The Fox and the Hound going OOP

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
daryliscool1
Gold Classic Collection

The Fox and the Hound going OOP

Post by daryliscool1 »

I just saw that this title is going OOP so it can be rereleased to coincide with its sequel. This is great- I hope we get a two disc treatment for this one! However, I am somewhat angry, as I just bought this DVD last week. Oh well- it'll be worth it in the end (as long as the new release is better than the GC version) !:)
Last edited by daryliscool1 on Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
castleinthesky
Anniversary Edition

Post by castleinthesky »

I would love Fox and the Hound to get 2-disk treatment, but I doubt it. First, it is one of Disneys "forgettables", or movies that Disney would like to forget, which includes all the animated classics from The Sword in the Stone through Oliver and Company (excluding The Jungle Book and Winnie the Pooh). The best it will get is probably a one disk special edition similar to The Emperor's New Groove latest version, to supplement its sequel.
Best Movies of 2009:
1. Moon
2. Inglorious Basterds
3. The Hurt Locker
4. Coraline
5. Ponyo
Disney Villain
Special Edition

Post by Disney Villain »

I am so excited about this news. The Fox and the Hound may not be my favorite Disney Film, but it is a CLASSIC, and it deserves a proper release. I just hope Disney won't do what they did with Tarzan and TENG. My biggest fear is that right after The Little Mermaid Platinum Disney will release 1-disc Editions of Dumbo, and The Fox and the Hound.
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: The Fox and the Hound going OOP

Post by Escapay »

daryliscool1 wrote:Oh well- it'll be worth it in the end (as long as the new release is better than the GC version) !:)
Considering that the only worthwhile bonus feature on the GC version is a 1988 re-release trailer, any new version is welcome. And maybe now we'll get an answer to its true aspect ratio.

Escapay
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Miss Jo
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Miss Jo »

It definitely makes sense to release The Fox and the Hound this year, since this is its 25th anniversary. However, that means Lady and the Tramp, The Little Mermaid, and The Fox and the Hound will all be released this year. Does that make a 10th anniversary edition of The Hunchback less likely? How many animated classic DVDs does Disney usually release in a year? I know last year there were four, but Toy Story isn't really a Disney animated classic, being Pixar and all.

I'm just getting a bit anxious, not having any actual confirmation of a 2006 release of HOND yet.
"I don't get high on drugs; I get high on Disney."
Pasta67
Anniversary Edition

Post by Pasta67 »

Miss Jo wrote:However, that means Lady and the Tramp, The Little Mermaid, and The Fox and the Hound will all be released this year. Does that make a 10th anniversary edition of The Hunchback less likely? How many animated classic DVDs does Disney usually release in a year?
I'm getting a little scared about the possibility of a Hunchback Special Edition this year as well. Don't forget, Special Editions of Dumbo and Lilo & Stitch are 99.9% confirmed by Disney as well as Lady & the Tramp, The Little Mermaid, Chicken Little, and Fox & the Hound. That's already 6 animated classics, and the rumored Hunchback makes 7, and I don't see Disney being able to release incredible sets with great, remastered audio/video for all of these movies in only a year (it's their recent laziness that has made me come to this conclusion). As much as it pains me to say it, Hunchback doesn't sound like a possibility for 2006 anymore. :(
- John
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Pasta67 wrote:
Miss Jo wrote:However, that means Lady and the Tramp, The Little Mermaid, and The Fox and the Hound will all be released this year. Does that make a 10th anniversary edition of The Hunchback less likely? How many animated classic DVDs does Disney usually release in a year?
I'm getting a little scared about the possibility of a Hunchback Special Edition this year as well. Don't forget, Special Editions of Dumbo and Lilo & Stitch are 99.9% confirmed by Disney as well as Lady & the Tramp, The Little Mermaid, Chicken Little, and Fox & the Hound. That's already 6 animated classics, and the rumored Hunchback makes 7, and I don't see Disney being able to release incredible sets with great, remastered audio/video for all of these movies in only a year (it's their recent laziness that has made me come to this conclusion). As much as it pains me to say it, Hunchback doesn't sound like a possibility for 2006 anymore. :(
TLM needs a concurrent SE to be released with it, it's been the practice with all the other platinums, so Hunchback will probably be vying for that position with Fox and the Hound (though I'm sure many would prefer Hunchback to get released as a 2-discer before Fox and the Hound).

