Ultimate Disney Movie Awards 2006 - VOTING

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Ultimate Disney Movie Awards 2006 - VOTING

Post by AwallaceUNC »

<center>Image</center>

Hi, and welcome back to the 2006 2nd Annual UltimateDisney.com Movie Awards! Many of you submitted nominations via the message board and email, which were tabulated and resulted in the finalists below. Of the nominees that follow, one in each category will be elected by you, the UD community, as a winner.

You may vote for one and only of the following finalists in each category. Please submit all votes to [email protected]. Please make the subject of your email "UD MOVIE VOTES 2006". Any votes submitted on the message board or through PM will NOT be accepted.

You have until 11:59pm (Eastern Time) on Friday, February 24 to submit your votes. A thread for assigning presenters in the awards ceremony will be started soon. My apologies for the delay in posting these nominations, but the counting process was a very long and tedious one.

And the nominees are...

Best Film
Batman Begins
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith

Best Drama
Batman Begins
Walk the Line

Best Comedy
The 40 Year Old Virgin
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Wallace & Gromit in The Curse of the Were-Rabbit
Wedding Crashers

Best Actor
Christian Bale, Batman Begins
Daniel Radcliffe, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Joaquin Phoenix, Walk the Line
Johnny Depp, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Steve Carell, The 40 Year Old Virgin

Best Actress
Emma Watson, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Naomi Watts, King Kong
Reese Witherspoon, Walk the Line

Best Supporting Actor
Alan Rickman, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Ian McDiarmid, Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith
Liam Neeson, Batman Begins
Liam Neeson, The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

Best Supporting Actress
Ilsa Fisher, Wedding Crashers
Rachel Weisz, The Constant Gardner
Tilda Swinton, The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

Best Director
Andrew Adamson, The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
Christopher Nolan, Batman Begins
George Lucas, Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith
Mike Newell, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Tim Burton, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Tim Burton, Tim Burton's The Corpse Bride

Best Animated Feature
Chicken Little
Madagascar
Tim Burton's The Corpse Bride

Best Original Screenplay
The 40 Year Old Virgin

Best Adapted Screenplay
Batman Begins

Best Cinematography
Batman Begins
King Kong

Best Costumes
Batman Begins

Best Makeup
Batman Begins

Set Design
King Kong

Best Score
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Danny Elfman)
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (Harry Gregson-Williams)
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Patrick Doyle)
Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (John Williams)
Tim Burton's The Corpse Bride (Danny Elfman)

Best Original Song
"So Long & Thanks For All the Fish" - Joby Talbot (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)
"Wonka's Welcome Song" - Danny Elfman (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory)
"Wunderkind" - Alanis Morissette (The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe)

Best Visual Effects
King Kong
War of the Worlds

Best Sound

Best Sound Effects
Batman Begins
King Kong

Best Editing

Best Theatrical Sequel To a Feature Film
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Sequel to Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone)
Herbie: Fully Loaded (Sequel to The Love Bug)
The Ring Two (Sequel to The Ring)
Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (Sequel to Star Wars)

Best Book-to-Feature Film Adaptation
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Adapted from the Roald Dahl novel of the same name)
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (Adapted from the C.S. Lewis novel of the same name)
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Adapted from the J.K. Rowling novel of the same name)
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Adapted from the Douglas Adams novel of the same name)

Best Fat Guy in a Theatrical Feature
Albert, Hitch (Portrayed by Kevin James)
Augustus Gloop, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Portrayed by Philip Wiegratz)
Rubeus Hagrid, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Portrayed by Robbie Coltrane)
Runt of the Litter, Chicken Little (Voiced by Steve Zahn)

