Ultimate Disney Movie Awards 2006 - VOTING

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

The point is precisely that... to let the majority decide each and every category. That's why it's the UD Movie Awards, and if the UD members want to pick the same five movies for the whole thing, then so be it. After all, if those are the movies that the UD body found to be the best (even if "best" means "I was most excited by this," that criteria is legitimate and up to each individual voter), then those are the movies that are most deserving of the nominations. I'm sorry if the movies that the majority picked this year aren't appealing to everyone, but I (and most, I think, given that this is obviously what the majority voted into place) find this kind of thing to be a lot more fun than system that lets everyone walk away with a little something by turning away from what actually earned the majority of votes. I hope to see this same design continued next year.

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

I would have thought it would be obvious that the nominations are from the popular vote, and films with limited distribution, or non-mainstream appeal aren't going to be popular.

Brokeback Mountain may very well be the best film of 2005, but if the majority of the voters haven't seen it, then they can't vote for it.

I threw in a few UK-centric nominations in my post when nominating, but I knew they wouldn't make any impact. But, anyone who's interested in me or more accurately, is interested in seeing my preferences can, because they're out there, for all to see on the original thread. I have no problem with that. After all, its supposed to be a bit of fun.
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
Prince Eric
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Eric »

I totally agree that it should be about the popular vote, but that also means care should be given to tabulate each voter's opinions equally. There's lots of gray areas in simple tallying. Let's just say that everyone who voted for Batman Begins likes the movie, but doesn't LOVE it. In other words, it becomes a filler nomination. I don't see how it's fair that Batman Begins gets in when other movies with a smaller, yet passionate voting body don't at least get mentioned. I don't see what the fear is of spreading the nominations around. It becomes predictable, but whatever. :(
The Top 10 Films of 2005:
1) Brokeback Mountain 2) The Squid and the Whale 3) Me And You And Everyone We Know 4) The New World 5) A History of Violence 6) Match Point 7) Munich 8.) Crash 9) Wallace and Gromit 10) Pride & Prejudice
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

"Cheers" to Netty's post! (I put "cheers" in quotes, because it's not something I'd normally say, but Loomis' posting and emailing has it stuck in my head.
Prince Eric wrote:care should be given to tabulate each voter's opinions equally.
Each vote gets counted once. 1=1=1=1=1... pretty equal.
Prince Eric wrote:There's lots of gray areas in simple tallying. Let's just say that everyone who voted for Batman Begins likes the movie, but doesn't LOVE it. In other words, it becomes a filler nomination. I don't see how it's fair that Batman Begins gets in when other movies with a smaller, yet passionate voting body don't at least get mentioned.
I don't see how it would be fair for something to be mentioned because a smaller group wants them to be, regardless of how passionate they are. They just don't have enough numbers, and that's all there is to it.
Prince Eric wrote:I don't see what the fear is of spreading the nominations around. It becomes predictable, but whatever. :(
There's no fear... just a disagreement over what is fair and what is fun. Either way, this is getting repetitive. I think we'll just have to agree to disagree, if at all possible.

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Prince Eric
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Eric »

I've already agreed to disagree. I'll just post my choices later on, but this system is not equal. If each person was given one vote in each category, then it would be equal and your equation would work. :wink:
The Top 10 Films of 2005:
1) Brokeback Mountain 2) The Squid and the Whale 3) Me And You And Everyone We Know 4) The New World 5) A History of Violence 6) Match Point 7) Munich 8.) Crash 9) Wallace and Gromit 10) Pride & Prejudice
Timon/Pumbaa fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Timon/Pumbaa fan »

First of all, I would like to thank Aaron as he has put ALOT of time into these awards, plus with a bunch of other stuff, I like to thank him for putting ALOT of time just for our pleasure! So thanks!

Second, I'm actually quite happy with the nominations. I understand why some people wouldn't, but hey my favorite movies of the year(Star Wars, Batman Begins, Walk the Line, Wallace and Gromit etc.) got great nominations, so for the most part, I'm VERY happy!

I do somewhat agree that last year's were slightly better as we had more variety in movies, which could be because we had less voters than last year, and I kinda feel disappointed some of the awards only got 3 nominations or 4 instead of 5! But in the end, this game is still played fair with great results! Too bad some people can love their favorite movies TOO much! :wink:
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

Well, here's my input on this. I'm something of a "fanboy" but I can easily see where something's not as good as something else. For instance, I'm not going to give George Lucas an award for writing dialouge. I might, however give him an award for the actions he writes and directs. Why? Because even though I'm a "fanboy" I can still realize when something is lacking in areas. So, think before you say all "fanboys" just vote for what they like even if it's bad.

PS: Thank you, Aaron, you have done such a phenominal job with all of this.
Lucylover1986
Special Edition

Post by Lucylover1986 »

I just sent my votes in. Still dissapointed in some of the nominees. Wish I could do some write-in votes, lol.
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Just a reminder that you have until 11:59pm (eastern time) tonight to send in your votes.

-Aaron
• Twitter - @aaronspod