Walt Disney Treasures Wave 6 Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
tarheelblue23

Walt Disney Treasures Wave 6 Discussion

Post by tarheelblue23 »

Are there any rumors floating around regarding the content of the next Walt Disney Treasures release?
MikeyMouse
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MikeyMouse »

I haven't heard anything as of yet, but I suppose it would be fun to prognosticate (in no particular order, and more of a "wish list" rather than a prediction):
  • Rarities Vol. 2 (More Alice shorts, maybe some Oswald, Pied Piper, Little Hiawatha, etc.)
    Complete Chip 'n Dale
    Spin 'n Marty Season 2
    A collection of "Walt Disney Presents" and "Disneyland" shows
    Disney Educational Shorts (Ludwig Von Drake, etc.)
Any other ideas out there?
FantasiaMan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by FantasiaMan »

What about the next Donald set? Or another Disneyland one? Or the True-Life Adventures series?
tarheelblue23

Post by tarheelblue23 »

For some reason Maltin has said that True Life Adventures will not be included in the Treasures series, however, I believe they are still going to be released on DVD. Chip N Dale is a must have. I just dont know if they have enough shorts to fill a DVD. It would be great if they could combine them on a DVD with other shorts(example mickey and minnie shorts or Donald and Daisey shorts). I also believe there are more Silly Symphonies they could release.
Farid
Limited Issue

Post by Farid »

I mailed back and forward with Mr. Maltin about a month ago, and he mentioned that there may be more Silly Symphonies coming up. :)

The wave is still in preliminary stage, so not much is coming out. But he didn't spill any beans.
Lars Vermundsberget
Collector's Edition

Post by Lars Vermundsberget »

I can't tell you what you should put on the wish list for upcoming Treasures. But I can tell why I think the "Complete Chip and Dale" isn't such a great idea: Most of the shorts would be repeated from the DD sets (and possibly a few others).

There are about as many Silly Symphonies left as were included on the first set, so a volume two is one obvious title for one of the upcoming Treasures releases.

About as obvious are Pluto volume two and DD volumes three and four.

I guess I wouldn't mind seeing the second week of the Mickey Mouse Club. :)
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Re: Next Treasures wave?

Post by AwallaceUNC »

tarheelblue23 wrote:Are there any rumors floating around regarding the content of the next Walt Disney Treasures release?
What's this?? Another Tar Heel?? Welcome! :wave:

-Aaron
mikemgmve
Gold Classic Collection

Post by mikemgmve »

A "Partners" idea would be nice, for Chip N Dale if they have enough to fill their own collection. However, Daisy and Minnie shorts would likely end up on the Mickey or Donald collections, wouldn't they?

Definitely another volume of Silly Symphonies needs to be released, and of course more Donald (love mah donald!)

I think a release of Song of the South as apart of the treasures collection would be the best way to combat any of their worries about boycotts and such. That way we'll have the whole 'perspective' thing given to us, and its released more quietly, since the treasures are not that publicly known, except to big fans.
MinnieMe
Special Edition

Post by MinnieMe »

mikemgmve wrote:A "Partners" idea would be nice, for Chip N Dale if they have enough to fill their own collection. However, Daisy and Minnie shorts would likely end up on the Mickey or Donald collections, wouldn't they?

Definitely another volume of Silly Symphonies needs to be released, and of course more Donald (love mah donald!)

I think a release of Song of the South as apart of the treasures collection would be the best way to combat any of their worries about boycotts and such. That way we'll have the whole 'perspective' thing given to us, and its released more quietly, since the treasures are not that publicly known, except to big fans.
I agree that another volume of Silly Symphonies is definite to come. I also think that Chip and Dale would make a great treasure and we'd get to see a great restoration (in contrast to the Classic Cartoons volume).

On the subject of Song of the South being released as part of a treasure, the question arises: how would they fit it in with anything else?

Also, I think that when they do decide to release SotS, they will promote it as being "first time available on DVD" in order to increase sales (Disney never turns down an opportunity to make $ and I think they'll capitalize on this one). Despite the fact that it isn't really a great movie, many will buy it simply because it hasn't ever been released in the US and it is advertised that way. They'll want to know what the fuss is all about (I know many of us on UD will purchase it for that reason alone).

