The Aristocats: 2-Disc (?) Special Edition DVD Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
brotherbear
Special Edition

Post by brotherbear »

WOW! I'm in a state of shock!! :o :o :o
I thought that Disney stopped with 2-Disk SE's after Pocahontas in 2005! (In other words, I wasn't going to get my hopes up after all the 1-Disk-Craptacular versions we've been getting). BUT, I'm still not going to get my hopes up. You guys remembered what happened with the supposed 2-Disk Tarzan SE (2005)?? Heck, Disney advertised everywhere that it was going to be an all-new 2-Disk Special Edition. But it never happened.

Well, if Disney is actually putting out a 2-Disk Aristocats, I will have no choice but to double-dip....for the first time. (I wasn't expecting to double-dip until 101 Dalmatians!!). Actually, that would pretty much stink, because I payed $22 for the GC of the Aristocats. (I know, I know. Stupid to pay that much for it). But to justify it, Aristocats was roughly my second Disney DVD. It didn't occur to my tiny little brain that Best Buy does price matches, or might just lower the price of the DVD. Not to mention, the lack of bonus features and poor video quality. Oh well. At least I have the trailer that will most likely be left off of the new version! :lol:

Anyway, if Disney gives Aristocats 2-Disk treatment, then there's still hope for the others. I just wish Disney would have given the treatment to Fox and the Hound and Dumbo instead. Who knows. Maybe we'll get a new 2-Disk set of The Grand Adventures of Winnie the Pooh! Or, maybe we'll get that (extremely) overdue / long expected Lilo and Stitch 2-Disk SE.

-BB
MY "FAB FOUR": 1- FANTASIA, 2- THE LION KING, 3- BEAUTY AND THE BEAST, 4- THE JUNGLE BOOK

TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

This is quite interesting. I've been needing to pick up this film, and here is a new DVD. 2-Discs sounds pretty good, however, I really don't think that there are many bonus features that could be put on the disc. Possibly, there could be the Original Aspect Ratio on one disc, and a matted version on the other, similar to the Brother Bear Special Edition. I will need to find some money for this though, since I thought it was going to be later in the year.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
xxhplinkxx
Collector's Edition

Post by xxhplinkxx »

THIS IS GREAT NEWS!!!! This has revitalized my hope for a Hercules and Hunchback 2 disc set! I was sure we'd never see a non-platinum 2 disc set ever again! Im so happy!!!

"Hip hop frightens you, doesn't it....Hmmm...Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate. Hate leads to endlessly posting threads about stupid white people. Hmmmmm....."

I love Siren!
magicalwands
Collector's Edition

Post by magicalwands »

Maybe Disney is giving this a second disc because it needs a boost in sales. The second disc might interest more people. They didn't do this to Tarzan or Dumbo for instance because maybe Disney thought both movies would sell a lot without the need of a second disc.
Mason_Ireton
Banned

Re: Aristiocats 2 Disc

Post by Mason_Ireton »

I'm so glad that Aristiocats is recieving a 2 disc edition, can't wait for the press release, course how could they put a 2 disc dvd togther so close to March? they better not do a half *bleep* job on this film. We're probaly gon'na get a making of Featurette, 3/? trailers, preview for Jungle Book: Platinum Edition, etc. I'd be surpised if Disney threw in an audio commentary on the disc.

write back please

sign Mason
Scaramanga
Limited Issue

Post by Scaramanga »

Now all I hope is it won't be another matted transfer because if it is there's no friggin way I'm buying it. (and given Robin Hood was matted I expect The Aristocats to be equally f****d up)

Should the R1 release be matted I hope Buena Vista f***s up (consistency wise) in R2 and releases the new SE with an open-matte transfer :D
Last edited by Scaramanga on Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
" ... Omnium gallorum fortissimi Belgae sunt ... "
supertalies
Special Edition

Post by supertalies »

wait a minute....
you already have cinderella III??? :shock:
how did you get it???
Widdi
Anniversary Edition

Post by Widdi »

Wasn't expecting this at all and I espically wasn't expecting it so soon.

The Aristocats is one of only two DAC I haven't seen yet, but with this release I'll def be picking it up. It also gives me hope that HoND and Hercules will get 2 disc releases.
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

So, wait...Disney deems The Aristocats worthy of a 2-Disc set, but re-releases Dumbo in a single disc that's not much different from its prior edition, and lets Hunchback and Hercules gather dust in their current editions? What the frick, Disney? I mean, I'm happy for fans of this film, but it angers me that a so-so movie like this (it's easily in my bottom five Disney animated classics) is elevated when superior films are given the cold shoulder, especially when Hunchback and Lilo both already have bonus materials READY. I almost hope The Aristocats gets a really fluffy 2-disc set ala The Lion King sequels, because this makes no sense to me. I'll still be buying this since I don't own the prior disc, but this is mainly for my collection rather than something I'll revisit frequently.
Timon/Pumbaa fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Timon/Pumbaa fan »

Well, call me shocked. I predicted a rerelease, but NOT a 2-Disc!