Best 2005 DVD Release of Any Pre-2006 Movie
Bambi: 2-Disc Platinum Special Edition (Buena Vista Home Entertainment)
Cinderella: 2-Disc Special Edition (Buena Vista Home Entertainment)
The Incredibles: 2-Disc Collector's Edition [Widescreen] (Buena Vista Home Entertainment)
Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith 2-Disc [Widescreen] (20th Century Fox Home Entertainment)
Toy Story: 2-Disc Special 10th Anniversary Edition (Buena Vista Home Entertainment)
The Wizard of Oz: 3-Disc Collector's Edition (Warner Home Video)

Thanks! :D

The number of nominees in a given category was determined by the number of nominations submitted for that category, so that each category had 3-6 finalists, with 5 being the preferable number (in the event that either 4 or 6 had to be chosen, 4 were chosen for lesser categories, and 6 were chosen for the major categories).

-Aaron
Last edited by AwallaceUNC on Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Timon/Pumbaa fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Timon/Pumbaa fan »

Sent my votes in! 8)
castleinthesky
Anniversary Edition

Post by castleinthesky »

I will decline to vote in this seeing that Howl's Moving Castle, and many other great movies, miss the thing.

I Call for a Boycott! :x

How the hell do War of the Worlds, Chicken Little, and Charlie and the Choclate Factory, just to name a few, worthy of any nominations?

C'mon, Harry Potter was ok, but it was severly lacking in some areas, just because all the little fanboys of harry potter vote for it, dosn't mean it should be nominated for diddly squat. :roll: The same goes with the Time Burton fanboys.

It's pretty sad when King Kong dosn't get any big nomination. That proves that it is fanboys, not by popularity, because Kong is #5 of 2005.
Last edited by castleinthesky on Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Best Movies of 2009:
1. Moon
2. Inglorious Basterds
3. The Hurt Locker
4. Coraline
5. Ponyo
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

castleinthesky wrote:I will decline to vote in this seeing that Howl's Moving Castle, and many other great movies, miss the thing.
Your loss.
castleinthesky wrote:How the hell do War of the Worlds, Chicken Little, and Charlie and the Choclate Factory, just to name a few, worthy of any nominations?
I assume you meant "are" instead of "do", but they are worthy of nominations because people voted for them obviously. Not me - I haven't seen any of those.
castleinthesky wrote:C'mon, Harry Potter was ok, but it was severly lacking in some areas, just because all the little fanboys of harry potter vote for it, dosn't mean it should be nominated for diddly squat. :roll: The same goes with the Time Burton fanboys.
So we should just disqualify votes from fanboys and only accept what you nominate? That hardly seems like an awards competition. More like castleinthesky picks The Best of 2005. I can't think of an awards program that doesn't base its selections on what people vote for. If anything, this was an even purer process since there wasn't the whole issue of campaigning to us. Sure, the films that are nominated are the ones that more people saw, but just because people saw them doesn't mean they had to vote for them.

Seeing as how all of the Polls & Games survivors are dictated by alliances and what a select few people want to stay in play, I think it's highly refreshing to see awards based purely on what people like. And I think Aaron has done a great job so far at coordinating this. If negativity is all you're going to bring, perhaps it is best you boycott this thread.
"Fifteen years from now, when people are talking about 3-D, they will talk about the business before 'Monsters vs. Aliens' and the business after 'Monsters vs. Aliens.' It's the line in the sand." - Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president
castleinthesky
Anniversary Edition

Post by castleinthesky »

Luke wrote:
So we should just disqualify votes from fanboys and only accept what you nominate?
Fanboys only voted for these movies because they loved the movie because it either was a Harry Potter movie or a Time Burton movie. They voted for these movies because they like the thing related to the movie, not because the movie was actually great.

These awards are for the "best of", not which has a "bigger fan following". :roll:

Oh, and by the way Luke, Aaron is doing a great job. It is not his fault in what movies get nominated.
Best Movies of 2009:
1. Moon
2. Inglorious Basterds
3. The Hurt Locker
4. Coraline
5. Ponyo
Loomis
Signature Collection
Location: Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Post by Loomis »

Voted and posted.

