Casablanca 2-Disc Special Edition DVD

Discussion of non-Disney DVD and Blu-ray.
Jack
Collector's Edition

Casablanca 2-Disc Special Edition DVD

Post by Jack »

Commentary by critic Roger Ebert

Commentary by author-historian Rudy Behlmer

Theatrical trailer(s)

Introduction by Lauren Bacall

New digital transfer

Nearly 10 minutes of newly found deleted scenes and outtakes

Bacall hosts two documentaries, "You Must Remember This" and "Bacall on Bogart"

"The Children Remember": parental memories from Stephen Bogart and Ingrid Bergman's daughters Pia Lindstrom and Isabella Rosselini

The Looney Tunes homage "Carrotblanca"

Premier episode from the 1955 Casablanca TV series

Audio-only treasures: "Screen Guild Players Radio Production" with the three stars, plus rare scoring session outtakes

Production history gallery: Photos, press materials, studio correspondence, memorabilia, and more

RELEASE DATE: August 5th, 2003

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

IMHO, this is one of the, if not the best, movies ever made. And absolutely wonderful movie with some of the coolest characters, most interesting love story, and powerful ending I've ever had the pleasure to see. Anyone else love this film?
Sulley
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Sulley »

For my life, movies I watch and irony have a way of getting wrapped around each other. Every summer I use Network Video's Deal of 5 movies for 7 days for $5.99 quite frequently, mostly to see "Classics" I've never seen before. I made my first round of the summer last Sunday, and I have watched Singin' In The Rain (only VHS I rented), Casablanca, and The Exorcist. I have yet to watch 2001: A Space Odyssey and The Graduate. I enjoyed Singin' In The Rain and Casablanca immensly, and I am aware of MGM's recent Classic 2-Disc Releases ("Singin" was in the first batch I believe, and I quickly bought West Side Story after seeing it for the first time on TCM) I was seriously considering ordering a DVD Box Set of the "Best Pictures: Epic Dramas" Gone With The Wind, Casablanca, and Ben-Hur (the only of the three I haven't seen) for under $30, but now I will certainly not. I don't know much about these recent SEs as I have not seen most of them but any information about their releases and what's coming next would be greatly appreciated. They seem to be putting a lot of effort into their immortal classics for their customers, right down to making the DVD cover art identical to that particular motion picture's original theatrical poster art (Man, Disney could use some critiquing from these guys :wink: ). My most burning question is if they plan to give this treatment to Gone With the Wind, another MGM DVD that I believe is OOP like Casablanca and the original West Side Story DVD.
What would this wretched world be like without Disney?
Jack
Collector's Edition

Post by Jack »

If they plan to give Gone With the Wind the big, special edition treatment, I doubt it'll be out any time soon. There would most likely be a restoration done for the SE (seeing as how the current release has a lot of faults), and the restoration hasn't been started yet. Also, I seem to recall a rep. from WB saying that currently GWTW wasn't being prepped for another DVD release (but don't quote me on that one, I just seem to remember it from some post over at HomeTheaterForum.com)

I want it as much as you though. Seeing the news of this new Casablanca set, and having owned the West Side Story set, really makes my mouth water for GWTW.
maj
Limited Issue

Post by maj »

ah well, looks like my dvd player's getting chipped so it can play region 1 dvds.

One of my all time favs, and I've been looking for carrotblanca everywhere
Loomis
Signature Collection
Location: Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Post by Loomis »

I've been putting off buying this, and now I know why.
I was waiting for this :D
That set looks fantastic. The 'Nearly 10 minutes of newly found deleted scenes and outtakes' and the 'Carrotblanca' should make it worthwhile by itself, but the rest of it is all gold.
Never understood the 'best movie ever made' reputation, but a damn fine movie and a worthy classic nonetheless.
Can't wait.
Behind the Panels - Comic book news, reviews and podcast
The Reel Bits - All things film
Twitter - Follow me on Twitter
Prince Phillip
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Phillip »

Loomis wrote: Never understood the 'best movie ever made' reputation, but a damn fine movie and a worthy classic nonetheless.
Can't wait.
It is the best movie of all time, because in addition to the great, immortal story, practically all the lines in this movie are famous qoutes. I just saw this movie for the second time ever a few days ago and remembered why it is so good. I would not hesitate in calling this movie "the greatest of ALL time" after all 1 movie has to recieve this title, why not Casablanca. I too have been holding off on this, but not any more. Come August 5, this one is MINE!!!!! Mwa-ha-ha-ha-ha.
(don't know where that came from :shock: .)
Defy Gravity
maj
Limited Issue

Post by maj »

waitinh for the uk release- after all, warners released the same special editions over here as the us for unforgiven, one flew over the cuckoo's nest, amadeus, singin in the rain and a few others. No reason to think casablanca'll be any different.

Already have it on dvd, so guess will be selling it off for the 'remastered' version. One of my favs: http://www.ymdb.com/user_top20_view.asp?usersid=7055 (okay I'm still tweaking nos 18-20).
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

Re Gone With The Wind
There would most likely be a restoration done for the SE (seeing as how the current release has a lot of faults), and the restoration hasn't been started yet.
There has been a restoration: The UK got a restored release in late 2001 which was restored by Lowry Images (the same people who restored Citizen Kane, Pinocchio, Snow White and are rumoured to be working on Mary Poppins now).
John Lowry Chat Transcript

Talking of Citizen Kane, the UK is getting their own special edition, with a new BFI (British Film Institue) resoration which is said to be better than the Warners R1 restoration, and all new supplements.

Gone With The Wind (R2)
http://www.blackstar.co.uk/video/item/7000000058582

Citizen Kane: Special Edition (R2)
http://www.blackstar.co.uk/video/item/7000000079754
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database