It's understandable that Cars and Chicken Little got 1-Disc sets, and also very understandable why Hunchback and Hercules haven't gotten anything, and I'll EVEN give them Tarzan, TENG AND Lilo and Stitch(I'm only giving them the latter because of Blu-Ray since they waited so long and conflicts with Roy E. Disney), but when Dumbo, Robin Hood, The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh and The Fox and the Hound, 4 much more popular movies(yes, I know Marie the cat is popular in Japan, but that isn't enough for popularity) get 1-Disc BUT this gets a 2-DISCS??

I'm also happy for fans of this film, but I feel sadden more worthy films aren't getting as much as this.

One thing is true: Anybody who says "Disney is predictable" is a big fat liar!
NarniaDis
Special Edition

Post by NarniaDis »

OMG - not what I was expecting...

but thats been said more than enough. Def. gonna be picking this up along with Peter Pan - whoo 2 2discers in 1 month...
Im a riding on cloud Nine.
Jeffel
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Jeffel »

I've been holding back on buying the current Aristocats DVD because I still have my old VHS version but I'll probably get this now.

By the way, it's so much more deserving of 2 disc treatment than Robin Hood, despite what you all seem to think.
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

It may be better than "Robin Hood", but all I can say is there really ought to be a 2 Disc of "Hercules", "Hunchaback", "Lilo & Stitch", and a few others lined up now.
akhenaten
Anniversary Edition

Post by akhenaten »

all this double dipping make me lose on some other titles! :x now i can't afford the treasures!
do you still wait for me Dream Giver?
Scaramanga
Limited Issue

Post by Scaramanga »

Personally I think every Disney Classic deserves a true 2-disc release ... but then again consistency doesn't seem to be one Buena Vista's strong points ... so I'm happy if and when we get them.

It is kind off mind-boggling though that the Lilo & Stitch SE still hasn't been released in the US, it's been sitting on my R2 shelf for a very long time now.
" ... Omnium gallorum fortissimi Belgae sunt ... "
Dottie
Collector's Edition

Post by Dottie »

Wow, this is amazing news!!! I never expected The Aristocats to get the 2-Disc treatment!!! This is awesome!! Aristocats isn't one of my favorites, but still I do enjoy it a lot!
I wonder if they're gonna make it widescreen like they did with Robin Hood.
toonaspie
Anniversary Edition

Post by toonaspie »

akhenaten wrote:all this double dipping make me lose on some other titles! :x now i can't afford the treasures!
It's a good thing I waited then. I never expected The Aristocats to ever get a rerelease again let alone a 2 disc.

Here I jump up and down with excitement until the big day!!!!
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

akhenaten wrote:all this double dipping make me lose on some other titles! :x now i can't afford the treasures!
Well, you can always sell your Gold Collection copy. You might not make much, but you will still get at least some money.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
goofystitch
Collector's Edition

Post by goofystitch »

While it is surprising that "The Aristocats" is getting a 2-disc release, it also kind of makes sense. This film was one of the most heavily advertised of the Gold Collection, therefore I'm assuming it was one of the best selling titles in that series. If so, than a standard 1-disc rerelease wouldn't cause many current owners to buy it again, but an extra disc just might. This film has much greater popularity elsewhere in the world, so making a 2-disc set for release in multiple countries benifits big fans of the film. I don't know if this has been scheduled for release in other countries yet, but I'm sure 2-disc sets of "The Aristocats" will show up in Japan and France. Also, keep in mind that there was direct to video sequel planned. Sometimes when films are getting a sequel, there is a rerelease ("The Fox and the Hound" comes to mind) and in rare cases, a 2-disc set ("Mulan"). So it could be that this flashy 2-disc set was designed as a promotional vessel for the sequel that will never be.

So is there enough content to make this a good 2-disc set? Probably not. I'm expecting disc 1 to be just the film, and in a perfect world it would contain the fullscreen and matted widescreen versions, but I'm only counting on one or the other. I would expect to find all of the previously released bonuses to appear on disc 2 along with some games, a music video of sorts, and maybe a new featurette, but let's not get carried away. I own the Gold Collection version and like everyone else who has posted, I will be upgrading. So Disney will probably see the kind of sales they are expecting out of this release. It isn't fair that other films generally reguarded as greater in terms of popularity and content are stuck with their single disc bare bones releases, but at the same time, we could get an upgraded release for any of those announced at any time. It's incredibly unlikely that we will see a 2-disc of "Dumbo," "The Fox and the Hound" or "Robin Hood" for at least 5 years, but films like "Hercules" and "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" have just as good a chance as any. It's been 7 years since their original DVD releases and is time according to Disney's morratoreum circulation schedule for both of these films to have a rerelease. So hopefully, those titles will be announced sometime in 2007.
numba1lostboy
Anniversary Edition

Post by numba1lostboy »

Wow! March is going to GREAT for Disney fans! Peter Pan AND Aristocats on 2-Disc DVDs?!?! Amazing!
I agree that I would rather have other films receive this treatment, but all the same, I'm excited!!
I wonder why, though? Are they just releasing this DVD for the hell of it? Disney doesn't seem to do that anymore...they always seem to have a hidden agenda, like promoting a different upcoming release...but I thought Aristocats II got cancelled...
:pan: Love It.