Newsies

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

I looooove Newsies. I saw it for the first time a few years ago, and finally got the DVD last Christmas (thanks, Rebel... where are you, anyways?). It's definitely taken its place as one of my favorite musicals, if not movies. I've found that it's extremely rewatchable- holds up every time, and even improves. I love the cast and the music... and of course the story. I'm interested in journalism anyways, and I love period pieces, so it's a great combo. Plus, it has Bill Pullman.

"Carrying the Banner" is my favorite number as well. Second place probably goes to "Once and For All." I also have a Newsies megamix. 8)

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
grassmonk

Post by grassmonk »

Newsies is great! Not having seen it for a few years, I last watched it a few months ago after seeing Batman Begins. For some reason, I never knew (or imagined) how horribly it did at the box office. When I was in high school one of my history teachers had us watch Newsies (as well as Swing Kids--she had a huge crush on Chistian Bale). We also sang "Seize the Day" at one of our performances in the high school choir.

I can't think of a single bad thing to say about Newsies; not to say that it doesn't have its faults, but that I have absolutely no problem overlooking them.
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Newsies! Newsies! Talk All About It (Discussion Thread)

Post by Escapay »

Luke wrote: But, I'm curious, Escapay, by designating a favorite dance sequence - are you compelled to dance around to "Carrying the Banner" while watch the newsboys action?

:P
No, I'm a horrible dancer. Some of my favorite movies are musicals simply because of the elaborate dance sequences that I know I'd never be able to do unless I locked myself in a cabin in the woods for four weeks trying to learn it. I love CTB's dance sequence because of the barrel segment and the actual dancing parts. Also, the dance during the Seize the Day reprise is pretty good (especially when they form that wall).

Though I do get a kick out of the occasional pelvic thrusts in nearly every song they sing. It's like, "what was the choreographer thinking???"

I think my favorite character would have to be Spot Conlon (and his walking stick), but the scene-stealers in the entire movie is Racetrack and Les.

Come back my lovey-dovey baby, and cootchie-coo with me...

Escapay
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Roger Rabbit
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Roger Rabbit »

Nevah fear, Brooklyn is hear! :D Just to quote Spot.

I think what makes the dance scenes amazing is that they were able to pull it off...even if one messes up, the sequence has to be done again. I probably could do it if I worked hard enough but I still probably be that one that messed up somewhere. :P
<b>You were born original and unique; don't die a copy.</b>
Eatmorchiken
Limited Issue

Post by Eatmorchiken »

I love Newsies. It's one of those movies that I've grown up watching. However, I recently watched it with a friend, not having seen it in a few years, and it kind of seemed a little corny. But I mean, I guess in a way, all musicals have an essence of corniness. But I definitely really like that movie, and I love the soundtrack.
To all that come to this happy place: welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams, and the hard facts that have created America. -Walt Disney.
Fidget1234
Special Edition

Post by Fidget1234 »

Ok, I loved this movie when I was a teen cuz of the boys. LOL.

Still one of my fav live-action Disney films.

My fav song is Carryin' the Banner & Seize the Day.

When it came to DVD I bought it the day of release.

Awesome movie & underrated. I doubt we'll ever see it on Disney channel
"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin"
semicharmedguy26

Any Newsies fans out there?

Post by semicharmedguy26 »

It's been about 4 years since the DVD release in 2002. With the current "High School Musical" out on disney channel, it just reminded me too much of Newsies.
JiminyCrick91
Platinum Edition

Post by JiminyCrick91 »

Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Woohoo, someone remembered my old Newsies thread! :D

Escapay
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
mikemgmve
Gold Classic Collection

Post by mikemgmve »

LOVE the movie. My sisters and I used to sing the songs alllll the time.

Of course it had Vinnie from Doogie Howser in it (Max Casella), and Christian Bale in it too, so they also loved it for those reasons.
Fidget1234
Special Edition

Post by Fidget1234 »

ok, lemme just add to this- that it came out when i was in tweenie/teenie age

Back then- oh yeah totally had hots for Spot & Racetrack. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Yeah High School Musical reminds me of Newsies a little bit too.
"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin"
snowbot
Gold Classic Collection

Post by snowbot »

I love <i>Newsies</i>!