What we know:

Lady and the Tramp - February 2006
Chicken Little - March 2006
The Little Mermaid - October 2006

What's speculated and likely to be true:
Dumbo - Spring 2006
Lilo and Stitch - July 2006

What's speculated here with no other mentionings anywhere else:
The Fox and the Hound - Sometime 2006
Hunchback of Notre Dame - Sometime 2006

Since we're not getting a Pixar movie on DVD this year, we can rule that out as a release with a platinum. And as far as DTVs go this year, I doubt those would be high priority 2-discers, same with their compilation DVDs.

Escapay
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Pasta67
Anniversary Edition

Post by Pasta67 »

Escapay wrote:What's speculated and likely to be true:
Dumbo - Spring 2006
Can't we put the Dumbo Special Edition in the "What we know" pile considering it's been confirmed that a trailer for the set is on the Funny Factory DVDs?

My guess for the Platinums and the Special Editions that are released alongside them are:

- Lady & the Tramp + Dumbo (I know it's early, but still possible)
- The Little Mermaid + Hunchback (considering it will be released this year)
- Fox & the Hound + its sequel
- Lilo & Stitch by itself
- Chicken Little by itself (considering it's not a "newly remastered and re-released special edition like the others)
- John
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Pasta67 wrote:
Escapay wrote:What's speculated and likely to be true:
Dumbo - Spring 2006
Can't we put the Dumbo Special Edition in the "What we know" pile considering it's been confirmed that a trailer for the set is on the Funny Factory DVDs?
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Too lazy to click edit, so it'll stay, lol.

Escapay
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
musicradio77
Anniversary Edition

Re: The Fox and the Hound going OOP

Post by musicradio77 »

daryliscool1 wrote:I just saw that this title is going OOP so it can be rereleased to coincide with its sequel. This is great- I hope we get a two disc treatment for this one! However, I am somewhat angry, as I just bought this DVD last week. Oh well- it'll be worth it in the end (as long as the new release is better than the GC version) !:)
"The Fox and the Hound" was a great movie. I have it on VHS as part of the "Gold Collection". That movie was made 25 years ago and it was good. It is slowly out of print.
Disney Villain
Special Edition

Post by Disney Villain »

I look at it like this- After this year there is only one more year until the Platinum's end. Now what happens after 2007? Disney is going to need to release some new "format" for their classics like a "classic gold collection" or something. By 2008 I think Disney will start releasing things in the Blue-Ray format. Because of this I think that Disney is going to try to release all their classics on new editions by the end of 2007 so that in 2008 they can start a new collection. So far since 2001 many movies has become "Special Editions" such as Sleeping Beauty, Pocahontas, Alice in Wonderland, Mulan, TENG, Tarzan and more. This looks like Disney trying to release as much as possible by 2008 (the end of the Platinums). Therefore I think that we will see Dumbo, Hunchback, and The Fox and the Hound this year. Next year (and maybe even this year too) I think we will see many more upgraded classics being released.

Here is my Prediction:
Lady & the Tramp Platinum-February
The Hunchback of Notre Dame-Spring
Lilo & Stitch- Summer (like Tarzan 2 was)
Dumbo (1-Disc NEW EDITION)-Fall
The Little Mermaid Platinum -Fall
The Fox and the Hound (1-Disc NEW EDITION)-Late Fall Early Winter

The Jungle Book Platinum-February
Hercules Anniversary Edition-Spring
ANIMATED CLASSIC-Summer
ANIMATED CLASSIC-Fall
101 Dalmatians Platinum (and its live action movies)-Fall
ANIMATED CLASSIC-Winter
Cinderella 3- Winter

New kind of Collection
Sleeping Beauty
Pinocchio
Peter Pan
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

This year is extremely crazy. It's got to be the most jam-packed year for Disney DVD. Observe (I'm only listing 2-discers and animated classics):

2003:
Treasure Planet
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea: Special Edition
The Love Bug: Special Edition
Sleeping Beauty: Special Edition
The Lion King: Platinum Edition
Finding Nemo: Collector's Edition
Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl: Collector's Edition

