Walt Disney Treasures Wave 6 DVDs Press Release

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Beastboyravenz
Special Edition

Post by Beastboyravenz »

Well Lars Vermundsberget it's good you have the money to afford what some people selling them are asking. I can't spend $50 dollars on one of those, I'm starting school soon and need the money for books. And if you were kind enough to paste the sites where you have purchased the rarer one's for a reasonable price maybe it wouldn't be my loss. I have bought many dvd's online too but I'm careful when it comes to the more exclusive and limited time only ones. Ichabod and you are talking about these great places where I can get them for a good price, but I don't see you posting them up. I know the Disney Store has some, but not the one's I want. So what places other than Amazon and Ebay can I find the rarer ones for a good affrodable price? That is if you don't mind posting the sites up.

By the way Ichabod, can you tell me the sites where I can find them, I'm interested, thanks. :)
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

Well DVDpacific has all of waves 5 and 6 and some of 3 and 4 for $22.34.

Also have you ever considered Region 2 DVDs? In the UK the Treasures were not limited and titles such as Silly Symphonies, Donald volume 1 and both volumes of Mickey in living Color are available in lots of places for the incredibly cheap price of about £4.99 (about $9) probably about $12-14 including shipping from the UK. Of course that all depends on if you can play R2 DVDs ;)
Last edited by ichabod on Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beastboyravenz
Special Edition

Post by Beastboyravenz »

Thanks Ichabod, but I would first have to break the region code on my dvd player right? Do the region 2 dvd's come in a tin too? And I can find those on the site you posted right? Thank you.

I just went to the site, thank you it has some of the one's I want. Have you purchased any of these from the site? Do the tins get to their destination in one piece?
Lars Vermundsberget
Collector's Edition

Post by Lars Vermundsberget »

Sorry - fortunately for me I got all of the Treasures as they came out, so I never had to pay more than ~$25-30 for those. But I would have paid more if I'd had to - the fact that I didn't is just an added bonus for me... For the record: I've paid a lot more for comparatively "lesser" Disney products in the past.

Not being of much help here, sorry...

Again, this is all based on my own opinion, experience and last but not least my appreciation of what the WDTs have to offer.
Beastboyravenz
Special Edition

Post by Beastboyravenz »

Lars Vermundsberget it's ok and you're lucky you have your on. Thanks anyways. Plus you don't need to mention that it's your opinion, I know it is since you're the one writing it therefore it's how you feel. Wish me luck tracking them down :) .
Lars Vermundsberget
Collector's Edition

Well, I think it's worthwhile pointing out from time to time since some people aren't always able to make the distinction themselves... Anyway, good luck tracking down the rest of the WDTs - I'd say it'll be worth it! 8)
MK Sharp
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MK Sharp »

Beastboyravenz wrote:Thanks Ichabod, but I would first have to break the region code on my dvd player right? Do the region 2 dvd's come in a tin too? And I can find those on the site you posted right? Thank you.
The Region 2 discs are available from http://www.amazon.co.uk (a search for "Walt Disney Treasures" in DVDs will bring them all up), still at the silly price of £5.97 each (less once the sales tax is removed for non-UK customers).

But yes, you would need to crack the region encoding on your DVD player, and you would also need to be sure that you can play PAL format discs (American TVs and DVDs are NTSC - you'd need a DVD player that can convert PAL to NTSC).

I think the R2s have tins, but I'm not 100% sure - like Larso, I've been buying the R1 sets as they came out since the beginning.
I just went to the site, thank you it has some of the one's I want. Have you purchased any of these from the site? Do the tins get to their destination in one piece?
I'll vouch for DVD Pacific - they ship in sturdy little boxes packed tight with butchers' paper. I've never had any problems with them sending things - and they're coming half-way around the world in my case. Their customer service is also excellent in the unlikely event you hit any problems.
"I hope we never lose sight of one thing - that this was all started by a little girl and a cat. And a rabbit."
Beastboyravenz
Special Edition

Post by Beastboyravenz »

Thanks MK Sharp, I think I'll stick to region1. Also thanks for reasuring me, now I know I can shop there without having any problems, I hope.
goofystitch
Collector's Edition

Easter Egg Found!