I don't see boycotts arising from it's release- it's been hyped way more than it should have been. After watching it, I really did wonder if people were being overly sensitive. And again, it would be hard to stick it in with the Treasures since it doesn't fit into a certain category.
mcduck
Limited Issue

Post by mcduck »

Well I think a second volume of Sillly S. would be a big hit, Pluto v 2 of course seems also logical, what I whish is that they do not repeat cartoons like The Volunteer Worker on DD series, they could do it better adding instead the short from Fantasia 2000... I also hope they do a better job with the cases...
For your reference and records my native language is Spanish.
FOREVER FIESTY
MinnieMe
Special Edition

Post by MinnieMe »

mcduck wrote:I also hope they do a better job with the cases...
What do you mean by that? The tins, or the picture on the front?

I've actually never thought about the "cover art" of Treasures before (if that's what you mean) because they are usually so simple.
MikeyMouse
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MikeyMouse »

Ooops! Forgot about the Second Vol. of Silly Symphonies...that's a must! And I guess we can expect more Donald and Pluto as well...though hopefully in better condition than Donald Vol. 2

Eventually you'd think Maltin would find a way to release the entire collection of shorts...if there aren't enough Chip 'n Dale to have their own set, they might end up on a "hodge podge" of sorts collection with a variety of other things.
Last edited by MikeyMouse on Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lars Vermundsberget
Collector's Edition

Post by Lars Vermundsberget »

mikemgmve wrote:A "Partners" idea would be nice, for Chip N Dale if they have enough to fill their own collection. However, Daisy and Minnie shorts would likely end up on the Mickey or Donald collections, wouldn't they?
The Mickey volumes are finished and most of Minnie's appearances are already covered. Perhaps there are a few more left for Pluto volume two, I'm not quite sure.

According to one book, Chip and Dale appeared in 24 shorts - only three of them were in their own "series". This means that the rest has been / will be covered elsewhere - most of them in the DD volumes.

So, seriously...?
mikemgmve wrote:Definitely another volume of Silly Symphonies needs to be released, and of course more Donald (love mah donald!)
Not just "more Donald", but the rest of Donald. :)
mikemgmve
Gold Classic Collection

Post by mikemgmve »

Lars Vermundsberget wrote: Not just "more Donald", but the rest of Donald. :)
Definitely agreed!!! They've only covered about half his shorts, so I think we can expect at least another 2 volumes.

I suppose they could just throw the 3 Chip N Dale shorts onto a package with other random Disney character cartoons that aren't included with the main 4 that have been released.
Last edited by mikemgmve on Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Farid
Limited Issue

Post by Farid »

As I wrote: Silly Symphonies was definately mentioned by the man himself Mr. Maltin. He said I could look forward to more Sily Symphonies for starters. Not anything sure, but is was mentioned.

So that may be your first indication ;).
creid
Gold Classic Collection

Post by creid »

My hope or guess on the animations:

Donald Duck #3
Silly Symphonies 2.

I suspect remaining three waves will each have a character based treasure (DD #4 & Pluto #2). I am also hoping against a Chip n' Dale because most of toons will be on the DD sets and I am tired of endless double dipping.

I do pray some of the Oswalds get released but there is rights issues. Although the cartoons are long PD, Universal owns rights to the character and limits Disney ability to put such a historical piece of animation history on a Treasure. And we know how Universal much would put into releasing a quality cartoon set. (Where's Woody????)
creid
(The babysitter bandit)...“stealing the valuable objects it took a family a lifetime to shop for.” – The Simpsons
Loomis
Signature Collection
Location: Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Post by Loomis »

I really like this "wishlist" from Jim Hill Media:

http://www.jimhillmedia.com/article.php?id=1781

My favourite, unsurprisingly, is the suggestion of Disneyland USA Volume 2.
JimHillMedia.com wrote:DISNEYLAND USA PART TWO: A disc set that would actually feature the documentary "Disneyland USA" that was oddly absent from the first set and also include excerpts from some of those early Disneyland tv shows that showed the park like "A Trip Through Adventureland." I'd also include that Harry Anderson special about Disneyland. Did you know that the husband of Margaret Kerry (the original live action reference model for Tinker Bell) filmed a behind-the-scenes documentary of the opening day of Disneyland? Margaret's husband is the one who came up with the idea of having those cameras on forklifts. For many years, that documentary was lost. But Dave Smith recently located a copy with all the credits removed. So Dick Brown's director credit is missing as well as Hal Smith's narration credit and Margaret's writing credit. (I really wish they could find the footage for the "second opening" of Disneyland in 1959 where Art Linkletter hosted another ninety minute special for Kodak.)
However, I agree that more Silly Symphonies and other unreleased cartoons are likely, and there is a very strong possibility that True Life Adventures will be seen in an upcoming wave (they must have had a hug dsemand for them, surely?)
Behind the Panels - Comic book news, reviews and podcast
The Reel Bits - All things film
Twitter - Follow me on Twitter
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