I suspect that I was heavily leaning towards a certain comic-book adaptation, but it deserves to win SOMETHING this year.
Behind the Panels - Comic book news, reviews and podcast
The Reel Bits - All things film
Twitter - Follow me on Twitter
The Little Merman
Anniversary Edition

Post by The Little Merman »

:cry: ..sigh. Brokeback Mountain wasn't even nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay...

Still, I could'nt not vote, so, I sent mine in...

:roll:

*tlm
Paka
Anniversary Edition

Post by Paka »

Pardon my query, but who exactly is Time Burton? Did Tim Burton and Time Warner have a big merger that I haven't heard about? ;)

Anyhoo, this awards program is in the same vein as a People's Choice system, castle - it's not a "high arts" program like the Goya or BAFTA awards, for example. So the films that will be recognized are the mainstream, mass-produced, big-name offerings like Harry Potter and Star Wars and King Kong. Much as I'd love to increase the masses' awareness to other less-known but better-quality films, it's just the way the herd moves. :roll:

Dunno if I'll vote in this yet or not. I'll have to have a look-see at all the groups up for selection.
Life often leaves us standing bare, naked and dejected with a lost opportunity. Over the bleached bones and jumbled residues of numerous civilizations are written the pathetic words: "Too late."

~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
MickeyMousePal
Signature Collection

Post by MickeyMousePal »

I send my votes in Aaron!!!!

:twisted:
The Simpsons Season 11 Buy it Now!

Fox Sunday lineup:

8:00 The Simpsons
8:30 King of the Hill
9:00 Family Guy
9:30 American Dad

Living in the 1980's:
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

AwallaceUNC wrote:Best 2005 DVD Release of Any Pre-2006 Movie
Bambi: 2-Disc Platinum Special Edition (Buena Vista Home Entertainment)
Cinderella: 2-Disc Special Edition (Buena Vista Home Entertainment)
The Incredibles: 2-Disc Collector's Edition [Widescreen] (Buena Vista Home Entertainment)
Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith 2-Disc [Widescreen] (20th Century Fox Home Entertainment)
Toy Story: 2-Disc Special 10th Anniversary Edition (Buena Vista Home Entertainment)
The Wizard of Oz: 3-Disc Collector's Edition (Warner Home Video)
What, no Ben-Hur Four-Disc Collector's Edition??? Alan's gonna be pissed... :P :lol:

Anyway, I'll send my vote in later...

Escapay
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Zoltack
Collector's Edition

Post by Zoltack »

I put my votes in even though I didn't nominate anyone. I suck at nominating. ;)
Lucylover1986
Special Edition

Post by Lucylover1986 »

Alot of letdowns here.

No Sin City nominations!? No Rachel McAdams nominations!? :x

Also, are you still gonig to do the media awards Aaron or are you dropping it? The movie one is all I personally care about.
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

For those who feel scorned by the finalists, perhaps you can take some comfort in the fact that it was a very close race, and the arthouse films didn't exactly get trampled, even if they didn't all make the cut.

And yes, the media awards shall be tended to soon, perhaps in a slightly different capacity. More on that soon.

-Aaron
Last edited by AwallaceUNC on Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Hogi Bear
Special Edition
Location: New Zealand - Population: 60+ Million Sheep Origin: Unknown

Post by Hogi Bear »

I'd vote, but I don't think I'd do the nominations justice, because a lot those films I either haven't seen or they need to be rewatched to be properly judged.
No signature needed - Kyoto Animation put out some beautiful animation
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

Sent in my votes! Yay for Ian McDiarmid! :D
Timon/Pumbaa fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Timon/Pumbaa fan »

castleinthesky wrote: Fanboys only voted for these movies because they loved the movie because it either was a Harry Potter movie or a Time Burton movie. They voted for these movies because they like the thing related to the movie, not because the movie was actually great.
Oh yeah, I'm SURE you aren't guilty of this as well(*coughHowl'sMovingCastlecough*)

Also, King Kong was a terrible movie! :wink:
Prince Eric
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Eric »

AwallaceUNC wrote:For those who feel scorned by the finalists, perhaps you can take some comfort in the fact that it was a very close race, and the arthouse films didn't exactly get trampled, even if they didn't all make the cut.