Post by goofystitch »

I don't think anybody has posted this yet since I have been reading this topic regularly, but if they have I'm sorry. I just got my 4 treasures today and just completed disc 1 of "Your Host, Walt Disney." I wanted to let everybody know that I found an easter egg. From the main menu, select "Program Selections." The first option is "Where Do The Stories Come From?" Push the right arrow key and you will highlight an arrow. Clicking this gives you a 2 minute segment of "Fourth Anniversary Show" that was found in color. Whenever Luke has time, I hope he will add it to the new easter egg section. If anybody finds any others on any of this waves treasures please post.
yamiiguy
Anniversary Edition

Post by yamiiguy »

ichabod wrote:Well DVDpacific has all of waves 5 and 6 and some of 3 and 4 for £22.34.

Also have you ever considered Region 2 DVDs? In the UK the Treasures were not limited and titles such as Silly Symphonies, Donald volume 1 and both volumes of Mickey in living Color are available in lots of places for the incredibly cheap price of about £4.99 (about $9) probably about $12-14 including shipping from the UK. Of course that all depends on if you can play R2 DVDs ;)
They're showing as £11.78 for me :?

and MK Sharp, some of the R2s had tins and some didn't but the tins were badly produced so go for the cases if buying R2
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

Again I'd like to throw in my praise for DVDPacific, not only are the cheapest site around, they are top notch!

Also all of the Region 2s had tins, although some are now issued without and yamiiguy I think we need to clear something up, you are aware that the regular DVD cases are inside the tins aren't you?
Scaramanga
Limited Issue

Post by Scaramanga »

Just received my More Silly Symphonies & Pluto Vol. 2 set , quickly tried em out and compared the new Symphonies set with the old one transfer-wise, some observations I personally made:
- older ones are a bit sharper then the new ones
- older ones have more compression artefacting then the new ones (so a big + for the new set IMO)
- older transfers seem to be a bit more stable ... although I guess the newer ones could just have had more wear and tear.

(where old = silly symphonies, new = more silly symphonies)

Conclusion: while I don't think the restoration was quite as thorough, I do think they're a serious improvement when compared to last years transfers. I didn't really expect the Silly Symphonies to look as well as Donald or Pluto Volume 1 either, given that most of them are over or almost 70 years old.

Overall Pluto Vol. 2 looks very good IMO. Maybe also a bit softer, not sure.

Not sure about sharpness because, since I got the first volumes of the Symphonies & Pluto, I got both a new TV (HD, of course) and a new LCD monitor for my PC. Both are drastically better then what I had before, so obviously I'll be able to see more flaws ...

(Just so you know: I went from a 23" CRT TV to a 42" Plasma TV and from a cheap 17" LCD monitor to a pretty high-end 19" WXGA LCD monitor so ... there's bound to be differences eh :p)
" ... Omnium gallorum fortissimi Belgae sunt ... "
Beastboyravenz
Special Edition

Post by Beastboyravenz »

Ichabod, do the tins get to their destination in good dent free condition? I know everything that is out of print probably has gotten dented here and there, but other than those dents does the shipment cause any new ones to form?
Lars Vermundsberget
Collector's Edition

I'll also recommend DVD Pacific!
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

I bought More Silly Symphonies today and my thought on the picture was mixed. Some shorts, like Three Orphan Kittens and Little Hiawatha looked restored. But some, like The Fox Hunt looked a little grainy. I really did not notice any problems other than that.
Lars Vermundsberget
Collector's Edition

...and I'd even say "grainy" shouldn't really be considered a problem.
Beastboyravenz
Special Edition

Post by Beastboyravenz »

Grain is one of the many elements that makes these shorts vintage. So films and shorts are meant to have grain, for texture.
Scaramanga
Limited Issue

Post by Scaramanga »

As long as the amount of grain is the result of the orginal film process you won't hear me complaining. It can also be a result of making numerous analog copies ... so it's not always easy to find out which one of those 2 options applies to each and every short ...
" ... Omnium gallorum fortissimi Belgae sunt ... "
Farid
Limited Issue

Post by Farid »

I ordered More Silly Symphonies and Pluto - Volume 2 about 2-3 days ago from Axel Music. They are now sent and I can't wait to get my hands on them! :) 8)
Mayhem
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Mayhem »

My copies from Amazon were shipped on the 19th and arrived today, not bad considering the Xmas mail and all I think. I will get to watching them later today no doubt (working from home!).
Lie with passion and be forever damned...