Given the pattern of the Treasures releases (4-3-4-3-4), I'm expecting probably 3 Treasures for December 2006, being the usual mix of Live-Action and Animated. As for which three they'll be, I'm guessing a mix from these possibilities:

Silly Symphonies Volume 2 - Simply put, it's long overdue.

Chip'n'Dale - Disney proved with OTFL and CDV2 that there will be several chances of double-dipping. So there's a chance that Chip'n'Dale, with their 24 shorts, will be spread on 2 discs (12 shorts per disc would leave a heckuva lot of unused space though, even with bonus features included).

More "Disneyland" Episodes - Don't know what the focuse would be, though. Perhaps episodes centered on the behind-the-scenes looks at park attractions. "Disneyland Showtime" from 1970 has a great segment on the Haunted Mansion, and on the PotC disc they have the segment about the attraction as well. The double-edged sword though is if it should be full episodes (for the big fans who want them complete) or if it should simply be the segments devoted to the attractions (for those who just want to see as much as they can about the attractions without seeing other stuff).

Mickey Mouse Club: Week Two - Though I don't like how they had to have a Treasure wasted just for Week One (couldn't they have simply done 20-episode volumes outside of the Treasures sets? We could've gotten True-Life Adventures instead!), they may go ahead and waste an entry on the second week of MMC.

Complete Pluto Volume 2 - Because previous volume sets had an interim wave between them (MMILC, MMBW, CD), it's expected that CPV2 will come out since Wave 5 was its interim wave.

Moochie - Considering that we got out-of-left-field choices like Elfego Baca/Swamp Fox, maybe we'll get lucky and they'll release the Moochie movies.

I'm NOT expecting:

Song of the South - As prestigious as the Treasures is/was, Disney knows it can get bigger bucks if they give the movie a general release as a 60th Anniversary Edition than as a limited edition Treasures. They want the money fast and early, and they won't be getting a profit 5 years from now when private collectors will sell their 500 copies of Song of the South for $150 a pop.

Chronological Donald Volume 3 - As mentioned about CP, they had an interim wave between MMILC, MMBW, and CD. So it's likely this will be saved for the December 2007 Treasures and the December 2006 Treasures is an interim wave for Donald.

Spin and Marty Season 2 - Same reason as CDV3, there's always been an interim wave between volume sets.

True-Life Adventures - Mainly because it's a given that it won't be a Treasures set anymore.

Escapay
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
MinnieMe
Special Edition

Post by MinnieMe »

Just thought about this- since they had a Spin and Marty treasure, do you think they'll put out a Hardy Boys Treasure?

For Christmas I bought my mom the "Best of the Mickey Mouse Club" DVD as one of her gifts. I knew she wouldn't be hardcore enough to want an entire Treasure, but knew she'd love to revisit her favorite show as a kid. There was a segment introducing the Hardy Boys series and she kept talking about how it was her favorite series associated with the MMC.

Would they ever release it as it's own Treasure?

And I'm going to say again... I'm really disappointed that we won't be seeing a True Life Adventures Treasure :cry:
Timon/Pumbaa fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Timon/Pumbaa fan »

MinnieMe wrote: On the subject of Song of the South being released as part of a treasure, the question arises: how would they fit it in with anything else?
Well that's the same story with "The Reluctant Dragon", but they ended up putting it onto the "Walt Disney Treasures: Behind The Walt Disney Studios". Even though there IS more than just RD, I personally think the only reason they even released that tin was just so RD could be in the Treasure series somehow.

I also believe SOTS will become a Treasure. I mean if Disney wanted to try and avoid all controversy, and still sell SOTS to true Disney fans, the Treasure seems like to be the best deal IMO.

I think SOTS will be placed along with "The Complete Pluto Volume 2" and "Disneyland U.S.A Part 2" and there's Wave 6 for ya!