(P.S. Just for the record, I also started a <a href="http://www.ultimatedisney.com/forum/vie ... s">Newsies thread</a> over a year ago.)
Kram Nebuer
Anniversary Edition

Post by Kram Nebuer »

grassmonk wrote:Newsies is great! Not having seen it for a few years, I last watched it a few months ago after seeing Batman Begins. For some reason, I never knew (or imagined) how horribly it did at the box office. When I was in high school one of my history teachers had us watch Newsies (as well as Swing Kids--she had a huge crush on Chistian Bale). We also sang "Seize the Day" at one of our performances in the high school choir.
My civics teacher made us watch Newsies too, but she fastforwarded through all the songs!!! As an 8th grader, I found the movie quite boring and never wanted to be bothered with it again...until Escapay got the DVD! It's soooo much better with the music and the songs really help to develop characters and the story (as they're supposed to do!). I recently got the soundtrack and I always listen to it. My favorite is also "Carrying the Banner" but I like it because of all the simultaneous counter melodies and such. Like the part after the Nuns and Patrick's mother carries the same melody:

Blessed
Children
Though you wander
Lost and depraved
Jesus
Loves you
You shall
Be saved

Patrick
(Just give me half a cup)

Darling
(Something to wake me up)

Since you left me
(I gotta find an angle)

I am undone
(I gotta sell more papes)

Mother
(Papers is all I got)
(Wish I could catch a breeze)

Loves you
(Sure hope the headline's hot!)
(All I can catch is fleas)

God Save
(God help me if it's not)
(Somebody help me please)

My son!
(If I hate the headline
I'll make up a headline...)

This happens a lot in this song and its mind boggling listening to it all, it's awesome! That song will never get old for me! I also like "Santa Fe," the "Seize the Day" chorale, and some of the score like the Fighting Irish Strike song.

With the recent return of the movie musical (Moulin Rouge, Chicago, Rent, The Producers, etc), do you think Newsies would do well in a theatrical rerelease despite the already available DVD release? I would definitely go see it in a theater. Didn't Disney rerelease some of its Animated movies in the 1990s despite the VHS release?
<a href=http://kramnebuer.dvdaf.com/>My ºoº DVDs </a>
semicharmedguy26

Post by semicharmedguy26 »

you know, i've seached some history books i had, did some google searches, asked a couple of history profs... i could never really find much about this strike. I guess a person could assume that during the strike there really wasn't much press going around.
my chicken is infected
Anniversary Edition

Post by my chicken is infected »

My local Blockbuster had a sale. Buy two of the DVDs priced $4.99 or $6.99 and get two free. I bought 4 priced $4.99, so basically, I paid $2.50 for Newsies.

It's extremely corny. The choreography is often forced and unnatural. The New York accents are WAY exaggerated. The songs are extremely cheesy. The film is one major "The underdog wins all" cliche after another.

To make a long story short, I absolutely loved it. :D
-Joey
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Hehe, nice to see my thread resurrected (though of course, two previous discussion threads were created).

It's been a couple months since I last dove into Newsies. Have to say my feelings about it have changed since then. I mean, I still enjoy the film, but not so much as I did the first times I saw it.

Favorite song in it is still "King of New York".

I've grown to HATE Crutchy. I hate his high squeaky voice. I hate his dumb look. I hate that he's in the film.

It's very unsettling to watch Bale in this film, only to know that 8 years later he'll be in American Psycho...

Escapay
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
totallyminnie86
Gold Classic Collection

Post by totallyminnie86 »

Newsies is great! Its so under rated, I just saw it this year actually....I really liked the songs and it just makes me wish that disney would get with the program again and make better non-cliche live action films like this one. Or better yet just start making musicals in any form again :)
Isidour
Diamond Edition

Post by Isidour »

I never heard of it...

from what I read of all of you, I suppose it must be good
bmadigan
Gold Classic Collection

Deleted scene

Post by bmadigan »

I just watched the Newsies DVD and was puzzled by something on one of the extras. They talk about Christian Bale haveing to learn to do some cowboy-style rope tricks and even have a clip of him twirling the lariat, bit I don't remmeber it in the movie itself. It looks like it would have fit in the Sante Fe number.

Does anyone have any info on this?
Escapay

Re: Deleted scene

Post by Escapay »

bmadigan wrote:I just watched the Newsies DVD and was puzzled by something on one of the extras. They talk about Christian Bale haveing to learn to do some cowboy-style rope tricks and even have a clip of him twirling the lariat, bit I don't remmeber it in the movie itself. It looks like it would have fit in the Sante Fe number.

Does anyone have any info on this?
It was deleted from the final number. In the same featurette, it shows additional filmed lyrics for Carrying the Banner that wasn't in the final number either.

(And it must've pissed Bale off that he had to learn those extensive rope tricks...then have it cut from the film!)

Escapay
WIST #60:

WIST #61: