Disney DVD Game World: Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Luke
Site Admin

Disney DVD Game World: Discussion

Post by Luke »

This thread has been set up to discuss the <b>Disney DVD Game World</b> announcement and discs.

BURBANK, Calif., June 22, 2006 – Walt Disney Home Entertainment announces an exciting, all-new
innovation in Disney DVDs: <b><i>Disney DVD Game World</i></b>. Combining the traditional fun of classic board
games with interactive and immersive 3-D game environments, these DVD games are perfect for families
who want to enjoy time together. Inspired by the favorite characters from Disney’s most popular films
and the worlds they live in, the DVD games feature multi-level boards and thousands of mini-games,
trivia questions, and activities for up to 4 players.

Click here for the full press release:
http://www.ultimatedisney.com/disneydvd ... lease.html
BATBfan1
Terminated

Post by BATBfan1 »

Sounds interesting. I gotta see how they look before I buy them. If Disney does it right, this could be cool! 8)
JiminyCrick91
Platinum Edition

Post by JiminyCrick91 »

If they are anything like the Lilo & Stitch DVD game I may pick up the Disney Dogs one.
Loomis
Signature Collection
Location: Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Post by Loomis »

It was only a matter of time before the films became superfluous and the games took over the whole DVD. :)
Behind the Panels - Comic book news, reviews and podcast
The Reel Bits - All things film
Twitter - Follow me on Twitter
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

I think these sound pretty interesting. I enjoyed the Disney Dogs game as found on the Lady and the Tramp DVD a lot more than I expected to, and I'm a huge fan of the Disney SceneIt game (though that one actually has a real game board). If these get enough positive reviews, I'll pick them up as long as they have single player options (which they probably will). If these prove successful enough, we may see individual games catered to specific films. Bet you already know what film I'd like to see done in THAT format. :D
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Thank you Luke for posting this!!!!

Post by Disney Duster »

I have to say, any game where you get to go through the world of Wonderland is cool, especially with computer animation. Disneykid, have you ever played Disney's Villains' Revenge CD-ROM game? the Disney villains take over a magical storybook, and ruin the happy endings of Disney classics, including Alice in Wonderland. It was such a cool game, and you got to see Alice without her head! If you never played it, are interested in it, but can't find it(since it's an old game), then I will try to tell you all that happened in the Alice in Wonderland parts.

Anyway, Luke I just wanted to say thank you so much for posting this. I had actually been thinking of starting a thread on the long-past-it's-due-date Disney Princess Fantasy DVD Game. I'm glad to see it's not dead, just changed.
Lucylover1986
Special Edition

Re: Thank you Luke for posting this!!!!

Post by Lucylover1986 »

Disney Duster wrote:I have to say, any game where you get to go through the world of Wonderland is cool, especially with computer animation. Disneykid, have you ever played Disney's Villains' Revenge CD-ROM game? the Disney villains take over a magical storybook, and ruin the happy endings of Disney classics, including Alice in Wonderland. It was such a cool game, and you got to see Alice without her head! If you never played it, are interested in it, but can't find it(since it's an old game), then I will try to tell you all that happened in the Alice in Wonderland parts.
I have that game. It's alot of fun. I'd be willing to sell it for $5 or so if someone wanted it.
memnv
Collector's Edition

Post by memnv »

I have Disney's Scene it - we love the game
Dark Knight Rulez
Timon/Pumbaa fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Timon/Pumbaa fan »

Unless these turn out at least half as good Disney's Scene It(a great game which I own) I'll pass.
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Re: Thank you Luke for posting this!!!!

Post by Disneykid »

Disney Duster wrote:I have to say, any game where you get to go through the world of Wonderland is cool, especially with computer animation. Disneykid, have you ever played Disney's Villains' Revenge CD-ROM game? the Disney villains take over a magical storybook, and ruin the happy endings of Disney classics, including Alice in Wonderland. It was such a cool game, and you got to see Alice without her head! If you never played it, are interested in it, but can't find it(since it's an old game), then I will try to tell you all that happened in the Alice in Wonderland parts.
Yes, I have that game! I agree that seeing Wonderland in CGI is cool, which is why I was inititally exicted about the Virtual Wonderland Party on the Alice DVD (until it ended up being something totally different...). Since these DVD games tout new animation where the characters talk to you, I wonder if they'll be CGI like the rest of the game, or 2-D. This may sound blasphemous, but I'd like to see them in CGI. I find Disney characters in CGI interesting, and I think purists will be less up-in-arms if it's done in this context as opposed to a feature film.
Disney Duster

CGIerella...isn't she supposed to be beautiful?

Post by Disney Duster »

Disneykid wrote:This may sound blasphemous, but I'd like to see them in CGI. I find Disney characters in CGI interesting, and I think purists will be less up-in-arms if it's done in this context as opposed to a feature film.
I agree that purists will probably not have a problem with CGI characters in these games, but the problem I have with seeing these characters in CGI is that often when it's done for games:

A) The characters don't look much like their original, 2-D selves.

B) The characters look just plain bad. Especially Cinderella, for some reason.

I'm talking specifically about games here. "Mickey's Philar Magic" doesn't count. Kingdom Hearts' Disney characters looked good, but didn't look enough like their originals(in my opinion, but I could be nit-picking). Anyway, since the Disney Princess 2-D artwork doesn't make the princesses look much like they do in their original films(the blonde and blue Cinderella), hope of seeing CGI animation for them make them look they do in their original films is really doubtful. The dogs, on the other hand, have a really good chance of looking good and like they should.
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Re: CGIerella...isn't she supposed to be beautiful?

Post by Disneykid »

Disney Duster wrote:
Disneykid wrote:This may sound blasphemous, but I'd like to see them in CGI. I find Disney characters in CGI interesting, and I think purists will be less up-in-arms if it's done in this context as opposed to a feature film.
I agree that purists will probably not have a problem with CGI characters in these games, but the problem I have with seeing these characters in CGI is that often when it's done for games:

A) The characters don't look much like their original, 2-D selves.

B) The characters look just plain bad. Especially Cinderella, for some reason.

I'm talking specifically about games here. "Mickey's Philar Magic" doesn't count. Kingdom Hearts' Disney characters looked good, but didn't look enough like their originals(in my opinion, but I could be nit-picking). Anyway, since the Disney Princess 2-D artwork doesn't make the princesses look much like they do in their original films(the blonde and blue Cinderella), hope of seeing CGI animation for them make them look they do in their original films is really doubtful. The dogs, on the other hand, have a really good chance of looking good and like they should.
Well, there's always hope that the CG artists (if the character end up being CG, afterall) will be more faithful to the original sources than the clipart artists are. I know you said you were talking specifically about games, but I have to bring up this one example: In the advertising campaign for Disneyland's 50th anniversary, the CG Cinderella they had actually was in a silver ballgown. They showed her too briefly for me to tell if she was blonde or not, but if she was, she at least wasn't a blazing yellow. Perhaps Disney will re-use the model from that commercial for this DVD game. I'm guessing the crappy CG Cindy you're referring to is from the Cinderella Dreamhouse PC game (I've seen a pic of her in my Disney Yearbook, and wow does she look like rubber...). Well, I think (or hope) that Disney will be putting more effort into this DVD game than they did in their PC game. I haven't actually played it, but the Dreamhouse game looks like it was done very quickly and cheaply to tie in to Cinderella's DVD release. Since this DVD game has been in production for who knows how long, I'm expecting better quality. I guess we won't know for sure what'll happen until Disney releases screencaps...
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

Is it really that big a crime if they don't? Especially if they are CGI? After all, its a whole new medium.

Other iconic characters change their looks frequently, even when they're in the same media. Do different comic book artists draw Batman the same? And did the Animated Series Batman look like Tim Burton's? Or even does the new "The Batman" Batman look like the previous Animated Series one?

Even for Disney characters, Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck and others changed and evolved over time.

You should be celebrating a whole new interpertation of classic characters. I can understand the desire for them to retain "at a glance" similarities with their classic looks, but diversity is good.
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
Disney Duster

CGI Disney

Post by Disney Duster »

Well, the thing is a Disney Princess game is different from and doesn't cover as wide a base as a game that covers all Disney characters, so I think the chances are still low... But you are right, Disneykid, Cinderella did look like she should in that Disneyland's 50th commercial. I swear that I found it on YouTube somewhere...

