prince Caspian and Wall-e have slipcovers?
I got the 1-Disc edition, and it has the slipcover (while it isn't listed on the list; only the 3-Disc is)