Tinker Bell movie - official date: October 2007!

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Widdi
Anniversary Edition

Post by Widdi »

Well that makes me mad. Not that Tinkerbell the Movie is being delayed but because now the reason for bumping Peter Pan up on the release schedule for the PE's has fallen through. 101 Dalmatians was delayed for nothing.

I mean, I love Peter Pan, but 101 Dalmatians hasn't had a decent DVD release yet, where Peter Pan has. I was more willing to wait for Peter Pan than I was for 101 Dalmatians.

Does this mean we could see another Peter Pan release come 2008 or 2009? I hope not...
Chrissy31886
Limited Issue

Post by Chrissy31886 »

So is this the tinkerbell movie w/Brittany Murphy as her voice? Im surprised its going straight to DVD..I was looking fwd to seeing it on the big screen.
akhenaten
Anniversary Edition

Post by akhenaten »

i dont mind the delay, i didnt like what i see from the trailer anyway.i hope its for the best. i saw the fairies products were on discount for christmas sale. i hope its not a waning sign. but now with the movie postponed it makes the merchandise seem like a product of premature birth.
do you still wait for me Dream Giver?
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Widdi wrote:Well that makes me mad. Not that Tinkerbell the Movie is being delayed but because now the reason for bumping Peter Pan up on the release schedule for the PE's has fallen through. 101 Dalmatians was delayed for nothing.

I mean, I love Peter Pan, but 101 Dalmatians hasn't had a decent DVD release yet, where Peter Pan has. I was more willing to wait for Peter Pan than I was for 101 Dalmatians.

Does this mean we could see another Peter Pan release come 2008 or 2009? I hope not...
I think that its a good thing that they both wont be released in the same year, as Peter Pan could have sadly suffered form a thing called 'over-exposure'. I'm convinced that would have happened if we were swampped with the Tinkerbell movie and merchendice AND the Peter DVD.

I'm still really REALLY excited for both.

Also, when will the Fairys website be updated?? I would love to make a fairy, but it still says coming soon! grrrrrrrr
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Disney must have no confidence in this being a good movie or they would release it the theaters first. October would be a perfect time for this movie to go into theatrical release. And Tinkerbell talks!!! NO!!! I don't care if the Queen of England is her voice, Tinkerbell doesn't talk. She didn't talk in the Peter Pan movies, why should she be able to talk in this one. It's like Tom and Jerry, they both talk now, and that ruined it for the series. Please Disney rethink this, part of the fascination with Tinkerbell is the fact that she expresses herself with action and facial expressions and besides having a voice would just ruin the image of Tinkerbell, for me.

If this comes direct-to-video I will probably avoid it like the plague.

:roll:
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
slave2moonlight
Diamond Edition

Post by slave2moonlight »

As a huge Tinkerbell fan, I'm really psyched for this movie. I thought the trailer looked great. I wouldn't say that sending it direct to video means Disney has no confidence in it. Direct to Video is the wave of the future. I don't believe that theaters will go on forever, though that's very sad. Anyway, I've seen great Disney films released direct to video, like Bambi too, that were better than some of Disney's recent theatrical animated efforts. As for Tink having a voice, I was put off a bit by that as well when I first heard about it. However, it's something I can deal with, even though I would have cast someone else. It's not illogical that she would be able to talk, at least, to her other fairy friends. We have heard Tink talk, but he voice sounds like a bell, but that doesn't mean it sounds that way to her fellow fairies. Or, you could say it's just being translated for us. It's not the same thing as the tragedy that was "the Tom and Jerry Movie," where they way they discovered they could talk was totally ridiculous, and hearing them talk felt totally wrong (not that we hadn't heard them utter a line or two before in a funny voice, but still...). However, I don't think Tom and Jerry are considered talking characters today. They have a new cartoon series on WB, and I don't think they talk on it. Granted, I don't watch it regularly. I can't recall seeing them talking outside of the Movie, though I don't remember if they could talk on Tom and Jerry Kids.
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

Being against DTV movies/sequels, i will not see this even if I was paid to watch it. Disney needs to stop making DTV sequels and focus on being more original.
MouseHouse55
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MouseHouse55 »

Just saw on CNBC that they are in fact expecting a delay of a minimum of two years for a complete rewrite as demanded by unnamed members of the Pixar crew, presumably John Lasseter. The spot claimed that the movie was poorly written and would only appeal to a young audience, and the studio would prefer to reach a more elaborate audience and appeal to the entire family.