2004:
Alice in Wonderland: Masterpiece Edition
Brother Bear: Special Edition
Home on the Range
Aladdin: Platinum Edition
Mulan: Special Edition
Mary Poppins: 40th Anniversary Edition

2005:
Bambi: Platinum Edition
The Incredibles: Collector's Edition
Pocahontas: 10th Anniversary Edition
Cinderella: Platinum Edition
Toy Story: 10th Anniversary Edition
Toy Story 2: Special Edition

2006:
Lady and the Tramp: Platinum Edition
Chicken Little
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe: Collector's Edition
Lilo & Stitch: Special Edition
Dumbo: 65th Anniversary Edition
The Little Mermaid: Platinum Edition
Cars

I still have every ounce of hope left that a Hunchback: 10th AE will be released because it's one of the only laserdisc boxed sets left that Disney hasn't ported over to DVD. With that in mind, though, a Fox and the Hound: 25th AE is looking less likely (especially if we get Song of the South this year). On the other hand, you could argue that Disney's rushing out as many SEs as they can before Blu-Ray kicks in. If that's the case, expect this year and next to be crammed with a lot of re-releases, which would make Hunchback, Song of the South, Fox and the Hound, and even Bedknobs and Broomsticks more likely.
daryliscool1
Gold Classic Collection

Post by daryliscool1 »

Disney Villain wrote:I look at it like this- After this year there is only one more year until the Platinum's end. Now what happens after 2007?
Actually, the Platinum line was extended to cover four more movies- Pinocchio, Fantasia, Peter Pan, and Sleeping Beauty. This info was found here, under the PE explanation. http://www.ultimatedisney.com/releasetypes.htm

So that means the Platinums will keep on coming until October of 2009. After that is anyone's guess. Maybe the switch to Blu-Ray? Maybe they'll add more titles to the Platinum line? Maybe they'll just start rereleasing the old Platinums?
Joe Carioca
Collector's Edition

Post by Joe Carioca »

Even though the possibility of a special edition of The Fox and the Hound is quite exciting (even if it is one of my least favorite), I wonder how special this edition can be as far as bonus features go. Considering this is probably going to be a 1-disc edition, I wonder if all Disney is going to do is to include the extras released in the foreign versions of the DVD (art gallery, Sing Along, Pluto short, "Passing the Baton" featurette). I sure hope they put more effort on this DVD.

If Disney themselves reported that they are cutting back on home video production (and as the Treasures, TENG and Tarzan have proved, not just in quantity but in quality as well), I'm expecting the official announcements of these special editions with some trepidation. Let's hope that at least "Dumbo" gets the 2-disc treatment.
Tarzan.
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Tarzan. »

I just hope that Disney doesn't release The Hunchback of Notre Dame on a single-disc edition because this is one of my favorite movies and I want to see it completely restored and in a 2-disc 10th Anniversary Edition.
Timon/Pumbaa fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Timon/Pumbaa fan »

Disneykid wrote: With that in mind, though, a Fox and the Hound: 25th AE is looking less likely (especially if we get Song of the South this year).
I think we can cross out Song of the South, becuase if it does come out this year, I'm expecting it to come as a "Walt Disney Treasure" for Wave 6! Because not only has it been rumored MANY times, but I think Disney wants to release this film as quietly as possible and how much quiet can you get than being part of a Treasure series?
Disneybell
Banned Deadbeat

fox and the hound se coming?

Post by Disneybell »

hey guys is fox and the hound getting a special edition? the reason i ask is over christmas break my fiance got me fox and the hound the gold collection disc. so if a special edition is coming out soon should i have him return it to best buy or keep the one he gave me? is the quality good on the gc? if fox and the hound is getting a se when will it be getting released
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Hi Disneybell, good to see you posting again. I'm going to merge this with the recent thread on <i>Fox and the Hound</i>.

While I have your attention, I sent you a number of e-mails and a PM late last December regarding Secret Santa. If you could reply to any one of them, it would be wholeheartedly appreciated. Thanks!
"Fifteen years from now, when people are talking about 3-D, they will talk about the business before 'Monsters vs. Aliens' and the business after 'Monsters vs. Aliens.' It's the line in the sand." - Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president