As for 2099net, I see what you mean, and I do think it's all right for some games, but I don't think that after the original creators of these characters went through a long process to develop a certain style and design, those designs should be ignored in these particuliar games. These are Disney's first DVD games for the dogs and princesses, and I just don't think it's the time for them to be in a new style. Save that for clothing or one of the many other games featuring these characters being made for game systems. As Disneykid said, these DVD games are different from just a PC game created as some cheap tie-in or something.
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

What are they getting at, putting "Disney" and "World" together in a title of a DVD and it not being about the theme park? Gives us the HCOE DVD, and then we can talk about a DVD game. :P

As a general rule, I don't like DVD games. I usually dread them when doing reviews and never even try them out if I'm not reviewing. Now, there's a chance that these will be radically different (and superior), but until I see some reviews to that effect, I'm going to have a hard time getting excited.

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
2099net
Signature Collection

Re: CGI Disney

Post by 2099net »

Disney Duster wrote:As for 2099net, I see what you mean, and I do think it's all right for some games, but I don't think that after the original creators of these characters went through a long process to develop a certain style and design, those designs should be ignored in these particuliar games. These are Disney's first DVD games for the dogs and princesses, and I just don't think it's the time for them to be in a new style. Save that for clothing or one of the many other games featuring these characters being made for game systems. As Disneykid said, these DVD games are different from just a PC game created as some cheap tie-in or something.
Well, there's a difference between a cheap redesign to save time/money and a redesign to make something work either in a different medium and/or artistic style.

Look at the Clone Wars cartoons. They were designed with minimal lines and easy to animate shapes, but most Star Wars fans (as well as animation fans) approve of the character (re)designs. Because they were done with respect for the original and with style.

Same with the Fantastic Four - Jack Kirby's Fantastic Four are different from John Byrne's, who are different from Mike Wieringo's. I like them all, although Kirby's - being the first - will always be the "definitive" rendering. There's a number of artists who's renditions I don't like, but I'm sure some people do. And without the changing styles, I would never have seen's Wieringo's.

So all of this is a long winded way or me saying: Yes, let them do a CGI Cinderella etc. if they want to. But if they do, do it with time, love and care.

As for DVD games. No thanks. We all have computers and most of us have games consoles. Why turn a DVD player into something it's not?
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

I've just updated the press release with 8 screencaps, 4 from each announced edition:
http://www.ultimatedisney.com/disneydvd ... lease.html
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

So apparently these games aren't 16x9 enhanced? That's pretty stupid...Also stupid is Disney's misleading comments in the press release. If you hear the phrases "all-new animation" and "characters talk to you", one would assume there'd be new character animation created for the DVDs. Disney Dogs may or may not follow this pattern of thinking since it's hard to tell from the screencaps. Disney Princess, on the other hand, quite obviously does not. The screencaps show stock clipart that's been used to death on every conceivable princess item known to mankind. Since I doubt they'll manipulate the clipart to move and speak, I can only assume the "characters talking to you" bit will merely be a voice over as you look at the static clipart. That just screams lame. I was really hoping for CG character animation or at the very least, stilted hand-drawn animation akin to the Christmas of Enchanment craptacular. I know it's too soon to judge based on a few stills, but it seems to be that we won't be getting new character animation and Disney's "all-new animation" hoopala must be referring to the CG setting and effects. Boo.
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

You could be right, Disneykid. But then again, these might just be clipart-centered stills and there could be genuinely all-new animation in between still screens. I wouldn't bet on it, though. Kind of surprised that the Dogs one is recycling stuff from the DVD-ROM portion of the <i>Lady and the Tramp</i> DVD.
Simba3
Collector's Edition

Thoughts on Upcoming Disney DVD games

Post by Simba3 »

Has anyone looked into the new Disney DVD games coming to DVD on December 5th? There are actually two different games (sold seperately): The Disney Dogs Edition: Blue Ribbon Challenge and The Disney Princess Edition: Become The Ultimate Disney Princess. If you login to the Disney Movie Rewards program website you can actually play an online demo if you go to "Featured Promotions" toward the bottom. I tried the demo of both games and they seem cool. I think they would be great for children and Disney fans of all ages. It will be a nice switch up from "Disney Scene It" which I am pretty much no longer allowed to play because I know all the answers to the card questions and my plays, and always get the all plays before anyone else. hee hee.
Signature courtesy of blackcauldron85!!