Everyone has their own opinion; mine is, yay.
TheNikki
Gold Classic Collection

Post by TheNikki »

Why Pixar? Pixar isn't doing this movie, it's Disney's CGI team I thought.
Dottie
Collector's Edition

Post by Dottie »

A delay of 2 years??!!! Aaawwww, well, if the movie's going to be great after such a long time of waiting I guess it's worth it.
But why all that fuss if it's only a DTV. I could understand if the Tinkerbellmovie was supposed to hit theaters, but it's only a DTV. When have they ever cared that much about a DTV? Maybe it's goint to be the first very good DTV? I really want to like that movie, since the trailer on the TLM PE was so gorgeous!!!
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Allow Me to Shed Some Light On The Subject

Post by disneyboy20022 »

TheNikki wrote:Why Pixar? Pixar isn't doing this movie, it's Disney's CGI team I thought.
"Allow Me to Shed Some Light On The Subject"

http://www.animated-news.com/archives/00005898.html

12/22/2006: "Tinkering Tinker Bell"

The Los Angeles Times confirms a Jim Hill Media report published Monday, which speculated that Disney's direct-to-video spinoff Tinker Bell may be experiencing some story problems. According to the Times, Pixar executives John Lasseter and Ed Catmull decided that the project's script remains in need of "substantial work." In addition, there is some concern that Tinker Bell lacks appeal for older girls. Thus, the film may not see a release until at least 2008. Thanks to "ShyViolet" at the Animated News & Views Forum for the heads up on this news.
Does anyone think That Jim Hill Might be Right about Ed and John getting rid of CGI in Disney and turing Disney into hand drawn animation?? I don't know but I might be convinced. Since Tinker Bell is CGI it would I am guessing take 2 years to make it into a Hand Drawn animated film if thats what Lasseter and Catmull have in mind but don't come out and say it right away...
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
xxhplinkxx
Collector's Edition

Post by xxhplinkxx »

dvdjunkie wrote:It's like Tom and Jerry, they both talk now, and that ruined it for the series.
:o Thank god I havent seen this.

"Hip hop frightens you, doesn't it....Hmmm...Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate. Hate leads to endlessly posting threads about stupid white people. Hmmmmm....."

I love Siren!
wrestling_stat
Gold Classic Collection

Post by wrestling_stat »

Wow, lets hope that the story and amination (Sorry if it is spelt wrong) will be great. I wonder why they say these items are coming out when it is really like 2 or 3 years before they come out. That's what bothers me.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

wrestling_stat wrote:Wow, lets hope that the story and amination (Sorry if it is spelt wrong) will be great. I wonder why they say these items are coming out when it is really like 2 or 3 years before they come out. That's what bothers me.
They that was when it was coming out, as that is what they thought. But, it seems an exec has changed their mind on the plot line, and as a result, it will be redome. Thus resulting in delays. This wasnt deliberate!
akhenaten
Anniversary Edition

Post by akhenaten »

Dottie wrote:Maybe it's goint to be the first very good DTV?
i believe the crown goes to lilo and stitch 2, which i like better than the initial movie itself. :D
do you still wait for me Dream Giver?
wrestling_stat
Gold Classic Collection

Post by wrestling_stat »

atlanticaunderthesea wrote:
wrestling_stat wrote:Wow, lets hope that the story and amination (Sorry if it is spelt wrong) will be great. I wonder why they say these items are coming out when it is really like 2 or 3 years before they come out. That's what bothers me.
They that was when it was coming out, as that is what they thought. But, it seems an exec has changed their mind on the plot line, and as a result, it will be redome. Thus resulting in delays. This wasnt deliberate!
Thanks but I wasn't necessary talking about TinkerBell, I was more thinking about Movies like the TLM where they tell us about it but we have no idea when it is coming out or what it is going to be about. I understand that stuff happens and they have to put off putting out a movie. Last night I was watching the Behind the scenes of Lady and the Tramp and then Behind the scenes of Cinderella and how long it took to get those projects off the ground into a really movie.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.ph ... 0&id=39372

I just found this, which is very revealing for the plotline, and what will actually be focused on in the movie!