And yes, the media awards shall be tended to soon, perhaps in a slightly different capacity. More on that soon.

-Aaron
I'm perfectly fine with this slate of finalists. It was to be expected. However, can I put in an early bid to change the voting system for next year? Even as a group voting process, this still does not determine who we think is the best of the year. It's very much in the vein of who-saw-what and how many movies can a nominate? Point in case: the same nominees appear over in over again. Basically, ten movies everyone saw were chosen and given nominations every which way. I chose not to vote because I knew this would happen, so I'm not complaining. It's just that the preferential voting system is the only way to determine what a group thinks is the best and to ensure that everyone's vote has equal weight.

:)
The Top 10 Films of 2005:
1) Brokeback Mountain 2) The Squid and the Whale 3) Me And You And Everyone We Know 4) The New World 5) A History of Violence 6) Match Point 7) Munich 8.) Crash 9) Wallace and Gromit 10) Pride & Prejudice
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Prince Eric wrote:It's just that the preferential voting system is the only way to determine what a group thinks is the best and to ensure that everyone's vote has equal weight.

Everyone's vote did have equal weight this way. It's inevitable that the movies that many people saw (and liked) wound up in the finalists. The only thing the preferential voting system does is tip the scales so that if a few people liked one movie, they can put it atop all their nominees and easily get it in. Which presumably leads to more alliances and eventually, finalists that only a few people saw, i.e. The UD Oscars.
"Fifteen years from now, when people are talking about 3-D, they will talk about the business before 'Monsters vs. Aliens' and the business after 'Monsters vs. Aliens.' It's the line in the sand." - Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president
castleinthesky
Anniversary Edition

Post by castleinthesky »

Timon/Pumba fan wrote:
Oh yeah, I'm SURE you aren't guilty of this as well(*coughHowl'sMovingCastlecough*)

Also, King Kong was a terrible movie! :wink:
There is no way in heck that Chicken Little or Madagascar are better than Howl's Moving Castle. :roll:
Best Movies of 2009:
1. Moon
2. Inglorious Basterds
3. The Hurt Locker
4. Coraline
5. Ponyo
Prince Eric
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Eric »

Luke wrote:
Prince Eric wrote:It's just that the preferential voting system is the only way to determine what a group thinks is the best and to ensure that everyone's vote has equal weight.

Everyone's vote did have equal weight this way. It's inevitable that the movies that many people saw (and liked) wound up in the finalists. The only thing the preferential voting system does is tip the scales so that if a few people liked one movie, they can put it atop all their nominees and easily get it in. Which presumably leads to more alliances and eventually, finalists that only a few people saw, i.e. The UD Oscars.
I think your logic is quite the other way around. Even if a group of people really liked, say, Brokeback Mountain, that doesn't mean everyone is going to put it as #1. Maybe I am naive, but I didn't think people would vote based on alliances (that's for Survivor, after all). Simply tallying up votes is majority rules, which results in similar nominees for every category. As for "tipping the scales," I would expect the preferential voting system would grant one nomination (two at most) to the minority of voters. That would be enough to make me happy. Everyone walks away with a little of something. On further expection of the nominees, I count fewer than ten movies represented overall. If that's what the majority wants, then I'm OK with that. I can step back from an annual thread, no probelm. But I ask, if that's the case, what's the point? :?
The Top 10 Films of 2005:
1) Brokeback Mountain 2) The Squid and the Whale 3) Me And You And Everyone We Know 4) The New World 5) A History of Violence 6) Match Point 7) Munich 8.) Crash 9) Wallace and Gromit 10) Pride & Prejudice