I won't say anything, in case I spoil it for anyone, just read!
Dottie
Collector's Edition

Post by Dottie »

Sounds good what Murphy tells us here. Although I still think it'll be weird to hear Tinkerbell actually talking and not just ringing. But it's great that we get to see more of her life without Peter Pan.
musicradio77
Anniversary Edition

Post by musicradio77 »

This is an article regarding the delay of the "Tinkerbell" movie:

'Tinker Bell' still needs tinkering, Disney decides

By Joseph Menn | Times Staff Writer

Top Walt Disney Co. animation executives have delayed next year's release of a "Tinker Bell" DVD that the company was counting on to drive sales of a key new line of merchandise aimed at young girls.

The decision is important because Disney has been hoping Disney Fairies, introduced last year, can replicate some of the success the company has enjoyed with its lucrative Disney Princesses line of dolls, clothes, videos and other merchandise.

But executives from Pixar Animation Studios, who now run Disney animation, decided the plot of "Tinker Bell" needed some tinkering of its own.

As a result, the film, originally scheduled for next fall, is being pushed back until at least 2008, according to Disney animation employees and company executives.

Pixar executives John Lasseter and Ed Catmull were tapped to turn around Disney's feature animation unit, which has struggled in recent years to turn out hits, as part of Disney's $7.4-billion acquisition of the studio. Pixar's track record includes such blockbusters as "Cars," "Finding Nemo," "The Incredibles" and "Toy Story."

One of the first things the Pixar executives did was review existing Disney projects, taking an especially close look at the strength of their story lines. "Tinker Bell" is expected to introduce new characters to pave the way for new movies and other products with her friends.

Actress Brittany Murphy is scheduled to voice Tinker Bell, who doesn't speak in Disney's 1953 animated film "Peter Pan."

But Lasseter, who reports directly to Disney Chief Executive Robert Iger, decided that the "Tinker Bell" script needed substantial work, according to Disney insiders. Another concern: that the DVD lacked appeal for older girls.

Disney had no comment. Employees who provided information did so on condition they not be named, citing the company's policy on keeping mum about projects that are still taking shape.

Ordinarily, the delay of a DVD movie would have attracted little attention. But "Tinker Bell" was to have been the centerpiece of a merchandise plan that has been in the works for years.

Disney Fairies was inspired by the success of Disney Princesses, which rang up sales of more than $3 billion, with a minimum 5% licensing fee going to the Burbank-based entertainment company. Items feature such characters as Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty and Ariel from "The Little Mermaid."

Disney is already selling Disney Fairies books, play sets and dolls. One executive said that the company was sticking with a forecast of $500 million in overall retail sales related to the products for the current fiscal year that ends Sept. 30.

Still, the merchandise line won't enjoy the kind of boost next year that comes from a heavily promoted DVD. Disney insiders expect the movie to still be made because of all the merchandise tie-ins.

One chief critic of Disney's direct-to-video strategy has been board member Steve Jobs, who in the $7.4-billion Pixar acquisition swapped his stake in that firm to become Disney's largest shareholder.

Jobs, who also runs Disney business partner Apple Computer Inc., has argued internally that Disney should make the movies better and release them to theaters, where continuing publicity would help lift DVD sales.

"Tinker Bell's" stumble, first reported on industry blog JimHillMedia.com, is only one of the changes being wrought by the Pixar executives.

The unit is in the process of firing about 160 of its 800 employees as it slows production to about one movie every 18 months from one movie every year. Pixar has kept its offices in Emeryville, Calif., which are not being cut back.
Dottie
Collector's Edition

Post by Dottie »

Interesting read!! I guess they really counted on the success of the TinkerBell movie and its delay is gonna cost money and might even upturn the plans they had for 2007.
I guess it's good, that the Pixar guys are looking at the story and that finally someone admits, that the DTV story lines are very often very weak and/or ridiculous. But I still don't get why they still want it to be only a DTV. I guess it'd be cool to see in theaters and I think no one would mind seeing it in theaters. I wouldn't.

Jobs is absolutely right. They should release less DTVs and put some reall effort in the making of theatrical releeases. People would enjoy that much more and DVD sales might even be higher if the movie had been shown in theaters before. Last, but not least the quality would improve immensly.

I liked the idea that the DVD should nor only be for little girls, but for "big" girls as well. Maybe that means better bonus features like audio commentaries and making-ofs instead of crappy game fluff.